PDA

View Full Version : No Simucon for 2006

Makkah
12-06-2005, 04:45 PM
And on the eleventh year...

Simutronics rested.

As much as I hate to be the bearer bad news, I'm here to announce that this year we've decided to take a break from SimuCon.

Many folks have noticed that in recent years we've started the planning and organizational process later and later and this year it's become clear to us that we need to take a brief respite and regroup. Our hectic schedules this year simply will not allow us to take on this formidable task and keep what's left of what little sanity we had to begin with. Therefore, we made the tough decision that we need the time to plan a better SimuCon experience and with help and feedback from you all, whether you're telling us what you liked about every one of the 10 Cons you've been to or what was missing from any of them that kept you away, we hope to make 2007 our best SimuCon ever.

We do hope you understand and we hope to see you in 2007.

Regards,

Bubba, Melissa, & Tamma
The SimuCon Coordinators
>>

Not that I care because I'd never attend one, but it DOES make you wonder.

12-06-2005, 04:46 PM
I wonder if this has anything to do with all the people that were crashing it.

- Arkans

Makkah
12-06-2005, 04:48 PM
<<I wonder if this has anything to do with all the people that were crashing it.

- Arkans >>

I would assume so, as that is what made it such a money drain...

Asha
12-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Hahaha.
Good.

Skeeter
12-06-2005, 04:54 PM
another step in the decline and eventual bankruptcy of Simu.

Czeska
12-06-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm guessing they're just sick of breaking even/losing money from the Con. We'll see what, if anything, is planned for a year from now.

12-06-2005, 05:00 PM
I'm not going to be the asshole that is like..

HAHAHA SIMU IZ GOING BANKRUPT!111

But, I do think, Simu made a poor choice in focusing on getting new players rather than catering to existing loyal customers. Either way, we don't know the finacial information, but I'm guessing the crashers made a huge impact on Simu. Afterall, if it was profitable, there would be no way in hell there would be a break.

- Arkans

Bobmuhthol
12-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Simutronics would probably be a lot better off if they just went public.

12-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Maybe.

I don't see a lot of investors going for a company that is using ancient technology to run a video game. Too small of a niche.

- Arkans

Bobmuhthol
12-06-2005, 05:04 PM
It certainly would have been more effective ten years ago, but it wouldn't hurt now.

12-06-2005, 05:07 PM
All too true. Also, who knows, maybe Hero's Journey would catch investors' eyes.

- Arkans

Latrinsorm
12-06-2005, 05:15 PM
I feel very comfortable perceiving this as a direct, intentional slight against me. Two :fu:s for Simu.

Sean of the Thread
12-06-2005, 05:41 PM
ROFL..

Well a couple gemmers are not getting laid this year for sure now.

The Ponzzz
12-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Damn, And I wanted a free gift and event preview, mother fuckers!

Jolena
12-06-2005, 05:53 PM
My guestimate would be that it has nothing to do with Simu as a corporation going broke or whatnot. But that it is more what any business would do when they are consistently losing more and more money on a certain product, ie. Simucon. They stop producing it, review it and try to fix it, and if not, then they don't sell it anymore.

The latest trend of players holding their own con gathers has given the players a cheaper, more interesting and more versatile way to meet with each other and I would not be surprised if that is partially why so many more people crash Simucon than before. Simutronics has to take a step back, evaluate why people are still crashing in increasingly large numbers each year rather than paying to attend the seminars, and decide how to fix that. My money is on them not holding it anymore, however they might surprise me.

[Edited on 12-6-2005 by Jolena]

Satira
12-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Someone is going to do an unofficial simucon this year. Most likely it'll be just as much fun and a whole hell of a lot cheaper.

I'm in!

SpunGirl
12-06-2005, 06:09 PM
I'm in, too.

As I've posted on the mains, Simucon was WAY too expensive for most people. The ticket price was $200+, depening on what time of year your registered and if you're premium or not. Add to that $100/night hotel rooms (not bad when shared among six people, haha) and pricey plane tix, someone can easily spend $1000 for one weekend.

If Solomon says they're taking time to regroup, re-plan, and reconsider, then I trust him. Sometimes I think his decisions are retarded but he's a straight shooter, IMO. I'm sure people (including myself) crashing the 'con last year wasn't helpful... but if I could not have crashed, I would not have gone at all... yeilding pretty much the same result, no $$ for Simu.

I guess we'll see what happens in '07. Until then, come to Vegascon!

-K

Ylena
12-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Player gathers outside Simucon are hardly a new phenomenon. They've been going on since I started playing in 95. Granted, Simucon was the biggest one.

One thing I'm curious about, though.. since last year, Simucon was the only "official" face time for Melissa/Bubba/office folk, have they committed to coming to VegasCon in '06?

Ilvane
12-06-2005, 06:44 PM
That settles it, I'm coming to Vegas.;)

-A

Trinitis
12-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by SpunGirl
I'm in, too.

As I've posted on the mains, Simucon was WAY too expensive for most people. The ticket price was $200+, depening on what time of year your registered and if you're premium or not. Add to that $100/night hotel rooms (not bad when shared among six people, haha) and pricey plane tix, someone can easily spend $1000 for one weekend.

