PDA

View Full Version : Shinoboo is a moron

Klaser
10-10-2003, 06:49 PM
>
Shinoboo says, "ahh thank you:)"
>prep 1102
You concentrate while murmuring the simple, mystical chant for Limb Repair...
Your spell is ready.
>cure
You concentrate.
Your right leg feels better.
Roundtime: 14 sec.
Cast Roundtime 3 seconds.
Crystallia serenely says, "thanks"
>
Shinoboo hugs Guenhafyr, who wraps her in a warm embrace.
Guenhafyr gestures while calling upon the lesser spirits for aid...
>
Shinoboo struggles to sit up, but fails.
>
Shinoboo hugs Crystallia.
>
Crystallia kneels and begins to meditate.
>
Shinoboo gives Crystallia a warm buss on the lips.
>
Crystallia begins to meditate on her lot in life.
>
Shinoboo scratches under her crimson leather cloak, trying to reach that pesky itch on her back.
>
Shinoboo says, "ahhhhh that's better"
>
The appearance of great calm leaves Crystallia as she looks up and glances around.

Crystallia snickers at Shinoboo.
>
Shinoboo says, "itchy"
>
You quietly whisper to Shinoboo, "This isnt AOL"
>
Shinoboo asks, "What's aol?"
>
Shinoboo peers quizzically at you.
>
The appearance of great calm leaves Crystallia as she looks up and glances around.

Crystallia ponders.
>
Shinoboo asks, "is that that secret society?"
>
Shinoboo says, "i heard of it"
>
Shinoboo rubs her chin thoughtfully.
Crystallia serenely says, "must be"
>
Lunatick just went west.
>
Crystallia nods to Shinoboo.
>
Crystallia laughs!
>
Crystallia begins to meditate on her lot in life.
>
Shinoboo says, "they just not fashionable"
>
Shinoboo picks at her white taffeta skirt, perhaps removing a bit of lint.
>whi shin :) is not a grin
>
You quietly whisper to Shinoboo, ":) is not a grin"
>
Shinoboo says, "yes it is"
>
Shinoboo sticks her tongue out at you, and lets out with a loud, "Thbtbtbtbt" from her lips!
>
Shinoboo happily says, "is too"
>whi shin no
You quietly whisper to Shinoboo, "no"
>grin
You grin.
>
whi shin is a grin
>You quietly whisper to Shinoboo, "is a grin"
>
Shinoboo says, "well where I come from it is"
>
Shinoboo says, "and the gms agree"
>
Shinoboo says, "must be different land for you"
>
Shinoboo rubs you.
>
Shinoboo says, "that's ok"
>
Shinoboo says, "we like you anyway"

Shinoboo says, "i can bless"
>
Midina removes a short-hafted dark vultite handaxe from in her brocade sheath.
>
Shinoboo says, "you can safe your favor"
>
Breager asks, "How did tyou know?"
>
Breager peers quizzically at Shinoboo.
>
* Snowie just bit the dust!
>
Alawren grins at Shinoboo.
>
Midina asks, "who wants to do it?"
>
Midina smiles.
>
Guenhafyr just arrived.
>
Shinoboo raises a hand while murmuring a soft orison...
>
Shinoboo gestures at Midina.
A searing white light enfolds Midina's dark vultite handaxe for a moment and then appears to become incorporated into it.

====================================
Just to add, she is a great lady...

[Edited on 10-10-2003 by Klaser]

ElvenRangeress
10-10-2003, 06:51 PM
Hm, and no one corrected this person?

Xcalibur
10-10-2003, 07:19 PM
Just mind your own business next time, buddy

StrayRogue
10-10-2003, 07:20 PM
I would have done the same :) pisses me off. She started chatting about GMs outloud as well. She is a blatant idiot.

Betheny
10-10-2003, 07:24 PM
Crystallia is an idiot too. I'm surprised she didn't have her MA empath there.

Hulkein
10-10-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Lady Daina
Erm, you whispered to her about AOL.

Maybe she doesn't appreciate getting OOC whispers.

