PDA

View Full Version : Finals rant

Jenisi
12-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Christ, this semester has been WAY too freaking long. So in addition to the textbook for the class and the lectures we've had to read a 600 page book, a 250 page book and a 200 page book over the semester each worth as much as an exam. So I have to listen to this guy talk about the civil war in class, watch civil war movies and read this goddamn book that isn't even REMOTELY decent and I want to pull my freaking hair out. I mean just give me a test or some shit on the lectures and text book. I'd prefer memorizing facts than reading these goddamn books and writing out my thoughts on them up to his standards. And my anthropology class, no way does this guy teach it like a 100 level course. I'm just getting to the "I don't give a fuck I just want the damn semester to be over” point. And the stress is getting to me :( /endrant

Hips
12-10-2005, 01:47 PM
All I have left is a 10-12 page historical paper that can be about whatever I want, as long as it pertains to the history of witchcraft. It's due Tuesday. I have a page done so far. Writing a paper on your birthday SUCKS. :(

At least as soon as I hand it in, I can head home for break. Yay!

Jenisi
12-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Well happy birthday at least!!! I wish I could write a 20 page paper instead of read this fucking book, seriously. It's horrible. :( :( :(

DeV
12-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Jenisi
"I don't give a fuck I just want the damn semester to be over” point. My sentiments exactly. I can't wait for the overwhelming feeling of finality to encompass my entire being come Friday. Take home finals are not fucking easy no matter what your friends may lead you to believe.

100 level Anthropology is no joke. I took it in my undergrad and came out with a B. I went into it thinking it'd be an easy A. I was dead wrong, though hardly applied myself as well as I should have. Good luck to anyone going through the mental roller coaster that is finals week.

Skeeter
12-10-2005, 01:53 PM
suck it up cupcake. :whistle:

yup finals suck(ed)

Jenisi
12-10-2005, 02:01 PM
LOL. Bitching feels better :p

Lomoriond
12-10-2005, 02:34 PM
I got lucky as hell this quarter... took a coordinated studies class that had FOUR 30 page essays slated, three out of class and one in class for a final (you try writing 30 pages BY HAND) in addition to seven different texts (2000 pages collectively) and sixty movies (50 of which we had to rent and watch out of class, 20 of those which I couldn't find in any sane movie store and ended up having to buy) all this with TWO english professors who are anal and will dock you 20% of your credit if a single comma is misused (and they ALWAYS see them!)

But the good doctors goofed at the end of the quarter, cancelled the last two weeks INCLUDING the final and accepted the 3rd essay as our final exam. I'll take the luck where I can get it... I still have to decipher the lecture notes from my greek professor... did I say greek? I meant history... though it ought to have been in greek the way I understood it.

School sucks, I'm gonna go get a job giving enemas to baby raccoons.

Did I say enemas? I meant flipping burgers for snot-nosed punks (You are not the burger king David....)

[Edited on 12-10-2005 by Lomoriond]

Jenisi
12-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Heh, I wouldn't survive that class. I've been putting of W131 for ages. I hate English; I'm horrible at it and not afraid to admit it. In my physics course I explained everything perfectly to a T on the essay questions, even though I was only supposed to answer one I answered both for kicks... and because it wasn't formed in complete sentences he knocked off 50%. I was FURIOUS. One day I'm going to have to suck it up, but I just can't seem to care.

StrayRogue
12-10-2005, 02:45 PM
I'm glad (or I was glad) we don't get finals over here.

Miss X
12-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Yeah, sounds like hell on earth, I feel for you guys! We used to have finals once a year in undergrad, around June time. Grad school we get nothing but coursework over the two years and a research proposal to submit to the ethics committee at the end of the second year. Really need to start working on my review of the existing literature but I prefer to procrastinate about how I will do it rather than actually do it…

I used to love proper exams though, so much less effort than coursework!

[Edited on 12-10-2005 by Miss X]

Farquar
12-10-2005, 04:11 PM
For my final Princeton thesis I had to spend countless hours in a stuffy rare book room translating a medieval French manuscript for roughly three or four paragraphs I needed-all while an 80-year old security guard looked over my shoulder. The pages were flecked with gold and semi-precious gemstones, so it wasn't unreasonable to have a guard there, but, you know.

Still get nightmares just thinking about it.

