PDA

View Full Version : Unstopable Thief?

Trinitis
10-12-2003, 01:47 AM
I'm wondring how people feel about this so...I'll lay it down to you.

How would you feel if in the time period that you where getting 6 or 7 boxes picked, You had over 22k with of stuff stolen from you, (AND!)you never saw a thing?

-Adredrin

Edited to add the and.

[Edited on 10-12-2003 by LordAdredrin]

Trinitis
10-12-2003, 01:54 AM
oh, you know, diamonds, emeralds, sapphires, stuff like that.

-Adredrin

Wezas
10-12-2003, 01:55 AM
::was nowhere near you::

'specially if you were in Icemule.

::edited to add proof::

http://members.cox.net/legendwezas/adredrin.jpg
See, no entries! And that's since April!
Unless of course you have a different character name.

[Edited on 10-12-2003 by Wezas]

Trinitis
10-12-2003, 01:56 AM
its hypotheical. I pick my own boxes ;)

-Adredrin. Sorcerer Locksmith

Scott
10-12-2003, 01:56 AM
Script it....

open pouch
Put diamond in pouch
close pouch

Sucks, but it seems like the way to go to save your gems.

Back
10-12-2003, 01:57 AM
Whattaya gonna do?

Trinitis
10-12-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Backlash
Whattaya gonna do?

That was exactly my point. Thankyou :smilegrin:

-Adredrin

Pallon
10-12-2003, 02:38 AM
Open up a void and let God sort it out

Trinitis
10-12-2003, 02:45 AM
oh yes, thats the prefect answer..4 counts of murder, and 1 count of reckless endangerment later...

-Adredrin

Adhara
10-12-2003, 07:39 AM
Couple questions on GS4... can thieves steal from closed containers now? Can they steal from an open container that's within an open container?

To answer the original question, I was a victim in the east tower once. I never knew who it was but I did learn. When I go to the tower, no gems are in open containers and there's no money in my pockets. I take the unlocked boxes and stick them in my containers without opening them. I open the last one or two just to get the coins to tip the picker, limiting how much could be stolen from me by having it very briefly in my possession.

Will all this still keep me fairly safe in GS4?

Artha
10-12-2003, 09:25 AM
can thieves steal from closed containers now?

Don't think so.

Can they steal from an open container that's within an open container?

Don't think so...I'm sure one of us can help you test it in GSIV if you want.

What I do, is simply find a table and have a locksmith come to me. It's usually quicker than waiting in a line, lets me get some banter going, and keeps my pockets nice and safe.

StrayRogue
10-12-2003, 09:26 AM
No to both.

theotherjohn
10-12-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Gemstone101
Script it....

open pouch
Put diamond in pouch
close pouch

Sucks, but it seems like the way to go to save your gems.

that will not work. a good thief can still time it so they get in your container.

now this works

remove pouch
open pouch
Put diamond in pouch
close pouch
wear pouch

Edaarin
10-12-2003, 10:12 AM
Don't worry Adhara, my rogue will go back to being the way he was when you met him. Only now he'll suck at combat.

Quick question: what do you all think? Being able to get -930 lock, -372 trap and no tertiaries? Or being able to get a -755 lock, -306 trap, and freeing up 480/480 TP's. I wish I knew how hard boxes were going to be...

StrayRogue
10-12-2003, 10:13 AM
We'll never see a 900+ box again I reckon. So go for the second.

Adhara
10-12-2003, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the answers. By the way, I'm always frustrated on test for lack of people to test stuff with. So if you see me and want to test anything, feel free to send me a thought. (Pickpocket or anything else)

Soulpieced
10-12-2003, 11:40 AM
We'll never see a 900+ box again I reckon. So go for the second.

As of yesterday, OTF was still spitting out -1000+ locks.

StrayRogue
10-12-2003, 11:47 AM
The treasure system has yet to be updated. Unless they want massive box disparity (ie, the boxes grow in difficulty by +100 per ten levels, something no locksmith can match) they will have to change.

Trinitis
10-12-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Adhara
Couple questions on GS4... can thieves steal from closed containers now? Can they steal from an open container that's within an open container?

