PDA

View Full Version : Hunting.

Sean of the Thread
12-12-2005, 11:10 PM
Discuss.

I myself hunt and I consume what I hunt. Most hunters consume what they hunt. Hunting is allowed and regulated to control the population of said species as most are very over populated. Florida even allows hunting of alligators by permit as they are WAY overpopulated even though they are a protected species.

I personally don't like bait hunting as most hunters do not either. Normally when I go hunting we go out into the bush and set up base camp and then the tracking and stalking begins. These animals in the wild are damn elusive and amazing at being so.

Different tactics/weapons are used of course depending on species. Some sit patiently up against a tree using calls.. some track the targets and manuever/flank for the kill which can take a very long time.

When it comes time to draw bead on the target that can become a feat in itself. Especially with a bow.

There are so many things that go into hunting a specific species that it would be silly to go into anything in detail and nothing would explain it easily for someone that has not experienced a hunt.

Basically if you have never been hunting and tried it for yourself there is no way to explain the hunt and would not expect anyone to understand until they have. It is extremly hard and challenging and also very rewarding.

I don't trophy hunt and wouldn't be interested myself unless it was for Alaskan brown bear with a bow. On average 10 of 10,000 a year are taken with a bow and that takes real nuts.

Terminator X
12-12-2005, 11:19 PM
If this topic is politically oriented, then arm the animals with semis and other gat-like sheeeeit and call it fair game.

If this topic is for tips and suggestions, don't put on your scent killer after buck-fever sets in.

- The Termite

Sean of the Thread
12-12-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Terminator X
If this topic is politically oriented, then arm the animals with semis and other gat-like sheeeeit and call it fair game.

If this topic is for tips and suggestions, don't put on your scent killer after buck-fever sets in.

- The Termite

Luckily you're joking.

longshot
12-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Unfortunately, I lack the requisite extra chromosomes that allow me to derive pleasure from shooting things.

Sean of the Thread
12-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by longshot
Unfortunately, I lack the requisite extra chromosomes that allow me to derive pleasure from shooting things.

Sadly you are missing chromosones and thus are retarded.

4a6c1
12-12-2005, 11:38 PM
I'm not going to make it sound pretty or politically correct. Like I mentioned before I have no arguement for that.

Its an amusing hobby for God knows what reasons. It takes alot of sweat and focus and time and patience and sometimes pain if you sit in the same position and stare thru the same sights for hours and hours. Its just a way to get away and do something different, like any pastime. Its rewarding to see the prints of something evasive and beautiful and wild, take it down and bring it home, put it in the freezer and serve it on holidays.

I go up into the hill country where the family holds a lease. By the time we come around every couple of years the deer are overpopulated and huge. When they get that big and in great number they get testy with each other and the smaller ones start dying off anyway. I think its better to keep the herds thin. Natural selection would kill them off. Why not put the meat to good use?

Brattt8525
12-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Posted by Skeeter...

can't argue that I don't know much about hunting.

I understand there are things called tree stands though, where you sit all day waiting to ambush any deer that happens to walk in your line of sight.

Damn Bratt you're right. sitting on your ass all day does take tons of skill.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You should have stopped at your first sentence, you were way ahead.

Hunting does take skill and hours and sweat and money and dedication. If you think it is as easy to kill a poor animal as simply sitting on your ass and pointing the weapon at them you really need to rethink your opinion.

Before you go spouting shit out of your ass try asking in a way that isn't coming off as some smart ass looking for a few laughs.

The best hunting trip I have ever taken was a 2 week trip to Nothern Quebec where we were flown into the hunting camp, riding in a plane that lands on water was just very cool.

My husband and I were there to hunt black bear and he got one the first trip I on the other hand was too interested in watching them. After calming down a very pissed off husband we returned for a second hunt where I got over my OH MY GOD IT"S A BEAR and took a very nice black bear myself.

I will never forget when I decided to take up black powder, my wonderful husband mixed the powder too high and I swear to god when I shot it to start the sighting in process I swear to high heaven someone hit me on top of my head with a sledge hammer. Kick back was not even the word for it.

I love to hunt be it ducks bears deer or turkey, it is the one thing that makes me feel a little closer to my father as he was an avid hunter and skeet shooter.

Oh and the backstrap of a deer is better then filet mignon IMHO.

[Edited on 12-13-2005 by Brattt8525]

4a6c1
12-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Brattt8525
I will never forget when I decided to take up black powder, my wonderful husband mixed the powder too high and I swear to god when I shot it to start the sighting in process I swear to high heaven someone hit me on top of my head with a sledge hammer. Kick back was not even the word for it.

lmao

random reason # 4310478 i will not let people handle my gear

Hulkein
12-12-2005, 11:55 PM
I just like shooting guns and testing my marksmanship ability. I'm far from a hick or a redneck, but ever since I was a kid I really liked the challenge in hitting cans or what have you with BB guns, and it's no different now that I'm older.

Plus, for a lot of people, hunting is mainly a way to relax. Much like golf, you go out away from all the stress of the real world and you spend time in the woods with family and good friends.

longshot
12-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Brattt8525
I love to hunt be it ducks bears deer or turkey, it is the one thing that makes me feel a little closer to my father as he was an avid hunter and skeet shooter.

Oh and the backstrap of a deer is better then filet mignon IMHO.