Bobmuhthol
12-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Just wait until you hit sophomore year of high school. That's where the hard work is.

Warriorbird
12-10-2005, 04:31 PM
I think my senior year (of undergrad) I read like 4500 pages.

:P

Don't complain. Years later you'll miss college.

[Edited on 12-10-2005 by Warriorbird]

Atlanteax
12-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Warriorbird
Don't complain. Years later you'll miss college.
[Edited on 12-10-2005 by Warriorbird]

Aye, I long for the "easy breezy" college days of the past... :no:

longshot
12-10-2005, 07:31 PM
I can't fucking wait to back to school.

9 more months...

Jayvn
12-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Good luck to whoever needs it... just think of all the sleep you get to have after.

Jazuela
12-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Don't college professors give outlines out to their students at the beginning of the semester anymore? Back in the dinosaur age, we knew by the end of our first week in class the requirements for our final paper, final exam, midterm paper, midterm exam, and any other "scheduled" exams and papers. Usually I had my midterm paper done by the end of the first month of class, my final was finished shortly after the midterm exam was over. Basically I just did one paper every month, in addition to the usual weekly stuff, and that covered all the scheduled papers for the semester.

Reading books was part of the coursework, but I probably would've read those books on my own time anyway. Memorizing dates, that was the hard part. I could remember that there was a war between this and that, but I couldn't remember the year. I never understood why it mattered - so what if it was 1279, and not 1278? It was in the late 1200's for chrissakes and they should be grateful I managed to remember that much.

Fortunately for me most of my exams were in-class essays (print journalism majors write a LOT), so I aced most of my classes for all four years. History, probability/statistics, and copyright law were much harder for me, but I didn't mind the B's and C's in those since the A's in my other classes kept me on the dean's list for all but two semesters out 4 years of college.

Makkah
12-11-2005, 03:23 PM
<<Writing a paper on your birthday SUCKS. >>

I feel you. My birthday is tomorrow and every 5 out of 7 years (excluding leaps), I have had finals on my b-day.

This year is no different.

HarmNone
12-11-2005, 03:24 PM
:birthday: , Makkah! Have a great day. :)

Goldenranger
12-11-2005, 03:46 PM
First law school exam tomorrow, so glad I'm not in a dorm like some of my 1L buddies, 30 other stressed out 1Ls = hell

TheEschaton
12-11-2005, 04:28 PM
I'd prefer memorizing facts than reading these goddamn books and writing out my thoughts on them up to his standards.

Let me start my own rant:

/rant
That's what's wrong with the American education system any more. No one wants to think for themselves, they simply want to regurgitate facts and move on, do what's easiest. That'll fly in high school, babe, if you're lucky, but not in college. No one loves to learn any more, they simply want to skip from A to B, B being the point where you rake in the cash, have the house in the suburbs, the perfect spouse, the 2.5 kids, and the golden retriever. Well, I'm here to tell you, as the infinitely wise Notorious B.I.G. said (with nominal help from one Sean Combs and his counterpart Mase) with more money, comes more problems, the house has a leaky roof, your spouse is fucking your neighbor while you're slaving for the cash, having half a kid kind of stains the carpet, and sometimes the golden retriever takes a shit in the front hall. Think for yourself, learn to love the process, because the goals will always suck once you get there - you can only love the journey on the way.
/endrant

Needless to say, I agree with longshot - I can't wait to go back to school in August. I'd be an academic if I could. Still might be, who knows.

-TheE-

Lomoriond
12-11-2005, 04:55 PM
No one wants to think for themselves, they simply want to regurgitate facts and move on, do what's easiest.

Ironically... the few professors at my school who grade you on your ability to think (rather than your ability to regurgitate the facts they feed you) are more widely despised than the anal retentive assholes who will fail you not showing ALL your work (I'm sorry professor stinkypants... I didn't find it neccessary to write down 4+4=8) or the ones who dock you half your grade for not citing exactly where on the page you cited from (oops, i'ms orry.. I was the third paragraph, second sentence on page 6 million --- what? i lose another 20% for saying 6 instead of six?)

The real question here is... did the true scholars burn out on asshole teachers... or did the true teachers burn out on asshole students?

More ironically... I'm studying to BECOME a teacher, even though i've come to despise the teaching process as of late... what ever will become of me?