To answer the original question, I was a victim in the east tower once. I never knew who it was but I did learn. When I go to the tower, no gems are in open containers and there's no money in my pockets. I take the unlocked boxes and stick them in my containers without opening them. I open the last one or two just to get the coins to tip the picker, limiting how much could be stolen from me by having it very briefly in my possession.

Keep you safe from most theives? Yes. Keep you safe from my theif? Not a chance. :)

-Adredrin

StrayRogue
10-12-2003, 01:19 PM
Ok Ad, how much for this big secret *groans*

Trinitis
10-12-2003, 01:20 PM
::chuckle:: Sorry, this one is mine and mine alone. :)

-Adredrin

I guess you could always try to figure out who my theif is, and watch him work, but then again, you won't see anything anyways.

Adhara
10-12-2003, 01:49 PM
Trick or no, you can't steal what's not there!

Pssssst, Stay, what's the trick anyway?

*whistle*

Dighn Darkbeam
10-12-2003, 02:23 PM
If you really wish to be free of thieves in any situation have the locksmith pick each box and keep it closed, putting it back in a container without opening. For a tip go get a note from a bank and give it to them. Its a pain but no way to be stolen from.

In GS4 I guess you can steal notes (?). If so keep the note in a closed container. Problem solved.

Kris na Su'ta

[Edited on 10-12-2003 by Dighn Darkbeam]

Trinitis
10-12-2003, 02:38 PM
Trick or no, you can't steal what's not there!

Pssssst, Stay, what's the trick anyway?

*whistle*

Maybe not, but I can sure steal what IS there..and whats better, you don't know you have it. So you won't miss it :)

-Adredrin

draconis nematoda
10-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by LordAdredrin

You're not much of sorcerer if someone can pick a rock from you and you don't see it happen. :rolleyes:

Des, Enervator

Trinitis
10-12-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Dighn Darkbeam
If you really wish to be free of thieves in any situation have the locksmith pick each box and keep it closed, putting it back in a container without opening. For a tip go get a note from a bank and give it to them. Its a pain but no way to be stolen from.

In GS4 I guess you can steal notes (?). If so keep the note in a closed container. Problem solved.

Kris na Su'ta

That still does not prevent my theif from stealing from you.

-Adredrin

Trinitis
10-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by draconis nematoda

You're not much of sorcerer if someone can pick a rock from you and you don't see it happen. :rolleyes:

Des, Enervator

Like I said..Its not something that really happened, I'm just doing some "case study" for my rogue :)

-Adredrin

Trinitis
10-13-2003, 01:59 AM
Figure it out Stray? I've given SO many hints!

-Adredrin

StrayRogue
10-13-2003, 06:13 AM
Damnit! Nooooooooo!

Parkbandit
10-13-2003, 09:03 AM
So this really didn't happen to you or it did? If you are a sorcerer and go the the east tower to pick your own boxes.. sorry, you're simply asking to be stolen from.

And as someone mentioned.. the script won't work all the time. I can time it so that I take a dip... especially if I see a nice sparkling diamond or emerald. :smug:

Parkbandit
10-13-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by draconis nematoda

Des, Enervator

Sorcerers are known for their complete and utter blindness.

The only thing they have going for them is the changes to curse. I tend to stay away from very elderly sorcerers... unless they show great ignorance that cannot be ignored.

Trinitis
10-13-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
So this really didn't happen to you or it did? If you are a sorcerer and go the the east tower to pick your own boxes.. sorry, you're simply asking to be stolen from.

And as someone mentioned.. the script won't work all the time. I can time it so that I take a dip... especially if I see a nice sparkling diamond or emerald. :smug:

It did NOT happen to me..its what I will be doing to other people soon as my rogue is older :)

-Adredrin

Keep wracking that brain Stray! You will get it! :D

Red Devil
10-13-2003, 12:48 PM

Keep you safe from most theives? Yes. Keep you safe from my theif? Not a chance. :)

-Adredrin

Yeah, you're such an awesome thief, you can't even spell thief right, n00b

Trinitis
10-13-2003, 12:49 PM
I had a typo, why don't you quit trolling and act like a real human? Oh ya, I forgot..your not human..sorry.

-Adredrin

[Edited on 10-13-2003 by LordAdredrin]

Parkbandit
10-13-2003, 02:00 PM
So, do I know your thief Adredrin?

I'm curious too dammit!