If Solomon says they're taking time to regroup, re-plan, and reconsider, then I trust him. Sometimes I think his decisions are retarded but he's a straight shooter, IMO. I'm sure people (including myself) crashing the 'con last year wasn't helpful... but if I could not have crashed, I would not have gone at all... yeilding pretty much the same result, no $$ for Simu.

I guess we'll see what happens in '07. Until then, come to Vegascon!

-K

Haha! Spun killed Simucon! MURDERER! RUTHLESS KILLER!

:D

Atlanteax
12-06-2005, 07:29 PM
All they need to do is to freaking slash the price down to like $50 and get rid of all the unnecessary "activities" particularly the formal dinner (an annual yawner).

They'll probably at least double the official signups, and cut down their own costs of sponsoring.

Shonison
12-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Agreed, Atlanteax. Had the price been $50, I wouldn't have been a crasher last year. All I go for is drinking and friends. I don't want any of that seminar crap. Hence why I am signed up for Vegascon.

Asha
12-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Should also involve free overseas flights.
But no . .

Jazuela
12-06-2005, 07:53 PM
I went to 2 Simucons; 1998 and 1999. During the second, on the tour of the headquarters, they made a huge deal about Hero's Journey and how they're working like gangbusters on it. The previous year they proclaimed it would be ready to roll out during the year 2000.

My guess: If they had a Simucon this year, they'd make a huge deal about Hero's Journey and how they're working like gangbusters on it. And they'd proclaim it would be ready to roll out during the year 2007.

My conclusion: Most of the people who -would- go to Simucon, aren't going, because it's same shit different day at Simu Headquarters. Oh yeah we got 20 new verbs! We have new player housing! We have lots of pretty shiny things! What's that you say? Something that's been broken for the past 10 years is still broken? Well, it'll be fixed real soon now, but in the meantime, play with those pretty new shiny things we made just for you!

I think people are just kinda tired of hearing that, and paying extra for the privilege at some overpriced hotel.

mgoddess
12-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Damn them! First year I'd actually be able to drive to and attend SimuCon, and they go and cancel! Bah!

Satira
12-06-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm positive there will be an unofficial simucon and it will be BETTER considering it'll cost less than the official one does.

So don't give up hope yet.

For now, GO TO VEGASCON!!

Ebondale
12-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Simu is going bankrupt because their fucking retarded asses don't get the fact that its really god damn difficult to charge somebody 15-40$ for a TEXT BASED game that exists on ONE server and time and time again the same god damn people get alters because they swing from the GMs nuts like fucking Tarzan.

Fuck Simutronics. I hope their building catches on fire and explodes.

That being said - World of Warcraft is a perfectly acceptable game that caters to the needs of all gamers and guess what? Its fucking THRIVING! RAKING in cash month after month and people are still signing up.

You mean I can pay less than it costs to play Gemstone to have like eight character slots on like a hundred servers and it wont cost me anything extra?

Yeah. Simutronics is a joke and I won't lose a moment of sleep over the loss of a SimuCon.

:moon2:

Shari
12-06-2005, 09:23 PM
As soon as WoW allows for more heavily customizable "cosmetic" additions to the game will I entirely quit GS.

I like being able to be specific on how my character looks, that they have tattoos, and wear unique items of clothing/weapons.

I know that would take a HUGE amount of needless work on WoW's behalf, but it would definitely pull me over to the "dark side" for good.

Ebondale
12-06-2005, 09:33 PM
When you think about it though Gemstone isn't even all that customizable. Sure you can find items that every else has and wear a black leather sheath or shadowy black weapons harness to be different (just like everyone else). To get really customizable you have to get your items altered, lightened, enchanted, etc. Getting a character fully modified takes years and years if you're lucky. Some people have been playing Gemstone for years and have never been fortunate enough to get a single alteration even with a Premium account. (Such as myself).

Its really quite sad that I used to have tons of word documents just sitting around in the off chance that I might get an alteration that I would already know what I wanted the descriptions to be.

As much GM-player-involvement Simutronics boasts to have and as busy they claim to be I know I'm not the only one who has reported something that the GMs should have taken care of before only to get a "Use Assist" response.

The reason that making WoW so customizable would be difficult is simply due to the fact that they have to create models and skins for those armor pieces.

Have you ever tried the expansions of Neverwinter Nights? Your character in Neverwinter Nights could have armorsmithing skill that would allow them to customize every bit of their armor to their taste. THAT was really a cool feature and I would like to see it in more games. Too bad it wasn't an MMO, though.

Jolena
12-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Heh, speaking as one who gets tons and tons of alters time and time again, I can safely say that I don't 'swing from the GM's nuts like Tarzan." Aside from that, carry on. :D

Ebondale
12-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Jolena
Heh, speaking as one who gets tons and tons of alters time and time again, I can safely say that I don't 'swing from the GM's nuts like Tarzan." Aside from that, carry on. :D

Well, my point is simply that it seems like the same people always get alterations and everyone else does not. ;)

Makkah
12-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Sounds like someone is swinging on WoW's nuts like Tarzan...

Ebondale
12-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Makkah
Sounds like someone is swinging on WoW's nuts like Tarzan...

Only because it is better than Gemstone in every way shape and form. :)

WoW also has bigger nuts than Gemstone does. (I even hear that WoW actually has THREE nuts instead of two.)

