PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday

Leetahkin
11-23-2005, 12:12 PM
Here's a few links I have been given regarding the sales for Friday. Not sure if some are area specific or nationwide.

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/

http://www.bf2005.com/

I don't plan on braving the crowds/long lines unless I find something in an ad that I JUST HAVE TO HAVE.

Sean of the Thread
11-23-2005, 12:13 PM
COMPUSA FTW this year.. :pig: Already got a list for there come friday thanks to bf2005.

Gan
11-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Even WalMart is going to join the sales extravaganza this year on Black Friday.

They should rename it to Green Friday for all the money that will be spent.

I know I'm getting an IPOD as a belated birthday gift in hopes of getting more GB for my USD.

Sean of the Thread
11-23-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Ganalon
Even WalMart is going to join the sales extravaganza this year on Black Friday.

They should rename it to Green Friday for all the money that will be spent.

I know I'm getting an IPOD as a belated birthday gift in hopes of getting more GB for my USD.

All at compusa on friday.
Apple 2GB iPod Nano w/ Free Case $199.99

Apple iPod Shuffle 512MB w/ Free Jam Caps $99.99

Apple iPod Video 30GB w/ Free Travel charger $299.99

Gan
11-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Unfortunately those IPOD prices are whats currently offered right now. I could have paid 300.00 for a 30 gig at WallMart and at Foleys of all places when we went browsing last weekend. :(

I hope they have greater discounts.

Best Buy has the 30G IPOD currently listed for 299 as well.

Bring on the SALEZ priceZ plZ.

Sean of the Thread
11-23-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Ganalon
Unfortunately those IPOD prices are whats currently offered right now. I could have paid 300.00 for a 30 gig at WallMart and at Foleys of all places when we went browsing last weekend. :(

I hope they have greater discounts.

Best Buy has the 30G IPOD currently listed for 299 as well.

Bring on the SALEZ priceZ plZ.

But they come with FREE SHIT!
I'm not a fan of Ipod so I don't know the trends but I just took that from their flyer.

[Edited on 11-23-2005 by Xyelin]

Latrinsorm
11-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Isn't Black Xday usually used to talk about a serious tragedy?

Jorddyn
11-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm

Have you ever been to the mall the day after Thanksgiving?

Chaos, fighting over the latest-greatest toy, people spending money they can't afford to buy things they don't need, so many people you can't breathe, screaming children, loud music, annoying vendors who stand right in your way and squirt you with lotion or throw their little airplanes at you. Alright, maybe not tragic, but it sure as hell is annoying.

Jorddyn, will be drinking bloody marys and decorating the house instead

Jadewolff
11-23-2005, 12:51 PM
I think the term Black Friday refers to the stock market and sales putting stores in the Black or something.

Being the Red is bad whereas being in the Black is good.

Sean of the Thread
11-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Jadewolff
I think the term Black Friday refers to the stock market and sales putting stores in the Black or something.

Being the Red is bad whereas being in the Black is good.

Bingo.. back in the pen and paper days of accounting RED INK loss.. BLACK INK profit.

kheldarin
11-23-2005, 02:55 PM
Our store (Circuit City) is opening even earlier..fucking 5am. Yeah, we got a free computer after rebates, and a 200 dollar laptop.

Ipods themselves will never go on sale, except when newer Ipods come out.

Sean of the Thread
11-23-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by kheldarin
Our store (Circuit City) is opening even earlier..fucking 5am. Yeah, we got a free computer after rebates, and a 200 dollar laptop.

Ipods themselves will never go on sale, except when newer Ipods come out.

Are they instant rebates? Is it an emachine? What sort of laptop.

Leetahkin
11-23-2005, 03:03 PM
I saw that the 6GB Zen MP3 player is gonna be on sale for $149.99 at Circuit City, normally $199.99.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 03:14 PM
rofl, 6GB for $150. How about the same company's 60GB for $221?!?!?!

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&pro duct_uid=133877&_LOC=US

:)

Leetahkin
11-23-2005, 03:38 PM
What the heck would you need 60GB in one for? I mean, 6GB can hold about 3,000 songs. If you use the MP3 as an organizer, I could see possibly needing a little more GB, but 60??

And I don't care what your site says, it's $271 you have to dish out in the beginning, and wait a few months for your rebate. Rebates are long forgotten by then, and go for gas/food/etc. by the time it rolls around. I look at the price you have to initially have to drop down for the item.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 03:44 PM
<<I mean, 6GB can hold about 3,000 songs.>>

Absolute bullshit. I have less than 1,500 songs and more than 6 GB.

<<If you use the MP3 as an organizer, I could see possibly needing a little more GB, but 60??>>

Better than 6.

<<And I don't care what your site says, it's $271 you have to dish out in the beginning, and wait a few months for your rebate. Rebates are long forgotten by then, and go for gas/food/etc. by the time it rolls around. I look at the price you have to initially have to drop down for the item.>>

That's because you're either poor and $50 means that much to you or you are a bad shopper.