Trinitis
10-13-2003, 04:01 PM
nope, only person I know of who has figured out who my thief is Tayre. And He cheats.

-Adredrin

Reyek
10-13-2003, 04:05 PM
i know who it is its candor!:D

Trinitis
10-13-2003, 04:05 PM
heh no, I kill candor, I can't kill my thief, he is on the same account as Adredrin ;)

-Adredrin

Parkbandit
10-13-2003, 04:30 PM
nope, only person I know of who has figured out who my thief is Tayre. And He cheats.

-Adredrin

Shouldn't be too difficult to get that information from him. I'll trade him a clue or two for it. :roll:

GS4Gurl
10-13-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Dighn Darkbeam

Kris na Su'ta

Oooh stealing notes? My new little Rogue likes this idea! Is it true?

Wezas
10-14-2003, 12:26 AM
Normally I stay away from people with more then 10x my fame, but I made an exception.
http://members.cox.net/legendwezas/adredrin2.jpg

It was just tooooo tempting.

Trinitis
10-14-2003, 02:11 AM
Heh, when did you do that?

and where did you get that program, I'm interested.

-Adredrin

[Edited on 10-14-2003 by LordAdredrin]

Wezas
10-14-2003, 02:28 AM
Heh, when did you do that?
and where did you get that program, I'm interested.
-Adredrin

When you were wandering around the bank. And I'm still working on the program, it's more of a prototype now.

Trinitis
10-14-2003, 02:36 AM
if ya want some testers, let me know :P

-Adredrin

Wezas
10-14-2003, 02:41 AM
Right now it's still in MS Access. Once I port it over to Visual Basic I'll be sure to have you test.

Edited to add image

http://members.cox.net/legendwezas/PPLog2.jpg

Process Files - Import & Extract theiving data from log files
List Unknown Gems - lists unknown gems to allow you to update values.
Find Best Mark - Report listing the people with the biggest pockets
Find Specific Mark - Drop down or type in the name of a character - get a summary or detailed info on your thievings from them.
Display Summary Info - Summary that is used for instant info for files - I use it in my AIM Profile to show progress. Summarizes:
Botch %
Average Silvers per Grab
Total Silvers Pocketed
Total Silvers Pocketed (incl gems)
Detailed Nice Gem Breakdown

Preview Report - Similar to Summary - just in a format easily put onto a webpage/printed out.

[Edited on 10-14-2003 by Wezas]

Drew2
10-14-2003, 02:55 AM
I didn't cheat. Adredrin told me to rescue his thief after he died one day. He told me who it was, basically.

He told me many things, actually. :D

Red Devil
10-14-2003, 03:53 AM
I had a typo, why don't you quit trolling and act like a real human? Oh ya, I forgot..your not human..sorry.

-Adredrin

[Edited on 10-13-2003 by LordAdredrin]

you had a typo? you did it like 3-4 times.

Parkbandit
10-14-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Wezas
Right now it's still in MS Access. Once I port it over to Visual Basic I'll be sure to have you test.

Edited to add image

http://members.cox.net/legendwezas/PPLog2.jpg

Process Files - Import & Extract theiving data from log files
List Unknown Gems - lists unknown gems to allow you to update values.
Find Best Mark - Report listing the people with the biggest pockets
Find Specific Mark - Drop down or type in the name of a character - get a summary or detailed info on your thievings from them.
Display Summary Info - Summary that is used for instant info for files - I use it in my AIM Profile to show progress. Summarizes:
Botch %
Average Silvers per Grab
Total Silvers Pocketed
Total Silvers Pocketed (incl gems)
Detailed Nice Gem Breakdown

Preview Report - Similar to Summary - just in a format easily put onto a webpage/printed out.

[Edited on 10-14-2003 by Wezas]
Once it's done and debugged... let me know if you need testers. I have about 2 or 3 years worth of logs.. most of them with Falgrin collecting.

Wezas
10-14-2003, 10:56 AM
Once it's done and debugged... let me know if you need testers. I have about 2 or 3 years worth of logs.. most of them with Falgrin collecting.

Unfortunately Access can only handle about a months or two's worth of log at a time (~100mb) before it starts to slow down. I'm hoping VB will eliminate that problem. Currently I have a small process that pulls all the pickpocketing related lines and puts them into a small file that you can name (the Export Button), I do that once a month and just keep a running Summary folder with all the months.

