PDA

View Full Version : Drayal and Nevermind

Latrinsorm
11-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Whoever changed Drayal's handle to Nevermind, there already is a handle named Nevermind (which also apparently is Drayal's, given the avatar), and all his (Drayal's) posts are showing up double now.

HarmNone
11-28-2005, 08:29 PM
That's because making the change to a previous user name requires two actions on my part, Latrinsorm. If you'll look now, you'll see that the second step has been taken. :)

[Edited on 11-29-2005 by HarmNone]

Bobmuhthol
11-28-2005, 08:30 PM
The name changing is a bit too lenient for my tastes.

HarmNone
11-28-2005, 08:31 PM
There's no reason why a poster can't change their posting name if they wish to do so, Bob. There's nothing in TOS to prevent it. Hell, all they'd have to do is to register again as the new name. Why not just let them change it if they wish? We ain't the name police.

Bobmuhthol
11-28-2005, 08:35 PM
You're right, they can register under a new name: that's exactly what I'd prefer.

I never claimed it was against any rules. I just dislike it. I don't need anyone's or anything's support for that.

HarmNone
11-28-2005, 08:37 PM
No, you don't, Bob. You're entitled to dislike it as much, or as little, as you wish. :)

Suppa Hobbit Mage
11-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Not that it means squat, but I dislike it too :)

I will always be Suppa Hobbit Mage!

Gan
11-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Too bad we cant have something like the sunglasses icon used in ebay to denote a recent name change.

While I agree that name changes should be honored, I think only providing its frequency and reason arent abused.

HarmNone
11-28-2005, 08:45 PM
I don't know of any case in which the reason for a name change has been one that could have been considered an abuse. In some cases, people who are banned re-register with another name. That is an abuse.

Your handle on these boards is a personal choice. Along the way, you may decide you don't like that name anymore, or that it doesn't fit your current persona. I don't think that's up to any of us to judge right or wrong. That's the province of the owner of the handle, don't you think?

In the case under discussion, there was certainly no attempt to obfuscate the poster's identity. It was a very obvious change.

Gan
11-28-2005, 08:47 PM
I can definately see it in the case where a Gemstone name is/was used and then that person no longer plays GS.

I think thats what Dave did a while back. And from my experience hosting a bbs, its easy for one with admin priv's to do.

Asha
11-28-2005, 08:47 PM
It was a seasonal change. Nevermind is my favourite album of all time.
Was for fun.

HarmNone
11-28-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Ganalon
I can definately see it in the case where a Gemstone name is/was used and then that person no longer plays GS.

I think thats what Dave did a while back. And from my experience hosting a bbs, its easy for one with admin priv's to do.

It's very easy to do, Ganalon. However, when a poster decides to use a name he/she has used previously, it takes two actions to complete the change and eliminate the old account data. Latrin happened to see the intermediate stage.

*Come to think of it, if I had gone about the change in reverse order of steps, I might have been able to prevent the duplicate posts. I'll have to try that next time. :)*

[Edited on 11-29-2005 by HarmNone]

Latrinsorm
11-28-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
:)Alrighty then.

As for name changes in general: Scott, Souzy, Betheny, Dave, Drew (Chiv) come to mind. This is nothing new.

Bobmuhthol
11-28-2005, 09:01 PM
<<As for name changes in general: Scott, Souzy, Betheny, Dave, Drew (Chiv) come to mind. This is nothing new.>>

And I approve(d) of 0 of them.

HarmNone
11-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Yes. There have been a number of name changes over the years. I've never been bothered by them. Since I didn't change Jesae's name, I'll have to assume they don't bother Kranar much, either.

As I said, handles used on these boards are a personal choice. They don't have any effect on me. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who wishes can change their handle, provided the handle remains within the boundaries of TOS. :)

Leetahkin
11-28-2005, 09:47 PM
He wanted his name alphabetically closer to mine!

Yeah, that's it. :yes:

That's a big, who fucking cares?
Answer? See my name.

Sean of the Thread
11-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Nobody Cares
He wanted his name alphabetically closer to mine!

Yeah, that's it. :yes:

That's a big, who fucking cares?
Answer? See my name.

:pig: I don't care either.

Bobmuhthol
11-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Referencing your handle was a very witty idea. The comical value of it is simply overwhelming.

If you're retarded.

Drew
11-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm

:)Alrighty then.

As for name changes in general: Scott, Souzy, Betheny, Dave, Drew (Chiv) come to mind. This is nothing new.

