PDA

View Full Version : Bush wanted to bomb Al Jazeera news

xtc
11-24-2005, 11:28 AM
It looks like Bush wanted to bomb the headquarters of Al Jazeera television in Qatar which is our ally. Tony Blair talked him out of it. Details of a Downing Street memo was leaked to the British media. The British Government's top lawyer warned media outlets that they are breaking the law if they publish details of the memo.

Daily Mirror story (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/latest/tm_objectid=16406400%26method=full%26siteid=94762-name_page.html)

Al Jazeera's headquarters in Iraq were bombed. The American Government has always claimed that bombing was an accident. In light of recent revelations the widow of a journalist who was killed in the bombing is considering suing the U.S. Government.

Daily Mirror Story 2 (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=16407582&method=full&siteid=94762&head line=iraq-wife--to-sue-u-s---name_page.html)

[Edited on 11-24-2005 by xtc]

Sean of the Thread
11-24-2005, 11:30 AM
How bout some better sources.

xtc
11-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Xyelin
How bout some better sources.

The British media is one of the best in the world. Stop being so myopic. But for you here is a CNN story.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/11/23/britain.jazeera/

Here is an Australia paper that ran the story:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17353229%255E663,00.html

and here is another British news source

http://www.newstatesman.com/200511280001

The Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/22/AR2005112201784.html

The Globe and Mail (Canada)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051122.wjazeer1122/BNStory/International/?query=Bush+bomb+memo

Gan
11-24-2005, 11:52 AM
They should have used this...

StrayRogue
11-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Hmmm, yes it must be fake because if it wasn't the editors of the times, the mirror, and several other BIG papers wouldn't be getting threatened with section 5 breaches would they? Hang on a minute...

Latrinsorm
11-24-2005, 03:16 PM
These stories never change. Nobody ever has the actual document/memo/minutes. All we get is second (or in this case, fifth) hand allegations. Bush -> Blair -> Blair's office -> some guy named Tony Clarke -> the Mirror. The administrations rattle their sabers, the news people back off. Rinse, repeat.

xtc
11-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm
These stories never change. Nobody ever has the actual document/memo/minutes. All we get is second (or in this case, fifth) hand allegations. Bush -> Blair -> Blair's office -> some guy named Tony Clarke -> the Mirror. The administrations rattle their sabers, the news people back off. Rinse, repeat.

Tony Clarke = British MP

So what do we have to suggest this story is the truth?

1. Al Jazeera offices in Iraq were bombed by American troops. The U.S. Government said it was accidental.

2. The British Government is threatening to sue the Daily Mirror or any other newspaper who leaks information regarding the memo.

3. and then we have the very damning evidence:

"Leo O'Connor, who used to work for Clarke, and civil servant David Keogh were charged last Thursday under the Official Secrets Act with making a "damaging disclosure of a document relating to international relations"

If the allegations weren't true, the British Government never would have laid the charges, because no crime would have been comitted.

Frank White
11-24-2005, 03:58 PM
I say they should have bombed Al-Jazeera. Those newsfolk do nothing but spread terrorist and radical muslim propaganda. With all the things that Al-Jazeera has skewed and publicized irresponsibly, how many deaths have come from it? Remember when Al-Jazeera made a big 'expose' on Abu Ghraib? How many MORE people were murdered in retaliation? Lots. Fuck Al-Jazeera, bomb the shit out of those with cameras and may they burn and hell.

[Edited on 11-24-2005 by HarmNone]

xtc
11-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Frank White
I say they should have bombed Al-Jazeera. Those newsfolk do nothing but spread terrorist and radical muslim propaganda. With all the things that Al-Jazeera has skewed and publicized irresponsibly, how many deaths have come from it? Remember when Al-Jazeera made a big 'expose' on Abu Ghraib? How many MORE people were murdered in retaliation? Lots. Fuck Al-Jazeera, bomb the shit out of those with cameras and may they burn and hell.

You really are an ignorant fuck with no knowledge.

[Edited on 11-24-2005 by HarmNone]

Back
11-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Al-Jazeera offices were bombed in both Baghdad and Afghanistan during those invasions. Yet Al-Jazeera quit Iraq after Iraq banned two correspondents. To quote one of their spokespeople...

"We faced lots of things like that before from the Iraqi Government and from other governments in the Arab region, because this is a way they think. They think they can impose some conditions on Al-Jazeera or they think they can change the reporters, they can put their own criteria on our work."

Seems to me if someone is indicted and newspapers are being warned not to print the actual contents of the memo of face indictments themselves there has to be some truth to it.

Sean of the Thread
11-24-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Backlash
Al-Jazeera offices were bombed in both Baghdad and Afghanistan during those invasions. Yet Al-Jazeera quit Iraq after Iraq banned two correspondents. To quote one of their spokespeople...

"We faced lots of things like that before from the Iraqi Government and from other governments in the Arab region, because this is a way they think. They think they can impose some conditions on Al-Jazeera or they think they can change the reporters, they can put their own criteria on our work."

Seems to me if someone is indicted and newspapers are being warned not to print the actual contents of the memo of face indictments themselves there has to be some truth to it.

IMHO the mirror sucks dick.. and that was my shit with the original post. I havn't read about or followed this string as I have better things to do but I also believe that WAR requires things that pussies may not like..

Deal with it?

