PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new computer

Atlanteax
11-23-2005, 10:23 AM
I was planning on purchasing a new computer.

As I have been satisfied with the performance of my now 3-years-old Dell desktop computer...

... I figured I would go to their website and look to purchase one there.

However, there does not seem to be a way to customize your desktop to be ordered.

Did Dell decide to do away with that feature?

I'm not too keen on being "stuck" with an established package specfication.

So I guess in the meantime, I'll head over to BestBuy on Friday and see what desktops are available there.

I noticed that a decently high-end desktop on the Dell website runs around $1500, so that's probably a good price range for me to keep in mind when browsing at the stores.

Anyone got specific advice, or an explanation why Dell no longer has the feature to customize desktops?

Sean of the Thread
11-23-2005, 10:31 AM
My advice is quit the internet... we don't need your types in our lil "neighborhood" but if if you must make sure the rebate includes a free tie from Sears.
That being said.

What do you want your machine for? Work? (what type of work) gaming? (what type of gaming) WebCam CyborrsexxoRing :pig: (don't advise the latter)...

Need some details then I others can help.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 10:32 AM
http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_T6524

No competition.

Atlanteax
11-23-2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Xyelin
My advice is quit the internet... we don't need your types in our lil "neighborhood" but if if you must make sure the rebate includes a free tie from Sears.
That being said.

What do you want your machine for? Work? (what type of work) gaming? (what type of gaming) WebCam CyborrsexxoRing :pig: (don't advise the latter)...

Need some details then I others can help.

Gaming, of course.

I reckon that a lot of my slowed-performance gaming experience with the more current games will be retified with a 256k graphic card, up from the 32 or 64 I have currently.
I also reckon that the standard harddrive available will be more than enough to handle all the programs I will want to keep on it, my current harddrive is probably 1/5 the size of what is available now ... so that will help with not having to uninstall to make room for new installs.

Price is not an issue.

Atlanteax
11-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_T6524

No competition.

That would not be much of an upgrade over my current computer.

Dell has a far superior one available at $1500.

Sean of the Thread
11-23-2005, 10:44 AM
He was joking as emachines blow donkey dick.

Trouble
11-23-2005, 10:46 AM
You can customize desktops at dell still. It takes a couple of links to get down to it, but there is still the option.

Skeeter
11-23-2005, 10:46 AM
Love my Alienware. Keep an eye out for good sales and rebates as they are a bit over priced.

They ran a good rebate deal last Christmas, and I got a good machine for around your budget. Of course I didn't get my rebate check till like July.

but <3 my cpu.

Showal
11-23-2005, 10:47 AM
I dont think bob was joking about the emachine as he has one.

Atlanteax
11-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Trouble
You can customize desktops at dell still. It takes a couple of links to get down to it, but there is still the option.

I spent 30 minutes at work looking for it. It's either well-hidden or unavailable.

Jayvn
11-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Bob can take his Emachine to the local incinerator sp? and put it to good use as fodder... I think at this point buy any computer from any store would be an upgrade from my 450... :whistle: but I don't need it for much other than gemstone and the occasional video stealing, plus I can just slap in a 2nd slave drive for more space if i need it.. :Shrug: what was the old desktop anyway?

Wezas
11-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Atlanteax
Gaming, of course.

I reckon that a lot of my slowed-performance gaming experience with the more current games will be retified with a 256k graphic card, up from the 32 or 64 I have currently.
I also reckon that the standard harddrive available will be more than enough to handle all the programs I will want to keep on it, my current harddrive is probably 1/5 the size of what is available now ... so that will help with not having to uninstall to make room for new installs.

Price is not an issue.

First of all, it's in megabites.

Dell still offers customization. here's an XPS:~1600 if you hook it up nice (http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=dimxps6min &s=bsd)

$1498 (not sure if the settings/options will carry over in the link) (http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=dim915hi&s =bsd)
Pentium® 4 Processor 540 w/HT Technology (3.2GHz, 800FSB)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs
2 Year On-site Economy Plan
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability
20 inch Ultrasharp™ 2001FP Digital Flat Panel (I assume you wanted a monitor too, if not, both of these PC's will go down ~$200ish)
256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

And of course always use Dell Small Business instead of Dell Home. Much better deals, there's usually coupon codes, and the base service warranty is usually on-site.

Coupon code: NKPNMVHJ?TM?0W
30% off $1499 Dimension Desktop computer, code: NKPNMVHJ?TM?0W

They expire quickly though.