Kainen
12-06-2005, 10:11 PM
I am not a merchant chaser, yet I have more than a few alters. It's called paying attention to the calender that Simu puts out for that sort of stuff. Having said that, while GS isnt perfect.. if I wanted to play a graphics based game online, I'd go play Diablo for free.

[Edited on 12-7-2005 by Kainen]

Ebondale
12-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Nah, everyone in closed Battle Net uses maphacks and tries to P.K. whenever possible. I assume since all of you have at one point played Gemstone, that you crave roleplaying... you won't find such roleplaying in Diablo. :)

Kainen
12-06-2005, 10:19 PM
I like roleplaying.. not graphics. That's why I play GS.

Ebondale
12-06-2005, 10:28 PM
You can have both, you know. ;)

Numbers
12-06-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Ebondale
That being said - World of Warcraft is a perfectly acceptable game that caters to the needs of all gamers and guess what? Its fucking THRIVING! RAKING in cash month after month and people are still signing up.

False.

WoW levels 1-59 is an excellent game. Superb, in fact.

Once you hit level 60, the game goes down the shitter in a hurry. Forced repetition of the same content in order to advance, and a really shitty community.

In short, if your real life schedule is unpredictable in any way, shape, or form, to the point that you simply can't make a weekly guild raid in WoW, there's really no game left once you hit 60.

I'm not saying GemStone is any better, mind you. However, it used to be tolerable. Ever since Warden reamed GS with a 10 foot plunger, the game lost a good portion of its fun factor.

Bobmuhthol
12-06-2005, 10:30 PM
<<You can have both, you know.>>

Not in WoW. Ever. Please do not attempt to argue that there is RP on the RP servers.

Ebondale
12-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
<<You can have both, you know.>>

Not in WoW. Ever. Please do not attempt to argue that there is RP on the RP servers.

I've never experienced RP in an online game on the same level that GS has but finding the right guild on an RP server can get you some pretty good RP.

Don't worry, Bob. I'll give credit where credit is due. Gemstone is the shit for RP. Gemstone is shit for customer service and game development. :)

Ebondale
12-06-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by 3704558

False.

WoW levels 1-59 is an excellent game. Superb, in fact.

Once you hit level 60, the game goes down the shitter in a hurry. Forced repetition of the same content in order to advance, and a really shitty community.

In short, if your real life schedule is unpredictable in any way, shape, or form, to the point that you simply can't make a weekly guild raid in WoW, there's really no game left once you hit 60.

I'm not saying GemStone is any better, mind you. However, it used to be tolerable. Ever since Warden reamed GS with a 10 foot plunger, the game lost a good portion of its fun factor.

Its the same in any MMORPG.

I had four level 70 characters in EverQuest that had absolutely godly equipment. Do you think that I had any social life at all? Of course I didn't. I was raiding the same crap time after time after time.

EverQuest is a million times worse that WarCraft is in that department. Having played EQ's endgame I really can't bitch about how easy WoW is. :)

The Ponzzz
12-06-2005, 10:59 PM
GS keeps me out of jail

Ebondale
12-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by The Ponzzz
GS keeps me out of jail

Well, we all have our priorities. ^_^

Numbers
12-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Its the same in any MMORPG.

Correct.

But other MMO's don't tout themselves out to casual gamers and promise casual content that's different from any other MMO's out there. That's what WoW DID promise, and for levels 1-59 they delivered (mostly). At level 60, that promise is broken, and WoW becomes just another MMORPG with nothing at all special or spectacular about it.

But, in any case, that's off topic.

In regards to Simu going public, chances are if they did, they would get bought out almost immediately.

But, on the other hand, Whatley and other management would get pushed out, which certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.

[Edited on 12-7-2005 by 3704558]

SpunGirl
12-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Some people have been playing Gemstone for years and have never been fortunate enough to get a single alteration even with a Premium account. (Such as myself).

The whole "boohoo I've never had an alteration" thing is so tired. You're premium, use your fucking points. The end.

-K

[Edited on 12-7-2005 by SpunGirl]

Ebondale
12-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Boo hoo, its still a fact and Simutronics still rapes people for 70$ just to go to a fucking merchant. 70$ for some goddamn lines of text is absurd.

You can get like a thousand gold in WoW for 70$ and thats a lot of money. More than enough to max out all your trade skills, buy equipment, buy a horse, and more.

SpunGirl
12-06-2005, 11:27 PM
You're so missing the point. Either you're too retarded to figure out how to use premium points, or you're lying. If you wanted an alteration, you could have one by tomorrow with the premium system... and depending on how long you've been premium, you could have had one long BEFORE this (like when the old scrolls still worked). Durf!

-K

Ebondale
12-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Its funny how quick you are to codescend to me.

I spent years and years without a premium account playing my... older character. When I decided to return to the lands and create "Ebondale" I upgraded the account to Premium for two months before I could no longer stomach Simutronics any longer and quit again.

Open your eyes. I'd like to think you are smarter than this.

Kainen
12-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Boo hoo, its still a fact and Simutronics still rapes people for 70$ just to go to a fucking merchant. 70$ for some goddamn lines of text is absurd.

