PDA

View Full Version : Does this exist? (Computer hardware)

Bobmuhthol
11-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Okay, so I'm planning on eventually buying myself another hard drive because I have less than 86 GB of my 181 GB left. I'm going to use it just for file storage: movies, music, install files, etc., so I can free up 50+ GB. I'm wondering, since I'm getting lazier with putting in internal hard drives and moving them around when I want the data on another computer, if a device exists that will hold an internal hard drive while connecting to a computer via USB, rendering it essentially external. My goal is convenience as well as cost efficiency: I want a large-capacity internal hard drive that I can make external at any moment.

If this doesn't exist, someone seriously needs to make it.

Stunseed
11-29-2005, 09:21 PM
The kit is sold by Office Depot, but outrageously expensive, making it not worth it. I want to say when we had it, it was 79 bucks.

Bobmuhthol
11-29-2005, 09:24 PM
If I was willing to put the money into it, $80 might not be such a bad thing. I'd say there's at least an $80 difference between buying a 200 GB internal and external hard drive.

Bobmuhthol
11-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Wow, I think I lied. A 200 GB external hard drive is only like $145. I think that may just be the way to go.

Gan
11-29-2005, 09:28 PM
Check out these enclosures. Some as cheap as 9.99.

You'll of course want to find one compatable with your existing drives you wish to enclose...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1204

Bobmuhthol
11-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Holy crap. I've never looked at enclosures so this is a big revelation.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=31389&CatId=0

If that's what I think it is (meaning if it's exactly what I described in my first post), that pwnz very hard.

Sean of the Thread
11-29-2005, 09:33 PM
I've got several ADS firewire set ups that I love.

Bobmuhthol
11-29-2005, 09:35 PM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1042638&CatId=1204

:)

Sean of the Thread
11-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1042638&CatId=1204

:)

Yep.. they roxxor.

Edit to say I only have the firewire versions and have never tried their usb2.

[Edited on 11-30-2005 by Xyelin]

Hulkein
11-29-2005, 10:10 PM
You must download a ton of shit to use that much space.

Bobmuhthol
11-29-2005, 10:18 PM
It's mainly from my DVD copies of rented movies. 4-4.7GB each, and I'd rather have that than convert them to just video files. ATHF is another 4+ GB.

And I pirate a considerable amount of software.

Numbers
11-29-2005, 10:22 PM
Do you have a DVD burner?

Bobmuhthol
11-29-2005, 10:25 PM
Yes. Fuck DVDs.

And by that I mean I haven't gotten around to buying some blank DVDs to put the movies on. I figure I won't have to bother since I wanted an internal/external hard drive anyway. Kill two birds with one stone.

Numbers
11-29-2005, 10:35 PM
True. But you sound a lot like me in your DVD and software habits, and I've got 300 GB's of HD space, and if I kept everything on my HD, I would have filled it up a long time ago.

Blank DVD's are really cheap these days. You can sometimes find them for a quarter a disc, especially at places like BJ's and Costco. Plus, when it comes to movie DVD's, you'd also be able to play them on large screen televisions. After combining that with NetFlix, my DVD collection is about 250+ right now.

If you were planning on getting another hard drive anyway, though, you may as well go with that. I've never had the best experience with them, though. I had a firewire one once, and the transfer rate wasn't all that spectacular.

fallenSaint
11-29-2005, 11:05 PM
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=92

So many options with various tid bits here and there. Might I suggest something in the lines of a SATA being as they are inherently hot-swappable.

AnticorRifling
11-29-2005, 11:22 PM
You can buy an external 200GB hdd like you said and here's the thing. It's just an IDE hdd connected to a usb board wrapped in a case, so you can use it for other hdds if you need to.

Or you can do what I'm planning which is to purchase a 1TB NAS(network attached storage) and toss it up on my home network. Gonna cost about 900 bucks so I'll need to save and convince the wife but I'm getting computer nerd wood just thinking about having my own TB NAS :cool:

Sean of the Thread
11-30-2005, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
You can buy an external 200GB hdd like you said and here's the thing. It's just an IDE hdd connected to a usb board wrapped in a case, so you can use it for other hdds if you need to.

Or you can do what I'm planning which is to purchase a 1TB NAS(network attached storage) and toss it up on my home network. Gonna cost about 900 bucks so I'll need to save and convince the wife but I'm getting computer nerd wood just thinking about having my own TB NAS :cool:

Dude you can build your own much cheaper.