PDA

View Full Version : Video Games

xtc
12-10-2005, 11:52 AM
I haven't played video games in years but I was thinking about going out today and buying a video game console. I was leaning towards the PS2 as it seems to be a good system and the price of the games seem reasonable ($40 CDN).

I can pick up a PS2 for $160 Cdn.

I wanted opinions of what console you guys like and why?

Trinitis
12-10-2005, 11:58 AM
PS2 is a good system, with a pretty good selecton of games. But if you are wanting opinons, I'd get a SNES. Classic games, some really good RPGS, all around good system.

Wezas
12-10-2005, 12:00 PM
I'm a playstation guy.

Never had a problem with the Playstation 1. My PS2 finally got unusable (laser degraded over time) after about 3 years, and I bought another.

It basically comes down to which games you would like.

I liked the Grand Theft Auto & Gran Turismo series. GTA games take 6 months to a year to get to Xbox/PC after they hit PS2.

My vote, PS2.

But then again I'm not a big Xbox fan.

Even less of one after they made the same overheating mistake with the new Xbox. Sad to think of all the kids that won't even open their Xbox 360 till Christmas - to find it might start crashing on them.

Trinitis
12-10-2005, 12:04 PM
might start crashing? The guy at the local game stop said their 360 crashes 4-6 times a day.

Wezas
12-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Trinitis
might start crashing? The guy at the local game stop said their 360 crashes 4-6 times a day.

I've heard from a few people who play theirs regularly that they've had no problems. Others I've heard from (and of course the news) say otherwise.

It may just be a matter of time, but some have had no crashes yet.

fallenSaint
12-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Love the Xbox but PS2 definitely kept me better off Game Selection style so Id vote for it. Look for Final Fantasy X, Indigo Prophecy, and Soul Calibur 3 for some fun.

xtc
12-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Trinitis
PS2 is a good system, with a pretty good selecton of games. But if you are wanting opinons, I'd get a SNES. Classic games, some really good RPGS, all around good system.

I checked out a retailer in Canada online. They have ;

Nintendo GameCube System - Jet

and

Nintendo GameCube System - Platinum

is this what you were referring to and if so which one is better?

Trinitis
12-10-2005, 12:17 PM
No. I'm refering to the Super Nintendo. :) It's an older game system. Outdated, some might say. But I personally find the quality of storylines in the games to be much better. I also tend to enjoy the fact that I have to care less about scratches on the games, and searching for the correct memory card.

Jayvn
12-10-2005, 12:47 PM
PS2 ftw, not to mention it's reverse compatible, so you can play all the good ps1 games on it too.

Kefka
12-10-2005, 01:17 PM
PS2 definitely. Do they still sell SNES? You can just download ZNES and it's games for free.

Sean of the Thread
12-10-2005, 02:04 PM
PS2 is good choice for getting back into it. I don't take you as a sports guy but the selection and quality is the best. I would suggest looking into a HD mod. The price is right for a ps2/games.

SNES and NES rock as well and can be found pretty cheap. I recently picked up a full Sega genesis and sega cd system with about 40 games for 15 bucks at a yard sale... can't beat that.

A dreamcast rocks if you can find one just for soul calibur and the such alone.

xtc
12-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Xyelin
PS2 is good choice for getting back into it. I don't take you as a sports guy but the selection and quality is the best. I would suggest looking into a HD mod. The price is right for a ps2/games.

SNES and NES rock as well and can be found pretty cheap. I recently picked up a full Sega genesis and sega cd system with about 40 games for 15 bucks at a yard sale... can't beat that.

A dreamcast rocks if you can find one just for soul calibur and the such alone.

Thanks Xyelin and everyone for the recomendations. Believe it or not I grew up playing hockey, soccer, wrestling(started in teens), boxing (started in teens). I am not a football fan. I use to love the NBA basketball game at the arcade, despite the fact in real life I can't play basketball for shit. If PS2 has a lot of good sports games I will be happy. I would also like to try out alot of the army/special forces type games like Tom Clancy's one.

xtc
12-10-2005, 07:19 PM
I went to Best Buy and checked out PS2 and the new XBox 360. I have to say the new Xbox 360 looks pretty impressive on a large screen HDTV. The resolution and sound are incredible, of course they are sold out and the new Xbox looks like it was rushed to market with quality as an afterthought. I certainly don't want to spend $500 CDN on a system only to find out I have bought an expensive paper weight. Hopefully they will fix their design defects.

I wonder how the new PS3 will compare to Xbox360?

Wezas
12-11-2005, 02:09 AM
From what I hear, graphics are going to be better, and it will use blu-ray technology for their games's (decent amount more storage).

Alot information about blu-ray vs. HDDVD. It might turn into the next VHS vs. Betamax type of format battle.

Chaddy
12-11-2005, 10:15 AM
SNES and PS2 buy em both.

Jayvn
12-11-2005, 02:45 PM
if you want to play snes just download snes9x er whatever it was called and the roms... :: shrug :: It definately helps with those impossible to get snes games.

Kefka
12-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Jayvn
if you want to play snes just download snes9x er whatever it was called and the roms... :: shrug :: It definately helps with those impossible to get snes games.

I like znes. Comes attached with pro action replay and game genie. Haven't checked out snes9x. Any good features on it?

Latrinsorm
12-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Snes9x has easy to access save states and frame skip. It has a cheat enterer thing that accepts Game Genie and that other kind, plus it lets you search for cheats which turns out to be pretty helpful once you get the knack of it. I prefer it over ZSNES.

It should be noted that the IDSA (or something) is cracking down on ROM piracy so the big name games can be harder to find.

Ebondale
12-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Honestly PS2, XBOX, and GameCube are all good systems. Can't go wrong with any one of them. GameCube does have fewer "Mature" games on it than other systems do, but it has a lot of really enjoyable "E" games like Animal Crossing that make up for it.

SNES9X is a great program, too. If you're into playing some older games then I would suggest getting an XBOX so you can mod it. Friends of mine have NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, PSX, and other games all on their XBOX. Its crazy stuff to sit down at an XBOX and load up Super Metroid or Streets of Rage. Good times. :)