PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Class Action Lawsuit

Wezas
12-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Robert Byers, who brought the suit, said the power supply and central processing unit in the Xbox 360 overheat, affecting heat-sensitive chips and causing the console to lock up. (http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=2005-12-05T183631Z_01_ARM566955_RTRUKOC_0_US-MEDIA-XBOX.xml)

Asha
12-06-2005, 07:15 AM
This makes me sad.
If I have to send mine back becouse their greed backfired on them. I'm going on a killing spree.

Vimp
12-06-2005, 07:27 AM
Just go to the microsoft offices and do what they do in their advert that Skeeter points us to...

http://forum.gsplayers.com/viewthread.php?tid=19090

:shoot:

Androidpk
12-06-2005, 09:40 AM
I think i'll start a lawsuit against stupid people like that who feel the need to sue everyone. SUE SUE SUE SUE SUE, it's the American way. EZ money in your pockets.

The problem with the xbox360 is not even close to being widespread and is easily replaced/fixed. All new hardware that comes out is prone to bugs and problems, nothing to go cry about. :rolleyes:

Wezas
12-06-2005, 11:02 AM
I think part of the issue, Android, is this is basically the same exact problem the original Xbox had when it came out.

Now if the PS3 has some kind of laser weakening issues that causes disc read errors after a while, I can see the same lawsuit pop up.

StrayRogue
12-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Wait, people expected a product from microsoft that wasn't shoddy??

xtc
12-06-2005, 11:26 AM
They did a story on the local news about this last week. It looks like microsoft has done what it always does, rush to market with a new product and hype the shit out of it, grab all the dollars you can as fast as you can. Then release a statement that the problem isn't widespread (ha, ha, ha) and that you are fixing it. Some needs to tell microsoft that you can't do updates to fix hardware.

Let's remember that tons of these new Xboxes haven't even been turned on yet. They are wrapped up waiting to opened on Christmas day. Lets see how many people report defective Xboxes after Christmas.

I say kudos to the guy who is suing microsoft.

fallenSaint
12-06-2005, 11:34 AM
I’m sure someone pointed out that the cooling solution wasn’t up to spec for it and the guys in the suits said they would take their chances, maybe enough lawsuits later and they won't do the same for the Xbox 540.

Sean of the Thread
12-06-2005, 11:45 AM
People are also dumb and put their xbox on the carpet.

fallenSaint
12-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Well the device is marketed for sale to your average gamer who doesn't sport a entertainment center large enough to leave the thing a personal bubble of air to keep it cool. And I’ve seen reports of them over heating even when on a flat surface with plenty of room; the carpet situation just accelerates the flaws.

Fission
12-06-2005, 01:58 PM
If anything, it's more stupidity and trying to beat Sony to market than greed, considering Microsoft loses like $125 on components alone on every unit sold.

xtc
12-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Fission
If anything, it's more stupidity and trying to beat Sony to market than greed, considering Microsoft loses like $125 on components alone on every unit sold.

If they beat Sony to market and become the "it game" they will soon turn the tide on those loses as every kid rushes to buy Xbox games which is where they make their profit.

I think microsoft is trying to increase their market share of the video game market. Take a lose on units, eat into Sony's market share and make money on games. It is always about the greed.

Fission
12-06-2005, 02:08 PM
It's expensive greed for them, and yes, they're pretty much trying to buy into the market at this point.

Microsoft is number 2 over Nintendo, but still way far behind Sony as far as an installed user base. Getting that far with the 1st X-Box lost them over 4 billion dollars alone... games didn't offset that, other divisions of the company did.

Sietzer
12-06-2005, 02:13 PM
The ps2 had a problem damn thats why i couldnt playh playstation disks anymore and my playstation two disks stopped working i figured that i had crappy disks and went out and bought a couple brand new ones they worked for a couple days and stopped.This is why i like gemstone new updates but ya dont have to pay extra.

Wezas
12-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Sietzer
The ps2 had a problem damn thats why i couldnt playh playstation disks anymore and my playstation two disks stopped working i figured that i had crappy disks and went out and bought a couple brand new ones they worked for a couple days and stopped.This is why i like gemstone new updates but ya dont have to pay extra.

You almost had the record, but that one period you put in there made you just miss it.

imported_Kranar
12-06-2005, 04:23 PM
I can understand people thinking this is a greed issue, and obviously every company is out to make as much cash as possible.

The issue with consoles is that companies lose money on every console they sell, and then try to make back that money via the games and potential services.

The XBox 360 is a very powerful machine, so much so that people are using XBox 360s as cheap internet servers and very powerful computing stations. The engineers at my university actually did a project where they pooled together 7 of the normal XBox's together to make a super-computer running Linux. Imagine what can be done using the XBox 360.

To make such a powerful product cost so little... Microsoft went with the good ol' overclock approach. Take some cheap hardware, overclock it, then add onto it some additional cheap patches to make the overclocked system secure, and sell it. This means Microsoft loses less money on every console sold, and consumers pay less money for a fairly powerful machine.

Obviously this approach would fail for a very minor number of products, since overclocking is prone to heat issues, and no doubt Microsoft was aware of this, but it should remain a small number. I can't forsee this being as big of a problem as requiring a class-action lawsuit.

From what I understand, Sony is taking a smarter approach by making a machine that uses distributed computing rather than relying on one processor, and it should end up being a far more powerful machine, but then again... PS3 will also cost way more money than the XBox and will also be much harder for game developers to work with and get accustomed to.

<< ... they won't do the same for the Xbox 540. >>

The XBox Helium will be the next generation console... and yep, Microsoft is already hard at work on it and has been for awhile.

[Edited on 12-6-2005 by Kranar]

Neildo
12-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Well the Xbox does have a crappy cooling system for having the config it does in such a tight space. However, most of the problems is the user's fault not reading the darn manual where to place and store their Xbox. I betcha most have it in a cubby or other compartment or on the floor where it doesn't get adequate cooling like someone else mentioned.

- N

Marl
12-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Go ahead and return your xbox for cash.....save $300 more bucks and get a PS3

Ebondale
12-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Looks like the XBOX 360 is going to pull an XBOX 128? :lol:

Sony is probably dying of laugher right now.

Latrinsorm
12-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Yeah because the early flaws of the original XBox really doomed that console. :?:

Wezas
12-07-2005, 09:22 AM
11/25/05 - Sony CEO says Playstation 3 will sell for $300-$400

Sony’s CEO, Sir Howard Stringer, said recently that Sony will sell the PS3 at a loss in order to populate the world with Sony’s favored high-definition DVD standard, known as Blu-ray.

Because the first standalone Blu-ray DVD players are expected to cost $1,000 or so, Sony is essentially giving a free next-generation DVD Player to every Playstation 3 customer.

Yeah because the early flaws of the original XBox really doomed that console.

Out of 25 million Xboxes sold, 14 million had their power cord recalled.

No, of course it didn't doom the console. But I've heard more then one person I know say "I was planning on getting an Xbox 360, but with all these problems, plus the problems I had with my original, I'm going to hold off for the second round".

And by then, the PS3 may be more of a reality.

Latrinsorm
12-07-2005, 09:51 AM
You're probably right, but all I heard in that post was "blah blah blah non-Nintendo this non-Nintendo that".

The Remote Control Revolution FTW.

Wezas
12-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm
You're probably right, but all I heard in that post was "blah blah blah non-Nintendo this non-Nintendo that".

The Remote Control Revolution FTW.

Nintendo had it's day early on. It had a nice long run, even when Sega and others tried to compete.

Playstation basically pwned them.

The Gameboy Advance was a nice little comeback.

The next Nintendo will only be bought by either die-hard fans of mario/zelda/other icons, or the younger kid market.

The Ponzzz
12-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Wezas ftw!

Terminator X
12-08-2005, 02:44 AM
The ultimate bundle went from 695.99 to 689.99 on eBGames, a clear reflection of Microsoft's lack of confidence contributing to enormous price cuts in today's Xbox market :rolleyes:

Fission
12-08-2005, 03:35 AM
Nintendo had it's day early on. It had a nice long run, even when Sega and others tried to compete.

Playstation basically pwned them.

The Gameboy Advance was a nice little comeback.

The next Nintendo will only be bought by either die-hard fans of mario/zelda/other icons, or the younger kid market.

Nintendo pwned themselves just as hard, trying to put the N64 against the Playstation. Sticking to cartridge format was the final straw and chased a lot of developers away from their platform and over to Sony.

The strange thing is, Nintendo's now content to stay at number 3, so Microsoft getting to number 2 isn't all that huge of an achievement.

imported_Kranar
12-08-2005, 10:57 AM
<< The strange thing is, Nintendo's now content to stay at number 3, so Microsoft getting to number 2 isn't all that huge of an achievement. >>

In terms of units sold, worldwide the Gamecube was battling against the XBox for the #2 spot... but in terms of profits, Nintendo is actually in the lead ahead of even Sony.

This is mostly because the Gamecube is the cheapest console to manufacture and produce games for, while being in the same price range as the other consoles.