The ONLY pay event I have EVER attended was EG 2004 and I got one alter there. You don't have to attend pay events to get alters. If you are too lazy to read the Calender of Events on the play.net site and get your ass to the merchants they advertise then that is YOUR fault.

SpunGirl
12-06-2005, 11:39 PM
So you spent two months before you got sick of it? Fine. If you were that easily frustrated with the state of things in GS, I have to wonder why an alteration (or some 'goddamn lines of text' as you put it) was important enough to bitch about not getting in the first place.

Also, in what universe does GS cost $70 for all merchants? AF was like $50, EG used to be around $35... and I have a bajillion alterations because I PAY ATTENTION TO THE CALENDAR OMFG GOOT IDEA 4 ME.

-K

Ebondale
12-06-2005, 11:41 PM
I'm not talking about paying to get to an alteration, I'm talking about paying to get to a merchant event.

You know. The ones they sell tickets to get to.

SpunGirl
12-06-2005, 11:43 PM
....and merchant events often involve lots of alterations, which is the first thing you bitched about NOT having.

-K

Marl
12-06-2005, 11:46 PM
it doesnt take $$$$$$ to get work done in gs all it takes is hours on end of waiting. Although I did get 15+ things worked on at last years EG. All together I have gotten 8/10ths of my work from randomly finding merchants roaming around. As for WoW.......It is a Blizzard game. Nuff said.

Ebondale
12-06-2005, 11:46 PM
So you spent two months before you got sick of it? Fine. If you were that easily frustrated with the state of things in GS, I have to wonder why an alteration (or some 'goddamn lines of text' as you put it) was important enough to bitch about not getting in the first place.

Also, in what universe does GS cost $70 for all merchants? AF was like $50, EG used to be around $35... and I have a bajillion alterations because I PAY ATTENTION TO THE CALENDAR OMFG GOOT IDEA 4 ME.

-K

OMFG a winner is you!

I played GS for 7ish years give or take before taking a break for a few years during the glory days of EverQuest.

Flock to defend your floundering game, everybody. I'm just sitting back and laughing as you guys scream things like, "OMG u dunt reed teh kalendar!!1 ur teh nub!1"

I found more joyful entertainment in two hours of WarCraft than I found in over seven years of Gemstone.

Keep defending Gemstone, though.

Its cute. :P

SpunGirl
12-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Yes, thank you for proving my point. You cry about not having something you want, then completely ignore it when you are told how ridiculously easy it actually is.

I don't feel any personal need to "defend" GS, but I do enjoy calling people like you out on blatant stupidity.

-K

Kainen
12-06-2005, 11:49 PM

Flock to defend your floundering game, everybody. I'm just sitting back and laughing as you guys scream things like, "OMG u dunt reed teh kalendar!!1 ur teh nub!1"

I found more joyful entertainment in two hours of WarCraft than I found in over seven years of Gemstone.

I am glad you found something to make you happy. Just remember that just because Gemstone wasn't it for you.. doesn't mean it's not what makes others happy.

Ebondale
12-06-2005, 11:50 PM
I may be blatantly stupid but you are still paying money to play a text game.

Welcome to the year 2005.

SpunGirl
12-06-2005, 11:50 PM

I'll spend my excellent salary any way I see fit, thx :cheers: In the above scenario I would much rather be me.

-K

Scott
12-06-2005, 11:51 PM

So spending money on something that someone enjoys is stupid?

Ebondale
12-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Kainen

I am glad you found something to make you happy. Just remember that just because Gemstone wasn't it for you.. doesn't mean it's not what makes others happy.

It was for me for a long time and I love Gemstone a lot but Simutronics just hasn't evolved enough with the years. As I told Bob earlier, I don't think there will ever be another ROLEPLAYING game like Gemstone.

Ebondale
12-06-2005, 11:53 PM

I'll spend my excellent salary any way I see fit, thx :cheers:

-K

Touche. :) To each their own.

Marl
I am very anxious to see how WoW "evolves" myself. I am guessing Diablo 1 ;)

Ebondale
Originally posted by Scott

So spending money on something that someone enjoys is stupid?

40$ a month for a failing text game is excessive.

Kainen
12-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Marluxian

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

SpunGirl
12-06-2005, 11:56 PM
$40 for something I like is not excessive in my world. THe excessiveness of expenditures is SO relative. Please to not presume to tell others what is and is not a good amount to spend on a hobby, thx.

-K

Satira
12-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Some people ENJOY the text aspect of the game. Personally, it lets me use my imagination and I enjoy the writing and designing.

Also WTF DOES THIS WHINING HAVE TO DO WITH SIMUCON? Go make your own thread.
:offtopic:

Ebondale
12-06-2005, 11:57 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Well we'll see how Blizzard treats a cash cow rather than a free online game. Can't knock StarCraft, though. :)

Anyway. Historically, like Simutronics, Blizzard has been slow to come out with releases. Blizzard does make sure that their products are perfect when they are released, though. I don't mind waiting a little bit of time for something nice when its Blizzard working on it.

Marl
12-07-2005, 12:00 AM
I do give Blizz credit on a job well done......SO FAR.......we can only hope they keep it up. Which they haven't done with their other games. Subscription fees are a good incentive though. I still picture night elves with bazookas and dwarves driving Halo tanks in the future though.....

