PDA

View Full Version : Special Announcement: Emergency Maintenance

FinisWolf
12-22-2005, 02:32 AM
Special Announcement: Emergency Maintenance - All Logins Down Thursday Morning

We need to do some emergency maintenance Thursday morning that involves removing the ability to log into the games, website, and forums. We will remove the ability to log in at 7 AM Eastern time. We should be done by 12 Noon Eastern if not earlier.

If you are logged into the games beforehand, you will be able to continue playing. We will update this notice when we are finished with the maintenance.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

https://www.play.net/status/

Sean of the Thread
12-22-2005, 02:47 AM
not that I care because I don't play but 5 fucking hours? If my servers/product (when I worked) was down for more than 30 minutes it would be a major major fucked situation.

They're are noobs no doubt.

Fallen
12-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Ugh. No official boards this morning. That will put a damper on my work (heh) day.

Czeska
12-22-2005, 09:23 AM
GS down while I"m on vacation ... I should climb back in bed

Tromp
12-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Czeska

Sheesh is that all you have to wake up for whilst on vacation? :D

Mistomeer
12-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Xyelin
not that I care because I don't play but 5 fucking hours? If my servers/product (when I worked) was down for more than 30 minutes it would be a major major fucked situation.

They're are noobs no doubt.

Yeah, no shit. No company I have ever worked for would go for 5 hour downtimes. Also, who does fucking maitenence at that time? Our times have always been around 2am.

Gan
12-22-2005, 10:07 AM
If our software solutions caused our client's servers to be down for more than 25/30 minutes then we would be out of business.

Imagine telling a hospital that their information systems would be down for 5 hours for some emergency maintenance. Hospital administration would spaz.

Surely this emergency maintenance does not involve physical hardware but recoding something involving the login process? It just seems backwards if you ask me. :shrug:

Sietzer
12-22-2005, 10:24 AM
They adding anything new? Didnt this happon when paladins came out??

Tromp
12-22-2005, 10:41 AM
I'll take bets that there will be some posts defending there actions or justifying it in some way.

Marl
12-22-2005, 10:44 AM
5 hours isnt bad........some games I have seen go down for 12+ hours at a time."Cleaning up servers" or "Fixing bugs" .

Czeska
12-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Tromp

Originally posted by Czeska

Sheesh is that all you have to wake up for whilst on vacation? :D

No, I have a hyper 5 year old, and more shopping to do, and a trip to the post office.

Now... wouldn't YOU go back to bed?

Dwarven Empath
12-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Marluxian is a Simu employee!!!!!!!

Just kidding. I don't really know.

hehehehe

Tromp
12-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Marluxian
5 hours isnt bad........some games I have seen go down for 12+ hours at a time."Cleaning up servers" or "Fixing bugs" .

Money in the bank baby!

Landrion
12-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Ganalon
If our software solutions caused our client's servers to be down for more than 25/30 minutes then we would be out of business.

Imagine telling a hospital that their information systems would be down for 5 hours for some emergency maintenance. Hospital administration would spaz.

Surely this emergency maintenance does not involve physical hardware but recoding something involving the login process? It just seems backwards if you ask me. :shrug:

The difference between high availability systems and everything else money. A hospital can justify the cost of redundant systems and clustered environments because somebody winds up dead if theyre offline too long AND someone is going to sue the fuck out of them too.

Lets be real here, Gem's a little text based mud. Whats the real loss if the thing's down on scheduled maintenance for a few hours?. Youre not gonna sue them. The idea of someone quitting over it sounds remote enough. Theres no loss, so it doesnt merit spending to avert.

Seems pretty SOP for the MMO industry to me, WOW had scheduled maintenance once a week when I played. Much like Simu they liked to schedule my server to shut down on weekday mornings when they presume a lot of the client base is at work. It was occassionally helpful to get my ass out the door on time ha ha.

Just so Tromp doesnt feel like im justifying or defending SIMU's actions ;-) let me put it this way. It costs money to have redundancy and they dont give that much of a fuck if you lose a few hours playing. No matter when they schedule it someones gonna bitch, so they figured fuck em, we'll do it during the work day when its convienent for us.

