PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

Fallen
12-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Has anyone as yet played this game, and would care to share their opinion? I am quite the fan of the series, and am likely to go buy this title tonight.

Any info for the new Castlevania on the Gameboy DS would be appreciated as well.

Edited because I sux at words.

[Edited on 12-22-2005 by Fallen]

Hips
12-22-2005, 06:19 PM
The DS game (Dawn of Sorrow) is very, very good. The soul-collecting to upgrade weapons can get a little tedious, but otherwise I highly recommend it.

Numbers
12-22-2005, 06:27 PM
I want a DS.

At first I thought it was a little hokey (still better than the PSP, though,) but today I went to Best Buy to pick up some stuff, and they had a DS kiosk there with Metroid Pinball and Mario Kart.

I literally spent 45 minutes playing the thing. So much fun. The games are expensive, though. =(

Jayvn
12-23-2005, 03:37 PM
I still play sotn and wish they'd release another sidescroller :( damn all this new fangled 3d crap! hehe...

Stunseed
12-23-2005, 03:54 PM
I hope I get to play this at one point. I'm a huge fan of the series, and own Lament of Innocence < sp >.

Fallen
12-23-2005, 04:56 PM
I still play sotn and wish they'd release another sidescroller damn all this new fangled 3d crap! hehe... >>

Pick up a Gameboy DS. All the Castlevania's for the handhelds are in the same format of SOTN. They all ROCK too.

I bought Curse of Darkness yesterday and stayed up for hours playing it. The game is awesome. If you enjoyed Lament of Innocence for the PS, you will love this game as well. The voice acting in this one is better, though the music isn't quite up to the Castlevania standard.

Tip: You can't steal until you learn the ability, so dont waste time trying like I did.

Evarin's player - Who is a bigger fan of the series than Stunseed.

Stunseed
01-12-2006, 10:49 PM
< Evarin's player - Who is a bigger fan of the series than Stunseed. >

Bump.

Have you beaten this yet, Fallen? I'm about halfway through now, and kicking major ass with the fist-based weaponry.

Numbers
01-12-2006, 11:06 PM
I splurged with Christmas money and picked up a DS with a bunch of games, including this one. Loads of old-school fun.

I'm not too deep into the game yet... I've only just gotten the double-jump. I have an obsession with soul farming. If I stumble across an enemy whose soul I don't have yet, I kill it over and over until I get it. And if the soul turns out to be a familiar, I then spend time levelling it up. I just got Persephone's vacuum, which is a really nice soul; let's you steal health from enemies.

I'm not a big fan of the fist weapons, but I don't have many yet. Too weak, and you need to get too close to do any damage. I prefer the big ass slow swords and axes, like the falchion and the bhuj. One swing, one kill.

Divinity
01-13-2006, 02:55 AM
Have it. Beat it. LOI is much better.

3d my ass. It's all one freaking platform. I could go on with spoilers and weapons with that bunch of crap, but I don't know if you were looking for that or not.

That and only one song is worth listening to. This game definitely makes me sadface.

Fallen
01-13-2006, 08:08 AM
I found it enjoyable, but repetitive. Like you said, the boards are all pretty flat and built along the same lines. The first couple levels seemed to have some thought put into them, though that city board? It seems that the game was rushed out the door without enough polishing.

Still, worth playing for Castlevania fans. The music did suck, but the voice acting is better in this one than the last.

Drinin
01-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Dawn of Sorrow was excellent, although a little short for my tastes (and the ending sucked, unless you like open-endedness). I beat it in like 10 hours of gameplay, although there was a tiny bit of the map that I couldn't figure out how to get to, oh well. Fun game, challenging bosses (until you get your strategy down), and light on the puzzles (I'm not a puzzle guy).

Drinin
01-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by 3704558
I splurged with Christmas money and picked up a DS with a bunch of games, including this one. Loads of old-school fun.

I'm not too deep into the game yet... I've only just gotten the double-jump. I have an obsession with soul farming. If I stumble across an enemy whose soul I don't have yet, I kill it over and over until I get it. And if the soul turns out to be a familiar, I then spend time levelling it up. I just got Persephone's vacuum, which is a really nice soul; let's you steal health from enemies.

I'm not a big fan of the fist weapons, but I don't have many yet. Too weak, and you need to get too close to do any damage. I prefer the big ass slow swords and axes, like the falchion and the bhuj. One swing, one kill.

And I hated familiars, heh. I used the ice spike power from those ice witches or whatever, and the exploding plant power the most. I too used big ass weapons. I used a falchion for like 75% of the game, then made some badass axe for the last part of the game.

Divinity
01-14-2006, 12:59 AM
I think the most fun was the endless tower. That's.. about it. To get to the "secrets" in the game you have to use different weapons to level your familiar and get them different skills and crap.

I do agree with you, Evarin. The voice acting was better. I liked the LOI approach though. There were actual, you know.. secrets. Places you had to actually look for. I am the puzzle type person though. *Shrugs*

Also, when you get the optional character at the end, that was kinda fun, for like.. the first two areas.

I kinda got bitchy about the play time on the last Castlevania. This one was even shorter! WTF is up with that?!

Meh, I think they could have done a hell of a lot better.

Fallen
01-14-2006, 01:29 AM
The Gameboy ones rock.