PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS vs. PSP

Drinin
12-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Anyone here own either of these? My parents are determined to have something under the tree when I come over for Xmas and I can't really think of anything else that I want. Any recommendations either way? I'm not really interested in watching movies or playing music. I really just want something with some fun games.

[Edited on 12-8-2005 by Drinin]

Wezas
12-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Cost wise, the DS is cheaper.

If you like Nintendo's games (Zelda, Mario, etc) then I'd say DS

PSP is widescreen, has wi-fi capabilities and additional software so you can web browse, etc.

Basically it comes down to if you want to stay a kid or move up to the big toys.

Hips
12-08-2005, 12:16 PM
In my opinion, the DS has better games. Mario Kart DS, Lost in Blue, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Sprung!, Mario 64, etc. It can also play GBA games, so it's like two systems in one. If you don't care about being able to listen to music or watching movies, the DS is definitely the way to go. I got mine not too long ago and I love it.

fallenSaint
12-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Its really based on your style of gameplay; DS offers up the "kiddy" style where as I enjoy the hell out of Mario Kart and the such. PSP offers more complex graphics and a different genre of games. When voting for one over the other Id probably put dibs in on the PSP.

Drinin
12-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Yah, that's the problem. I browsed the game listings for each system and saw games on both ends that interest me greatly. While I'm not too concerned about playing movies and shit, the PSP's wifi capability may end up being the deciding factor. I've got a few days to decide before I have my parents start leaving 40 messages on my voice mail I suppose. Personally I'd just rather have a check that I can use to pay for my parking the rest of the year, but whatever.

Drew2
12-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Uh, DS has WiFi.

Noobs. (http://www.nintendowifi.com/global/index.jsp?locale=en_US)

[Edited on 12-8-2005 by Tayre]

fallenSaint
12-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Drinin
Yah, that's the problem. I browsed the game listings for each system and saw games on both ends that interest me greatly. While I'm not too concerned about playing movies and shit, the PSP's wifi capability may end up being the deciding factor. I've got a few days to decide before I have my parents start leaving 40 messages on my voice mail I suppose. Personally I'd just rather have a check that I can use to pay for my parking the rest of the year, but whatever.

Both devices do have similar hardware functions such as the WiFi so thats not really what puts them apart. And without the preference to using the PSP as a PMP its kind of hard to find any one deciding factor other than the game lineup and upcoming games. Maybe flip through some yet to be released items and see if anything sways you one way or the other.

Drinin
12-08-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Tayre
Uh, DS has WiFi.

Noobs. (http://www.nintendowifi.com/global/index.jsp?locale=en_US)

[Edited on 12-8-2005 by Tayre]

Well damn. Back to game selection then, heh.

imported_Kranar
12-08-2005, 02:54 PM
PSP load times are absolutely rediculous, it's why I haven't bought one yet.

I'm hoping some future PSP release will fix the long load times, but until then... I'm sticking with my Gameboy Advanced, heh.

Numbers
12-08-2005, 03:08 PM
DS is way more innovative. And way cheaper.

PSP has been getting pretty much nothing but ports. So, a lot of the times, what you can play on the PSP you can also play on a PS2. Sure, the graphics are nice, but the loading times are terrible, and the battery life is worse.

I'd say to go with the DS. It's pretty much its own unique system with its own unique and fun games.

I should add that I don't have either. Nothing on the PSP really piques my interest, except for its sleekness and sexiness. And while there's lots of games on the DS I'd like to try out, I'm not willing to plink the cash down for it. I'm not really into portable gaming, in any case.

[Edited on 12-8-2005 by 3704558]

Wezas
12-08-2005, 03:39 PM
PSP game I added to my wishlist:

Midway Arcade Treasures: Extended Play (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009R1T8Q/ref=wl_it_dp/103-1260328-2360640?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=I2VLW4FTOHJKD&v=gl ance&colid=2BBB6JPKG107T)

720 degrees, Paperboy, Rampage, Marble Madness, Spy Hunter, Joust, Defender, Wireless 4-player "Gauntlet"

21 games, 16 of which have wi-fi multiplayer support.

All the games I had a blast playing when I was growing up.

FUCKING MULTIPLAYER GAUNTLET.

imported_Kranar
12-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Wireless multiplayer Gauntlet sounds amazing.

Wezas
12-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Kranar
Wireless multiplayer Gauntlet sounds amazing.

I can't even fathom how much money I spent as a kid in quarters playing gauntlet.

I'm tempted to buy another copy of the game to carry with me for other people with PSPs.