[Edited on 11-23-2005 by Wezas]

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 10:59 AM
<<Dell has a far superior one available at $1500.>>

This is $600. You can upgrade it and save money, stupid.

Edit: My computer, for $500, has 128MB video, 512MB RAM, 200GB HDD, 2.2 GHz AMD 3400+ processor. Try buying that from Dell for under $800. When I upgrade it for like $160, it's going to be better than a $1200 Dell.

[Edited on 11-23-2005 by Bobmuhthol]

Leetahkin
11-23-2005, 11:00 AM
You guys are making me want to price laptops again. I'm trying so hard to leave the money alone I have saved up for London and not spend it on a computer. :rant:

Sean of the Thread
11-23-2005, 11:06 AM
http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Sony_VAIO_Digital_Studio_PCV_RZ32G

This is round 500ish and will do you right. If you can find a PCV rz-401cb they're at a great gaming unit as well.

If I buy proprietary it is either Dell or Vaio.

Skeeter
11-23-2005, 11:10 AM
You can have this

[1] Area-51® ALX

Processor: Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition 840 w/ HT 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with Service Pack 2
Warranty: 3-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support with Onsite Service
Automated Support: AlienAutopsy: Automated Technical Support Request System
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 850 SLI
Chassis: Alienware® ALX Full-Tower Case - Space Black
Chassis Upgrades: Alienware® Acoustic Dampening with AlienIce™ 2.0 Video Cooling
Motherboard: Alienware® nForce™4 SLI™ Intel Edition Chipset Motherboard PCI Express SLI
Graphics Processor: Dual 512MB PCI-Express x16 NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7800 GTX - SLI Enabled
Video Optimizer: AlienAdrenaline: Video Performance Optimizer
Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 4 x 1024MB
System Drive: Extreme Performance (RAID 0) - 1TB RAID0 (2 x 500GB Serial ATA-II 3Gb 7,200 RPM w/16MB Cache)
Storage Drive: Additional Storage Drive - 1TB (500GB x 2) Serial ATA-II 3Gb 7,200 RPM w/32MB Cache
AlienRespawn: Alienware® Respawn Recovery Kit
Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive w/LightScribe Technology
Secondary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive w/LightScribe Technology
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi® XtremeMusic High Definition 7.1 Surround Sound
Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Gigabit Ethernet
Portable Storage : Alienware® 10-in-1 Digital Media Reader / Writer
Security Software: Norton™ AntiVirus™ 2004 Professional Edition
ALX Heavy Duty Power Cable: Alienware® ALX System Power Cable
ALX High Performance Network Cable: Alienware® ALX Network Cable
Thermal Management System: Alienware® ALX Active Liquid Cooling System
Performance-Enhancement: Alienware® ALX Graphics Performance-Enhancement
Visual Interface: Samsung SyncMaster 242MP 24" HDCP Ready Wide LCD TV/Monitor - Quad Displays
Keyboard & Mouse: Microsoft® Multimedia Keyboard & Mouse - Space Black
ALX Wireless Keyboard and Mouse: Alienware® ALX Wireless Optical Desktop Elite by Microsoft®
Power Protection: Opti-UPS ES1500C 1400VA (980W Capacity)
Power Protection: Tripp Lite LC1200
LCD Display Stands: Moview® Dual LCD Monitor Stand
External Storage: Western Digital® Dual-Option 250GB External Drive
Web Cameras: Logitech® QuickCam Orbit
USB Lighted Cables: 15' USB 2.0 Cable with Blue LEDs
ALX Out Of Box Experience: Exclusive Alienware® ALX Items
Thumb Drives: Alienware® USB 2.0 4GB Flash Drive
Alienware Exclusive Offers: Gamespot Complete - Free 90-day Trial (a $20.85 value)
Alienware Exclusive Offers: 10% off your next EB Games online purchase
Free Alienware T-Shirt: Free Alienware® ALX T-Shirt - Black
Free Alienware Mousepad: Free Alienware® ALX Mousepad (a $19.99 Value!)
Desktop Enhancements: Exclusive AlienGUIse Theme Manager
AlienInspection: AlienInspection - Exclusive Integration and Inspection - $99.99 Value - FREE!

for the low low price of 17k. since money is no object

DeV
11-23-2005, 11:17 AM

This is round 500ish and will do you right. If you can find a PCV rz-401cb they're at a great gaming unit as well.

If I buy proprietary it is either Dell or Vaio. I am very seriously thinking of purchasing a Sony Vaio to replace my current computer. I recently purchased one of their laptop models for playing games away from home and have had no complaints whatsoever. The Vaio is worth considering, though Dell would probably be my second choice.

