PDA

View Full Version : Jamus' PsiNet for the Wizard FE

Betheny
10-10-2003, 08:05 PM
I've been hearing about this program for months and months as Jamus builds it. And finally, he did it.

It works jut fine with my computer, and is a really nice add-on package with the Wizard FE. It's like a global amulet, selling net, and mail system, all within the wizard FE.

Keep in mind... this software is in beta testing, and the maker of this sofware is not responsible for any sort of problems you have, t hough none are really apparent. You can contact him by AIM at JamusPsi before installing, and he will walk you through any problems you might have. The email for PsiNet related inquiries is psinet@psinet.cjb.net

Maybe give it a try, eh?

Durrr. Here's the link. http://psinet.cjb.net

[Edited on 10-11-2003 by Maimara]

StrayRogue
10-10-2003, 08:07 PM
Can you explain exactly what it does, as your description is a little vague.

Betheny
10-10-2003, 08:08 PM
Here's what the web site says.

What it does
The PsiNet gives you the ability to do new things in Gemstone III and IV. The PsiNet is currently divided into three segments:
PsiNet Mail - Gives you the MAIL command on your Wizard FE screen, allowing you to send and receive email from other players- by character name- from within the game. This mail is not restricted by your location in the game.
The PsiNet Mail system is complete.
PsiNet Market - Gives you the MARKET command on your Wizard FE screen, allowing you to post, search for, and bid on items for sale by other players. These sales are available from anywhere in the game. Notifications are sent through the MAIL system.
The PsiNet Market system is nearing completion.
PsiNet Library - Gives you the LIBRARY or LOOKUP command on your Wizard FE screen, allowing you to instantly display articles on your Wizard FE screen. For instance, by typing LOOKUP giant rat, you could see the AS, DS, level, description, location, and other useful information on your screen. This information is provided by players- anybody can submit!
Currently, the PsiNet Library is in concept stage- no coding has begun.

Wezas
10-10-2003, 09:16 PM
I just downloaded this program and installed it. I may be a freak but I'm not big on a program that has so much control over the SGE. For all I know it could be capturing my login & password and sending it off somewhere. I know the webpage says it's just using my login key, but who really knows for sure. Does anyone know the programmer personally? Has anyone seen the insides of this program or tested it for security?

Wezas
10-10-2003, 09:29 PM
Wanting to uninstall the software, I checked the add/remove programs and saw no uninstall for it. Fair enough. I went to the install directory to look for an uninstall and saw no such file. Fair enough. I deleted the directory and now can't start up the wizard using SGE. "Error Running Launcher" "The System Cannot Find the File Specified".

I don't see any uninstall directions on his site. When trying to open the wizard from the web site i get an access denied to a file within my temporary internet files folder - which has never happened before. I guess I'll have to restore the deleted folder (to be able to temporarily get into GS3) and probably reinstall the SGE/Wizard.

Just fair warning. My circumstance may somehow be unique, but I didn't do anything out of the ordinary.

Red Devil
10-10-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Wezas
I just downloaded this program and installed it. I may be a freak but I'm not big on a program that has so much control over the SGE. For all I know it could be capturing my login & password and sending it off somewhere. I know the webpage says it's just using my login key, but who really knows for sure. Does anyone know the programmer personally? Has anyone seen the insides of this program or tested it for security?

I knew jamus, haven't really talked to him in awhile but he isn't the type to steal someone's shit

Red Devil
10-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Kriegsher (7:55:12 PM): Have you seen the thread on Players Corner about PsiNet?
JamusPsi (7:55:19 PM):
Hm. No.
JamusPsi (7:55:21 PM): Link me?
JamusPsi (7:55:52 PM): Oh, wait, someone said they were going to.
Kriegsher (7:56:08 PM): http://forum.gsplayers.com/viewthread.php?tid=1951&page=1#pid45451
JamusPsi (7:56:35 PM): Oh, YES
JamusPsi (7:56:40 PM): I HAVE read that.
JamusPsi (7:56:44 PM): And I tried to contact Wezas.
JamusPsi (7:56:45 PM): But he's not on./
JamusPsi (7:56:51 PM): You type PSINET UNINSTALL
JamusPsi (7:56:54 PM): And it uninstalls.

Red Devil
10-10-2003, 10:39 PM
JamusPsi (8:01:05 PM): Tell him that if he types PSINET in the Wizard screen
JamusPsi (8:01:12 PM): He should see PSINET UNINSTALL at the menu.
JamusPsi (8:01:15 PM): If he types PSINET UNINSTALL
JamusPsi (8:01:24 PM): It'll make him type PSINET UNINSTALL CONFIRM
JamusPsi (8:01:26 PM): When he does that
JamusPsi (8:01:28 PM): It'll launch setup
JamusPsi (8:01:33 PM): And all he has to do is click Uninstall.
JamusPsi (8:01:48 PM): Tell him that I'll put more detailed instructions for that somewhere.
Kriegsher (8:01:54 PM): alright
JamusPsi (8:02:13 PM): And that I would like others who have problems to contact me via AIM with questions or concerns, at JamusPsi.
JamusPsi (8:02:28 PM): As I do not read those boards.

