PDA

View Full Version : How many are on YOUR wish list?

Leetahkin
11-22-2005, 12:54 PM
This Holiday Season, Geek Is Cool

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

By C. Spencer Beggs

Geek is the new cool.

Once tormented in locker rooms across the country, the geeks have inherited the Earth. They're your friends, your neighbors, your co-workers — maybe even your husband or wife.

You can't even change your motor oil anymore without someone scanning your car with something that looks like it was beamed off the Starship Enterprise.

Geeks are everywhere, and more likely than not, you're going to have to buy a gift for one of them this holiday season. How will your Luddite brain ever figure out which gadgets are great and which are garbage?

Never fear, FOXNews.com has you covered.

The Xbox 360

Americans spent $9.9 billion on video games last year, according to market research company the NPD Group. That's about $500 million more than we spent going to the movies. So what better place to begin our geek gift guide than in the video game aisle?

The latest and greatest in the video game world is Microsoft's Xbox 360 console, which hits store shelves at midnight on Tuesday.

Full article here. (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,176309,00.html)

I'm debating the Xbox 360, and an IPod. I might hold off a while longer though.

AnticorRifling
11-22-2005, 12:56 PM
All I want for christmas is a coffee pot(mine just died recently) and maybe some suppliments. That's about it.

Czeska
11-22-2005, 12:57 PM
I want to get the phone and email stuff hooked up on my new free Blackberry.

Asha
11-22-2005, 01:06 PM
All the Batman cartoons on DVD.
That would make my Xmas.

Latrinsorm
11-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Nobody Cares
Never fear, FOXNews.com has you covered.This statement is meant to be ironic, right?

There's a really good short sleeved shirt I want from bluefly. Then I could really use some new bootsocks. Other than that, I'll be happy with some fresh tacos and being home. USA! USA!

Drayal:

I hope you're talking about the good, "Dick Grayson = Robin & Mark Hamill = Joker" Batman cartoons and not the crappy "Tim Drake = Robin & Bruce Wayne = clearly Batman" Batman cartoons and certainly not the incredibly crappy "Batman has ethnically appropriate police sidekicks" Batman cartoons.

Leetahkin
11-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm

Originally posted by Nobody Cares
Never fear, FOXNews.com has you covered.This statement is meant to be ironic, right?

There's a really good short sleeved shirt I want from bluefly. Then I could really use some new bootsocks. Other than that, I'll be happy with some fresh tacos and being home. USA! USA!

Drayal:

I hope you're talking about the good, "Dick Grayson = Robin & Mark Hamill = Joker" Batman cartoons and not the crappy "Tim Drake = Robin & Bruce Wayne = clearly Batman" Batman cartoons and certainly not the incredibly crappy "Batman has ethnically appropriate police sidekicks" Batman cartoons.

I snippeted it directly off the link. Wasn't my words :D

Bobmuhthol
11-22-2005, 01:25 PM
My Christmas list so far:
256 MB GDDR3 Radeon PCI-Express x16 video card
512 MB RAM
Company by Max Barry
Real Ultimate Power by Robert Hamburger

Hips
11-22-2005, 01:27 PM
All I want is more Nintendo DS games. And money, money is always good.

Asha
11-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Latrinsorm, I mean the first cartoon series of Batman.
He is friends with the commisioner but is still the kickass and BEST Batman there has ever been.
The animation is dark and excellently rendered. The whole feel captures mid 20th century with futuristic technology.
Some of the episodes (especially the sandman episode) actually leave me stunned and inspired.

Plus he could easily kick the shit out of George Clooney. :fu:

4a6c1
11-22-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm still waiting for the call this season from a little 10 yr old redhead who I expect to guilt me into something expensive and electronic her mother wont buy for her.

Is it Xbox everybody is buying now? OH CRAP HELL NO. I am not standing in those lines. She can have a barbie. Or an Xbox made out of Candy canes. Or an Barbie made out of Xbox flavored candy canes.

Terminator X
11-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Xbox 360. Join the eebil, Jihna :yes:

- TX

Wezas
11-22-2005, 01:39 PM
Yep, Xbox lines were in full force today outside of most electronics stores on teh way into work.