I think it was a proper IC reaction to your blatantly OOC whisper.

Not everyone enjoys or appreciates people whispering OOC crap in their ear. I know I don't.

What are you fucking serious? He WHISPERED and she says AOL in the open? I'm guessing you don't like Klaser for some reason because there is NO way any good Gemstone player would really think ':-)' after a sentence is a grin, roleplaying wise, and than think it is appropriate to say AOL in the open, after he whispered it. Not to mention she says GM in the open. You're so petty if you really think someone whispering 'this isn't AOL' is rude, or for some reason shouldn't be appreciated. Anyone who does smiley faces should be locked out.

You're completely correct Klaser, good man.

[Edited on 10-10-2003 by Hulkein]

Betheny
10-10-2003, 07:38 PM
I think the reason this retard thinks that it's acceptable, is you can use emoticons with tone. Or something.

Shoot him/her/it.

HarmNone
10-10-2003, 07:45 PM
The use of emoticons in open conversation started long before Tone came along, unfortunately. At first, people who used them would capitulate with a bit of gentle chiding, but that did not last long. I often thought of murdering the users on the spot, but managed to take myself elsewhere before I gave in to the urge. ;)

HarmNone did not kill

HarmNone

Rastaman
10-10-2003, 07:46 PM
Daina, He whisper to her "This isn't AOL" because she said a ":)" its the very first thing in the log. Pay attention.

Artha
10-10-2003, 07:48 PM
HarmNone did not kill

Surprise surprise.

HarmNone
10-10-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Artha

HarmNone did not kill

Surprise surprise.

Oh, hush, Artha! You will pay for teasing me, you whelp. Search your bed for spideys with designs on your privates.

HarmNone is vindictive :D

Xcalibur
10-10-2003, 07:56 PM
Atheana uses those symbols here, and so some people

I'm putting 100$ that i'm right about this:

Some people think it's roleplaying, for them they roleplay. When they speak fo their AS, they roleplay. They character is them in the game, and if they say they're 20 trains, 2000 pages to train, they roleplay.

StrayRogue
10-10-2003, 07:59 PM
You are btting $100 on what? AS is OOC. Saying : ) is OOC. It is abusing the mechanics. You cannot actually say that in reality. They may be trying to RP (I doubt it), but it doesn't mean they actually are. Hell, by that rationale, I could play a character called Robocop and claim to be there from the future to kill the mother of the future son who'd shoot Kennedy.

Xcalibur
10-10-2003, 08:01 PM
The fact is they think it's roleplaying. Name me one person that read the policy, the whole 20 pages every now and then to be sure they're walking in the right track.

It's up to simu to make it stop, and do they nothing. So screw simu, not the playeres (that surely don't even know it's "forbiden")

StrayRogue
10-10-2003, 08:03 PM
Eh? I have read the Policy maybe once, long ago. Just because they think its RP, does NOT make it RP. Simu just want money, they don't give a shit about the quality here, but that doesn't excuse idiots like this doing this kind of idiocy. As for not knowing...she is a great lady. She's either ignorant or bought.

Xcalibur
10-10-2003, 08:06 PM
Then i'm right
It's not player's fault, it's simu

They know that if they inforce roleplaying, they'll lose players

So they doesn't care about us, so screw them and let players use the :/ if they want.

I'm sure, anyway, that elite roleplayers just ignore those people

StrayRogue
10-10-2003, 08:09 PM
So just ignoring them makes it all better? Isn't that how WW2 started? Oh sorry, Canada forgot about that one didn't it?

Xcalibur
10-10-2003, 08:20 PM
Sorry, my PM wasn't the one that closes his eyes "to buy peace" when Hitler decided to annex Austrich and Tcheque republique

It's not our job to inforce roleplaying, it's simu's job.

[Edited on 11-10-03 by Xcalibur]

StrayRogue
10-10-2003, 08:21 PM
No, it isn't our job. Neither is it to encourage RP. So we should stop doing that too then?

Xcalibur
10-10-2003, 08:23 PM
How many gm is there in gemstone3? and gh, and ghX and those sage? and those free hired people (those people doing so in the silverstuff manor???)