Ebondale
12-07-2005, 12:00 AM
$40 for something I like is not excessive in my world. THe excessiveness of expenditures is SO relative. Please to not presume to tell others what is and is not a good amount to spend on a hobby, thx.

-K

Summary: Blah

Anyway - Anything further you have to say I can pretty much write off as mindless rudeness.

I don't know why you let things get to you the way you do. Opinions are opinions. :) Its funny that you sig'd me, though. You must be really pissed off over this. :lol:

SpunGirl
12-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Actually I find it slightly hilarious how peeved you are over x years of playing and NO ALTERATION.

You're the one who wanted to tell people how they should be spending their money, not me. And I'm rude?

Sorry, Satira. I'll make sure to use a u2u next week when I ask Ebondale if it's OK before I drop my usual $60 or so at Barnes and Noble.

-K

Edited to add: I like signatures to be funny, and I always find it funny when someone calls themselves stupid.

Marl
12-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Sorry, Satira. I'll make sure to use a u2u next week when I ask Ebondale if it's OK before I drop my usual $60 or so at Barnes and Noble next week.

-K

Ask about that pesky cable bill too, and also about the $$$ ya spend on weekend outings :P

Ebondale
12-07-2005, 12:06 AM
I do give Blizz credit on a job well done......SO FAR.......we can only hope they keep it up. Which they haven't done with their other games. Subscription fees are a good incentive though. I still picture night elves with bazookas and dwarves driving Halo tanks in the future though.....

I hope not. I can see the Orc [Ring of Power] and the F/A-22 flying epic mount.

---

What this has to do with SimuCon is that Simutronics has finding it harder and harder to fund GS and GS-related things.

I don't know if you guys have noticed but there is about 1/3 of the in-game peak hour population that there was about five years ago.

Ebondale
12-07-2005, 12:08 AM
Sorry, Satira. I'll make sure to use a u2u next week when I ask Ebondale if it's OK before I drop my usual $60 or so at Barnes and Noble.

You have my permission and my blessing. ;)

:lol:

Yeah, I guess I did come off a little hot-headed earlier in this discussion. Didn't mean to offend anyone but I'm a little worked up over watching my wife stab herself with a pen a few hours ago. Hopefully people will take things I say today with a grain of salt.

Marl
12-07-2005, 12:08 AM
it has been 800-1200 peak for a long time now

Marl
12-07-2005, 12:09 AM
ACK double posting fool here:?::?:

[Edited on 12-7-2005 by Marluxian]

Ebondale
12-07-2005, 12:12 AM
it has been 800-1200 peak for a long time now

Used to be well over 2000 prime time.

Numbers
12-07-2005, 12:40 AM

Used to be well over 2000 prime time.

Only in the AOL + Prodigy unlimited days, when it was essentially free to play.

Before AOL went unlimited, with Prodigy following suit, peak was generally around 300 to 500.

And before it was even on AOL, and only on GEnie, and you had to pay some ungodly fee per hour, the peak was even lower.

GS and Simu may not be growing, but it's certainly hanging in there. I don't know how long they can keep it up, though, especially with the management (or lack thereof) they currently have.

Ebondale
12-07-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm surprised they've survived as long as they have, actually. I think there may be more MA'ers than there used to be.

Just a theory. :)

crazymage
12-07-2005, 01:48 AM
darn i was gonna go this year!

Satira
12-07-2005, 02:15 AM
Come to the unofficial simucon!

Drew
12-07-2005, 02:33 AM

I interacted with Ebondale several times, and to be honest you couldn't roleplay your way out of a paper bag. I'm rather happy when players like you discover WoW or Everquest and grow to hate Gemstone because it means you aren't there to ruin the fun for people who don't see the flaw in paying money for a text game. Personally, you'd have to do awful things to me to get me to play WoW for extended periods of time. I have an xbox and a PS2 and every other video game system practically, and they are great for what they are, and Gemstone is great for what it is. Go enjoy what you like, leave us to what we like.

Sean of the Thread
12-07-2005, 02:39 AM
Dude I didn't know batman was a derka jihaad suicide bomber.

Drew
12-07-2005, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Xyelin
Dude I didn't know batman was a derka jihaad suicide bomber.

derka derka muhammed jihad derka

Ebondale
12-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Drew

I interacted with Ebondale several times, and to be honest you couldn't roleplay your way out of a paper bag. I'm rather happy when players like you discover WoW or Everquest and grow to hate Gemstone because it means you aren't there to ruin the fun for people who don't see the flaw in paying money for a text game. Personally, you'd have to do awful things to me to get me to play WoW for extended periods of time. I have an xbox and a PS2 and every other video game system practically, and they are great for what they are, and Gemstone is great for what it is. Go enjoy what you like, leave us to what we like.

Unlikely that you ever interacted with me in that case, I was pretty reclusive for in-character reasons and received two RP bonuses in the SHORT time that I was playing again.

Aside from being a liar and yes, I am calling you a liar, you have failed to read the posts in which I flat out said that I don't think there will ever be a roleplaying game quite like Gemstone. Unfortunately for Gemstone what makes Gemstone so great is its players and not the company that operates it.