Actually I just reregistered with a new name, the old one still exists.

Kid tested-Bob approved.

Leetahkin
11-28-2005, 09:56 PM
Who the fuck cares what Bob approves or doesn't approve of.
I am more and more thankful every day that he isn't a mod, and hope he never becomes one. The shit he pulls and boasts about is unnerving.

Bobmuhthol
11-28-2005, 10:04 PM
<<Who the fuck cares what Bob approves or doesn't approve of.>>

I don't think anyone claimed to care, and I don't think anyone asked if anyone else cared. I also don't think you had anything to do with it.

<<I am more and more thankful every day that he isn't a mod, and hope he never becomes one. The shit he pulls and boasts about is unnerving.>>

Who the fuck cares?

4a6c1
11-28-2005, 10:33 PM
OOOH OOOH!

Can I like, have a different handle every week? Pretty plz?

Fallen
11-28-2005, 11:19 PM
I changed mine from Dighn to Fallen. But I think I had a decent reason for doing so.

*Crickets chirping*

Yeah, so that's my story.

Kainen
11-29-2005, 01:16 AM
It's not like you couldn't tell who he was.. nothing changed cept his name.

SpunGirl
11-29-2005, 01:24 AM
LOL, Nobody... how do you find Bob's posts unnerving?

-K

HarmNone
11-29-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by JihnasSpirit
OOOH OOOH!

If you must. I hope you don't. Please. I beg of you. :D

Czeska
11-29-2005, 09:04 AM
I've been considering changing mine for months now, since I all but never play czeska.

Too much effort thus far.

4a6c1
11-29-2005, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by JihnasSpirit
OOOH OOOH!

If you must. I hope you don't. Please. I beg of you. :D

:baby:

Alfster
11-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Xyelin

:pig: You obviously care what bob approves or doesn't approve of as you are thankful more and more everyday that he isn't a mod... :pig:

:pig: xinfity

:pig:

But, but, but....NOBODY CARES

:pig:

Leetahkin
11-29-2005, 12:42 PM
Stop trolling my posts, children.

Oh, slower for you two idiots?

STOP..... TROLLING.... MY..... POSTS

Nieninque
12-09-2005, 08:53 AM
sdgh;ahg;aoihga;rngya;/nygtaz!

Just my thoughts on not knowing who the fuck I have to hate here any more.

Edited for clarity...that wasnt specifically directed at Drayal, moreso the fact that I dont have a clue who the fuck anyone is any more...and we arent talking new posters.

[Edited on 9-12-05 by Nieninque]

Leetahkin
12-09-2005, 08:56 AM
Oh yeah....
... I changed my name.

No more Nobody Cares.

12-09-2005, 08:59 AM
These name changes suck.

Brattt8525
12-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Is this a new trend or something? It is annoying to a degree as now it is getting hard to tell who the hell is who anymore :no:

Caiylania
12-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Hi. I'm Caiy. Sup?

Wezas
12-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by LeetahkinNobody Cares

Exactly.

Bobmuhthol
12-09-2005, 10:39 AM
These name changes do, in fact, suck.

Snapp
12-09-2005, 11:42 AM
How about we swing this topic back to name changes and whatnot?

CrystalTears
12-09-2005, 11:45 AM
You're right, Snapp. My bad! I was a bad person for continuing it.

At least it shows, if anything, that name changes don't do anything but frustrate the rest of us, as we end up not knowing who we're arguing with in the first place. :D

SpunGirl
12-09-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
At least it shows, if anything, that name changes don't do anything but frustrate the rest of us, as we end up not knowing who we're arguing with in the first place. :D

Actually, CT... I think it shows that someone is stupid for getting into a pissing contest with you when she is clearly fucking retarded.

And bla bla bla name changes. :saint:

-K

HarmNone
12-09-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm going to say something here. If you ask for trouble, don't report posts that give you the trouble you're asking for. I can guarantee you that nothing...I repeat, NOTHING, will be done about it. You stick it out there, it's your problem if it gets cut off.

That said, let's get this thread back on topic. It's a thread about name changes and why we should give a shit what somebody calls themselves on a on-line message board. It's a highly sensitive and meaningful topic. Yes. Really. It is.

DeV
12-09-2005, 12:58 PM
I honestly don't give a fuck about name changes. There appears to be abundance of them lately, but it's not causing me to lose any sleep at night and I have no problem deciphering who is who. The name can change but the posting style usually remains anyway.

