PDA

View Full Version : John Hinkley granted overnight visits...

TheEschaton
12-30-2005, 07:44 PM
I hope this judge never runs for President....

------------------------------------------
Judge Grants Hinckley Overnight Visits By ANDREW BRIDGES, Associated Press Writer
51 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - A federal judge Friday loosened the restrictions on John W. Hinckley Jr., allowing the hospitalized presidential assailant to spend seven overnight visits with his parents in Williamsburg, Va.

Hinckley, who shot President Ronald Reagan in 1981, had been permitted to leave St. Elizabeths Hospital in Washington for outings around the nation's capital. He wanted to make longer trips and travel outside the area to his parents' community in southeastern Virginia.

U.S. District Judge Paul L. Friedman ruled Hinckley could be allowed three, three-night visits and another four, four-night visits.

"He is not permitted to leave one or both parents' supervision at any time during the course of the conditional release" except when the hospital deems it necessary, Friedman ruled.

The government had opposed Hinckley's requests to visit Williamsburg, a three-hour drive from the forensic hospital where he has been held since 1982.

When Hinckley shot Reagan and three other people in 1981 as the president emerged from a downtown hotel, he was suffering from major depression and a psychotic disorder that led to an obsession with actress Jodie Foster.

Hinckley, found not guilty by reason of insanity in 1982, said he shot Reagan to impress Foster.

His doctors have said his depression and psychosis are in full remission.

Since last year, Hinckley has been allowed occasional local overnight visits with his parents within a 50-mile radius of St. Elizabeths Hospital.

Valthissa
12-30-2005, 10:20 PM
and some of us in James City County are not pleased to know he will be visiting here soon.

C/Valth

Jorddyn
12-30-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Valthissa
and some of us in James City County are not pleased to know he will be visiting here soon.

C/Valth

So long as youre not president, youre golden!

Jorddyn

Skirmisher
12-30-2005, 10:21 PM
Tamral would know how to handle this!

Parkbandit
12-31-2005, 04:46 PM
Hinkley should have been put to death years ago.

Back
12-31-2005, 05:11 PM
Foster is probably alarmed at this news.

Warriorbird
12-31-2005, 06:07 PM
Hinkley should have been put to death years ago.

Definitely.

Back
12-31-2005, 06:28 PM
Devo should be put into the into the Country Music Hall of Fame (http://www.countrymusichalloffame.com/).

DeV
01-01-2006, 11:14 AM
This is some straight bullshit.

His doctors have said his depression and psychosis are in full remission.
Too bad he couldn't have been tried after this occured. This man should not be allowed overnight visits to anyplace except back to his padded room every night.

Latrinsorm
01-01-2006, 04:00 PM
I don't get this. Crazy people don't always stay crazy forever, why are people upset that he's let out for a little bit?

Skirmisher
01-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm
I don't get this. Crazy people don't always stay crazy forever, why are people upset that he's let out for a little bit?

I go along with the whole temporary insanity type of defense and I do think that crimes of passion also may find some lverage with me as far as reducing the punishment, but premeditated murder I'm not so easy on.

Once that line has been crossed I have a hard time taking someone's word that that pandora's box can be truly closed.

Let's let someone try to kill you, or better yet a loved one, and perhaps fail and then see how unconcerned you are when that person is to be released as "healed".

Latrinsorm
01-01-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm positive I'd say the same thing.