Drew
12-07-2005, 03:17 AM

Aside from being a liar and yes, I am calling you a liar

I just looked through some logs to make sure I was remembering correctly. Check your logs for 6-23-05 (Icemule), 6-24-05 (Icemule) and 6-05-05 (Solhaven). Feel free to apologize whenever it's most convenient.

Ebondale
12-07-2005, 03:22 AM
>_> Well first off I don't even have that computer I used to play GS with.

What character were you playing?

EDIT: By the way, I was only in Solhaven to script through COL and I was in Icemule to script down to monkeys, kill monkeys, then script back to TC and sit.

I didn't talk to a soul.

[Edited on 12-7-2005 by Ebondale]

Drew
12-07-2005, 03:28 AM

EDIT: By the way, I was only in Solhaven to script through COL and I was in Icemule to script down to monkeys, kill monkeys, then script back to TC and sit.

I didn't talk to a soul.

Well hell, there's your great roleplaying right there.

Ebondale
12-07-2005, 04:04 AM
Drew, Drew, Drew.

Having a character that is beneath my character's notice (in his eyes) is not the same as me not roleplaying. I'm sure you could at least agree on that point.

Also, seeing "Ebondale has gone east." is not the same thing as seeing "Ebondale says, "omg ur shoes r kewl!!1""

You're disappointing me, Drew. I don't know why you went straight to personal attacks against me, its not like I've ever had anything unkind to say to you.

Drew
12-07-2005, 04:09 AM
I never made any personal attacks on you. You're just, in my estimation, a power gamer. I like when power gamers find other games than Gemstone to play. It's just that simple.

Ebondale
12-07-2005, 04:11 AM
I played an Empath for like six years and only got something like 33 trains because I was too busy RPing. I'm hardly what you would call a power gamer, Drew.

I think the "you couldn't roleplay your way out of a paper bag" comment constitutes a personal attack.

Drew
12-07-2005, 04:14 AM
Well then I'm sorry to hurt your feelings. I can see how that post would seem brusque, regardless, all I knew was Ebondale, not your empath.

Ebondale
12-07-2005, 04:30 AM
Well lets see. I played a female empath that was a Coven sister (this was before the Abbey was made, I was gone from the lands during that time period). Sweet thing. Playing a female character was an RP challenge because, well, I'm not a female. She also had a lot of baggage (history) that was created that went along with her. That made her fragile on a personal level though she had a pretty tough exterior about her.

She was the daughter of Melindeth and Lauranathalasa if you recall them. Irrelevant tidbit, though.

My return to the lands years later, this time it was Gemstone 4 (Oooooh, big changes). I wanted to try something different. I knew Starsnuffer and liked him for what he was and I had noticed that Dhe'nar was actually a recognized Elanthian race now.

I decided to make a particularly volatile Dhe'nar named Ebondale. The challenge this time... was being an asshole toward people. I don't like doing it, actually. Its hard on me.

I enjoyed learning Dhe'nar-si and the small tight-knit RP groups that I found, but in the end after getting married my wife bitched too much about the cost of GS and I had to quit.

*sigh*

Anyway. Thats it for history...

[Edited on 12-7-2005 by Ebondale]

Ardwen
12-07-2005, 05:39 AM
In what way is paying for merchant event content different then paying for WoW, EQ or any other games constant expansions?

Ardwen

Snapp
12-07-2005, 06:07 AM
Let's try to keep this topic about Simucon being cancelled please.

Caiylania
12-07-2005, 06:32 AM
I have never been to a Con at all. Sorry for those of you who wanted to and it got cancelled. Maybe in 07 if they get it up and cheaper I will go, who knows.

Hitting level 60 sucks? Why? No one makes you redo the same content over and over in any game. Go do the thousands of quests (I am told WOW has just as many as eqII?) One thing I love about EQII is that we have a mentor system. Even if you are capped at 60, you can mentor someone of any level- which makes you their level and scales all your gear to that level. The person you mentor gets a small xp bonus, and things are challenging for you again. It is the best way to help friends and get those old quests done in a way that is still challenging ;)

I still play GS for the RP and friends though being in Italy I don't see them as much :(

Oh, and to those bashing still playing text games in 05/06 whatever... To me playing GS is like reading a favorite book and writing your own chapters. Playing EQII is like watching a favorite movie.... I don't always want to read, and I don't always feel like a movie. I play one of the two depending on what mood I am in. They each are their own thing, not for comparison.

[Edited on 12-7-2005 by Caiylania]

Latrinsorm
12-07-2005, 09:40 AM
When you think about it though Gemstone isn't even all that customizable.It really, really is. Even without alters (which are seriously not that hard to get) there is *plenty* of customization available. I have to struggle to get my characters into all their outfits because they have so many (and I have 1 alter).
70$ for some goddamn lines of text is absurd. Someone needs to take an econ class.
I'm just sitting back You've posted like 30 times in this thread.
Simutronics has finding it harder and harder to fund GS and GS-related things.Certainly you won't mind backing this up by posting Simutronics' exact monthly revenue over the past few years.
received two RP bonuses in the SHORT time that I was playing again. I got an RPA once for advising a GM how to hunt with a cleric. Getting an RPA does not necessarily have anything to do with roleplaying, and I'll take Drew's word over some phantom GM's any day.