A local "morning zoo"-type radio show had people throwing water balloons at the people standing in line and then driving off.

Amusing.

4a6c1
11-22-2005, 01:41 PM
lol. thats awesome wezas. and a super idea....hmmm

ElanthianSiren
11-22-2005, 01:43 PM
My boyfriend
For it NOT to snow
Comprehend calculus better.

-M
(so no, X-box is not on my list. )

xtc
11-22-2005, 02:04 PM
As usual Fox News has it wrong again.

Geeks were cool for a very brief period of time in the roaring 90's before the tech bubble burst. Now every tech geek with a Devry diploma is serving fries at McDonalds or if he/she is lucky they are working in a call centre whining about their job.

This Christmas I will be giving the geeks the same gift I have been giving them every year since high school.

WEDGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 11-22-2005 by xtc]

radamanthys
11-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Geek stuff?

www.thinkgeek.com

Latrinsorm
11-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Man I could go for a GBA SP, now that I think about it. My Gameboy Pocket isn't getting any younger. $80 is a bit much though.

Sylvan Dreams
11-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Xbox 360's are going for up to $1,800 a piece on eBay. Most of them are going for around $1,000.

Viridian
11-22-2005, 03:56 PM
I want Firefly season one, and a new computer monitor. That's all I want. Nothing really high tech.

Leetahkin
11-23-2005, 11:18 AM
So I got into my company website for their offers and found this. Now I'm interested in one:

The Zen Micro offers 6GB capacity in a micro-sized player with a captivating luminescent blue glow that will set you apart from the crowd.

Detail 6GB
Capacity 3000 songs1
Availability Pre-order
Price Only $199.99

**I can get it for 20% off**

Micro sized
FM radio to listen to and record
Built-in voice recorder
Vertical touch pad
Removable Disk

Get organized
When you're having so much fun with your Zen Micro, it's easy to lose track of time or even days. One of Zen Micro's handy features is its personal organizer. You'll never forget about those all important anniversaries with the "calendar," plus a "to do" list and "contacts" list, all syncing seamlessly with Microsoft Outlook.

Wake to your favorite tunes
Customize your UI
Shuffle to a different tune

Highest audio quality of any MP3 player
Zen MP3 players are renowned for their superior audio quality, and the Zen Micro is no exception. With an outstanding industry leading 98dB signal to noise ratio, you can achieve audio bliss with clarity as good as expensive hi-fi systems. That coupled with high fidelity earphones with dynamic bass response, the Zen Micro not only sets a new standard for sheer style, but for unmatched audio perfection.

Anything comparable out there I should look at?

Bobmuhthol
11-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Zen Micro is good times. I don't own one but they're up there. I'd take it over an iPod any day. Of course, the earlier models are like 512 MB and 1 GB, so 6 GB is awesome at a small price increase.

Apotheosis
11-24-2005, 09:28 AM
To get my portfolio finished.

Back
11-24-2005, 09:52 AM
Is a portfolio ever finished?

Gah, I don’t own an iPod. Even though I could easily buy one (U2 edition) I absolutely refuse to buy one. Yes I am an Apple fan, yes I am a music fan, yes I am an iTunes fan. And you would think that anyone who knows me would know all these things yet still they can’t get the hint.

As a public transit commuter it is astounding how many iPods I see. I used to have a Sony Walkman, a portable CD player and one of the first MP3 players. Yes, it was cool to rock out during the morning rush dancing in my head while other people stared or slept their way to work. But being locked into my own audio world had its problems too and these days I like to be completely aware of my surroundings at all times.

I’d use it more as a portable drive more than anything.

I can’t really think of anything else I want, except maybe a good BJ and to win the lottery.

Hakonne
11-24-2005, 09:55 AM
I want all of my troops to come home safe.

All of them.

I want a certain PFC to get the best prosthetic foot that money can buy. God Bless him. I hope he achieves his dream of being a Sergeant Major some day.

And I want Americans to give them the biggest fucking party the planet has ever seen regardless of what people think of the war.

Hak

P.S. XBox can kiss my ass.

Showal
11-24-2005, 06:19 PM
Sirius Radio, because I want my Howard.