[Edited on 10-11-2003 by Red Devil]

Wezas
10-10-2003, 10:51 PM
Perfect, thanks for the help guys.

I hadn't been in game, was just checking the E-mail acct that I sent him the message from.

[Edited on 10-11-2003 by Wezas]

Betheny
10-10-2003, 10:52 PM
I know the programmer personally, and I use his AutoSGE program.

I trust him with all of my account information.

Reyek
10-10-2003, 11:20 PM
i'll install it and put it on a packet sniffer see what info is sent back and fourth and where its going...

Wezas
10-10-2003, 11:25 PM
I spoke with him for a few minutes and he seems like a genuinly nice guy. And I don't doubt his programming skills, he makes me look computer illiterate.

I'm sure you won't find anything Reyek, but it'll surely put people's mind at ease.

AutoSGE? Do tell.

Betheny
10-11-2003, 12:09 AM
I love the AutoSGE.

http://autosge.psinet.cjb.net

Please read the documentation on the page, before installing.

The newest version is capable of accessing GS4 Beta. I like it.

Red Devil
10-11-2003, 12:41 AM
isn't the autoSGE the thing that lets you log in characters from AIM? lol

Betheny
10-11-2003, 12:55 AM
No. From your taskbar, like the SGE. Except you don't even have to set it up to need a PW. Just click on it, highlight your character, and you're in.

Delyorik
10-13-2003, 02:32 AM
Just as a personal note, I've known Jamus for some time, and have used both AutoSGE and Psinet. His programs are, in my opinion, safe. And now that I've got my laptop configured the way I want it, I'll be reinstalling Psinet.

Betheny
10-13-2003, 07:18 AM
Hear hear, Delyorik.

Jamus himself was going to post here, but his assigned password got lost somewhere. :?:

Reyek
10-13-2003, 06:51 PM
From the tests i done on it so far it seems legit. no hidden agendas in the software but im not a expert debugger or anything. but it seems on the up and up

JamusPsi
10-13-2003, 09:11 PM
A BIG thanks to Kranar for getting my password reset for me. It's been driving me nuts.

Thanks, Delyorik, for your support. I really appreciate that.

Reyek, I REALLY appreciate your efforts. I invite anyone with similar concerns to take similar steps and post their findngs here, or to contact me or voice their concerns.

The website is http://psinet.cjb.net . For those that are wary of cjb redirects (I got this complaint. ???) there is an alternative redirect, http://psinet.drop.to .

There is a link to screenshots near the top of the page, as well as a link to downloads.

Because this is beta software, there is a small chance that installation will not complete successfully, and you will not be able to login to the game. In MOST cases, simply running Setup again and clicking Uninstall will remedy the problem, but sometimes manual uninstallation is necessary. This has happened _once_ so far in the last week (the third person who tested) and bug fixes were released immediately. Since then, over thirty people have joined the test and none have had any problems installing or uninstalling.

As a precaution, I recommend that you contact me via AIM at JamusPsi when you intend to install. In the unlikely event that you do have a problem, I will walk you through fixing it.

Comments as far as suggestions or complaints are welcome via AIM, email at psinet@psinet.cjb.net, or as posts here, where I will be checking periodically.

(I am considering the implementation of a CHAT feature and particularly interested in your opinion of such.)

Thanks for reading. BIG thanks for testing.
JamusPsi (psinet@psinet.cjb.net)

Delyorik
10-14-2003, 01:32 AM
Jamus,

My pleasure. Always like supporting things that I feel enhance our experience in GemStone.

Reyek, thanks for the software check as well. I hadn't bothered, but with that confirmation, I think Jamus might have an easier time getting the word spread. Great job.

~The Watcher

CrystalTears
10-14-2003, 09:08 AM
Moved to Gemstone Websites so that it can be found easier.

Tendarian
10-14-2003, 11:28 AM
What does Simu think of this program? Have they said anything one way or another?

JamusPsi
10-14-2003, 02:20 PM
Well, I heard through the grapevine that my program is going through Simu's "threat assessment," but Simu has not contacted me at all.

I started this program two years ago. I had no intentions of wasting my time on a program that would be banned from use. Therefore, before I started, I assisted in-game and asked to talk with a GM.

I explained the situation, and told them that I wanted to confirm that it was alright to write the program before I actually began. The GM I was talking to (and a few others that are friends) was enthusiastic about the idea, but admitted that, in the end, it would fall under Melissa's domain. So I asked to be put in touch with Melissa and got her email address.

I wrote several emails to Melissa, detailing my intentions and the scope of the program. I told her quite frankly that if she only said "no," I would drop the project all-together.

I got no response.

I sent a followup email shortly after.

I got no response.

I talked with some GMs that were aware of the situation, and we came to the conclusion that Melissa could not condone it, but that her silence was a sign that she would not interfere. I watched the login/logouts for her character name for a week or two, and when I saw her, sent REPORTs to her.

She ignored those as well.