There's really nothing that surprises me about the above paragraph considering its source. Shit, I probably could have written it for you...

I bet you can put a big hunk of venison jerkey right where your back teeth should be.

Um! Delicious!

There are a lot of things that require skill that don't require killing shit for fun. I'm not debating the legality of it, and I understand the arguments for ecosystem stability...

But if you shoot animals for fun, you're a fucking redneck.

Brattt8525
12-13-2005, 12:03 AM
You know LS I have really missed you, I find great enjoyment in your judgemental attitude towards who you think I am :D

Yes people who enjoy hunting are rednecks, I will be sure to tell ma pa that the next time I go to lay flowers at his thar grave outback.

Back
12-13-2005, 12:04 AM
I am not beyond killing what I eat. And, being a carnivore, I am going to go after the easiest prey. I like a good meal so I wont be looking for rodents. If I can bag a chicken, turkey or a good sized fish, I’m good. If I dont have those options I will be looking to bring down something larger, eating my fill and storing the rest in salt and cold places.

But if I ever have to do that, you can bet your ass I am going to be eating roots, fruits, berries and whatever leaves I can while I build my shelter and find water first.

And, if that ever happens, I’ll be doing it with either a sharp rock, a trident or a bow.

4a6c1
12-13-2005, 12:07 AM
I wish I could fish.

I'm a blundering idiot when it comes to fishing.

OMG somebody teach me how to fish properly.

Sean of the Thread
12-13-2005, 12:17 AM
Blackpowder is infact the shit. I am planning on going boar hunting again soon and I may go blackpowder but right now I'm leaning towards pistol.

Fishing on the other hand is fuking awesome here in FL. I love snook fishing this time of year. Nothing like catching a Tarpon either. Hooking a redfish is like snagging the bumper of a tow truck. Speckled sea trout is a staple of my diet. <3 fishing.

Kainen
12-13-2005, 12:17 AM
Fishing is a great sport. You can either catch fish or catch a buzz. :lol: Seriously though, a lot of the hunters that hunt professionally are also conservationists.

Skeeter
12-13-2005, 12:22 AM
so you're saying it's not true that all you have to do to kill a deer is slow your bullets down to 55 MPH? Fucking deer will just jump right in front of them.

longshot
12-13-2005, 12:23 AM
DON'T confuse hunting and fishing.

Deep sea fishing can be done by civilized people that actually release what they catch. Also, deep sea fishing usually excludes rednecks due to the high entry cost.

Bratt, you can still catch a lot of catfish on the docks. You'll never go hungry... don't you worry!

Sean of the Thread
12-13-2005, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Skeeter
so you're saying it's not true that all you have to do to kill a deer is slow your bullets down to 55 MPH? Fucking deer will just jump right in front of them.

Seriously you are sounding like a tard on this issue.

Skeeter
12-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Xyelin

Originally posted by Skeeter

Seriously you are sounding like a tard on this issue.

c'mon that was at least a little bit funny.

I already mentioned I know absolutey nothing about hunting.

I did think your first post was informative though.

4a6c1
12-13-2005, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by longshot

Also, deep sea fishing usually excludes rednecks due to the high entry cost.

roflmao

HAHAHA. Super thread.

Skeeter
12-13-2005, 12:27 AM
I did go deep sea fishing once. Most boring 8 hours of my life. I imagine it would've been better if we would've caught something.

Skirmisher
12-13-2005, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
Not a bad doe but if you're not using a bow you're a princess.

We have a winner.

Sean of the Thread
12-13-2005, 12:31 AM
I don't prefer deap see all that much. Not to mention what it costs to fuel my boat for offshore. I like a nice in shore grand slam.

That being said I go offshore for kingfish and grouper. I plan on taking a guide trip off of Costa Rica this year for some real deal stuff.

4a6c1
12-13-2005, 12:31 AM
I will say that I've seen a bear bow in action and its a beautiful weapon to watch.

Still prefer teh boom boom tho.

Sean of the Thread
12-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Skirmisher

Not a bad doe but if you're not using a bow you're a princess.

We have a winner.

Bow hunting is the shit. That being said Blackpowder hunting is also very awesome. Specially blackpowder pistole hunting.

Skeeter
12-13-2005, 12:34 AM
what are the thoughts on the compound bow? Now I have shot a regular bow, and a compound bow.

I thought the compound bow took all the fun out of it.

Sean of the Thread
12-13-2005, 12:36 AM
Compound bows are the way to go.

Back
12-13-2005, 12:38 AM
Never shot one myself, but a compound bow is made of two different woods, face and back, to give it more integrity.

Steel bows were small and usually shot from horseback.

Dont believe me, look it up on the internets.

Apotheosis
12-13-2005, 01:24 AM
I dunno about you folks, but I prefer the best method of killing animals.

Polluting.

Seriously, I carry empy 6-pack rings to the beach in the hopes that a seagull or a fish (or both will get caught up in them).

Got a problem with animals overpopulating? not a problem, simply find chemicals such as benzene, and dump in nearest source of water. Guaranteed not to have muc living after that. It does all the work for you too, so you can collect carcasses. Even better for the trophy hunters, no damage to the pelt!

In the mood for barbeque vension? Simply start a forest fire. It ain't that difficult, especially in southern california, where learning to cope with natural disasters is a state hobby.

Fuck those little wimpy bows. Give me an m-16.. nah, screw it, mount a .52 cal to my jeep, and lets go offroading in yellowstone.

I bet chuck norris and a team of ninjas could totally flip out and hunt with their bare hands!!

Shari
12-13-2005, 02:08 AM
Since a few of you like to take "shots" at my redneck fiance, I thought I'd add my two cents here.

I don't hunt. I shoot guns, but I simply cannot bring myself to kill an animal. I'd much prefer to keep them as pets. :D

That being said, I have a good deal of respect for a hunter. Whether they use a rifle, bow, pistol, or you crazy fuckers with the bowie knives.

Those of you who find no sport in hunting, I suggest you try it. And I don't mean trapse through the wilderness with a weapon under arm. You need to kill the animal.

Wildlife is extremly elusive. At least where I'm from. I am EXTREMELY lucky if I run into a deer, and even moreso, elk up in our "highcountry". Deer in PA, however, will nearly walk up to you in my aunts back yard. Does this make it less of a sport? Perhaps. But some people not only enjoy hunting for the sport of it, but like many on here have said, they enjoy the meat.

Which brings me to my next point. Fine and dandy if you want to go blast animals to bejesus. Just make sure you eat them. People are hypocritical to judge when they will just as soon go to the grocery store, buy veal, chicken, or beef. They are subject to poor conditions, and live a life of nothing more than being raised to be killed and fed to the masses. Let us not even talk about hormone injecting.

Hunting allows a person to sustain themselves, while bringing back the idea that if left to our very own devices, we could survive on our own. Deer and elk meat I've eaten has been lean, and quite delicious, and I know that for the most part, the animal lived a far better existance than that KFC chicken I ingested the day before.

Skeeter
12-13-2005, 09:21 AM
If you track something down and kill it with just a knife. You are a Ted Nugent sized man.

DeV
12-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Shari

I don't hunt. I shoot guns. Same, at the range no less. The closest I've come and will ever come to killing what I eat is fishing while camping.

Killer Kitten
12-13-2005, 10:18 AM
I choose not to hunt. This is due to all of the parasitology courses I took in college. The meat I buy in the supermarket is farm raised, it is inspected and the standards for passing this inspection are rigorous. Animals raised for meat are wormed regularly and given prophylactic anti parasite treatments.

Eat wild game? Oh Hell no! Pick up a shit sample next time you're in the woods and give it to a vet to run, just for laughs. The parasite load that wild animals carry is nothing short of amazing. Even wild species that don't live in the wild have issues with parasites that are almost impossible to cure. At the zoo I was constantly dealing with giardia in our bison herd and the poor elk were always getting vile tasting additives in their water because we could never get rid of their coccidia.

No way would I eat a wild animal. Once I saw larval migration in action - and those suckers migrate everywhere - I was nothing but grateful that nobody in my family was a hunter.

Skirmisher
12-13-2005, 10:22 AM
:barf:

AnticorRifling
12-13-2005, 10:37 AM
And when you die from the common cold because your body never had to defend itself on a parasitic level you'll know why :cool:

Necromancer
12-13-2005, 10:50 AM
I can't stand that damn ecosystem argument. If you're really concerned about overpopulation, let's start programs to sterilize a percentage of the animals in question to slowly reduce the population without causing undue suffering. The downside is that it would mean one generation would still suffer from overpopulation (though actual effects tend to be GREATLY eggagerated in most instances), but afterwards we'll have solved the problem and won't look like murderous square-staters in the process.

Besides, I don't know many people who'd want to be shot when there is a shortage of resources. I think they'd rather have the chance to survive. "If I don't shoot them, they'll die!" never made much sense to me.

~flaming liberal

AnticorRifling
12-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Hippies are funny.

Sean of the Thread
12-13-2005, 11:19 AM
Hippies are funny.

And not always very bright as documented in a certain post in this thread.

Alfster
12-13-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Necromancer
Besides, I don't know many people who'd want to be shot when there is a shortage of resources. I think they'd rather have the chance to survive. "If I don't shoot them, they'll die!" never made much sense to me.
~flaming liberal

Quite possibly the dumbest paragraph I've ever read.

Necromancer
12-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Then you probably just didn't understand it

Alfster
12-13-2005, 12:11 PM
So you'd rather start programs to sterilize animals at the expense of whom?

xtc
12-13-2005, 12:14 PM
I am not a hunter but I come from a family of hunters. My Grandfather use to hunt in Africa and he had an amazing elephant gun (which my aunt know owns). He lost his arm hunting.

When I was a kid my Dad wanted to take my hunting. I wouldn't go. I never understood the desire to kill another mammal unless my life was in danger. I have gone through years on/off of being a vegetarian. I have had numerous arguments with my extended family about hunting. At least Xyelin eats what he hunts, I will never understand trophy hunters.

[Edited on 12-13-2005 by xtc]

Shari
12-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Trophy hunters, who simply go after the animal to mount its head above their fireplace, and forgo eating the meat of said-animal, should be hunted themselves, bowie-knife style. :D

Aaysia
12-13-2005, 12:35 PM
back to fishing! My cousin is taking me fishing on new years *skips*

Will be my first time. He guarantees that within the hour I'll want to go back home. We have a bet on it. My other cousin reinforced his view, told me about the first time she went fishing on the boat, and not seeing anything around you but choppy water. She said she lay down and tried not to throw up by repeating "I am one with the boat.. I am one with the boat"

on topic : I don't have anything against other people hunting since I eat meat anyway. And if you want to hunt for yours as long as you don't waste it and consume it then go wild and have fun. I'd be willing to try it but I don't think I'd be able to shoot cute things....

Necromancer
12-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Use gun licensing fees. They should be illegal anyway, so why not kill two birds with one stone? Maybe the taxes will help deter gun buying. There are lots of possibilities.

Alfster
12-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Use gun licensing fees. They should be illegal anyway, so why not kill two birds with one stone? Maybe the taxes will help deter gun buying. There are lots of possibilities.

Wow.

You fucking suck.

Sean of the Thread
12-13-2005, 12:45 PM

So now you spit on our constitution on top of your other idiotic tirades?

You flaming liberals think you fear the govt now ... imagine no armed citizens.

[Edited on 12-13-2005 by Xyelin]

Daniel
12-13-2005, 12:46 PM
I'd rather shoot people.

Sean of the Thread
12-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Daniel
I'd rather shoot people.

Is liberal season open?

Hulkein
12-13-2005, 01:29 PM

You're a retard.

Latrinsorm
12-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Shari
Those of you who find no sport in hunting, I suggest you try it. And I don't mean trapse through the ghetto with a weapon under arm. You need to kill the hobo. Well I guess I can't call killing hobos not a sport anymore. :(

Composite bows are multiple materials, but use the same basic physical principles as recurve bows (i.e. bendiness). Compound bows with all the widgets and gizmos and stuff require a lot of skill to use, don't get me wrong, but you honestly might as well use a gun.

xtc
12-13-2005, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Daniel
I'd rather shoot people.

Is liberal season open?

Actually it is redkneck season now in Florida, Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Tennessee and Kentucky. Liberal season starts in the spring in NY, Mass, Vermont, New Hampshire and California.

Skirmisher
12-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Ban liberal hunting darnit!
:help:

Sean of the Thread
12-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Skirmisher
Ban liberal hunting darnit!
:help:

It's not really hunting.. it's a new federal program to put them out of their misery.

Necromancer
12-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Take some Con Law classes, the "Right To Bear Arms" isn't uniformly believed to give the right to purchase guns. Reading the documents on its initial debates indicates that it was actually the right to raise a militia, which is different than personal possession of a firearm. Current interpretation in the Courts grants the right to possess a firearm for personal use, but current interpretation by Courts has never meant anything more than "These are the political tides of the moment".

Go learn about your Constitution. It's ignorance reagrding it that is akin to spitting on it.

FYI, answering an argument with "Wow UR A RETRARD" may help get President Bush elected via the middle states, but it's not actually a suitable response. At the very least, it indicates a lot more about you than it does about the argument in question.

A shame these boards don't have an minimum age requirement for posting. (sarcasm)

Sean of the Thread
12-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Take some Con Law classes, the "Right To Bear Arms" isn't uniformly believed to give the right to purchase guns. Reading the documents on its initial debates indicates that it was actually the right to raise a militia, which is different than personal possession of a firearm. Current interpretation in the Courts grants the right to possess a firearm for personal use, but current interpretation by Courts has never meant anything more than "These are the political tides of the moment".

Go learn about your Constitution. It's ignorance reagrding it that is akin to spitting on it.

FYI, answering an argument with "Wow UR A RETRARD" may help get President Bush elected via the middle states, but it's not actually a suitable response. At the very least, it indicates a lot more about you than it does about the argument in question.

A shame these boards don't have an minimum age requirement for posting. (sarcasm)

It's a shame you still make no valid points.

Alfster
12-13-2005, 03:55 PM
hahahahaha, you are retarded.

But seriously, the cost of what you're original statement was would be insane. I can't imagine what it would cost to sterilize each species of animals, but I can assume it would be greater than what their current structure is.

As it stands now, each hunter has to pay for a permit. So we're paying the DNR to take these animals and it's foolish to think that the best plan would be to fund a program that's designed to sterlize deer when the DNR is getting paid to have their problem solved for them, by hunters.

Controlling the species is why the DNR allows people to hunt, it is generally not why people hunt.

Just to put this in perspective, they tried an alternative to hunting here in my town last year. It didn't work out so well, instead of allowing hunting within certain areas of the town, they paid sharp shooters to come in and weed out the herd. The problem? They were paying nearly 100 dollars for each deer taken. The city realized that this was far to expensive and that there had to be an easier way to do this. Now, they allow special permits (which cost more than the regular permits) to bow hunt within city limits. Not only are they not paying the 100 dollars for each deer but instead, they're making 30 bucks on each deer.

Shari
12-13-2005, 03:59 PM
I couldn't even imagine having an area be so over-populated with game in in-city limits they'd have to bring in sharp shooters.

It takes my fiance's family an average of 5 years to get drawn for either deer or elk.

Alfster
12-13-2005, 04:02 PM
They practically give away permits here.

I know this year, I personally had one hunters choice and two bonus tags (anterless).

My old man had his hunters choice and three bonus tags.

Between the three of us hunting, we had 10 tags...only filled 5 though.

Necromancer
12-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Getting permits can take forever, depending on the area. In Arizona, deer permits are rough as well.

And if you increase taxes on gun sales to pay for a Federal program that targets overpopulated areas, you'd be fine. It's not about cost anyway, it's about civility. Frankly, if we've enough money to continually bail out the airlines (so we can tout the benefits of deregulization), we can afford a program like this. It just comes down to priorities.

Or better yet, let's just get rid of one of the secret CIA prisons that's been moved to Northern Africa, liquidate it, and then use THAT to fund the program.

Hulkein
12-13-2005, 04:48 PM
You're a retard.

Latrinsorm
12-13-2005, 06:09 PM
Allowing hunting within a populated area is a very, very bad idea. I don't know what "town" constitutes in your description, Alfster, but I would vehemently protest letting people stroll around my neighborhood firing guns. Bow hunting isn't really all that much better, given the type of arrows I've seen people use to hunt.

Killer Kitten
12-13-2005, 08:48 PM
And when you die from the common cold because your body never had to defend itself on a parasitic level you'll know why :cool:

The common cold has nothing in common with dining on the parasite-ridden carcass of some wild deer or bear.

Colds are airborne/respiratory diseases and generally contracted via breathing in the virus. The kinds of parasites I was referring to in my post are generally contracted by eating the larva or ova of the parasite.

There is no way to build up any immunity to these kinds of critters. You eat 'em, you get 'em. You get cured, you eat 'em again, you get 'em again. Take a parasitology course, you'll never look at wild animals the same way again.

Sean of the Thread
12-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Killer Kitten

The common cold has nothing in common with dining on the parasite-ridden carcass of some wild deer or bear.

Colds are airborne/respiratory diseases and generally contracted via breathing in the virus. The kinds of parasites I was referring to in my post are generally contracted by eating the larva or ova of the parasite.

There is no way to build up any immunity to these kinds of critters. You eat 'em, you get 'em. You get cured, you eat 'em again, you get 'em again. Take a parasitology course, you'll never look at wild animals the same way again.

I cook my dead deerzz omgz??!?

Sean of the Thread
12-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Oh and Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the probability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.

Alfster
12-13-2005, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm
Allowing hunting within a populated area is a very, very bad idea. I don't know what "town" constitutes in your description, Alfster, but I would vehemently protest letting people stroll around my neighborhood firing guns. Bow hunting isn't really all that much better, given the type of arrows I've seen people use to hunt.

Let me clarify this a bit as I didn't mean to mislead you. The hunting in town, you need to own an acre of land or more. By town, I'm talking less than 6000 people. In order to obtain the permit, you need to get the signatures of your neighbors that have land touching yours in order to allow it. They only allow bow hunting within city limits.

Once you have that, then you can buy a special permit to hunt in your backyard.

Sean of the Thread
12-13-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Alfster

Let me clarify this a bit as I didn't mean to mislead you. The hunting in town, you need to own an acre of land or more. By town, I'm talking less than 6000 people. In order to obtain the permit, you need to get the signatures of your neighbors that have land touching yours in order to allow it. They only allow bow hunting within city limits.

Once you have that, then you can buy a special permit to hunt in your backyard.

It is the same deal where I'm from in upstate NY.

Shari
12-13-2005, 11:34 PM
That's crazy. Scott is always bitching about how long it takes for them to get drawn. I tell him we could move to PA, but the idea of trudging through several feet of snow to get said-animal turns him off to the idea.

Hulkein
12-13-2005, 11:37 PM
It doesn't snow that much (except for a few storms a year) in southeastern PA.

Shari
12-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Well, my grandmother lives in Kingston, which is a little ways from Scranton. Apparantly they got 10 inches several days ago.

To give further insight into my world of "snow experience" I have never experienced anything colder than probably 12 degrees, EXCEPT when getting to go into the walk-in freezer at work, which was set at 10 degrees, I believe.

Hulkein
12-14-2005, 01:13 AM
Heh, well then you'd get mad being in SE PA too.

That being said, Scranton etc gets a lot more snow than Philadelphia. We're a lot closer to the warm air from the Nor'Easters, kind of limits the total snow fall most of the time.

[Edited on 12-14-2005 by Hulkein]

Killer Kitten
12-14-2005, 01:35 AM

I cook my dead deerzz omgz??!?

Yummy, cooked worms. I like my toxo larvae medium rare so they're warm, but still squirming.

And yes, that is humor. I'm sure you thorougly cook and enjoy eating what you bring back from your hunting trips. I've just looked at way too many pictures of what's walking through most wild animals to be comfortable eating them, no matter how thoroughly they're cooked.

4a6c1
12-14-2005, 10:16 AM
<insert random hardass immune system-toughening arguement here>

ARRGH!

Warriorbird
12-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Pff. I wish I didn't have to make excuses for the annoying wing of my party.

Hunting's a lot of fun. I honestly fish more (that's probably due to basically living in the city but having a lake right outside my apartment). I have trophy fished, but I think of that as more of an honor to the fish than anything else.

When I do hunt, I'm a proud contributor to Hunters for the Homeless. Any fellow liberal who knocks that can fuck off.

:)

My current hunting dream is to get to hunt in my cousin's village in Hungary. He's the game warden for his district (like our county notion) and the area is absolutely beautiful. His wife also makes incredible venison dishes.

EDIT:

Our Democratic governor loves to hunt too, punks.

:P

[Edited on 12-14-2005 by Warriorbird]

Warriorbird
12-14-2005, 11:15 AM
I've just looked at way too many pictures of what's walking through most wild animals to be comfortable eating them, no matter how thoroughly they're cooked.

Vegetarians bring up the same argument about domesticated animals. It doesn't bother me for the most part.

Tsa`ah
12-20-2005, 02:04 AM
Compound bows with all the widgets and gizmos and stuff require a lot of skill to use, don't get me wrong, but you honestly might as well use a gun.

Standard recurves take more skill and strength than a compound bow.

Those pulleys, sights, and counter weights are there to remove guess work and allow tooth pick armed Jim Bob, complete with missing tooth and mullet, to draw the string back. If he can pull 50lbs toward himself in a rowing position, he can draw a compound. A compound let's him hold a knocked bow in a drawn position with little effort as most of the effort was put into drawing the bow to the break.

Recurves take the skill. You draw the bow and aim and loose ... all while the bow wants to return to a relaxed form. The constant resistance on the string, the lack of a network of pulleys and counter weights, and often a sight makes the recurve the "harder" projectile weapon to hunt with.

Modern hunting is not really hunting. It's recreation. If hunting today required the skill it took 100 or more years ago ... very few people would do it today.

Science has taken out most of the guess work. Science has taken out most of the discomfort. Science has removed most of the risk.

When modern hunters start entering with wilderness with little to no preserved food, leaving their cell phones, thinsulate garments, matches/lighters/propane grills, thinsulate sleeping bags and easy pitch tents, scent neutralizers, SUVs/Jeeps/Trucks/Family sedans, lures, calls, portable stands, camouflage tents and outer wear .... and coming out of the wilderness with their prey ... they can start calling it a skill again.

I say this as a person who has hunted. I say this waiting for the mother of all debunking replies ... "You don't know what you're talking about" or some other equally slack jawed response.

Warriorbird
12-20-2005, 02:29 AM
When modern hunters start entering with wilderness with little to no preserved food, leaving their cell phones, thinsulate garments, matches/lighters/propane grills, thinsulate sleeping bags and easy pitch tents, scent neutralizers, SUVs/Jeeps/Trucks/Family sedans, lures, calls, portable stands, camouflage tents and outer wear .... and coming out of the wilderness with their prey ... they can start calling it a skill again.

Why bother? Do you honestly like being uncomfortable? I wouldn't say I use all of the above, but we're not living in the most Hobbesian of worlds any longer, subsistence wise. There's also a shocking amount of people who use all of that and don't get anything.

Do you fish with a spear? Do you hunt with a spear, sans atlatl? I sure don't.

Tsa`ah
12-20-2005, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Warriorbird

Why bother? Do you honestly like being uncomfortable? I wouldn't say I use all of the above, but we're not living in the most Hobbesian of worlds any longer, subsistence wise. There's also a shocking amount of people who use all of that and don't get anything.

Exactly the point. When 99.9999999% of the actual skill required has been replaced by science .... anyone and everyone can do it. Not everyone is successful at it and some "skill" is required. That just lends support to my statement about very few would actually do it if it required the skill it did in ages past.

Skill is no longer a necessity, just don't get up in arms when that's pointed out. You're not climbing Everest or running a triathlon ... you're hunting. It's slightly more complex than driving a standard shift automobile.

Do you fish with a spear? Do you hunt with a spear, sans atlatl? I sure don't.

I no longer hunt. It bored me for one, it was the definition of anti-climatic for another.

If I want to relax in the wild, I don't need projectile weapons and living targets to do so.

If I want wild game, I know more than my fair share of hunters more than willing to share their spoils.

If I could eat fish and had the desire to catch them ... I'd probably do it with a spear. I could claim it was my skill that caught the fish, and not my choice in lure. Just as if the desire to hunt wild game resided in me ... I wouldn't call it hunting skill if I used a gun or compound bow ... I'd call it patients to wait for it, and common sense to stay down wind of it.

[Edited on 12-20-2005 by Tsa`ah]

Neildo
12-20-2005, 04:46 AM
I don't hunt, but I do target shooting and other drills.

When it comes to animals, I'm a total pussy. I'd have no problem if I had to shoot a person, but man, when it comes to animals, I'm weak. Fighting people is no problem, but if someone kicks or hurts an animal, their ass is grass.

Even in movies, Ol' Yeller was tough to deal with, Bambi, and even King Kong. But cool, look at all the people dying on screen! Doesn't phase me one bit, heh.

- N

Killer Kitten
12-20-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Neildo
I don't hunt, but I do target shooting and other drills.

When it comes to animals, I'm a total pussy. I'd have no problem if I had to shoot a person, but man, when it comes to animals, I'm weak. Fighting people is no problem, but if someone kicks or hurts an animal, their ass is grass.

Even in movies, Ol' Yeller was tough to deal with, Bambi, and even King Kong. But cool, look at all the people dying on screen! Doesn't phase me one bit, heh.

- N

Weekend before last, Mike and I went to see Aeon Flux. Nice violent movie, many people killed, dead bodies everywhere.

After the movie we decided to go for a drive. A deer ran out onto the road, Mike managed to stop but the car in the lane next to us nailed it good.

The pure brutal violence of how that deer was hit, thrown and slammed into a tree really upset both of us.

The movie didn't bother us a bit, but that deer... I still get slightly sick when I think of it.

Brattt8525
12-20-2005, 09:29 AM
I am willing to bet you would have been upset if you had been driving home and men jumped out of the woods and opened fire on you and the other car. Jesus comparing watching a "movie" of viloence to real life death?

