PDA

View Full Version : A new idea / X-post from officials.

Stunseed
12-27-2005, 10:14 PM
As much as I love alterations and the GM's who run the merchants who give em out...I would love to see another few GM-run merchants who's primary concern is the RP of the gear they gave out. Vaeregost, for example, knocked my socks off with the depth of his ideas. I already have a blade ( axe in my case ) to truly cherish, but instead of a general alterer making your vorpal blade of infernal DOOM, I would love to see someone akin to Vaeregost come around and get some idea of your RP situation, and then create a blade that makes you mold to its image. ANY gear is like that, and I think more people will be happy with the "normalcy" of items. There can only be one Sorrow, but if you get a weapon you cherish, maybe it can be your Sorrow, or Betsy ( in my case ), or my other characters Quickfang.

This doesn't apply to just blades, it applies to anything and everything made unique. People who go to merchants know there is a small chance to be chosen, I guess that perhaps less work should be done, to ensure quality and incorporate some melding of ideas. I'm sure I will be tarred and feathered for this idea. Heh.

( Personal note to show sincerity ) I've owned many, many nice weapons. I love testing them, enjoying them for what they are, and in the end I try to see weapons go a good home. That's one of the main parts that I enjoy about our world of Elanthia. I own ( in my own mind, I know its not the best stat-wise, and I can live with that ) the best weapon ever, so when my eyes momentarily stray from my Betsy, I know what blade I'll use for the rest of my days.

I guess I'd like to see more "ownership" of the items made for your character's own RP, and those items become priceless in the player's mind. Having in-depth merchants who assist, mold, and temper your personal ideas to create your dream item I think will help this.

Merchants whom I think fit this bill are obviously Vaeregost, Siolan, and some of Hadlir's various forms have shown this.

Bobmuhthol
12-27-2005, 11:20 PM
I sincerely hope that you are not the author of this, because whoever is loves tons of penis to no end.

TheEschaton
12-27-2005, 11:27 PM
Isn't the point of an alteration to make a weapon unique and "your own"? That's how I always do my alters that is.

You're saying the merchant should take the time to know a player's character, and MAKE an alter based on that? Way too time intensive, you'll have people crying bloody murder and Simu capitulating to please the merchant hangers who want their 30 services in a merchant event.

That being said - I loved the censer that one merchant made for my priest.

-TheE-

Terminator X
12-28-2005, 10:03 AM
I recently made a post in the Races folder concerning very similar matters. It would be nice for items that do exist, made so by official documents or through GH/GM-controlled PCs in events like poetry sessions, seminars, etc., to actually have themselves be manifested in the hands of a few lucky adventurers through some kind of merchant-medium -- (Perhaps some petrified wood from the jungle of Sharath, or a Nathalene agate from the Far East, etc.)

- The Termite

Nilandia
12-28-2005, 07:32 PM
I would kill for a piece of Nathalene agate, without question. The sword Vaeregost made for my Erithi is one of my most prized possessions.

Gretchen