And as for the cost of Gemstone being out of whack, I couldn't even get half-tipsy on the alcohol I could get with what I pay for GS by the month and I'm a total lightweight. I could see maybe one movie or buy a half to a third of a video game.

In short, GS roxx0rz ur boxx0rz, Simucon was way too expensive but I was going to go anyway, and now I'll be going to the unofficial one instead. No skin off my nose (unless of course the unofficial Simucon consists of nose-skinners).

Czeska
12-07-2005, 09:46 AM
I've didn't go to Simucon this past year, just couldn't swing the cash.

This year.. my husband wanted to go but considering the baby will be born 2-3 months before when it was going to be, that was looking unlikely. So I"m not overly disappointed.

Mostly I just miss hanging out with a very good friend who we always roomed with, but he went from a GS GM to a HJ GM and still comes here to visit anyhow, so tha'ts ok :)

Skeeter
12-07-2005, 09:47 AM
I blame Warden. He wrecked hunting, and now he's clearly wrecked simucon. :banghead:

Czeska
12-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Maybe, but it's amusing to watch him try to dance when he's drunk.

Askip
12-07-2005, 10:54 AM
If the seminars were worth the time, I would go again.

However, they do not seem to be any added value. Everything discussed is either already on the BBS or soon will be.

They definately need to rethink the structure and cost, I feel the hiatus is a good thing.

Askip
12-07-2005, 10:57 AM
If the seminars were worth the time, I would go again.

However, they do not seem to be any added value. Everything discussed is either already on the BBS or soon will be.

They definately need to rethink the structure and cost, I feel the hiatus is a good thing.

Hips
12-07-2005, 11:08 AM
I'll be 21 by the time they have the next one in 2007, so maybe I'll consider going. :devil:

[Edited on 12-7-2005 by GS3 Michiko]

SpunGirl
12-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Latrinsorm, who have you been taking lessons from? Your posts are starting to kick ass.

-K

Latrinsorm
12-07-2005, 03:08 PM
Latrinsorm, who have you been taking lessons from? Your posts are starting to kick ass.:heart:

Satira mostly. Isn't she the bee's knees?

SpunGirl
12-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Absolutely!

-K

Tsa`ah
12-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Just out of curiosity ... what were registered attendees paying for their room, and what price were the crashers paying?

SpunGirl
12-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Same price ($99/night). It was part of the thing that Bubba was irritated about, I think - people were calling and registering for the cheaper room rate under the "simucon" name without actually registering through Simu for the convention ticket. We did have ONE person in our room of six that was registered, though, haha.

-K

Trouble
12-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Wow no Simucon this year? I guess it's not a huge surprise though, we've all seen the signs.

I've only missed one since 1997 so it will be a little strange not going this year, but I suppose I could go out and get a life instead.... Who am I kidding? WoW is rapidly consuming my soul, there won't be much left of me by June anyhow, heh.

ElanthianSiren
12-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
Simutronics would probably be a lot better off if they just went public.

Some things to consider:

1. Going public entails quarterly progress reports to investors and a disclosure of assetts and liabilities. As we're aware, Simutronics is very secretive about these particular financial documents.

2. Going public often requires consideration of the opinions of your shareholders.

3. The underwriter and his/her fees. Securities attorneys and their fees, registration statements, transfer agents and their fees, and SEC review (traders sometimes call this 'the dance of bribery and cajouling').

4. SIMU would need to get endorsements from several banking institutions for a product that has a dwindling niche.

5. Going public may tie up capital for years (re: GOOG, which began its bid to sell stock in 1998 and only succeeded in getting approval to go IPO in 2003) and cost anywhere between $300,000 and $500,000 average. I doubt Simutronics has the float to go public.

6: Their strategy
Their strategy, at least with GS, seems to be fast-paced gratification to attract customers while slowing down its loyal base in a repetitious system that labels them as expendable (much like an assembly line juicer puncturing the sweetest new oranges a few times then trying to squeeze as much out of the old ones as possible).

The track that simu is on will never lead them to going public because they have forfeited their innovative text games to expensive graphics-based models that are already one step behind an ever-evolving market.

The market likes lag and laggards less than a twelve year old playing GS in 1995 on a 14.4 modem.

-M

HarmNone
12-07-2005, 08:52 PM
To me, this portends the end of an era, so to speak. Simu has fallen so far behind the times there's no catching up, at this point.

There was a time when it wouldn't have occurred to anybody to crash a SimuCon. There was a certain amount of loyalty to the product, and to the company. While I never attended a SimuCon, my mother did, and she had a wonderful time. According to her, there was an amazing comaradarie amongst the staff and the players.

Since that time, Simu has moved further and further away from it's loyal customer base and more and more toward attracting new players. Those new players don't have the loyalty, and rarely go the distance with the game as players once did. Times have changed. Simu just couldn't keep up. At least, that's how I see it.

ElanthianSiren
12-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Sure Sure HN... way to sum up a perfectly wonderful post full of financial mumbo jumbo in three paragraphs! If I didn't love you so much, I'd be distraught!