Or are you saying you could walk down the street see a drive by not flinch yet see a deer get hit and break down over the dead animal? :rolleyes:

CrystalTears
12-20-2005, 09:38 AM
No, I'm willing to bet that seeing a deer get hit by a car would devastate me more than men getting killed. Something about animals who are pretty much minding their own business and getting nailed for trying to get to the other side, as opposed to dumb people who kill each other for a dollar.

I have more sympathy for animals than strangers, and I have a feeling (knowing her) that Kimm is the same way.

[Edited on 12/20/2005 by CrystalTears]

Skeeter
12-20-2005, 09:41 AM
some choice people apparently wouldn't flinch if they're neigbor died in a fire, but OMFG they'd have, "like a total f'ing breakdown" if their cat died in the same fire.

CrystalTears
12-20-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm so not getting into the saving animals vs people argument again.

Skeeter
12-20-2005, 10:05 AM
That's cool. I'm just glad I'm not your neighbor

CrystalTears
12-20-2005, 10:17 AM
That makes two of us.

This wasn't about who to save and whatnot. I commented against the reply to Kimm as though for some reason she should be okay with a deer getting hit by a car and not by men getting shot at. It affects people in different ways.

Seeing ANYTHING get hurt or killed will devastate me. I will never understand the mentality of the average hunter who hunts just for sport. Those that toss the deer and just get the antlers, or get the deer and leave the antlers, or just leave the whole beast lying there. If you're not going to consume or utilize the animal, what is the point?

Skeeter
12-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
That makes two of us.

This wasn't about who to save and whatnot. I commented against the reply to Kimm as though for some reason she should be okay with a deer getting hit by a car and not by men getting shot at. It affects people in different ways.

Seeing ANYTHING get hurt or killed will devastate me. I will never understand the mentality of the average hunter who hunts just for sport. Those that toss the deer and just get the antlers, or get the deer and leave the antlers, or just leave the whole beast lying there. If you're not going to consume or utilize the animal, what is the point?

I agree with all this.

Also, I wasn't trolling your posts,

I was typing my "saving" comment while you were typing yours. Irony kicked in, and my post immediately followed yours.

CrystalTears
12-20-2005, 10:59 AM
:lol: Ah okay. Sorry!

Tsa`ah
12-20-2005, 11:11 AM
A deer getting hit by a car: An animal trying to get from point A to point B for food/shelter/reproduction. Animals don't really understand that 1 ton of rolling steel, aluminum, plastic, and glass will probably kill on impact. Nor do they understand the concept of speed, braking, and human reaction.

A person getting hit by a car: Maybe it's the synic in me, but I call that natural selection unless it was a child or a person running blindly in fear of their life ... or of course a dumb ass behind the wheel.

I feel more remorse seeing an innocent lose their life than I do scumbags. Little old ladies beaten to death for the 10 bucks in their purse, children that die from neglect and abuse ... breaks my heart. Seeing an animal dead on the side of the road, well I'm numb to it now ... I sort of live in road kill alley, but seeing an animal killed is pretty gut wrenching.

Corporate scum bag mugged and and shot in the head? Drug dealer beaten to death? Gang banger .... gang banged? That's nice ... pass the ketsup?

CrystalTears
12-20-2005, 11:19 AM
:yeahthat:

DeV
12-20-2005, 11:21 AM
I agree with Tsa'ah and CT. I had a reply typed out but realized it's already been said. Furthermore, it's common sense to feel that way. Human suffering is a daily occurence. You can't pick and choose.

Latrinsorm
12-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah
Standard recurves take more skill and strength than a compound bow.I 100% agree that a recurve takes more strength. I completely disagree that it takes more skill. Assuming one had enough strength to hold the recurve (of equal power) steady while drawn, it's just a question of getting the sight properly calibrated for either type of bow and having a constant release point (or whatever it's called).

Also, the word is patience. :)

Tsa`ah
12-20-2005, 11:44 AM
I 100% agree that a recurve takes more strength. I completely disagree that it takes more skill. Assuming one had enough strength to hold the recurve (of equal power) steady while drawn, it's just a question of getting the sight properly calibrated for either type of bow and having a constant release point (or whatever it's called).

Also, the word is patience. :)

Go let off a few fl etching from either (same draw) at a moving target and come back to tell me which is easier.

I suck with a bow, but with a compound at 20 yards I can hit a target each time I loose. Maybe hit a deer sized moving target 20-30 % with the same bow.

Recurve, large stationary, 20 yards ... less than 95%. Large moving, 20 yards ... less than 5%.

Maybe the pulleys and counter weights are too complex for you to understand and you "feel" a compound bow has the greater difficulty, but holding 5lbs of pressure back, makes leading and compensating that much easier. Holding back 70-130lbs of pressure back and doing the same ... is by far the most strenuous.

Maybe it's after the hunt you're thinking about. Recurves are easy there. Scissoring your legs, one end of the bow between and push down to release the string ... bag and go. Easy.

Compounds require frequent maintenance ... those pulleys you know.

Aside from that it boils down to these two simple things.

Sight and sound.

You'd be amazed at how skittish deer get during the hunting season. If they detect the movement or sound of a draw, that's less time you have to react.

Gan
12-20-2005, 12:18 PM
1. Get naked
2. Roll in large mud puddle
3. Roll in pile of dead leaves before mud dries
4. Hold 10" KBar knife between teeth (no other non-painful place to hold it while naked)
5. Climb Tree
6. Sit on limb and wait for deer to pass underneath
7. Jump down on top of deer from limb while yelling "Kieeeeya!"
8. Plant KBar knife in deer skull (BOOM HEADSHOT)
9. Using fingers, paint war streaks on face using deer blood
10. Defacate at base of tree you were in to mark the kill and drag deer away for cleaning.

The only way to hunt.

Latrinsorm
12-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Go let off a few fl etching from either (same draw) at a moving target and come back to tell me which is easier. I'll admit I've never shot at a moving target, but I'm positive that with a recurve bow of low enough draw weight I could hit a large (about 2x2 feet I think?) stationary target at 20 yards 100% of the time (barring sneezing and what-have-you) because I've done it.
Holding back 70-130lbs of pressure back and doing the same ... is by far the most strenuous. I already agreed it requires more strength. Strength is not skill. Keeping an apparatus steady is strength (and to a lesser extent an inborn trait), and once one has enough strength to keep either steady, the skill portion is identical (follow the white rabbit).

Warriorbird
12-20-2005, 02:45 PM
The only way to hunt.

And remember to spend Vietnam at a girl's school in Switzerland, Rambo.

:snickers:

As far as the skill issue goes, if there's no skill in hunting, why do some people do well and some do terribly? I fish much more than I hunt, myself, and I certainly don't do it with a spear. I tend to outperform a fair portion of my relatives at landing decent sized fish at our family reunions. Am I just lucky?

Tsa`ah
12-20-2005, 04:41 PM
I'll admit I've never shot at a moving target,

Right there is where you need to stop and post nothing else.

but I'm positive that with a recurve bow of low enough draw weight I could hit a large (about 2x2 feet I think?) stationary target at 20 yards 100% of the time (barring sneezing and what-have-you) because I've done it.

So you've fired a practice recurve ... you don't hunt with low draw recurves, you practice with them.

1. A 10-30lb draw Jr bow is not a hunting bow. It makes the weak armed kids (and apparently adults now) feel like they're doing something.

If you ever managed to hit a deer with such a low draw bow ... you would maim it and chase it forever, and probably never find it.

2. you're using your experience with a low draw recurve and a stationary target. You're not drawing on the experience of a standard 45-60lb draw recurve and a moving target, nor are you drawing upon experience using a compound bow.

Compound bows are nothing more than science removing the strength/endurance element of archery. Again, this is so Jim Bob and his mullet can go bow hunting and maybe stand next to Grizzley Adams when it comes to bow hunting.

Jim Bob can anchor his compound in the drawn position and demonstrate the propor use of the beer helmet.

[Edited on 12-20-2005 by Tsa`ah]

Tsa`ah
12-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Warriorbird
As far as the skill issue goes, if there's no skill in hunting, why do some people do well and some do terribly?

Hunting is not a skill. Discerning the daily habits, such as where they eat, where they shit, where they run, and where they sleep takes some skill. If you don't put yourself in the path of what you're hunting, you're not going to kill it. There is skill.

Drawing aim and hitting your target with the weapon of choice takes skill with the weapon.

So, I agree that hunting takes some skill, just don't pat yourself on the back for what science does for you.

Hunting is largely waiting. It doesn't take any real skill to kill an animal, it just takes patience and good aim.

Some people get jack because:

A. They're stupid and stand up wind.
B. They're stupid and make noise.
C. They're stupid move around too much.
D. They suck at shooting things.
E. They're studid and don't notice the thing they're hunting walk right by them.
F. They're just in a bad area for what they're hunting.

I fish much more than I hunt, myself, and I certainly don't do it with a spear. I tend to outperform a fair portion of my relatives at landing decent sized fish at our family reunions. Am I just lucky?

1. You either fish more and know where to cast (a skill).
2. You know how to manipulate the lure (a skill)
3. You're luckier.

Again, unless you're fishing with worms, it comes down to lure selection, knowledge of how fish behave, and manipulating the lure.

I'd concede it takes more skill to fish than it does to hunt ... then again you're catching fish. Keep at it long enough and you'll catch something.

Same goes with hunting, specifically large mammal hunting. Stay in your stand long enough and something will go by if you don't spook it, don't stink, are down wind, and are able to aim and fire with competence.

Again, we're talking about killing animals and fishing ... not something that takes much more skill than practice and common sense can provide.

Latrinsorm
12-20-2005, 05:11 PM
Right there is where you need to stop and post nothing else.And if all you had said in the first place was about moving targets, I probably wouldn't have.
So you've fired a practice recurve ... you don't hunt with low draw recurves, you practice with them. Hence the point that a recurve hunting bow requires a lot of strength.

What I am in fact drawing on is logic. I don't have to swing a 40 ounce bat to know that it would be quite heavy, but otherwise identical to the mechanics of a 25 ounce bat (i.e. bat hit ball, ball go over yonder). Similarly, while hitting a moving ball (target) is certainly more difficult than hitting a ball off a tee (stationary target), a near-weightless bat and a heavier bat that did not require strain to swing would have the same step in difficulty.

Warriorbird
12-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Eh. A cricket bat and a baseball bat seem similar on many levels, but are definitely different. I'd say it's something like that.