Like Tromp said, money in the bank.

Augie
12-22-2005, 11:22 AM
If you guys are bored while the game is down, you can come over to the Gemstone chat in IRC:

http://www.resequenced.net/gs4/irc/irc.cgi

Daniel
12-22-2005, 11:23 AM
It's up. Just in time too, I was about to do something constructive.

Gan
12-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Landrion

Originally posted by Ganalon

The difference between high availability systems and everything else money. A hospital can justify the cost of redundant systems and clustered environments because somebody winds up dead if theyre offline too long AND someone is going to sue the fuck out of them too.

Lets be real here, Gem's a little text based mud. Whats the real loss if the thing's down on scheduled maintenance for a few hours?. Youre not gonna sue them. The idea of someone quitting over it sounds remote enough. Theres no loss, so it doesnt merit spending to avert.

Seems pretty SOP for the MMO industry to me, WOW had scheduled maintenance once a week when I played. Much like Simu they liked to schedule my server to shut down on weekday mornings when they presume a lot of the client base is at work. It was occassionally helpful to get my ass out the door on time ha ha.

Just so Tromp doesnt feel like im justifying or defending SIMU's actions ;-) let me put it this way. It costs money to have redundancy and they dont give that much of a fuck if you lose a few hours playing. No matter when they schedule it someones gonna bitch, so they figured fuck em, we'll do it during the work day when its convienent for us.

Like Tromp said, money in the bank.

Very true. Looking at it from a cost/benefit perspective it makes total sense. I was only looking at it from a customer service perspective.

Well said Landrion.

Marl
12-22-2005, 11:43 AM
I DO work for Simu.I am preselling alters/enchants/padding etc. I accept silvers and paypal payments for each service. u2u me with what you want and for a price list THANKS!:clap:

Gan
12-22-2005, 11:50 AM
I'll take the 20x self mana major ewave 1 lb. waraxe of doom plz. Oh and the 20x insanely crit padded metal breast plate with retribution as well plz.

U2U me with your quote and we'll get down to horse tradin.

Marl
12-22-2005, 12:04 PM
We have a special christmas deal on those.....
the 20x waraxe ONLY comes with a 20 per day wave of cone of lightning based on char lvl and is yours today only for 500m silvers or the cheap price of $3k
Now the breastplate is on sale thru the new year and is weightless.....250m silvers or $1.5k
find me in game for silver payments OR send to the paypal I am going to u2u you!

Merry christmas from your local Simu employee!!!

BTW from dec 25th at 4pm until january 3rd at midnight we will be experiening random outages and wide spread char/item loss.
send all queries to our complaint department at HaHaURScrewed@play.net
expect a reply sometime within 1 hr to 6 months.
our motto is "The cable company has nothing on us!!!!"

Gan
12-22-2005, 12:25 PM
:lol:

FinisWolf
12-23-2005, 04:14 AM
:lol2:

Drew
12-23-2005, 06:09 AM
Myspace, which just got bought by Fox for something outrageous like 600 million is down for maintenence for 3 hours right now.

Alfster
12-23-2005, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Drew
Myspace, which just got bought by Fox for something outrageous like 600 million is down for maintenence for 3 hours right now.

Yeah, they gotta give all the emo kids time to wipe their tears.

Czeska
12-23-2005, 08:35 AM
Did Simu decide to do this maintenance EVERY morning? Why the hell can't I get in now?

TheEschaton
12-23-2005, 08:57 AM
Hmmmm, it seems something's wrong with the login. My character, who's been for quite awhile now, is still in the game, it's still live, but I can't sign anyone else in now.

Only 136 people in, it's nice.

-TheE-

Gizmo
12-23-2005, 09:34 AM
That would be because everything is down, Website Included. Minus anyone who were still logged in before about 5am est this morning when it all fell down.

HarmNone
12-23-2005, 09:56 AM
Apparently, the emergency maintenance created an emergency. :whistle:

Gizmo
12-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Thank god Kia is in the Plat Chat, me and her are cybering about my gloves.

FinisWolf
12-23-2005, 07:32 PM
cybering ... gloves ...

TMI

Finis

:lol: