PDA

View Full Version : Chairman of House Intelligence subcommittee convicted

xtc
11-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham (Republican) pleaded guilty Monday to conspiracy and tax charges, admitting taking $2.4 million in bribes in a case that grew from an investigation into the sale of his home to a wide-ranging conspiracy involving payments in cash, vacations and antiques.

The Republicans are scandal ridden right now.

CNN Story (http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/28/congressman.shouse.ap/index.html)

Wezas
11-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by xtc
Randy "Duke" pleaded guilty Monday

I wonder if Mortimer is next.

http://teacherweb.ftl.pinecrest.edu/crawfor/apmacro/Trading/dukes.jpg

Gan
11-28-2005, 02:34 PM
"He did the worst thing an elected official can do -- he enriched himself through his position and violated the trust of those who put him there," U.S. Attorney Carol Lam said.

I hope he gets jail time and has all of his congressional 'perks' like the congressional pension plan and the congressional medical plan revoked.

Now lets see how many Republican bashing posts will follow.

xtc
11-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Ganalon
"He did the worst thing an elected official can do -- he enriched himself through his position and violated the trust of those who put him there," U.S. Attorney Carol Lam said.

I hope he gets jail time and has all of his congressional 'perks' like the congressional pension plan and the congressional medical plan revoked.

Now lets see how many Republican bashing posts will follow.

I think the problem is that Bush said he would bring back honour to the Whitehouse and although he personally hasn't been indicted on any charges many within the party have.

In Toronto we have a similiar problem with our geeky Mayor. The prior city council was scandal & corruption ridden. When the new geeky Mayor was elected, he held up a broom announcing he was going to clean things up. He then mounted that broom on his office wall (shown in all photo ops). A year and 1/2 later his government has been filled with charges of scandal and corruption. Although he personally has been accused they are his people. It makes him seem hypocritical.

DeV
11-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Ganalon
Now lets see how many Republican bashing posts will follow. They're doing it to themselves. No fuel required.

Skirmisher
11-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by DeV
They're doing it to themselves. No fuel required.

Ding ding ding. :yes:

Wezas
11-28-2005, 04:16 PM
Lying about getting a Blowjob vs. Half of the people you hired being indicted.

xtc
11-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Wezas

I am no fan of Bush but Clinton had a ton of scandals as well.

Clinton:

RECORDS SET

- The only president ever impeached on grounds of personal malfeasance
- Most number of convictions and guilty pleas by friends and associates*
- Most number of cabinet officials to come under criminal investigation
- Most number of witnesses to flee country or refuse to testify
- Most number of witnesses to die suddenly
- First president sued for sexual harassment.
- First president accused of rape.
- First first lady to come under criminal investigation
- Largest criminal plea agreement in an illegal campaign contribution case
- First president to establish a legal defense fund.
- First president to be held in contempt of court
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions from abroad
- First president disbarred from the US Supreme Court and a state court

SOURCE (http://prorev.com/legacy.htm)

[Edited on 11-28-2005 by xtc]

Wezas
11-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Well I guess we can't compare Bush when it comes to "first" because Clinton was president first. But as for some of the "mosts" - we still have 3 more years of Bush. Give him time to catch up.

Tromp
11-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by xtc

Clinton:

RECORDS SET

Yeah real good source there.

Ok given the above wouldn't the Republicans learn from someone else's mistakes or at least set a better example rather than try and trump it?

Compare him to Clinton all you want but the Republican's are making their own bed now. When people compare today to the Clinton years just kinda sounds to me like a the kid you just want to bitch slap in the face due to the obsessive whining.

I'm just glad it isn't Bush being indicted for anything yet just for the fact that the US already looks idiotic in the eyes of the world.

Rant complete.

xtc
11-28-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Tromp

Originally posted by xtc

Clinton:

RECORDS SET

Yeah real good source there.

Ok given the above wouldn't the Republicans learn from someone else's mistakes or at least set a better example rather than try and trump it?

Compare him to Clinton all you want but the Republican's are making their own bed now. When people compare today to the Clinton years just kinda sounds to me like a the kid you just want to bitch slap in the face due to the obsessive whining.

I'm just glad it isn't Bush being indicted for anything yet just for the fact that the US already looks idiotic in the eyes of the world.

Rant complete.

I have stated many times my dislike for Bush and his administration. However some people here like to pretend that Clinton was holier than thou. The discussion was about indictment and scandals not policy. Clinton's administration was rife with them as well. I realise the source is biased but it was the best I could do with short notice. If any of their claims are false, please point out which ones.

ElanthianSiren
11-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Tromp, think about this.... if Bush was indicted and found guilty and removed, we would then have Cheyney. If Cheyney's removed, we'd then have the last american virgin at the helm.

:O

-M
(suddenly bush doesn't look so bad, does he?)

[Edited on Mon, November th, 2005 by ElanthianSiren]

Tromp
11-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by xtc

I have stated many times my dislike for Bush and his administration. However some people here like to pretend that Clinton was holier than thou. The discussion was about indictment and scandals not policy. Clinton's administration was rife with them as well. I realise the source is biased but it was the best I could do with short notice. If any of their claims are false, please point out which ones.

Sorry XTC for pigeon holing you.

Tromp
11-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by ElanthianSiren
Tromp, think about this.... if Bush was indicted and found guilty and removed, we would then have Cheyney. If Cheyney's removed, we'd then have the last american virgin at the helm.

:O

-M
(suddenly bush doesn't look so bad, does he?)

[Edited on Mon, November th, 2005 by ElanthianSiren]

I didn't know you were the speaker of the house?

Latrinsorm
11-28-2005, 05:41 PM
the last american virgin at the helm.
:sees Tromp already made this joke:

:(

I'm at least 30% more virginal than Melissa. I mean come on, the ball weights alone.

Skirmisher
11-28-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by xtc
I realise the source is biased but it was the best I could do with short notice. If any of their claims are false, please point out which ones.

* According to our best information, 40 government officials were indicted or convicted in the wake of Watergate. A reader computes that there was a total of 31 Reagan era convictions, including 14 because of Iran-Contra and 16 in the Department of Housing & Urban Development scandal. 47 individuals and businesses associated with the Clinton machine were convicted of or pleaded guilty to crimes with 33 of these occurring during the Clinton administration itself. There were in addition 61 indictments or misdemeanor charges. 14 persons were imprisoned. A key difference between the Clinton story and earlier ones was the number of criminals with whom he was associated before entering the White House.

Using a far looser standard that included resignations, David R. Simon and D. Stanley Eitzen in Elite Deviance, say that 138 appointees of the Reagan administration either resigned under an ethical cloud or were criminally indicted. Curiously Haynes Johnson uses the same figure but with a different standard in "Sleep-Walking Through History: America in the Reagan Years: "By the end of his term, 138 administration officials had been convicted, had been indicted, or had been the subject of official investigations for official misconduct and/or criminal violations. In terms of number of officials involved, the record of his administration was the worst ever."
First of all these numbers were compiled by"A reader". That would really enough for me to toss them aside but then reading on they refute their own assertion later on.

Hardly telling evidence.

Sean of the Thread
11-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm

the last american virgin at the helm.
:sees Tromp already made this joke:

:(

I'm at least 30% more virginal than Melissa. I mean come on, the ball weights alone.

VOTE 4 ME!! LARGE POOLS FOR EVERY HOME!