PDA

View Full Version : Letter of Resignation

Showal
11-22-2005, 11:41 PM
Printed and on my counter, I have my letter of resignation. Tomorrow, I begin the 2 week long wait to a better life.

Fixed the capital O to please BL.

[Edited on 11-23-2005 by Showal]

Back
11-22-2005, 11:48 PM
Of should not be capitalized.

OreoElf
11-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Congrats Showal... good luck

Showal
11-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Thanks.

Burnt out Priestess
11-23-2005, 12:31 AM
Good luck hon.

Jonty
11-23-2005, 12:46 AM
I did that yesterday.

Showal
11-23-2005, 12:58 AM
What exactly am I supposed to say when I hand it in?

Danical
11-23-2005, 01:16 AM
so long?

Caiylania
11-23-2005, 04:34 AM
Good luck!

And as for what to say, doesn't the letter say it all? ;)

Czeska
11-23-2005, 08:11 AM
"Hi, Mr. Boss. I have something to discuss with you" :hand over letter: :wait:

Then hope they say, "Thank you, it's ok to just leave now, we'll pay you for the 2 weeks."

Wezas
11-23-2005, 08:21 AM
Damn, I thought you were leaving the boards.

As to what to say, it depends. If you say "It's been a pleasure working with you, but I'm moving to to future endevours" (or something similar) will they know the "pleasure" part is laughable?

After saying something like that, just work off of what the other person might say/ask.

Trouble
11-23-2005, 08:44 AM
Yeah, if you're going through the trouble of actually writing up a letter, be a nice as possible about it. Be prepared to answer (or politely blow off) questions as to why you are leaving and what suggestions you may have for your supervisor/company.

I've been fortunate in that every time I've resigned I've had such a good excuse that they had nothing to say about it (gee, you doubled your salary? uhh, good luck!). With my current company I don't have such an excuse yet. I pretty much hate my job though so I gotta get crackin on something better.

Latrinsorm
11-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Showal
What exactly am I supposed to say when I hand it in? "Stop having sex with that gopher and check this out."

Note: This works just as well if your boss is not technically having sex with a gopher at the time.

Jorddyn
11-23-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm
Note: This works just as well if your boss is not technically having sex with a gopher at the time.

"Technically" :lol:

Anyway! I'd say something along the lines of you appreciated the chance to work there, but you feel it is in your best interests to move on.

Then do cartwheels :)

Jorddyn

Showal
11-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Czeska
"Hi, Mr. Boss. I have something to discuss with you" :hand over letter: :wait:

Then hope they say, "Thank you, it's ok to just leave now, we'll pay you for the 2 weeks."

We have a winner! But in addition to the 2 weeks, they'll also pay me for all my vacation time left over. My new job will pay me more than 150% of my current job, so it's a step in the right direction. The job, however, is dependant on my background check, so hopefully the 5 years I spent in prison for involuntary manslaughter will not show up.

Gan
11-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Good luck bub.

You can always use the 'best fit' speech that employers like to send ex-employees off.

Either way, you're firing your employer, carpe deim.

I did the same thing 12 months ago, and have an outstanding job now. And the nice thing is my ex employer bought out my 2 weeks notice in advance. Having December off was a groovy thing.

Showal
11-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I have 2 weeks worth of vacation and I'm looking forward to sleeping in and having some fun.

My new job is along the same lines, but I feel like I already have a good relationship with my boss. We hit it off immediately.

That's a good way to look at it though, I fired my employer. I have to go in Monday for my exit interview, but I plan on keeping everything vague and really general, such as, "I feel this is the next step towards my career goals." and stuff like that.

I've been waiting for this day for the past 3 months and it's finally come. I figured they would ask me to stay the 2 weeks, and I gladly would have stayed to help. After speaking it with a few friends, the amount of respect my company showed me, I should feel no real guilt over leaving. Besides, they would have given me the axe the second it better suited their finances.