DeV
11-23-2005, 11:30 AM
He was joking as emachines blow donkey dick. This is funny because two girls I used to date at the same time both had eMachines that were far less superior than any computer I'd ever laid hands on. (not really but it was downright sad) It was ridiculous the amount of time I spent upgrading their machines because eMachines thought it a great idea to include the crappy ass Windows ME in their booty ass computers. At least that was the case with the models they both had. It looks like they've been listening to the customer complaints about their older models. They are making a decent effort it seems.

Wezas
11-23-2005, 11:31 AM
<<Dell has a far superior one available at $1500.>>

This is $600. You can upgrade it and save money, stupid.

Edit: My computer, for $500, has 128MB video, 512MB RAM, 200GB HDD, 2.2 GHz AMD 3400+ processor. Try buying that from Dell for under $800. When I upgrade it for like $160, it's going to be better than a $1200 Dell.

If you go with a barebones 9150:

3.2ghz > 2.2ghz
XP Home vs. ??
1gb > 512mb
1 year on-site vs. ???
160gb HDD > 220gb HDD
48x CD-R/DVD-ROM vs. ???
128mb PCIeVideo Card = 128mb Video Card
Integrated 7.1 vs. ???

$650

Sean of the Thread
11-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by DeV

If I buy proprietary it is either Dell or Vaio. I am very seriously thinking of purchasing a Sony Vaio to replace my current computer. I recently purchased one of their laptop models for playing games away from home and have had no complaints whatsoever. The Vaio is worth considering, though Dell would probably be my second choice.

For around 2,000 you can get a Sony VGC-VA10G complete. If I drop 2k for a system it is a Vaio as I can build a pimp daddy machine to my liking and it will come out to about 2k as well.

Sean of the Thread
11-23-2005, 11:32 AM
Remember nublets to make sure you get a H/T cpu FTW.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 11:34 AM
My computer has 60x CD-RW and 4x DVD+-RW, Wezas. Warranties are for pussies (this has 1 year anyway), and it would cost far less than $150 to get a shitty 128MB video card and 512MB RAM. Also:

<<160gb HDD > 220gb HDD>>

????????????????

My computer has 200, and that is > 160.

<<3.2ghz > 2.2ghz
XP Home vs. ??>>

2.2GHz AMD ATHLON 3400+. That's better than a 3.2GHz P4. XP Home SP2.

Wezas
11-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by DeV
It was ridiculous the amount of time I spent upgrading their machines because eMachines thought it a great idea to include the crappy ass Windows ME in their booty ass computers.

Hence why Bob's old PC = teh suxor. eMachines FTL

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 11:36 AM
<<Hence why Bob's old PC = teh suxor.>>

My old PC was good, first of all. It was XP Home SP1 and could have been VERY easily upgraded. It was cheaper, though, to just buy a new eMachines computer than to upgrade to the specs of one.

Wezas
11-23-2005, 11:36 AM
Also:

<<160gb HDD > 220gb HDD>>

????????????????

My computer has 200, and that is > 160.

My bad on the wrong way. I had a 250gb option for an extra $70, but I wanted to get the price down further.

You didn't supply what your PC had - which is why I left them ???.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 11:39 AM
http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_T6412

I'm using this machine right now, and I can play WoW with it. I only have problems going into places like Orgrimmar.

If you show me any computer with AGP video, I am going to laugh in your face and declare my computer the winner. 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 cards are like $120.

Skirmisher
11-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Windows ME. :cry:

E-Machines are supposed to be much better than their old rep, but I don't know if I would risk one still, maybe in another year if they still show improvement though I would.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 11:43 AM
One thing I do suggest, and this applies for any computer: get the drivers for the machine, format the hard drive, and install a fresh copy of your OS. It is so absolutely fucking terrible buying new computers because of all the shit preinstalled.

DeV
11-23-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Skirmisher
Windows ME. :cry:
Precisely.

Atlanteax
11-23-2005, 11:46 AM
Okay, this is what I've added to my cart. Going to think on it a bit before I finalize the order/purchase.

Unit Price: $3,787

Dimension 9150
Pentium® D Processor 840 with Dual Core Technology (3.20GHz, 800FSB), Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

BASE SYSTEM OPTIONS
Processor Pentium® D Processor 840 with Dual Core Technology (3.20GHz, 800FSB) Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Operating System Backup & Recovery PC Restore recovery system by Symantec
Memory 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 4DIMMs
Dell Service & Support Plans 2 Year On-site Economy Plan
Mail-In Rebate None
Keyboard No Keyboard
Mouse No Mouse

SOFTWARE OPTIONS
Productivity Software Pre-Installed Microsoft Office Small Business Ed. : Basic plus PowerPoint and Publisher
Security Software Pre-Installed McAfee SecurityCenter with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-months
Financial Software Pre-Installed No QuickBooks package selected
Document Management Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0

STORAGE AND DRIVES
Hard Drives 500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
CD or DVD Drive Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 48x CD-RW Drive
Enhanced Software for CD or DVD Burner None
Floppy Drive and Media Reader 3.5 in Floppy Drive

MONITORS AND MULTI-MEDIA
Monitors 24 inch UltraSharp™ 2405FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
Video Cards 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX
Sound Card Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D), w/Dolby® Digital 5.1
Speakers Dell AS501 10W Flat Panel Attached Spkrs for UltraSharp™ Flat Panels
Digitial Music Musicmatch by Yahoo!™ Music - Entry level music software
Digital Photography Corel Photo Album™ 6 Starter Edition

NETWORKING AND INTERNET OPTIONS
Modem 56K PCI Data Fax Modem
Internet Access Service 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
Network Interface Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 11:47 AM

Holy shit.

I want Atlanteax to adopt me right about now.

Brattt8525
11-23-2005, 11:49 AM
>>Security Software Pre-Installed McAfee SecurityCenter with VirusScan<<<

Geek Squad guys told me that sucked and to use Norton, is it really as useless as they say?

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 11:50 AM
McAfee and Norton are both useless. Any antivirus software is useless and you should not have it running constantly. I always uninstall Norton because it refuses to shut the fuck up and takes way too many resources for its own good.

Geek Squad technicians are also stupid, for the record.

Brattt8525
11-23-2005, 11:54 AM
What do you use for virus protection then? My Norton expired and I didn't update it I ended up with two trojans and they had to wipe my computer clean, the recovery disks would not even work.

DeV
11-23-2005, 12:04 PM
I always uninstall Norton because it refuses to shut the fuck up and takes way too many resources for its own good.
Uninstalled that shit from my laptop the day I took it home. Norton is big fat pain in the ass. McAfee is less bothersome, but I agree they don't need to be run all the time.

Wezas
11-23-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Atlanteax
Unit Price: $3,787

(ouch)

First of all, if I'd known that $3700 was your range instead of $1500, I would have suggested a different model.

Second, you're not going to need 4gb of RAM before you need to upgrade your processor years down the road. I would go 2gb.
[/quote]

Before you guy buying, go to Dell Home and look at the XPS systems.

They're more of what you're looking for in that price range.

Trouble
11-23-2005, 12:38 PM
a 24-inch monitor is pretty huge... I have a 19" now and it's too big for me. I think a 20-inch widescreen would be the best option.

And yes, it does look like XPS is what you're looking for. And I agree that 2GB is more than plenty for now, unless you want to run more than one virtual machine and multi-account WoW, heh.

I keep norton on mine all the time, but I use a relatively streamlined corporate edition. I have it set to do the active protect thing, but only for file types known to carry malicious code. I use the built-in XP firewall and pop-up blockers too.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 12:44 PM
<<What do you use for virus protection then? My Norton expired and I didn't update it I ended up with two trojans and they had to wipe my computer clean, the recovery disks would not even work.>>

I have not had an ongoing antivirus program in years. I used Norton once to clear out a ton of harmless viruses I had, but I don't protect my computer at all.

Sean of the Thread
11-23-2005, 12:54 PM
<<What do you use for virus protection then? My Norton expired and I didn't update it I ended up with two trojans and they had to wipe my computer clean, the recovery disks would not even work.>>

I have not had an ongoing antivirus program in years. I used Norton once to clear out a ton of harmless viruses I had, but I don't protect my computer at all.

You protect it with common sense.

Bobmuhthol
Precisely.

Atlanteax
Amusing, when I went to customize the XPS package a bit, it went to $4300.

I think I'll stick with my original selection.

Sean of the Thread
11-23-2005, 12:55 PM
You original selection is still a waste of money. But hey it is your money after all.

Wezas
11-23-2005, 01:03 PM
My computer has 60x CD-RW

You have a link to that? Fastest CD writer I've seen is 52x, and Pricewatch has a few 54x's.

You removed the link to the eMachines page so I couldn't get more info on it.

Brattt8525
11-23-2005, 01:04 PM
>>You protect it with common sense. <<

Thanks for your input, so glad I asked for a little help.

Bobmuhthol
No, I didn't.

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_T6412

And JK on the 60x, I actually meant 40x. I got it confused with that it writes at 6,000 KB/s.

It reads DVDs at 16x, writes at 4x.

Wezas
At least change it so that you have a DVD-RW in it. It's seriously only another like $30 or $40.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 01:07 PM
<<Thanks for your input, so glad I asked for a little help.>>

He's totally right. You don't need software to protect your system. You need to just not allow yourself to be hax0red by viruses.

DeV
11-23-2005, 01:14 PM
^ True.

Ad-Aware tends to come in handy as a personal option.

Skeeter
11-23-2005, 01:30 PM

He's totally right. You don't need software to protect your system. You need to just not allow yourself to be hax0red by viruses.

don't open e-mails with attachments. don't surf for pr0n. don't use bit torrent. it's pretty easy really.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 01:35 PM
BitTorrent doesn't give you viruses. Viruses give you viruses. Use BitTorrent, don't download stupid, infected torrents.

Wezas
11-23-2005, 01:38 PM
BitTorrent doesn't give you viruses. Viruses give you viruses. Use BitTorrent, don't download stupid, infected torrents.

Good thing all the infected torrents are labeled as such.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 01:39 PM
Either I'm lucky or I have a sixth sense because I don't download viruses, and I have downloaded approaching probably 100 torrents.

I take that back, I just remembered one of the torrents had an extra file included in it called Setup.exe -- it was a trojan (I didn't need antivirus software to tell me this) that took all of deletion to eradicate.

Brattt8525
11-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Skeeter

don't open e-mails with attachments. don't surf for pr0n. don't use bit torrent. it's pretty easy really.

I don't surf for porn and the only attachments I have ever opened are from friends with pictures of family/dogs/etc. Guess I won't be doing that anymore.

Skirmisher
11-23-2005, 02:14 PM
Dell Outlet sells refurbished machines with the same warranty and decent discounts if you didn't look there yet.

Here is one i picked out real quick as an example that should be able to play any game you could currently or in near future wish to play.

Pick up a 19 inch ultra-scan flat screen monitor for like 280.00 and you're set.

I'm sure there are other deals for less or more, but spending the amount on a system like you listed a bit ago is just cukoo unless you really have money to throw away in which case get me one too!
--------------------------------------------------

System Price : $1,980.75
Promotion Discount : $300.00
Final Price : $1,680.75

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005Memory
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (4 DIMMs)Floppy Drive
1.44 MB Floppy Disk DriveHard Disk Drive
160 G (I) (7200 RPM)Video
256MB NVIDA GeForce Go 6800Sound Card
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Card w/Dolby 5.1, and IEEE 1394 capabilityCertified Refurbished
Certified RefurbishedBase
Dimension XPS 600: Pentium D Processor 830 with Dual Core Technology (3.0GHz, 800FSB)Media Bay
16X DVD ROM Drive
16x DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
Software
Photo Album 5.1 Standard
Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Reader
Microsoft Office 2003 Software Guide
Resource CD
Norton Internet Security 2005- Antivirus, Firewall, AntiSpam, 15-months
Music Match Software
QuickBooks Simple Start Special Edition
Paint Shop Pro Studio Trial
Power DVD Software
Net Zero ISP
Software
ISP Software
Support Software
Software
AOL 8.0 ISP Software
Software CD
AOL ISP Software
DVD Software
Microsoft Office Small Business 2003
AOL 9.0 ISP Software
Windows Media Player
ISP Software
AOL 9.0 ISP Software
Resource CDMisc
USB Keyboard
AOL Sofware Documentation
Labels
Audio Jack
USB 2 Button Mouse
No Raid
Shipping Material
9 in 1 Media Card Reader
No Modem Option

[Edited on 11-23-2005 by Skirmisher]

DeV
11-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Brattt8525
Guess I won't be doing that anymore. That's pretty drastic and unnecessary. I think pictures and documents from friends and family are fairly safe as long as you know they're sending it to you and you proceed with caution if you don't know who's sending you one. Proceed with caution=don't open if you don't know where it's coming from.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 02:42 PM
JPEG files can't have viruses, btw.

haha just kidding. It turns out that hackers have figured that out, too. JPEG files can contain viruses now! Hooray for Microsoft sucking!

Brattt8525
11-23-2005, 03:14 PM
>> Proceed with caution=don't open if you don't know where it's coming from. <<

See that is the problem I have never opened anything from anyone who isn't friend/family. They are all Jpegs except for my sister who just inserts the picture in her email. Well it cost me 300.00 dollars after them having to take it in and then finding out that the virus messed up where my phone line goes in.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 03:53 PM
<<the virus messed up where my phone line goes in>>

That makes no sense, and whoever told you that this happened scammed you hard. Viruses can not affect anything outside of the hard drive. Replace that (or format and replace OS), and the virus is gone.

Skirmisher
11-23-2005, 05:24 PM
<<the virus messed up where my phone line goes in>>

That makes no sense, and whoever told you that this happened scammed you hard. Viruses can not affect anything outside of the hard drive. Replace that (or format and replace OS), and the virus is gone.

Yes, either an accident took place while the computer was in your possesion which I doubt as they would just say that "it looks like a short", or "someone hit it" or whatever.

If the repair facility actually told you the virus somehow damaged your port i'd not return there unless they had a heck of an explanation to back that up.

Brattt8525
11-23-2005, 06:04 PM
They told me that the virus had corrupted my modem, I don't know any better so paid them 40 bucks to add another one. I did see them put it in so I know they did it BTW.

They told me there were the two trojans in my system and the recovery disks would not work nor doing a recovery from internally as they said I had deleted some part of that process. Which by the way I am sure I didn't as I don't go into anything deleting things except pictures I have put on cds.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Viruses do not corrupt modems ever. Your modem may have been fucked up, but it wasn't from a virus. I hope this was a very, very long time ago, because a modem recently should not be $40.

<<They told me there were the two trojans in my system and the recovery disks>>

That's impossible, unless you're talking about something that isn't a restore disk. Restore disks format your drive. No virus can prevent that.

Neildo
11-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Hey Atlanteax, I'll build you a machine faster than the one you're about to order for $700-1,000 less (with that 24" Dell included), if you want. Or I can make an even sicker one with that price you're wanting to spend. :D

And don't go with Intel. Why the heck do people still do that? Darn brainwashed marketing. Go with AMD for less and it'll be AT LEAST 20% faster. Especially when one is gonna shell out a few grand for a system, don't make it all go to waste by having sub-par parts.

- N

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Where do you get your parts, Neildo?

Brattt8525
11-23-2005, 06:44 PM
This happened last weekend, the modem is a modem blaster V.92

hectomaner
11-23-2005, 06:44 PM
www.slickdeals.net

wait until they have deals on dells. GREAT deals, i.e. the 20.1" flatscreen widescreen for like 350ish, 24" for 6-700ish, and up to $750 off dell machines. so if you want to waste your money trying to enlarge your e-peen, like you are, then i'd advise you check slickdeals daily and hold off.

hectomaner
11-23-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Brattt8525
This happened last weekend, the modem is a modem blaster V.92

$8.95. 30 second installation. you got robbed.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 06:48 PM
<<This happened last weekend, the modem is a modem blaster V.92>>

$8.95. 30 second installation. you got robbed.

I would have done it for $20, including modem cost, and still laughed at how much I punked you.

Brattt8525
11-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Yeah for the Qeek Squad :eatme:

Brattt8525
11-23-2005, 06:57 PM
I googled it and the thing does sell for 40.99 where are you seeing it for 8.95?

Drew2
11-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Yes. Best Buy does sell the modems for $40.

Geek Squad does not.

Fuck Bobmuhthol so many times in this thread, but I'm too tired to argue.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 07:01 PM
A modem is a modem.

http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=MDM&cm_ven=Adwords&cm_cat=PPC&cm_ pla=Modem&cm_ite=%7bKEYWORD%7d

Ones for $7 work just as well as ones for $40.

Drew2
11-23-2005, 07:01 PM
The fact that she uses dial up means she deserves to have been ripped off anyway.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 07:02 PM
hahaha

I totally agree.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 07:02 PM
<<Fuck Bobmuhthol so many times in this thread, but I'm too tired to argue.>>

sry, Geek Squad except Tayre is stupid.

Back
11-23-2005, 07:04 PM
The most expensive PC in existence (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/72104/wo/l15LXHh7GqdT2cqsLJd1TaKzkI2/12.0.19.1.0.8.9.1.0.0.44.0.0).

Drew2
11-23-2005, 07:07 PM
<<This cart qualifies for Free Shipping >>

I found that the funniest part.

Brattt8525
11-23-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Tayre
The fact that she uses dial up means she deserves to have been ripped off anyway.

Yes living in an area that does not have access to DSL etc is a completely valid reason for being ripped off. :P

Drew2
11-23-2005, 07:09 PM
Move to the city, hick.