I'm sure the ratio of "leaders" compared to "players" is MINIMUM 1/10

1/10 man, it's FAR enough, still look how it is

They simply know that a total 100% roleplaying game is boring
for a lot of people, and it's not all teens (which there's a lot) that loves that anyway.

StrayRogue
10-10-2003, 08:25 PM
So, let me get this straight...you are saying its the GMs job to police all these people, then disproving your point by saying there isn't enough?? Anyway, your numbers are far off. Not all GMs are even in game. In fact few are, fewer still waste their time trauling for RP or cleaning up OOC foul ups. They do not have the man-power.

Xcalibur
10-10-2003, 08:26 PM
2 gms alone would be enough

I really doubt there is much OOC people on teras

Put a gm in landing and one in icemule.
In 2 months this problem is corrected.

StrayRogue
10-10-2003, 08:27 PM
LOL. Whatever you say.

Xcalibur
10-10-2003, 08:29 PM
gemstone is running since more than 10 years, and that problems is still there.

Players that are told by others players that their behaviors is not correct rarely change.

Warclaidhm is your perfect exemple

If a gm come and tell him to either change his OOC behavior or face a temporary ban, HE WILL change

They won't do it, they let us do it and by that, it will simply continue

StrayRogue
10-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Believe me, people do change. Most of the idiots are posted on here, but I bet for every ten idiots there is one gem. And I won't stop trying to find that diamond in the rough while I play this game, neither will I stop condemning these idiots. Its people like you, alongside SIMU, who didn't care enough to make a big deal out of stuff like this, who helps morons such as this propogate.

Xcalibur
10-10-2003, 08:35 PM
that is your opinion and what you do of your time

I prefer hanging with people i know that they're good to seeking a gem into 10 asses.

Then we agree on something then

DCSL
10-11-2003, 02:23 AM
I've got to say that I think only a complete MORON would think talking about AOL and GMs' approval outloud is role-play, in that instance. I think that Shinoboo is just an idiot.

Ilvane
10-11-2003, 03:19 AM
FYI, Shinoboo just became a mentor too.:grin:

No further comment.

-A

P.S. I'm the warrior council for mentors, and love it, so don't think I'm not insulting them. I'm just surprised at Shinoboo's OOC and then being not very nice when told to knock it off.;)

[Edited on 10-11-2003 by Ilvane]

Betheny
10-11-2003, 03:41 AM
There's a lot of jackass mentors that say "I'm a mentor" when t hey do something bad. As if that's supposed to excuse them.

Ilvane
10-11-2003, 03:43 AM
I am trying to fix that, really. I heard a story about another and brought it right up.

Mentors aren't supposed to go out of character, they are supposed to be roleplayers..that little bit of log bothered me.

I may even bring it up at the next meeting..:)

-A

HarmNone
10-11-2003, 03:59 AM
In light of the fact that Shinaboo is a Mentor, the log bothers me more than just a little bit, I am afraid.

In any group that presumes to lead and guide, as the Mentors do, members must be held to a higher standard than the average player. Mentors should never be out of character, and there is no excuse for a Mentor being rude to anyone, period.

I have seen Mentors in the past who made the whole organization look bad. I have seen Mentors who stood out as wonderful examples of how it should be done. Shinaboo looks to be one of the former, if that log is any indication.

Are these people not trained at all? If they are trained, what the hell happened here? I do not mean to be reactionary, but if that is how a Mentor behaves in-game, no wonder it seems that the general populace of Elanthia has degenerated into a pack of idiots. :rolleyes:

HarmNone is beginning to understand

Betheny
10-11-2003, 04:01 AM
You guys should check out Morelean and Mythala, too.

Ilvane
10-11-2003, 04:33 AM
They are trained, and should know better, to be honest.

Someone can give a great interview and be totally in character and act differently outside of the manor, to defend the society a bit.

I haven't been around as much as I would like lately, but I really don't like the looks of that log, for sure.

-A

Betheny
10-11-2003, 04:35 AM
I wrote aletter to the GM in charge of mentors because of Morelean and Mythala. I was chasing this little thief around, and he kept logging out. Eventually he logged out, IMed Mythala and Morelean... they showed up, sancted, and sat there like nothing happened. When the kid showed up again, the two scolded me and told me to be have myself.

HarmNone
10-11-2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Ilvane
They are trained, and should know better, to be honest.

Someone can give a great interview and be totally in character and act differently outside of the manor, to defend the society a bit.

I haven't been around as much as I would like lately, but I really don't like the looks of that log, for sure.

-A

I realize that one can act one way during an interview and another when actually serving the community. That is always a problem that must be faced.

Perhaps a "silent probation" of sorts could be initiated, wherein after the Mentor is approved (at least, they THINK they are approved) he/she is watched by another mentor or two while just going about everyday living in Elanthia. It might take a bit of doing, but I would think it would catch at least some of these idiots.

I do not know what kind of manpower the Mentors have to carry through on something like this, but it sure looks like a more effective way of weeding out those who are not suited to mentoring is needed.

HarmNone

LaVaca
10-11-2003, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Xcalibur
The fact is they think it's roleplaying. Name me one person that read the policy, the whole 20 pages every now and then to be sure they're walking in the right track.

It's up to simu to make it stop, and do they nothing. So screw simu, not the playeres (that surely don't even know it's "forbiden")

I read the policy ... many times. Didn't have any choice of course

Betheny
10-11-2003, 05:30 AM
Now, if you had read them as you are prompted to do when you begin playing... would you have had to read them again :?:

Kurili
10-11-2003, 08:33 AM
I think I shall be a Mentor. Doesnt seem to require much. And yes, I'm being sarcastic. I know MANY Mentors I think do a wonderful job, and I'm sorry, there are a few I just cringe to even think of them mentoring.

Perhaps not being sarcastic about Mentoring. Someday.

Acolyte Kurili

HarmNone
10-11-2003, 08:40 AM
I find myself wondering how these mentors are chosen. Do they have to be recommended, or can anybody with a few months experience in GemStone apply to become one? If the latter, how is the application screened?

Something is sure not working somewhere.

HarmNone

Betheny
10-11-2003, 08:50 AM
I never even got as far as an interview, and I don't know why.

Parkbandit
10-11-2003, 09:01 AM
Just because a character is especially nice, does not automatically make them a good mentor.

I think this was the case here.

Parkbandit
10-11-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by LaVaca

I read the policy ... many times. Didn't have any choice of course

And look how great you turned out.:rolleyes:

There is a difference between reading and comprehending. You claim you've done the first.. but you've shown you haven't done the second.

StrayRogue
10-11-2003, 09:03 AM
It goes the other way too. Tierus is hardly the height of purity, yet makes a good Mentor.

Betheny
10-11-2003, 09:06 AM
Yeah, Tierus has done some things to piss me off, but I would say that most of what I have a problem with him regarding would be considered 'extreme circumstances'.

However... I have never seen Tierus be OOC. I have never seen him beat the crap out of someone. I have never seen him help someone do something against policy, such as slam, logout while dead, etc.

Miss X
10-11-2003, 09:08 AM
I applied twice before I got an interview, and during the interview I was convinced I'd made an idiot of myself but it was ok. Before I became a mentor I was seriously thinking of quitting GS but doing it has put a bit of magic back into playing.
I only do it because I love helping novices, little empaths are my fave because I remember the people that helped me out when I was new, learning how to heal etc and I'm so glad I can help other people learn too.
I think the training part is pretty good, and even after your training period, there are always people around to help you out if you get stuck etc.
I'm sure there were people who didnt think I should be a mentor, but at the end of the day I never abuse the fact that I am one, I love doing it and I really hope the novices I've helped get on a little better in the lands because of it and I think 99.9% of mentors feel the same.
Vx

Betheny
10-11-2003, 09:09 AM
I'd love to be able to show younger clerics (or any younger character, for that matter) that you can pull off a dark character, and not be an asshole.

Weedmage Princess
10-11-2003, 09:15 AM
Hmm...I agree with you, Klaser. A *major* pet peeve of mine is people who do things like that when not whispering or sending a private thought.

Maybe you could have been a bit more diplomatic with the whisper...but you did say she's a "Great Lady" so she really should know. Maybe she's an E-Bay'er. Either way, yeah...that was way lame.

Parkbandit
10-11-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Maimara
I'd love to be able to show younger clerics (or any younger character, for that matter) that you can pull off a dark character, and not be an asshole.

You don't have to have the title of "Mentor" to help anyone.

Ilvane
10-11-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by HarmNone
I find myself wondering how these mentors are chosen. Do they have to be recommended, or can anybody with a few months experience in GemStone apply to become one? If the latter, how is the application screened?

Something is sure not working somewhere.

HarmNone

Yeah, they get screened, then they get sent to us, and get interviewed. Not all of the Council agree on who gets chosen. I'm extremely picky, so I always say no to someone I have doubts about, but I don't always get to every interview either. All I can say about Shinoboo is I have never really seen her be a jerk to someone when I have seen her around. Maybe she was having a bad night. Of course, I don't know her well.

I don't have many warrior mentors for probably a good reason. I will watch them in town just to see how they act, or I will just talk to them.

Some of the really great mentors were not nice people in the game, as characters. It doesn't mean they can't be great mentors, though. Setzier for example.

Anyway, I've gone on enough..;)

Maimara, did you even apply? I don't remember seeing your application come through.

-A

[Edited on 10-11-2003 by Ilvane]

Betheny
10-11-2003, 12:03 PM
I did apply. A few months ago. I was told to apply again, but I'm pondering if it's even worth it. Perhaps it is, but I don't have as much time now as I did then to dedicate to it. Then again, they only require a small amount of time per month, right?

Ilvane
10-11-2003, 12:04 PM
Yeah, six hours a month, it isn't bad.

-A

Betheny
10-11-2003, 12:06 PM
It'd give me a reason to play, I guess, heh.

Trinitis
10-11-2003, 12:24 PM
I never even got as far as an interview, and I don't know why.

Its really quiet simple.

If you have ANY offical warnings, ANY offical write ups. You cannot be a mentor.

I've got 10 years GS experience, and at LEAST 3 mentors that vouch for my RP'ing skills, and they will not accept Adredrin as a mentor because the friend who owned him before I did (he gave adredrin's account to me when he left) had 2 offical warnings.

-Adredrin

Trinitis
10-11-2003, 12:25 PM
And yes, this upset me quite a bit. I get no chance at it. I only have one Char that would fit "RP" wise of being a mentor. Adredrin. My theif is well..a theif..and my warrior is a moron. Whats the point?

So, I can't be a mentor. I've wanted to for years, yet, I don't even get a single shot at it.

-Adredrin

Betheny
10-11-2003, 12:40 PM
I don't know if I have warnings or anything. I don't believe I do. I didn't even get a response from them, at all. SHouldn't they send you an email saying why you've been rejected?

Parkbandit
10-11-2003, 12:41 PM
I don't know if I have warnings or anything. I don't believe I do. I didn't even get a response from them, at all. SHouldn't they send you an email saying why you've been rejected?

You can assist/refer to find out if you have any official warnings.

Ilvane
10-11-2003, 12:47 PM
It's not a sparkling record, necessarily. I don't think one official warning would keep someone off, if they were reformed.;)

-A

Adhara
10-11-2003, 03:15 PM
I applied a couple years ago. I got an email saying they didn't need any mentors at this time but would keep my application for when a position opened up. They said if I didn't hear back from them to submit again 6 months later. About 3 months after this email, two of my friends (who didn't know I had applied) became mentors! I was so disgusted by Simu's lack of professionalism that I never reapplied.

Sometimes I get tempted again but I try to resist.

Parkbandit
10-11-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Adhara
I applied a couple years ago. I got an email saying they didn't need any mentors at this time but would keep my application for when a position opened up. They said if I didn't hear back from them to submit again 6 months later. About 3 months after this email, two of my friends (who didn't know I had applied) became mentors! I was so disgusted by Simu's lack of professionalism that I never reapplied.

Sometimes I get tempted again but I try to resist.

Lack of professionalism because they didn't select you?

Damn.. I thought I was arrogant. :smug:

Betheny
10-11-2003, 04:29 PM
More like because they make promises and dn't follow through on them.

But hey... it's Simutronics. Synonymous with unreliable.

Adhara
10-11-2003, 04:32 PM
I never said they were not professional for not selecting me. In fact, I thought I made pretty clear what the problem was. I wasn't contacted for an interview when they said they would. When I told my friend about what happened, she asked the Mentor GM what happened with my application and apparently they had no record of me ever applying. THAT's the lack of professionalism.

Ilvane
10-11-2003, 04:35 PM
It's not really professionalism, it's the technology losing stuff.

I had to apply three times before I was even selected for an interview. I'm now the warrior council..so it's not always about applying once and getting in, sometimes that happens, but usually it takes time and patience, something that we require as mentors anyway.;) heh

-A

Trinitis
10-11-2003, 05:55 PM
Ilvane? Could you post the link to apply again? I'm going to try something..

-Adredrin

Ilvane
10-11-2003, 06:06 PM
https://www.play.net/gs3/apply/mentorapp.asp

I think that will bring you to the application.

-A

Klaser
10-11-2003, 07:41 PM
Shinoboo says, "welp I must make dinner"
>
Shinoboo says, "I'll be back"
>
Shinoboo chuckles.
>
Tiktok sniffs at his solid chocolate Halfling.
>
You feel at full magical power again.
>
Liesa asks, "where ya wanna go?"
>
Shinoboo just left.
>
Isola drools at Tiktok!
>
Rascl says, "aye..I have the cherry cordial..I'm leadin"
Liesa grins at Rascl.
>
Rascl grins.
>
Tiktok murmurs a simple, mystical chant...
>'How is she gonna make dinner if she left?
You darkly ask, "How is she gonna make dinner if she left?"

Askip
10-11-2003, 08:00 PM
<< You quietly whisper to Shinoboo, "This isnt AOL" >>

You've heard the flies/honey/vinegar analogy?

<< Shinoboo says, "and the gms agree" >>

A line was crossed there. How fine a line? How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
The initial whisper had a negative and perhaps belligerent tone. I also do not know if the players have a history. If a player has a problem with a mentor they can take it up with staff.

<< Just because a character is especially nice, does not automatically make them a good mentor. >>

Tierus and Setzier were good examples. As Celtic and Starsnuffer explained it, you need to handle each new character as individual. If you as a Dhe'nar mentor think a novice halfing is going to shit a brick if you invite him for dinner as an appetizer, well then don't go that route and instead just offer the basics.

However, if you sense that the player has an RP background, then the gloves can come off and a good time can be had by all.

Also, if I am tired of getting Haasheked(tm) for spells, I can be very rude with my refusal. :)

<< You don't have to have the title of "Mentor" to help anyone. >>

Amen. And, don't think your help is not appreciated because it is. If it weren't for the guidance of the majority of the populous, the new faces we see every day could think they were in AOHell.

<< and they will not accept Adredrin as a mentor because the friend who owned him before I did...had 2 offical warnings >>

I'd think it would depend on how much time has passed. You should reapply, I'd say the odds against no mentors having warnings are pretty long. I'll also stand up for you if it helps any.

<< I agree there should be a probation period >>

You'll rarely see a new mentor onduty without a helper/observer. It can be intimidating to be a new mentor with folks looking for answers that you may not have or be allowed to provide, and getting the rude side of someones mouth for your efforts.

http://www.dm.net/~aldamus/Mentors/GemStone/frames4.htm

is the GS3 mentor homepage, the lore and history pages are linked from there.

Askip

Askip
10-11-2003, 08:10 PM
<< You darkly ask, "How is she gonna make dinner if she left?" >>

From my perspective, that one is pretty weak on your part. You seem to be nitpicking, perhaps you do have a history with her?