Back
11-24-2005, 10:39 PM
That attitude of just accepting that things are just the way they are is bullshit. We would not have come out of the trees if that was the generally accepted rule.

xtc
11-24-2005, 10:41 PM

IMHO the mirror sucks dick.. and that was my shit with the original post. I havn't read about or followed this string as I have better things to do but I also believe that WAR requires things that pussies may not like..

Deal with it?

You wouldn't know a good news source if you tripped over it. I posted numerous other sources of the story.

People have been charged under The Official Secrets Act in England. If what they leaked wasn't true they couldn't be charged.

Well then, I guess using your logic Fox News is a legitimate target for the Iraqis to bomb. If Fox compalins I will let them know they are a bunch of pussies. Also I guess the victims of 9-11 were a bunch of pussies.

Gan
11-24-2005, 11:13 PM
That attitude of just accepting that things are just the way they are is bullshit. We would not have come out of the trees if that was the generally accepted rule.

Only the ones who could see the forest for the trees ever made it out.

Sean of the Thread
11-24-2005, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by xtc

Deal with it?

You wouldn't know a good news source if you tripped over it. I posted numerous other sources of the story.

People have been charged under The Official Secrets Act in England. If what they leaked wasn't true they couldn't be charged.

Well then, I guess using your logic Fox News is a legitimate target for the Iraqis to bomb. If Fox compalins I will let them know they are a bunch of pussies. Also I guess the victims of 9-11 were a bunch of pussies.

Defensive are ya? I just said I didn't like the Mirror. You sighted no other sources in the original post.

p.s. (u r douche)

StrayRogue
11-25-2005, 05:19 AM
There are about four papers in the UK running the story, including a myriad of local papers. I read it first in the MEN, then the Times, then on the BBC website.

xtc
11-25-2005, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by xtc

Deal with it?

Defensive are ya? I just said I didn't like the Mirror. You sighted no other sources in the original post.

p.s. (u r douche)

I posted numerous other sources of the story in my follow up post.

People were arrested in England under the Official Secrets Act. If what they leaked to the Mirror wasn't true they couldn't have been arrested for it.

I am aware that war isn't pretty, regardless of my beliefs about this war. I don't think it should include the deliberate bombing of news offices and innocent civilians.

I have been called much worse than a douche. I was having a crappy night and couldn't find a beast in a wheel chair to keep me company.

Wezas
11-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Frank White

I wonder if I use that logic I can get away with bombing Fox News.

Unique
11-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Wezas
I wonder if I use that logic I can get away with bombing Fox News.

Please test the theory.

Unique.

Back
11-25-2005, 01:43 PM
This war has seen the most casualties (love that fluffy term) amongst the press than any other war past.

And today’s press dosen’t seem to care much because you won’t find any stories about it on your evening news whether its FOX, CNN, the broadcast networks or even BBC.

Reporters Without Borders (http://www.rsf.org/content.php3)

Hulkein
11-25-2005, 01:51 PM
This war also has more journalists in the middle of it, I would assume.

Back
11-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Perhaps. But we now have “embedded” journalists as compared to the past. Judith Miller was one whose stories turned out to be complete bullshit. Geraldo was as well until he caught caught drawing lines in the sand in Afghanistan.

See a media suppression pattern here by whom if not the media themselves?

hectomaner
11-25-2005, 02:17 PM
i think bush should bomb these fuckers. these guys are the scum of the earth

xtc
11-26-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by hectomaner

and the award for defending Freedom of the Press goes to......drum roll please.....hectomaner.

Hectomaner please say a few words...

"Well 1984 is my favourite novel and I think the American Government should control all sources of news. Any sources that don't spew American propaganda should immediately be bombed."

.....and hectormaner has also won some special door prizes. A nice t-shirt from our friends at FOX and a box set of the complete first season of Bill O'Reilly.

[Edited on 11-26-2005 by xtc]

Skirmisher
11-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by hectomaner

Do that and you legitimize making any and all US reporters and agencies into targets also.

ElanthianSiren
11-26-2005, 04:40 PM
not to mention validating claims of abuse by agencies that may or may not fuel the insurgency.

In the age of technology, it astounds me that military leaders still believe that transgressions will remain hidden.

-M

Gan
11-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by xtc
and the award for defending Freedom of the Press goes to......drum roll please.....hectomaner.

"Well 1984 is my favourite novel and I think the American Government should control all sources of news. Any sources that don't spew American propaganda should immediately be bombed."

.....and hectormaner has also won some special door prizes. A nice t-shirt from our friends at FOX and a box set of the complete first season of Bill O'Reilly.

This program brought to you by...

Skirmisher
11-26-2005, 08:50 PM
:shrug: I like trees.
Real attached to the whole oxygen thing.

Back
11-26-2005, 09:39 PM
The one and only time I ever hugged a tree in my life I was bitten by something. The poison was so terrible I had to be carried off the bus by a stranger as I was inconsolable and not in my full faculties. This happened in first to third grade. It was terrible.

Other kids told me it was an asp. I now know that asps are snakes. Generic term. Mythical as well. It quite possibly could have been a snake because I dont think a bug would have had the juice to inflict that sort of dementia. What is curious to me is that other kids knew this term. This was during the Carter administration so I blame him.

xtc
11-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Ganalon

Originally posted by xtc

This program brought to you by...

I am not sure how objecting to a plan to bomb a new agency equates to being a tree hugger.

Warriorbird
11-27-2005, 01:27 PM
The End of Days is coming so we don't need oxygen or an atmosphere. Jesus will save us all even if we destroy the planet.

StrayRogue
11-27-2005, 01:29 PM
All praise Jesus.