I know for a fact Dallas DOES have access to those commodities, so it's not Dallas' fault that you live in hickville.

hectomaner
11-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Backlash
The most expensive PC in existence (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/72104/wo/l15LXHh7GqdT2cqsLJd1TaKzkI2/12.0.19.1.0.8.9.1.0.0.44.0.0).

You sir, are an idiot.

Brattt8525
11-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Tayre
Move to the city, hick.

I know for a fact Dallas DOES have access to those commodities, so it's not Dallas' fault that you live in hickville.

I don't live in Hickville they do have wireless access here as long as you can see the water tower. Sadly the area I live in has alot of trees and we can't see it, neither can all the subdivisions that have been built around me which I am hoping will drive telephone companies to provide the service. Hell I had high speed access when I lived just 10 miles from here which makes me sad :(

Back
11-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by hectomaner

You sir, are an idiot.

Got one more expensive?

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 07:19 PM
<<Got one more expensive?>>

It's easy enough to do that with Dell. In excess of $30,000, in fact, with two monitors like that Apple has.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 07:20 PM
<<I don't live in Hickville they do have wireless access here as long as you can see the water tower. Sadly the area I live in has alot of trees and we can't see it,>>

.................................................. ..

What?

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 07:28 PM
btw, only one of the modems listed here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?submit=PROPERTY&SubCategory=18&pro pertycodevalue=1276:9672&bop=and&Order=price) exceed even $10.

hectomaner
11-23-2005, 07:29 PM
<<I don't live in Hickville they do have wireless access here as long as you can see the water tower. Sadly the area I live in has alot of trees and we can't see it,>>

.................................................. ..

What?

It's called Wireless Bob. It consists of a wireless AP, usually mounted on a high building in an area, which communicates to a wireless SU, mounted on the roof of the subscriber. It involves LOS. Bratt obviously has no LOS, hence, no wireless internet.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 07:29 PM
That's... really... fucking terrible.

hectomaner
11-23-2005, 07:31 PM
btw, only one of the modems listed here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?submit=PROPERTY&SubCategory=18&pro pertycodevalue=1276:9672&bop=and&Order=price) exceed even $10.

On that page...

and there are 2 that are PRICED over $10

hectomaner
That's... really... fucking terrible.

what is? wireless? or the fact that she has no LOS?

Back

It's easy enough to do that with Dell. In excess of $30,000, in fact, with two monitors like that Apple has.

If I interpreted Hectosexual’s post correctly, who now sir, is the idiot?

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 07:34 PM
<<what is? wireless? or the fact that she has no LOS?>>

Wireless. Her lack of line of sight has no bearing on me. Knowing that such a shitty system exists does not sit well with me.

<<If I interpreted Hectosexual’s post correctly, who now sir, is the idiot?>>

If I interpreted the discussion correctly, it's you, sry :(

hectomaner
11-23-2005, 07:34 PM

If I interpreted Hectosexual’s post correctly, who now sir, is the idiot?

You.

hectomaner
11-23-2005, 07:36 PM
<<what is? wireless? or the fact that she has no LOS?>>

Wireless. Her lack of line of sight has no bearing on me. Knowing that such a shitty system exists does not sit well with me.

actually, wireless is a great thing. the LOS issue is a limiting facter, yes, but its still good. range on wireless is up to 10 miles, and possibly more, depending on gear, and can transmit more bandwidth then you could need. its pretty much a business option in places where dsl/cable are not available, but there are no obstructive objects around, i.e. outskirts of downtown cities, etc.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 07:39 PM
<<and can transmit more bandwidth then you could need.>>

Only good thing I see. Ten miles (radius I presume?) doesn't seem all that great to me, though.

hectomaner
11-23-2005, 07:42 PM
yes, radius, and i may be wrong about that. i know some of the long range fox units we use go up to 10mi, but i just remembered the wireless SU dish i saw on a building outside of beverly hills. it was either a 12ft or 15ft (radius) dish, so i'm assuming that fucker is hitting One Wilshire, which is a good 13mi as the crow flies. looks like it could hit 20mi+ really, fucking huge dish

Back
11-23-2005, 07:49 PM
You.

That explains everything.

hectomaner
11-23-2005, 07:55 PM

You.

That explains everything.

really, it does.

first you link a $17000 pc. with 2 moniters, and play it off like ZOMGZ $23000 pc!!!! BEAT THAT

then you say, once contested, got a more expensive one? sounds like you have that $17000 machine. if you do, you are an idiot. if you don't, and just didnt think we'd top it, you are an idiot. as i'm posting, i'm staring into our data center, and i can point out 13 machines off the first row of racks that out price your apple.