Dighn Darkbeam
10-14-2003, 11:18 AM
I also hear phase works on other peoples disks. If that is true im still good as I never use disks.

You cant steal from a closed container when its in someone elses possession, correct? You also cant take silver that is not there. The method is foolproof unless the locksmith himself steals from your box in stealth.

Parkbandit
10-14-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Wezas
[quote

Unfortunately Access can only handle about a months or two's worth of log at a time (~100mb) before it starts to slow down. I'm hoping VB will eliminate that problem. Currently I have a small process that pulls all the pickpocketing related lines and puts them into a small file that you can name (the Export Button), I do that once a month and just keep a running Summary folder with all the months.

Well fix it! I would LOVE to have "Falgrin's Top 10 hit list"... and would be ever so curious about who I've made the most from and my total take in a 2 year period.

Does it also calculate gems worth? 2 good gems can make more than an hours worth of collecting silvers.

Wezas
10-14-2003, 02:30 PM
Does it also calculate gems worth? 2 good gems can make more than an hours worth of collecting silvers.

Yep.
There's a table that keeps the value of gems that you enter values for. If the program encounters a new gem, you'll get the following screen where you can update values:
http://members.cox.net/legendwezas/pplog-gems.jpg

A program written by someone named Calael did something like I was doing, but only had a few gem values in it, so I wanted a way of tracking all gems.

The summary looks like this when gems are included (what you would paste into an E-mail or AIM profile):
http://members.cox.net/legendwezas/pplog-sum.jpg

And the detail screen shows you what you stole and the value of the gems, any gems that do not have a value in the table will be considered worth 50 silvers.
http://members.cox.net/legendwezas/pplog-detail.jpg

I hope The Edine doesn't mind that the character name just reads "Edine"

StrayRogue
10-14-2003, 02:37 PM
Wow, that looks like a great piece of kit. Get it up on the web quick!

AnticorRifling
10-14-2003, 02:41 PM
Can you open and close a box with gambits? If so that would make for a great way to tip yourself as a locksmith. I've still got a few lvls before I can master gambits so I've stayed out of the guild(When I do guild work I commit and everything else goes back burner so I want to be able to master when I start back into it)

StrayRogue
10-14-2003, 02:45 PM
Gambits are as follows in regards to verbs.

1 TUMBLE
2 TUMBLE [left, right, forward, backward]
3 TUMBLE multiple
4 CARTWHEEL
5 CARTWHEEL [left, right, forward, backward]
6 CARTWHEEL multiple
7 FLIP
8 FLIP [left, right, forward, backward]
9 FLIP multiple
10 DAGGER balance
11 DAGGER toss
12 DAGGER game
13 DISPLAY hands
14 DISPLAY ear
15 DISPLAY pocket
16 DISPLAY person
17 GET hands
18 GET mouth
19 GET air
20 GET silent
21 VANISH hands
22 VANISH mouth
23 VANISH air
24 VANISH silent
25 STEALTH sit
26 STEALTH kneel
27 STEALTH stand
28 STEALTH get
29 STEALTH put

So no, I don't think you can.

However, if you are really smart, you could have pre-prepared boxes, like a badly damaged strongbox, in your cloak with a crappy gem in it, that you can take out and give to the customer.

[Edited on 14-10-03 by StrayRogue]

[Edited on 14-10-03 by StrayRogue]

AnticorRifling
10-14-2003, 03:14 PM
So you can't open and close a container silently?

Dighn Darkbeam
10-14-2003, 03:16 PM
Man StrayRogue, that would take a lot of work and is very risky. Would need to put coins, gems, and possibly fluff into a box and lug it around with you until you find someone that gives you a matching box. Not to mention master whatever guild skill that allows this.

StrayRogue
10-14-2003, 03:24 PM
Risky perhaps, but "he who dares wins".

Trinitis
10-14-2003, 03:35 PM
Actually, that would not work, see you can only rgambit get and vanish stuff 2lbs or under. So, the boxes would be too heavy.

-Adredrin

Carl Spackler
10-14-2003, 08:39 PM
Heres the big trick to stealing lots!... be better than everynoe else! I let the secret out... hahah!