Leetahkin
11-23-2005, 03:52 PM
I only have the information to go on with what the website tells me:

FM radio to listen to and record
Not that you will ever get tired of your Zen Micro's music library when it can hold up to 3,000 songs. But, if you find yourself in the mood for some 'Radio Ga Ga' for variety, simply tune in to the built-in FM radio. Set up to 32 station presets so you can catch up on the latest sports results, listen to your favorite talk show, or navigate your way out of traffic problems down Route 66. Your Zen Micro will even record your favorite radio shows, so you can listen to and enjoy them later.

Granted, if you use the organizer, it would have less than a 3000 song capacity.

Nice try analyzing my financial situation. Stick with facts on other topics, you're better there. :)

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 03:55 PM
<<I only have the information to go on with what the website tells me:>>

You, then, effectively have no real knowledge of MP3 players or MP3s in and of themselves. Your opinion has been disregarded.

<<Nice try analyzing my financial situation. Stick with facts on other topics, you're better there.>>

I'm not analyzing your financial situation. I'm saying that you're poor.

xtc
11-23-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm

Black Monday was used to describe the stock market crash in 1929.

There is Black Sunday in 1937 when the Irgun in Israel launced the widescale slaughter of Arab civilians.

[Edited on 11-23-2005 by xtc]

Back
11-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Black Sunday is also the name of a movie about a blimp, a bomb and a football game.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Here is a demonstration that 6GB != 3000 songs.

Leetahkin
11-23-2005, 05:43 PM
The up to 3000 songs could be based on the 3-4 minute per song though as well, right? I see you have some songs on there that are lengthy. That would play a part in it as well, I'm of course assuming.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Average song length of my playlist is 4:20. Sound quality * song length determines file size. A lot of my songs are very high quality, as an MP3 should be. 3,000 songs going into 6,000 MB is 2MB per song. That's fucking ridiculous. The Warclaidhm Rap is a shitty, shitty song, and it takes more space than that.

My point is that you can't dictate the number of songs that can be allocated to an MP3 player. Any advertiser that does this should be shot, because 2 MB per song is not an uncommon figure for them to use, and it's a total lie. Nobody has 3,000 songs that average out to 2 MB each. My average file size is more than 5.2 MB -- I could fit 1,152 of my average songs on that player.

Edit: This problem wouldn't exist if all MP3s were uniform quality like audio CDs, and the length of the song actually did determine the space it takes. 80 minutes for an audio CD no matter what quality it is. It's a lot easier to deal with, but unfortunately there's no development to make cheap audio DVD players that hold like 10 hours of music to replace CDs.

Edit 2: For someone who doesn't absolutely have to have an MP3 player, I *strongly* recommend MP3 CD players. Your storage is virtually unlimited: 700 MB per CD you have. They read CD-RWs, too, so it's rewritable memory. I loved my MP3 CD player, but I wanted an MP3 player because I do have an issue with the size of a pocket MP3 player vs. a CD player. I'm limited to 9/8 GB because of it, and I pray daily that more memory appears out of nowhere for me.

[Edited on 11-23-2005 by Bobmuhthol]

Leetahkin
11-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Bah, guess I won't impulse buy one then Friday. :(
And I'm glad I've never heard the W rap song.

Thx for the info.

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 05:57 PM
<<Bah, guess I won't impulse buy one then Friday.>>

I suggest that you do buy one if you're interested in it. I recommend the 60GB over the 6GB, but even 6GB leads to a pretty extensive library. Unless you have a significant number more of MP3s than I do, the 6GB should last you and hold everything you have.

ps. http://www.myspace.com/warclaidhmrappers <-- vocals by me.

It's not loading for me, unfortunately. :(

[Edited on 11-23-2005 by Bobmuhthol]

Drew2
11-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Best Buy does call it Green Friday, for whoever mentioned that.

Also, as stated, iPods don't go on sale. They are sold at pretty much all retailers for at-cost price. Meaning we make no money off those. The accessories is where we get our money.

Also, I empathize with whoever worked at Circuit City. I have to be at Best Buy bright and early at 4:30am.

Kill me please.

Back
11-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Today I was asking around if anyone knew it was Black Friday? Everyone said yeah.

It happened because I don’t watch regular TV. All the networks are of course owned by huge parent corporations who want to sell you stuff so they feature this Black Friday thing as “news.”

Leetahkin
11-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Of everything that I could have impulsively bought, I ended up going out and standing in line for over a half hour to buy one thing - a set of luggage for my trip in Feb.

So disappointing that I didn't find anything else to buy.
But thankful I didn't have to go to the hellish mall today.

[Edited on 11-25-2005 by Nobody Cares]

Sean of the Thread
11-25-2005, 02:36 PM
:pig:

I ended up skipping best buy as the line was over 400 yards long at 4:45am.