Back
11-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Nailed. You sir, are an asshole.

Please do post.

To clarify: We are saying the same thing I think. My intent in posting was to show how crazy someone would be to buy such a system. I am an Apple fan, tru, but as an Apple fan I know how much and often we get screwed.

Being an Apple fan I am used to the criticism from Windows users. I took your post as meaning I was an idiot for using a Mac, or thinking I owned that particular model.

But I challenge you to find and post a more expensive Windows PC that is not a server that comes anywhere near the power of what I posted. Bob posted that there is a Dell machine that is more expensive.

My conclusion is that if there is a Windows PC out there thats AS powerful AND more expensive AND more prone to hacks, I’d say Windows PC users were getting MORE shafted than Mac users.

That is all.

[Edited on 11-24-2005 by Backlash]

hectomaner
11-23-2005, 07:57 PM
oh no, an asshole. something i've NEVER been called before.

thank you for feeding my ego, have a nice day.

Back
11-23-2005, 08:05 PM
I edited to clarify.

We now return you to your computer buying thread.

Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 08:08 PM
Hectomaner said you were an idiot, Backlash, because you labeled it the most expensive computer ever. Neither of us read very deeply into it: you said it's the most expensive; it isn't. That's all he was saying.

Jayvn
11-23-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Trouble
a 24-inch monitor is pretty huge... I have a 19" now and it's too big for me.

screw that 24 ftw, !!! i'm miserable with my 17

Back
11-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Then the burden is on him to prove it and speak for himself. Sorry if I get defensive for being called an idiot when I am clearly head and shoulders above most mortals.

Jayvn
11-23-2005, 08:19 PM
Oh and to comment on the nothing better than dial up part, I wouldn't have moved to this new area of hickville had they not recently gotten dsl.. it was the basis for my decision. You would have already seen some news article on guy gone insane and kills hicktown because his dial up kept dropping or something.

hectomaner
11-23-2005, 08:58 PM
i did post on it. and i was not saying you are an idiot for the mac part, i love macs and plan on getting one very soon.

also why should i have to post a windows based pc that is not a server to top that price? that mac is a server, anything i post should not be excluded from the same class. it doesn't matter anyway, bob posted a machine that was more espensive. and thats all i was saying, that machine was not the most expensive ever, anyone who thinks so, is an idiot.

Back
11-23-2005, 09:04 PM
So post one better. I may be stupid, but I learn real fast.

hectomaner
11-23-2005, 09:16 PM
bob did.

now you went and changed it around.

first was more expensive, now its better. i could easily post more expensive models, that are windows based, but i wouldnt say they are 'better' ;)

quad core g5 with 16 gig of ram, it makes me feel funny in the pants

Back
11-23-2005, 09:23 PM
There has been no link to a cart better than Apples. And that link was NOT a server. Scroll back, I said PC.

If you have something more expensive, I would love to see it. And then laugh at whoever bought it.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 09:36 PM
I don't know htf to link to a Dell computer.

It had 4 HDDs: 500gb, 4x300gb
16gb ddr2 ram
a bunch of crazy shit

[Edited on 11-24-2005 by Bobmuhthol]

Skirmisher
11-24-2005, 01:09 AM
Stay on topic or make your own thread please guys.

Bobmuhthol
11-24-2005, 01:14 AM
I have to ask: what's off-topic about computers in a thread about computers?

Skirmisher
11-24-2005, 01:19 AM
No one is saying to not hold your contest of finding the most expensive computer, just that as this thread was started asking help and advice for a purchase of an actual computer to try to keep the focus here on that.

One or two posts is understandable but to hijack the thread is not.

Brattt8525
11-24-2005, 01:20 AM
Well he did say price was no object :lol:

Bobmuhthol
11-24-2005, 01:23 AM
<<No one is saying to not hold your contest of finding the most expensive computer, just that as this thread was started asking help and advice for a purchase of an actual computer to try to keep the focus here on that.

One or two posts is understandable but to hijack the thread is not.>>

The listed computers are not "actual" computers? Hijacking the thread?

You're just perpetuating the supposed hijacking by posting in this thread telling us what we should and should not say. It was over before you felt the need to lay down the law 3h33m after my last post.

Back
11-24-2005, 09:19 AM
I eat crow (http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=555&oc=MLB1571). Well, I had a $30k system all built, but the link starts at the beginning.

Not as expensive as Bob’s but close, and well over my original. Only a dual processor but 4 500GB drives. I’m sure there is something even crazier out there.

[Edited on 11-24-2005 by Backlash]