TheEschaton
12-11-2005, 04:59 PM
That's what I'm saying here. It seems the ranter is ranting against a professor who wants her to read something, actually comprehend it, and form a cohesive thought about it. NOT about someone who is a stickler for the facts, though she did mention the physics teacher later.

-TheE-

Lomoriond
12-11-2005, 05:25 PM
I feel for her just because it's a history class she's ranting about...

If I had to read 1,000 pages, + movies + lectures... and then form an "original" thought that will get failed when it doesn't match the professor's belief system word for word... I'd probably get pretty frustrated too.

But thats me... I hate history

Keller
12-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Goldenranger
First law school exam tomorrow, so glad I'm not in a dorm like some of my 1L buddies, 30 other stressed out 1Ls = hell

I already took Torts and CivPro. I've got K on Tuesday and then an ethics (bullshit) final on Friday.

I had to stay away from the school because I couldn't stand listening to everyone bitch about how long their outline was, how much they needed to learn, how hard essay two from 2001's exam was, how Padraic wasn't going to have an outline for CivPro, etc. It's like a fucking beauty shop in the library during finals week.

Makkah
12-11-2005, 06:22 PM
This thread just got 87 degrees more lame in the last 4 or so posts. Thanks guys.

PS: Thanks Snapp, I almost came off as sounding insensitive.

[Edited on 12-12-2005 by Skirmisher]

Goldenranger
12-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Makkah
This thread just got 87 degrees more lame in the last 4 or so posts. Thanks guys.

Not our fault that a majority of law students turn catty, I think its ridiculous as well.

[Edited on 12-12-2005 by HarmNone]

Makkah
12-11-2005, 06:30 PM
It's obvious i was using it as a surrogate measurement of how "cool" a threat was...

But to more directly answer your question: degrees of course.

Farquar
12-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Where do you go to school Goldenranger?

Goldenranger
12-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Hofstra - Nassau County Long Island

Farquar
12-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Hofstra - Nassau County Long Island

Ah a fellow (future) NY lawyer...don't forget that stuff you're learning now for the bar. Keep it in the back of your mind these next couple of years.

Daniel
12-11-2005, 10:06 PM
I totally agree with TheE. Then again I've enjoyed learning for learning's sake and never really felt compelled to go to classes to learn until I finally decided I needed a college degree to get where I wanted to be.

So, This winter I'll be starting the assfuck that will be having to deal with 18-21 year old babies who seem to think that 15 hours a week of mandated learning is somehow such a horrible experience despite the fact that they could easily mitigate the worst parts of class by being proactive and not leaving everything to the last second.

Then of course there will the part about having to deal with pretenious assholes who seem to think that the world is here to serve them and only them. Yea, it's gonna be interesting. Hopefully, I don't end up in jail for railing some frat punk in the face (with my fist you pervs).

and the sad part is that I'm seriously contemplating going for a law degree in NY. I think I should just shoot myself now and save myself the agony.

[Edited on 12-12-2005 by Snapp]

Edaarin
12-11-2005, 10:12 PM
I'm actually feeling a little down. I'm taking finals for the second to last time as an undergraduate. My only beef is that all the libraries around here look like Chinatown at this time of year, and it's hard sometimes to get work done when living with 18 year olds.

Interestingly, I only have two finals this semester. Federal Taxation I may be the most mind-numbing class I've ever taken. This shit is straight memorization...there's just an insane number of regulations and excetions that don't make a lot of sense to remember. God forbid we have an Internal Revenue Code that's symmetric and makes sense.

Makkah
12-11-2005, 10:41 PM
What's better than someone studying strictly on a test-to-test basis? The 4 condescending assholes telling him he should feel honored to learn and to appreciate knowledge in its rawest form.

That or a lawyer, of course.

Daniel
12-12-2005, 02:01 AM
You don't even like Jeezy. stfu.

Terminator X
12-12-2005, 02:59 AM
::bitches incessantly about why his finals are staining his soul far worse than any other finals-taking individual::

- The Termite

Hips
12-13-2005, 02:09 AM
2,521 words and done. I don't want to be an European History major anymore! :cry:

Edaarin
12-13-2005, 07:49 AM
Federal Taxation exam is in about an hour. Professor's giving us six pages of notes that we can take into it, so hopefully won't be too bad.

My first gut class (sociology of immigration) is at 2, but I'm not worried about that too much.