HarmNone
12-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by DeV
I honestly don't give a fuck about name changes. There appears to be abundance of them lately, but it's not causing me to lose any sleep at night and I have no problem deciphering who is who. The name can change but the posting style usually remains anyway.

Exactly, DeV. ;)

Skeeter
12-09-2005, 02:03 PM
I haven't had a good nights sleep in over a week. I stay up all hours pondering who is who. Fuck these fucking name changes

Miss X
12-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Thread has been split so we can continue name change related talk here. Thanks.

Sean
12-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Out of curiousity, I think I asked this before and there was no definitive answer.. but if you have 2 accts and want to use the name of your alias acct as your main is it possible to make that switch or can you only use unused names?

CrystalTears
12-09-2005, 02:09 PM
The split thread can be found in Off-Topic titled "Taking it elsewhere..."

http://forum.gsplayers.com/viewthread.php?tid=19168

As for Tijay's question, HarmNone would need to give the alias a temp name while she changed your main to the alt name, and then put the main name back on the alt. Hope you followed that, but essentially, it can be done.

DeV
12-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Skeeter
I haven't had a good nights sleep in over a week. I stay up all hours pondering who is who. Fuck these fucking name changes I feel for you, man. :(

Asha
12-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Tijay
Out of curiousity, I think I asked this before and there was no definitive answer.. but if you have 2 accts and want to use the name of your alias acct as your main is it possible to make that switch or can you only use unused names?

It's possible.

Wezas
12-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Would it be against TOS if I wanted to change my name to Edine?

Sean
12-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Wezas

You're arrogant enough but not quite vain enough to be an Edine ;)

Wezas
12-09-2005, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Wezas

You're arrogant enough but not quite vain enough to be an Edine ;)

I take that as both a compliment and an insult. I'd be more vain if I wasn't so fugly.

HarmNone
12-09-2005, 02:45 PM

It can be done, Tijay. It just takes two steps instead of one.

HarmNone
12-18-2005, 09:23 AM
As the one who usually ends up changing these names, I've got to say that I wish so many people weren't doing it lately. However, if you think about it, if a new name suddenly shows up with a whole shitload of posts, you can bet your bippy it's someone who's been posting here awhile and has now changed their handle.

On the other hand, if someone changes to a new name and starts over, you REALLY don't know who you're dealing with. It could be a new poster, or...as in many cases, it could be an old poster trying to skip out on a problem he, or she, has created for him/herself.

As I said before, I refuse to be the name police. I don't care who wants to call themselves what, frankly. Most people who are changing their names these days are announcing it themselves, so all of you will know "who to hate", if that's all that important to you. Personally, I'll take any poster at face value. Post within TOS and I'm happy as a clam.

Nieninque
12-18-2005, 12:24 PM
OMFG Harmnone, that post was 9 days old.
Way to bump a useless thread!!!!111111oneoneeleventyone

Edaarin
12-18-2005, 12:54 PM
You can't be Edine, you know how to spell Skirm.

Hulkein
12-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Skrim, not Skirm.

Ravenstorm
12-18-2005, 01:15 PM
... bet your bippy...

Bippy?

*looks that up in his Funk & Wagnall's*

Raven

Ilvane
12-18-2005, 03:26 PM
I'm continually amazed at how upset people get over such little things.

-A

TheEschaton
12-18-2005, 05:08 PM
I don't think anyone "understands" my handle (except for probably Latrin), but that's why I like it. Hopefully y'all will be aroused to enough curiousity to do a quick google for it.

And if not, that's your perogative.

-TheE-

Latrinsorm
12-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Haha, you totally linked to an explanation of it once before though. And for the record, I didn't know what it was before that. I think it was uh... Raven or someone who knew.

Hulkein
12-18-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by TheEschaton
I don't think anyone "understands" my handle (except for probably Latrin), but that's why I like it. Hopefully y'all will be aroused to enough curiousity to do a quick google for it.

And if not, that's your perogative.

-TheE-

You explained it before... A loooong time ago.

Edit - Just read Latrinsorm's post. Beat me to it.

[Edited on 12-18-2005 by Hulkein]

Miss X
12-18-2005, 05:19 PM
I looked it up once (yes, I am that geeky!)

HarmNone
12-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Ravenstorm

... bet your bippy...

Bippy?

*looks that up in his Funk & Wagnall's*

Raven

Yes, bippy, Bird! Even birds have bippies; albeit, very smaaaalll bippies. :whistle: