PDA

View Full Version : Intelligence... by design!

Unique
12-20-2005, 11:52 AM
And from www.nytimes.com

"HARRISBURG, Pa. -- "Intelligent design" cannot be mentioned in biology classes in a Pennsylvania public school district, a federal judge said Tuesday, ruling in one of the biggest courtroom clashes on evolution since the 1925 Scopes trial. Dover Area School Board members violated the Constitution when they ordered that its biology curriculum must include the notion that life on Earth was produced by an unidentified intelligent cause, U.S. District Judge John E. Jones III said. Several members repeatedly lied to cover their motives even while professing religious beliefs, he said."

I'm impressed. Thank God for useful judges.

Unique.

[edited to fix my source]

[Edited on 12-20-2005 by Unique]

[Edited on 12-20-2005 by Unique]

ElanthianSiren
12-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Go PA. I love this state.

-M

Jorddyn
12-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Unique

I'm not adding anything worthwhile, other than I found this part amusing.

Jorddyn

TheEschaton
12-20-2005, 12:42 PM
I think I might actually despise Rick Santorum.

Other than that, I find PA lovely. The only girl I ever loved was from PA. Doylestown, to be specific.

-TheE-

Gan
12-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Religion belongs in church.

Textbook science belongs in school.

Keep them seperate please.

Let the child expereince both in their own environment and then allow for the child to make up his/her own mind on the applications and implications.

Spirituality requires a little faith. Science does not. Only until we get to the other side will we know the answer... if we ever get there.

Unique
12-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Jorddyn

Originally posted by Unique

I'm not adding anything worthwhile, other than I found this part amusing.

Jorddyn

Premeditated.

Unique.

DeV
12-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Ganalon

Not only that, let's stick to the advancement of empirical knowledge, especially relating to the subject of science, plz.

Necromancer
12-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Best part is it was a Federal case, so it applies everywhere.

Even this Supreme Court wouldn't dare touch the appeal of this case, the 10-20 pages I read (admittedly out of about 140) of the decision seem to be pretty airtight legally.

Gan
12-20-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by DeV

Not only that, let's stick to the advancement of empirical knowledge, especially relating to the subject of science, plz.

All ideas are welcome in intelligent debate. And all ideas will have their followers. I'm not in favor of limiting any form of thought, just in favor of keeping it where it should belong. Where it belongs tends to be the hot topic of debate as well though.

Limitations as you would recommend are just as bad as only offering up one school of thought for any subject.

DeV
12-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Limitations as you would recommend are just as bad as only offering up one school of thought for any subject. What limitations have I recommended? Furthermore, I'm pretty certain I agree with your stance unless I am not properly comprehending your point of view.

While I am not a proponent of teaching interpretations of scientific data to "prove" whatever theories may be held in science classrooms, I am a proponent of teaching other religious theories in classes that focus on religion primarily as a tool for learning what other groups believe.

When we begin to teach something as science that has not been adequately tested as such, it can hardly be considered appropriate for *science* classes. I believe that is the basic premise.

[Edited on 12-20-2005 by DeV]

Gan
12-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Yea, you're saying what I'm saying. I just misunderstood your last line. Reading that in the context of and as a stipulation to where the teaching occurs is how I should have read it. Not that it should not be pursued or advanced at all.

Satira
12-20-2005, 05:26 PM
YAY! Now we just need all the other states not to be dumb.

Skirmisher
12-20-2005, 09:52 PM

Keep them seperate please.

Let the child expereince both in their own environment and then allow for the child to make up his/her own mind on the applications and implications.

Spirituality requires a little faith. Science does not. Only until we get to the other side will we know the answer... if we ever get there.

Well said Gan.

Ebondale
12-20-2005, 11:10 PM
Intelligent Design doesn't simply mean that life was created by God. The theory that extraterrestrials have influenced the evolution of man also falls under Intelligent Design.

Necromancer
12-21-2005, 12:13 AM
>Intelligent Design doesn't simply mean that life was created by God. The theory that extraterrestrials have influenced the evolution of man also falls under Intelligent Design.

The Court actually addressed this in the decision. The determination was that any student who heard about intelligent design would immediately come to the conclusion that they were talking about God, which is the case. Intelligent design is just creationism not-so-cleverly masked. It is designed specifically to make students believe that God created the world, which is why religious organizations are getting behind it.

Also, intelligent design began suspiciously RIGHT after the 1986 Supreme Court decision that reaffirmed that teaching creationism in classrooms was illegal. It was created specifically to circumvent this.