TheEschaton
12-13-2005, 08:09 AM
Gut class? General Unified Theory?

-TheE-

Jenisi
12-13-2005, 03:32 PM
It's a novel. And holy crap, you can learn a lot by facts! I didn't learn anything new by reading the novel, for the record. I pray you don't take everything in life out of context with everything you read and get so frustrated you lose hope in humanity. Anyway, 3 finals down and one to go. Regardless, it's a gen ed class, not related to my major. History is imporant and I understand that everyone that did something for us today deserves recognition, I just get frustrated when they get so picky about it. Anyway, hope you regain your faith in the youths of America.

Jenisi
12-13-2005, 03:37 PM
And P.S. I don't exactly call college the "easy days" for everyone. I put in 30 hours in 3 days on the weekends at Applebees, work 15 hours as executive hospitality producer for my campus's programming board and on top of that have to attend all the events we put on (which is 1-2 a week and range from 2 hours to 9 hours) have 12 credit hours plus I'm a member of the physics club and do volunteer work as well. I support myself. I do side tutoring for Solar System courses. And the only day off I had all semester was Thanksgiving. So if you want to top that, go for it. If not, I wouldn't call it the easy days.

Keller
12-13-2005, 03:52 PM
I took my contracts final today. It consisted of 9 multiple choice questions with short answer justifications and one policy essay.

In the policy essay we were asked to discuss the benefits and detriments to the following "prospective" causes of action:

1) Wrongful Breach of Contract
Too bad there was no indication of what a "wrongful" breach is and we've never used this terminology in the course. I read all 1037 pages of the casebook and attended every lecture. We never used it.

2) Malicious Interference with Contractual Relationships
To the extent that we covered this in one case, it was discussed in the arena of tort law.

3) Malicious Interference with Prospective Contractual Relationships
We never covered this. Never.

The weight of the components was 2/3 essay, 1/3 multiple choice. In essence, 2/3rds of our grade will be based on how well we can bullshit on substantive material we never covered. Of course this gives a very real advantage to anyone who majored in economics or some sort of social policy. Suffice to say I'm pretty pissed off right now. /endrant

Edaarin
12-13-2005, 03:54 PM
I just finished. So tired.

At least I have a general idea now about how to calculate deemed foreign income tax paid!

Bobmuhthol
12-13-2005, 04:21 PM
<<So if you want to top that, go for it. If not, I wouldn't call it the easy days.>>

You wouldn't have to do so much had you gotten a full scholarship and a better job.

Atlanteax
12-13-2005, 04:22 PM
It's a novel. And holy crap, you can learn a lot by facts! I didn't learn anything new by reading the novel, for the record. I pray you don't take everything in life out of context with everything you read and get so frustrated you lose hope in humanity. Anyway, 3 finals down and one to go. Regardless, it's a gen ed class, not related to my major. History is imporant and I understand that everyone that did something for us today deserves recognition, I just get frustrated when they get so picky about it. Anyway, hope you regain your faith in the youths of America.

And P.S. I don't exactly call college the "easy days" for everyone. I put in 30 hours in 3 days on the weekends at Applebees, work 15 hours as executive hospitality producer for my campus's programming board and on top of that have to attend all the events we put on (which is 1-2 a week and range from 2 hours to 9 hours) have 12 credit hours plus I'm a member of the physics club and do volunteer work as well. I support myself. I do side tutoring for Solar System courses. And the only day off I had all semester was Thanksgiving. So if you want to top that, go for it. If not, I wouldn't call it the easy days.

Poor Jenisi, Life is so harsh and cruel... and full of injustice. :rolleyes:

Btw, have you considered the use of sedatives to "chill out" for a change?

Jenisi
12-13-2005, 04:31 PM
I never said life was cruel or unjust. Obviously if I do all that stuff it's because I like it, All I’m saying is please don't claim college students have it sooooooo easy. And by the way Bob, I average 16 dollars and hour and actually my school IS paid for. I have rent, car insurance, cell, food and gas to pay for. And I don't think writing a paragraph constitutes leading to the assumption I need to take a sedative.

