PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

Janarth
11-28-2005, 09:18 AM
So my psuedo father told me get him a laptop while he was away in London. He's paying, lets not be silly, but I'm not about to just spend hundreds. Anyone have suggestions for economical laptops with good functionality? I don't need to run itunes, a movie editor, five forums, GS and doom at the same time, but it does have to run a lot of business stuff fast, and most important, reliably. He's always got bloomberg running, some word documents, his e-mail etc. I've always been partial to ibm thinkpads, and he hasn't used a mac since the ol Apple 2GS, so...you'd need a strong argument to make me go that route. So...what should I be looking for?

AnticorRifling
11-28-2005, 09:27 AM
If he's just going to be running office suite + some internet + some email then you really can't go wrong with any laptop. Just look for 2 things...

1) XP Pro (home in a pinch but if it's a business machine go with pro)

2) Memory - Drop 1GB of RAM in this mother.

Other than that I would look for around a 40GB HDD and the video card, etc doesn't really matter.

Gan
11-28-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm very disappointed in the Dell Latitude line. Well, parts of it. I'm impressed with its ability to handle multiple apps (Outlook, IE, Powerpoint, Excel, etc) but am very disappointed with its reliability.

I'm on HD #3 (first 2 crashed within months of acquisition) and now I've got spooky keys and a broken screen anchor on one side. The rubber cushions on the bottom are glued on with a glue that can not withstand the high temps a laptop puts out and they've disappeared (Dell shipped me more, I superglued these on with greater success). This particular model (D600) has been replaced by the D610, I hope they've corrected some of the more glaring issues.

My next laptop will probably be an IBM if I can have a say in what my company buys me.

AnticorRifling
11-28-2005, 09:32 AM
We only run HP-Compaq desktops/laptops here at work and I see few hardware defects from them, I also run a few at home with no problems. You can consider them with my blessing.

Gan
11-28-2005, 09:37 AM
I have an older Compaq presario that I had bought the wife back in 2000 for her undergrad. It was a tank, and its still going strong being used by a friend of the family as her undergrad laptop for her dormroom (email, internet, word processor)

HP/Compaq is definately one to consider. I like the swivel screen option where you can flip it up and write on it. I've heard that they have improved that hinge/connector so it wont break so easily too.

Wezas
11-28-2005, 09:38 AM
I'll say Dell, Bob will say Emachines, and others will come in with their opinions.

If you do like the Dell route, the Inspiron 6000 might be the way to go.

I saw that Dell is still having the deal on laptops from last week:
$250 off $999 Inspiron Notebook computer
$500 off $1499 Inspiron Notebook computer
$750 off $1999 Inspiron Notebook computer

Intel Pentium M Processor 740 (1.73ghz)
XP Home
15.4" Widescreen
1gb DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 64mb
60gb 5400rpm HD
8x CD/DVD burner
802.11b/g 54Mbps wireless network card
1 year limited warranty

:;edited to add price of $1092::

Small business might have better deals. Poke around their site and customize away.

[Edited on 11-28-2005 by Wezas]

Janarth
11-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Ganalon
My next laptop will probably be an IBM if I can have a say in what my company buys me.

I personally have always been against Dell and Gateway. While I'ver never owned one, helping buddies in school with their computers and dealing with their service has made me very skeptical of these companies. I think the last dozen computers my family has bought have all been IBM, save my last desktop which was an HP media center. IBM tends to be pricey though, and I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck.

Janarth
11-28-2005, 10:27 AM
I'll start looking around. I know my company just upgraded our network...I think we're no longer 10/100 but something faster? Do they offer laptops with faster ethernet cards? What about that wireless internet service they have in some cities now?

Wezas
11-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Janarth
I'll start looking around. I know my company just upgraded our network...I think we're no longer 10/100 but something faster? Do they offer laptops with faster ethernet cards? What about that wireless internet service they have in some cities now?

gigabit, 10/100/1000
it's usually an option that's only a few bucks more.

As for the wi-fi, I haven't tried it personally so I couldn't tell you. But I steal people's bandwidth constantly when I'm in a remote area. Just have your firewall up and don't name your laptop anything tracable.

Latrinsorm
11-28-2005, 11:17 AM
I've never had a problem with my IBM thinkpad, and I've used the crap out of it for 2.5 years. I don't know what their customer service is like.

Conversely, every Dell the family's ever had has gone straight down the crapper in 2 years tops. Those were all desktops, but I can't imagine their laptops would be better. You get what you pay for.

fallenSaint
11-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Janarth

Gigabit is still kind of a hit and miss with some Laptop companies depending on who you go with you may not have the option of getting it built in, then again if it’s a MUST have you can get a expansion card for it via PCM/CIA port.

As far as the wireless internet goes there are some different setups: Local provider such as the one I use sets up a wireless antenna on your house to receive the signal then dials it into a router with their configuration and you just connect into it like you would DSL or Cable setup, the wireless part is only from the Provider to your House cant actually pick it up from the laptop wirelessly. Cellular Providers on the other hand offer services of the such where you buy a PCM/CIA modem from them and snap into the ol PC to dial out through such as Verizon’s and Sprint’s EVDO network which is the hot shit on the market currently. Some companies like Sony have laptops with built in modems for Cingular and the such but Id frown on that being as who knows when you want to upgrade that feature or change providers.

Now something else you might want to look for in the laptop besides the gig of ram that Anticor suggested which is a good idea for multiple apps, but bluetooth is also a useful feature for those who are business related and tote around the PDA. Wireless syncing and transfer from laptop to PDA of Calendar and Phonebook and the such is so very nice, not to mention a wireless mouse and other accessories are a nifty feature.

As for brand name I’m eternally sold on Sony’s Sub Notebook category as they pack plenty of power with great battery life and crisp screens in a very small package that can slip into most briefcases or bookbags. I currently own the TR series which has worked wonderfully for me.

/deposits two silvers.