PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Solhaven?

Revalos
10-11-2003, 07:07 PM
With the upcoming trailblazers meeting marking nearly 5 years of existence, I thought it would be fitting to find out what folk out there think of Solhaven.

I've heard all sides. Some hate it and avoid it like the plague, others hold it in high regard. I'd like to hear your responses to slake my own curiosity.

I'm referring to both the town itself (getting around, things to do, room descriptions, etc...) and the PCs that live there (are they elitists?, asleep most of the time, nice folks, etc...).

Personally, I rather like it. But I think that my hanging around areas other than Sleep Market helps quite a bit in my perceptions.

I think it has got a lot of varied people that live there (Mekthros, Rinika, Haxley, Witcheaven, Seablade, Songie, Kateerina, as well as a lot of others), and a lot of interesting places nearby (the bay, the seacoast, South Haven, Crooked Way, and most importantly, it is near enough to the landing that if you like the hustle and bustle there, you can get there without much trouble).

StrayRogue
10-11-2003, 07:09 PM
Its very...clique, from my experience.

Artha
10-11-2003, 07:09 PM
Boring, empty, cliquish.

I prefer Mule.

theotherjohn
10-11-2003, 07:20 PM
to me it is just another hunting area of the landing. when I hunt there I script back to the landing canvasary to sell and deposit all silver. there is nothing worth hanging out there for

Xcalibur
10-11-2003, 07:22 PM
For me, all towns beside landing are the same

Clique, boring, empty and boring

Did i said boring?

CrystalTears
10-11-2003, 07:25 PM
I love it. Most of my characters eventually end up there. I've never found it to be cliquesh at all. Quite the opposite, really. Always helping everyone, and most people introduce themselves because they like knowing who is in town. Helps with rescues and the like. Since it's opening, it's always been my favorite town.

Drew2
10-11-2003, 07:30 PM
I've had my bard there for a long time. He's died a few times. It's hard as CRAP to get a cleric around there. Then agian... he always dies in the middle of the night. Maybe I should die at more convenient times.

The people are generally pretty nice, however. He gets spells and healing and stuff pretty easily.

Revalos
10-11-2003, 09:53 PM
I've always been confused at the folks who find it cliquish. I'd love to hear names regarding this, as I may just have blacklisted these folks long ago...or I may be in the clique myself and just not know it...heh.

As for it being boring. I can see where folks come from on that. With no selling amunet, sleepers, and it being so close to the Landing, I can definately see that. I just got bored of all the mystery items and general crap thats sold on the amunet in the Landing, but I do sometimes pop up there to sell my crap too...he he.

Well...I'm not here to defend it, since everyone has their own basis for their opinion, but I am curious none the less.

Lady Daina
10-11-2003, 10:34 PM
I enjoy Solhaven very much.

I think if I didn't love Icemule so much I'd probably live there.

Yes, there are some cliques but I think you will find those everywhere. For the most part I find the people in Solhaven to be friendly and inclusive, helpful and well-mannered. When they're awake. ;)

Trinitis
10-11-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Revalos
I've always been confused at the folks who find it cliquish. I'd love to hear names regarding this, as I may just have blacklisted these folks long ago...or I may be in the clique myself and just not know it...heh.

As for it being boring. I can see where folks come from on that. With no selling amunet, sleepers, and it being so close to the Landing, I can definately see that. I just got bored of all the mystery items and general crap thats sold on the amunet in the Landing, but I do sometimes pop up there to sell my crap too...he he.

Well...I'm not here to defend it, since everyone has their own basis for their opinion, but I am curious none the less.

I can't name names..cause I don't remember.

But I can honestly tell you that during the Sword quest thing, the healers in Haven were...ugh!

My healer had been in town for months, working on COL (I go slow with my healer, in just about everything..)

Well, the saga hits solhaven, which of course, causes the world to explode, yada yada.

Anyway..people are dead, the town is toast. And this healer group (can't remember there name..) in solhaven sets up shop in the capt's quaters? So..I wonder over there with my healer to see if I can help out. I stand around for 15 min or so, watching how the system works (which, during an invasion is, of course, chaos). After a while, I start whispering to dead bodies that have been overlooked, asking if they would like healed. The very first person I heal, three empaths in the room pounce on me. Calling me a vulture and telling me I don't belong there. I was shocked..stood there for a moment..then shruged and walked out. Have not been back since.

-Adredrin

Revalos
10-11-2003, 11:09 PM
The GSS brough out the absolute worst in Solhaven. I had to quit the game for about three months after it with all the stupidity it generated.

Normally nice people got turned into quest hounding vultures, and would go ballistic unless they were involved in every single event that went on.

I got e-mails from people I had previously regarded as friends basically telling me that they knew I was fucking some GM or their wife to get in on the quest action.

I can totally understand the impressions you got then. I think the GSS screwed a lot of people up...I almost dread when it gets back up and running again.

Snapp
10-11-2003, 11:15 PM
I've liked Solhaven the few times I've been there.. but was rather boring. Probably because I didn't know anyone, and everyone else seemed to know each other, so I always end up back in Landing. :cool:

Razarn
10-12-2003, 04:41 AM
Speaking as a resident I love the place. Stopped by about a year ago and never left. It did seem a bit quiet at first but that seems to have gradually changed. I have met some lovely folks there , being a cleric I meet LOADS of people ..heh. If you ever see me about stop and say Hi . Cant recommend the place highly enough. Oh I like Ice mule too....

Betheny
10-12-2003, 06:45 AM
Mostly, I like solhaven. But those that think they own the place? They can just die.

Adhara
10-12-2003, 07:24 AM
I hung out in Solhaven while hunting Bonespear a couple years ago. I found it a quiet, friendly town. I love the town itself, especially the temples. I'm glad to see they expanded on it. If there was something for me to hunt around there I would definitely consider moving there... I'd be torn between Solhaven and Illistim.

As for the people, if there were any cliques at the time, I was oblivious to them. I did have some issues with Songie however. She does act like she owns the place. I never could stand her. Personality conflict I suppose.

Aside from that, I have very pleasant memories from time spent around Solhaven.

[Edited on 10-12-2003 by Adhara]

Kurili
10-12-2003, 11:08 AM
Having just returned to GS Prime during the recent Mandis crystal thing, I took my little Sorceress to Solhaven. I liked it very much, and considered staying there..until the crystal was broken, and havoc reigned. The people on the thought net telling everyone to go back to the Landings, NOW, you dont belong here, was a bit much for me. Yes, I can understand it was a strain on a small town having all those outsiders. But from then on, I've felt very much an outsider there.

The same Sorceress is there now, doing COL. But I dont stay except to log in, get a rank, log out. If I wasnt so lost there, I'd hurry it up and get it over with.

Acolyte Kurili

Brat8525
10-12-2003, 11:38 AM
I love Solhaven, always have and always will.

The people there are very helpful, lose a weapon to a critter and you will have the whole town there looking high and low until they find it.

Tara

Halfsilver
10-12-2003, 11:43 AM
Solhaven's a decent place.
People are very helpful and polite.
Great hunting areas that are hardly ever crowded. I've spent quite a bit of time in the broken tower.

Careful hunting there on off-times, though. You might find yourself there for a long time if you die.

-grays/d

Betheny
10-12-2003, 04:37 PM
My issues revolve around Kilthal and Songowl.