[Edited on 12-13-2005 by Jenisi]

TheEschaton
12-13-2005, 04:43 PM
From sophomore year to senior year, I woke up every day at 6 AM, was out the door by 7, and often didn't get back til 9 or 10 each night. My roommates often didn't see me for days at a time. I worked 30 hours a week, volunteered another 15, ran those same volunteer organizations (respectively: 500, and 700 students), which was probably a full time job in and of itself, worked in campus ministry on retreats, worked in the Church on weekends, as a lector/eucharistic minister/sacristan, had one of the most time intensive majors in the university (Comp Sci), and went to protests at least twice a week because I was in school in the lead up to the Iraq war.

And I loved each and every second of it. NOwadays, if I do a third as much, I consider it a productive day. There's a feeling to college about being able to do it all, and part of that is because you're doing too much. It's great. And you seem to be doing it - don't worry, you'll look back on it fondly.

-TheE-

P.S. Did I say it's easy? I don't think I did, but if I did, I'm mistaken. But it's the most fun you'll ever have. ;-)

Bobmuhthol
12-13-2005, 04:56 PM
<<And by the way Bob, I average 16 dollars and hour and actually my school IS paid for.>>

1. $16 an hour is absolutely laughable.
2. Then what the fuck are you complaining about?

<<I have rent, car insurance, cell, food and gas to pay for.>>

You do not need a cell phone.

CrystalTears
12-13-2005, 04:58 PM
WTF is laughable about making $16 an hour?!!

DeV
12-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Not a damn thing. Especially without a degree.

Edaarin
12-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Graduation is in 6 months.

Fuck.

Skeeter
12-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Man the real world is going to wake bob up a little bit

Bobmuhthol
12-13-2005, 05:27 PM
"I have a good job because I *average* $16 an hour as a waitress in a chain restaurant."

If that's the real world, then you won't be seeing me around any time soon.

HarmNone
12-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Did anyone else hear what sounded like a sigh of relief from the real world? ;)

j/k

Skeeter
12-13-2005, 05:36 PM
33k a year is a very good job without a degree, especially in the part of the country that Jenisi lives.

Lucky you, if your family is rich, and you anticipate everything being handed to you.

Most people have to work hard to get by, and until you actually have to provide for yourself bob, your opinions aren't going to hold much water.

Bobmuhthol
12-13-2005, 05:43 PM
<<33k a year is a very good job without a degree>>

<25k. She works 30 hours a week.

<<especially in the part of the country that Jenisi lives.>>

Maybe she should.. move????

<<Lucky you, if your family is rich, and you anticipate everything being handed to you. >>

Not lucky me, as this is not the case.

<<Most people have to work hard to get by, and until you actually have to provide for yourself bob, your opinions aren't going to hold much water.>>

Obviously no one I know works hard.

My opinions aren't clouded by accepting anything less than the best. When I do have to provide for myself, I'll give you a call and let you know that I win.

Edited because I realize you said "if" and didn't state that my family is rich.

[Edited on 12-13-2005 by Bobmuhthol]

Skeeter
12-13-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by BobmuhtholMy opinions aren't clouded by accepting anything less than the best. When I do have to provide for myself, I'll give you a call and let you know that I win.

Hope everything works out exactly to your expectations, and life doesn't throw you any curves. Good luck with that.

Daniel
12-13-2005, 06:22 PM
What are you guys talking about? Bob, never making less than 60k a year? pfft, he's going to some school in mass that no one has ever heard of because he's too afraid to apply anywhere else.

Obviously, he's better at life than the rest of us.

Bobmuhthol
12-13-2005, 06:23 PM
<<he's going to some school in mass that no one has ever heard of>>

.................................................. ................................

Yeah, that's so true!

Daniel
12-13-2005, 06:25 PM
I know it is. ;)

Celephais
12-13-2005, 07:02 PM
No guys, Bob is going to do great in the real world.

Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
Hi, I'm on the road to becoming a hacker.
Bob, your ego is only rivaled by the size of your chin. The real world is going to absolutely pwn you.

Bobmuhthol
12-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Did I say that hacker = career? What the fuck does that have to do with anything, and why would you take it seriously?

I wanted to know the process of editing executables to remove CD checks, therefore the real world is too much for me to handle???

Keller
12-13-2005, 10:13 PM
So guys . . . how are finals going?

DeV
12-13-2005, 11:20 PM
I'll have my life back come Friday.

Makkah
12-13-2005, 11:32 PM
Mine are eating my asshole like Mike Tyson.

Fortunately, I only have one left. Unfortunately, it's my hardest and most important one.

Goldenranger
12-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Crim law was pretty nasty, had a kid actually cry. Not particularly difficult material just alot of it. Have Contracts tomorrow which should be easy unless my prof pulls something out his ass like yours did... After that only three more left

[Edited on 12-14-2005 by Goldenranger]

Hulkein
12-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Edaarin
Graduation is in 6 months.

Fuck.

I know, same for me... It's horrible.

I really did next to nothing, went to the bars 4 nights a week, and still got like a 3.4. I'm dreading having to enter the real world, this life right now is too good.

Hulkein
12-13-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
<<And by the way Bob, I average 16 dollars and hour and actually my school IS paid for.>>

1. $16 an hour is absolutely laughable.

$16 an hour isn't bad for a part time job while in college... I know you have aspirations as a bank teller, but not everyone can handle counting out change.

AbnInfamy
12-14-2005, 12:11 AM
16 dollars an hour is a pretty nice job especially if you throw some overtime in there. What ever happened to working class pride?

Wish my wife could get a 16 dollar an hour job -with- her degree. I guess money matters more than likely what you do nowadays.

Syberus
12-14-2005, 12:32 AM
It's a good thing we were allowed to use our books in my Management final earlier tonight or I would have been completely dead. I'd imagine though that the teacher did this on purpose... We had to write 5 essay questions on a broad range of topics.. and most of them asked us to refer specifically to a person's study or a graph burried somewhere in the 500 page book, it kind of blew... but I think I did alright.

longshot
12-14-2005, 01:06 AM
Crim law was pretty nasty, had a kid actually cry.

Was this a man?

I want more details.

Not that I derive pleasure from other people's failures or anything...

Oh, and good luck to the rest of the finals takers out there.

Goldenranger
12-14-2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by longshot

Was this a man?

I want more details.

Hehe, only because I went on two dates with him at the beginning of the year and ended that quickly due to his immaturity will I say it was indeed a man.

Just another reason why some shouldn't go straight from undergrad to law school, though if an intense exam will set off the tears I don't think "real employment" will be that much better.

Bah I'm up too late, time to have some more fabulous dreams about studying

Daniel
12-14-2005, 01:29 AM
Hahaha, what a bitch. GR are you a dude too?

longshot
12-14-2005, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Daniel
Hahaha, what a bitch. GR are you a dude too?

Yeah, you took my question.

Two dates, eh?

Was there some pity sex involved?

Latrinsorm
12-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by AbnInfamy
What ever happened to working class pride?He is from MA, after all.

The English here have this bizarre system where all finals, even for 1 semester courses that take place in the fall term, take place in a month-long period in the summer. As I'm not going to be here then, I only have to take one final. Not only that, but because students historically do extremely poorly on it, the professor has assured me that my grade will be sharply curved upwards when reported to my home university.

However, I would trade this situation for any listed so far in this thread in America in a heartbeat (besides the dude crying).

Keller
12-14-2005, 04:10 PM

Was this a man?

I want more details.

Oh, and good luck to the rest of the finals takers out there.

Someone has cried after every final I've taken.

All of them girls.

Warriorbird
12-14-2005, 04:22 PM
I really did next to nothing, went to the bars 4 nights a week, and still got like a 3.4. I'm dreading having to enter the real world, this life right now is too good.

Sounds eerily like my college career. I started out after graduation pretty directionless. There have been some definite ups and downs but it is getting better.

Hulkein
12-14-2005, 05:01 PM

Sounds eerily like my college career. I started out after graduation pretty directionless. There have been some definite ups and downs but it is getting better.

I might be just as directionless depending on how the LSATs go in February.

Warriorbird
12-14-2005, 06:26 PM
I strongly reccommend Powerscore.

Hulkein
12-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Did you take the 16 hour course or the 80 hour course?

80 hour one is out of the question for me, just curious what one you did.

[Edited on 12-15-2005 by Hulkein]

Warriorbird
12-14-2005, 07:55 PM
I took the 80. I could've afforded the 16. I got help from my parents to pay for the 80 though. I imagine just the 16 would be worth it, however.

Hulkein
12-14-2005, 08:06 PM
Yeah, they're not offering the 80 anymore for the Feb. test, not enough time, I might go with the 16 though. Thanks for the info.