It seems pretty clear, to me at least, that she has no intentions of acting on this issue. That said, I can't verify one way or another, other than that nobody has contacted me so far (and the list of testers continues to grow).

This program works very much like the Autorollers from so long ago, which even GMs tended to use. The author of the Autoroller is even a GM now.

Hope that answers your question on the topic.

--Jamus
JamusPsi@AIM

Weedmage Princess
10-14-2003, 06:47 PM
No response? No shit--that's SO UNLIKE HER *sarcasm x 50*

God I can't stand Melissa.

Zentoph
10-23-2003, 10:12 PM
He just added the chat option to it. Download the update, and chat. Now!

Wezas
10-23-2003, 11:18 PM
Chat is working, though it might take away from the game for a few. You are able to speak in this chat while you're dead, so you can ask for help (has already happened). Other then that, it's nice to be able to chat to people who are in different towns. The chat shows up in your thought window (I highlighted the lines, all the lines start with "[OOC]-" so it's easy enough to mark them) OOC is the only "channel" so far, but I'm sure there will be more.

Tendarian
10-24-2003, 01:45 AM
So how do you use the chat? Under chat help it said something like chat [target]: message? I know i could have just tested it out but id rather not put somethin stupid out right away. If i wanted to say "hello" would i just chat [target]: hello or chat : hello ?

Drew2
10-24-2003, 05:23 AM
Holy crap this thing is freaking awesome.

All of you install it. Seriously. It rocks.

JamusPsi
10-24-2003, 06:31 AM
There is a new version beta 4 of the PsiNet available on the website, http://psinet.cjb.net. This fixes the broken logins to GS4 and will no longer crash StormFront if you have it installed (though it will not work with StormFront, either). It has several other bug fixes that were reported to me, as well. The biggest change is that it implements the CHAT system.

Chat allows you to instantly communicate with people anywhere in the game, provided that they have the PsiNet client installed.

Originally posted by Tendarian
So how do you use the chat?

Ok, the help does explain this, but I'll offer it anyhow. [edit: I highly recommend using CHAT HELP once you have it installed and playing with it yourself. It's much easier to learn that way.]

You can use CHAT [Target:]Message or CHAT TO Target Message. Either method works. Target may either be another player on the PsiNet or a channel that you are TUNEd into.

If you don't specify a target, it will default to the last channel you Tuned to. So >TUNE ooc >chat hi Will chat "hi" to the channel OOC.

To view the registered channels, type CHANNELS.

You can TUNE into a channel, which allows you to hear all the chat being made on that channel. You can TUNE multiple channels. You can create any channel you want with TUNE, but they will not be listed in the CHANNELS list. You can TUNE a channel you are already on to change your default CHAT channel.

So as a review:
>chat to Jamus Hi!
is the same as
>chat Jamus:Hi!
And would send the message "Hi!" to Jamus.

>tune OOC
Would tune the OOC channel in so you could hear it, and set it as your default chat channel.
>tune Icemule
Would turn the Icemule channel in, and set it as your default.

After that, you would hear messages on both OOC and Icemule. Because Icemule was your last TUNEd,
>chat Hi!
Would chat "Hi!" to the Icemule channel. You could also
>chat to ooc Hello!
to send "Hello!" to the OOC channel without changing your default chat channel.

Chat messages will go to the Thought window if you have it open.

Did that clarify things?

I am considering placing restrictions on the usage of CHAT while dead. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on it. The current suggestions are to a) remove it altogether; b) only allow private messages and messages on a preset channel, like "Assistance"; and c) Leave full chat capabilities in place.

Comments, concerns, and suggestions are welcome of course.
http://psinet.cjb.net
JamusPsi@AIM, psinet@psinet.cjb.net, Jamus in the Landing

[Edited on 10-24-2003 by JamusPsi]

Betheny
10-24-2003, 07:59 AM
Remove it while dead.

Maybe implement a sort of symbol of need thing that's IC.

Drew2
10-24-2003, 08:53 AM
>psinet who full
You request a list of people currently linked to the PsiNet.
PSINET WHO to receive just a count.

You sense that the following people are currently linked to the PsiNet:
Tayre

::whines:: GET PSINET!! It went from 10 people to 0 in like half an hour. NEED MORE PEOPLE.

Tendarian
10-24-2003, 12:42 PM
I like the chat feature and i would leave it how it is now. If people think its OOC then just dont use it when dead or help other people who are dead who are using that.

And yeah that cleared it all up Jamus thanks.

Drew2
10-24-2003, 08:23 PM
Last time I'll post on this --

PsiNet is awesome. Just look at the previous posts to see what it's for, etc. Everyone should get it. Now.

Kthx.

[Edited on 10-25-2003 by Tayre]

Disrupture
12-11-2003, 07:46 PM
Put an option in Psinet that lets you turn off chatting when dead, so you can't do it. And make sure you can't turn it back on when you are dead, so if they make the choice to turn the option on, they can't turn it back off in a moment of weakness.

Varsus
02-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Um, or if someone has that little self control to where they don't want to use it while dead, but do... thats there problem.

-Varsus (If I die, my cleric raises me)