-M

HarmNone
12-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Heh. Chalk it up to the fact that I know diddly shit about finance! :D

Satira
12-07-2005, 11:09 PM
At simucon a staff member was saying how the special room rate deal almost got screwed up because they barely reached the occupied room quota that they had agreed on with the hotel. The special rate was 99 dollars a night if they would fill a certain number of rooms. People who were crashing were still filling part of their room quota. If we didn't show up and "CRASH" they probably wouldn't have been able to fulfill the contract with the hotel.

The problem isn't with the crashers. The problem is WHY people crash, and that's the company's fault. Their inability to lower the price of admission and poor choice of location is why more people aren't coming. Plane tickets cost anywhere from 60 to 350 (or more) dollars just to get there. Hotel rooms were 99 dollars a night, which is too much in St. Louis. And then 250 dollars for admission on top of that? Most people just can't afford it. And if there's an option of hanging out with people, having a good time, and the only thing you're missing are the seminars, crashing sounds pretty damn good.

I'm loyal. And if the admission price was under 100 dollars I'd pay it, but anything else is just going way too far.

Daniel
12-08-2005, 09:27 AM
No way I'd pay 250 bucks to go listen to abunch of dweebs talk about what I could read on the net 30 minutes later.

Czeska
12-08-2005, 09:38 AM
I wonder if they gave away a free admission to Simucon at the dinner last year, like they did every other year..

If so, i'd want at least 6 months free premium instead. Screw waiting til 2007.

Hulkein
12-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Drew, Drew, Drew.

Having a character that is beneath my character's notice (in his eyes) is not the same as me not roleplaying. I'm sure you could at least agree on that point.

Also, seeing "Ebondale has gone east." is not the same thing as seeing "Ebondale says, "omg ur shoes r kewl!!1""

You're disappointing me, Drew. I don't know why you went straight to personal attacks against me, its not like I've ever had anything unkind to say to you.

Hahaha. You should be in the NFL with backpedaling skills like that. You'd be a shut-down corner.

Chelle
12-08-2005, 01:01 PM

Some people have been playing Gemstone for years and have never been fortunate enough to get a single alteration even with a Premium account. (Such as myself).

The whole "boohoo I've never had an alteration" thing is so tired. You're premium, use your fucking points. The end.

-K

Agreed. I have never spent a dime on a Premium Account and still managed to get several alterations. I rarely had the alterers names highlighted. I rarely ever even checked the calendar either. I wasn't even the typical merchant hunter. It's just a matter of being in the right places at the right times. Having a good positive attitude when the spinner spins and not be whiney when it doesn't land on you. Oddly enough I have found when I've been in a good mood and not concerned about winning is when I would win.

Warriorbird
12-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Alternately to all the other explanations...maybe they were wondering just why they completely failed to run a profitable Con at those huge costs when so many other people manage it (even in St. Louis.)

I think taking some time to examine strategy will probably be good.

Ylena
12-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Taking some time to examine strategy is a great idea. Hiring people who are actually professional planners rather than have office staff have to wing it is even a better idea.

Personally, if it was my company, I wouldn't be looking at Simucon as a moneymaker. I'd be looking to break even. The biggest reason that people play for years is the community, not the game. The cons and gathers kept Gary and me in the game for years. If I'd been making the decision solely on gameplay, I'd have left several years ago.

SpunGirl
12-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Ylena is absolutely right.

-K

GSTamral
12-08-2005, 09:08 PM
My Take on Simucon:

Last year there were a lot of crashers. Part of the reason for that, was that 2003 was outstanding, but 2004 was fairly bad, a fact that many of staff even admitted off the record. There are several problems with the way Simucon functioned in the last couple of years, and as a result, the actual official convention became a drag.

in 2003, most of the members of staff who were in attendance spent most of their other available free time conversing and mingling with the customers.

In 2004 and 2005, with a lot of new members of customer service and development staff, most of them spent time at GM only or staff only tables amongst themselves, leaving some people feeling either left out, or just outright annoyed. Most players didn't care, but there was a definite measure of annoyance in some players.

2003 was a great con because it lasted longer, and most of the events at the con were designed to just have fun. The seminars were just a side thing, and the general aura of the convention was that of people getting together, enjoying themselves, and just having a good time.

2004 was the year of Hero's Journey. They forced it down our throats at every pass. Very little focus was given to customer enjoyment, and the feeling was that the convention had turned into a business convention in which we were all attending in order to gather information and study it. In short, it was all about seminars, game mechanics, and hero's journey. Many of the seminars became heated arguments or sources of frustration. This may have been part of the reason staff decided to leave players out when hanging out and just being around.

2005 was an attempt to return to more of the roots of Simucon, but the fact was that the sheer volume of crashers prevented them from having control over where people were and what they did. It became fun again, but it was not Simutronics driven. There wasn't enough value in registering in most people's eyes.

The con is all about just gathering, having fun, drinking, etc.
Simu needs to get back on focus with that, and schedule and plan the con to do that for players.

Melissa, her husband, Susan and Tom Zelinski ended up spending more time with players of their games than most player-staff at the last 2 cons. If non-seminar events are going to be mutually exclusive, then very simply, it falls down to paying 200-300 bucks for some seminars and a fairly bad dinner.

2005 was actually a lot of fun, both for people who registered and for people who crashed, although there was definitely something missing there when the L.A. crew sat the event out.

GSTamral
12-08-2005, 09:21 PM
And also, for the record, they also rested from 89-91, and 93,