Back
12-14-2005, 08:31 PM
My final is done. Ok, I only took one class this semester. But I am going back full time for Spring.

My magazine (http://www.zendada.com/corcoran/Fall2005/Adbusters.pdf) which is the main part of the final as it has to be printed and bound, but is carried by a media kit, which is something publications give to prospective advertisers. Not to hard for me as I did a make-over on Adbusters. LOL.

Sorry for the shitty quality of the PDF. I haven’t upgraded my Quark yet. (2.6mb dl)

Jenisi
12-15-2005, 06:02 PM
finals are done... 3 1/2 weeks of pure freedom. Which I just plan on working my ass off during.

longshot
12-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein

I might be just as directionless depending on how the LSATs go in February.

Don't do it. Seriously.

When I was a senior in college, it was appealing to me too. All you had to do was take a single test, and you could get another three years to "find yourself".

Talk to some lawyers. Really talk to them.

If this has been your dream, then I understand... but don't do it just to do it because some people that are lawyers make good money.

Not going to law school was probably the best decision I have made in my life.

On another note...

Keller, I can understand crying after... but during? I want to hear some stories!

Keller
12-15-2005, 11:18 PM
Keller, I can understand crying after... but during? I want to hear some stories!

During my CivPro exam a girl who spent most of the semester shopping on her laptop left in the midddle of the second half of test in tears. At least she got better at spider solitare.

The other instances were post-exam. People just run out of the exam room and cry in discrete corners of the school. It's pretty weak if you ask me. You should know how prepared you are before the exam. You shouldn't be surprised.

Daniel
12-16-2005, 03:10 AM
I plan on going to law school but not actually being an attorney at law. Hopefully get a Job @ the un or some shit.

Sean of the Thread
12-16-2005, 03:31 AM
What compels people to want to practice law is beyond me. Not that I have a better idea as I'm completly without direction currently.

Daniel
12-16-2005, 03:36 AM
I have no desire to be a practicing attorney, but I'd rather have the background in it so I can help do shit I want to like formulate international policy etc. I have a knack for law that stems from being the kid who always used rules to get the fuck out of trouble as a kid.

Sean of the Thread
12-16-2005, 03:50 AM
I strongly reccommend Powerscore.

I strongly reccommend you change your avatar as it makes me giggle like a bitch.

DeV
12-16-2005, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by Xyelin
What compels people to want to practice law is beyond me. Burning desire and money. At least that's true in my case. I look at it as an investment. My Master's is the security blanket. Law Degree is the payoff, but I want it hard regardless.

Latrinsorm
12-16-2005, 09:00 AM
70/80, definitely. Normally this would be unacceptably low, but over here I only need like a 65% to get an A. FTW.

Goldenranger
12-16-2005, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Keller
During my CivPro exam a girl who spent most of the semester shopping on her laptop left in the middle of the second half of test in tears. At least she got better at spider solitare.

Oh God I :heart: wireless. It really serves a dual function. The first being when people who have no idea whats going on begin leading the prof into some wayward land of reviewing elementary concepts or "I was watching Bill O'Reilly last night and...." Meaning I now have a good 15-20 minutes to read boards or the news while the class has been hijacked by a moron.

The second function is for lowering the curve... got to love the people who make it look like they expect law school to be an education in pogo.com/online poker/ or shoe and lingerie shopping. This isn't a rare occurence , but rather, every day in class these distractions seem to totally absorb their time, and while it is great to watch the preparation for the trainwreck build up, that trainwreck of crying during/after finals is beautiful.

2/5 finals done, Torts is today which is a breeze, enter the weekend 60% done with finals, god I hate all of you who have already finished

Edaarin
12-16-2005, 11:03 AM
I got a C+ on my sociology of immigration final. Go figure, my gut class turns out to be my worst grade.

I hate rote memorization.

Hulkein
12-16-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Daniel
I plan on going to law school but not actually being an attorney at law. Hopefully get a Job @ the un or some shit.

Kind of where I stand, too.

Plenty of options besides being a prosecutor or defense attorney. Lawyers are needed in sports more than ever. I'd love to be an agent.

I'm not just doing it because I have no other direction, I've always had some interest in it, it was just so far off I didn't think much about it until recently.

Apotheosis
12-16-2005, 11:55 AM
DONEANDIWINATLIFEANDIGETTOGRADUATENOW