Exiting the game with people in the room may not be everyone's cup of tea, but leaving can also mean leaving the room if you are willing to suspend disbelief.

HarmNone
10-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Askip
<< You darkly ask, "How is she gonna make dinner if she left?" >>

From my perspective, that one is pretty weak on your part. You seem to be nitpicking, perhaps you do have a history with her?

Exiting the game with people in the room may not be everyone's cup of tea, but leaving can also mean leaving the room if you are willing to suspend disbelief.

Absolutely agreed, Askip. If someone says: "I must go prepare the evening meal.", then exits the game, the message is that the character has left. It makes perfect sense to assume that the character left to make said evening meal.

In the first posted case, I agree that Shinaboo was way out of line with the emoticon, and with mentioning GMs outloud (that could just as easily have been whispered). However, in this most recent log, I see nothing amiss with her behavior.

HarmNone

Adhara
10-11-2003, 09:35 PM
I agree that it could pass as roleplay if she had left the room *by walking* to a secluded location before logging. However, she's made it plain that she was not talking about a RP'ed dinner. That really bugs me, the player, because it's obvious she wasn't roleplaying. My character, however, cannot say where she went when she "left" so I couldn't let myself react to something like that in game.

While she couldn't be officially scolded for this second log due to a lot of possible interpretations, I think it does demonstrate one thing clearly: she was not just "having a bad RP day" the other day.

HarmNone
10-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Adhara
I agree that it could pass as roleplay if she had left the room *by walking* to a secluded location before logging. However, she's made it plain that she was not talking about a RP'ed dinner. That really bugs me, the player, because it's obvious she wasn't roleplaying. My character, however, cannot say where she went when she "left" so I couldn't let myself react to something like that in game.

While she couldn't be officially scolded for this second log due to a lot of possible interpretations, I think it does demonstrate one thing clearly: she was not just "having a bad RP day" the other day.

I agree, Adhara. The overall impression is of someone who really does not put much effort into roleplaying.

The last log when seen from an in-character viewpoint is not problematic. The other characters would simply see someone leave after announcing intent to go prepare a meal. It is we, the players, who realize a gaffe has been made. Nevertheless, if one presumes oneself a guide for new players, it would be much better to rise and amble off toward home. :)

HarmNone

Ilvane
10-11-2003, 10:06 PM
I'm sure if someone were to follow around anyone for a time and critiqued everything they did, they would find something wrong. Not everyone is perfect.

Now if you all think you would make good mentors, apply, because we need good mentors! :)

-A

AnticorRifling
10-11-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Ilvane
Not everyone is perfect.

-A

I find that in poor taste. Anticor is perfect in every way. If he had a middle name it would be flawless.

But he's also humble so it all works out.

Kurili
10-12-2003, 08:23 AM
Now if you all think you would make good mentors, apply, because we need good mentors!

Perhaps I'll let my Warrior apply someday. She's the friendliest and most helpful of the bunch anyway.

Acolyte Kurili

Ilvane
10-12-2003, 06:13 PM
Warriors are very wanted! :) And I am easy to get along with, really.

-A

Betheny
10-12-2003, 06:15 PM
My warrior's only twelve. And I don't know much about warriors. How are you guys set for decent clerics?

Methais
10-13-2003, 09:40 AM
<<Now if you all think you would make good mentors, apply, because we need good mentors!>>

I've applied several times over the past few years, and never even got a response back from them. I do have warnings on my record but most of them are from years ago when I was a noob and didn't really even know what I was doing was wrong.

I'd make a good mentor too I think, but they won't even look at my application because I warnings instead of a nice and fluffy everything's dandy in Wonderland record.

It wouldn't bother me so much if half of the current mentors weren't complete OOC idiots that have their heads completely up their asses, but got accepted as mentors because they have a clean record and are giggly and bouncy.

Askip
10-13-2003, 08:29 PM
<< most of them are from years ago when I was a noob >>

I would apply again. A note to GS3-Mindra explaining your history could not hurt either.

Ilvane
10-13-2003, 09:33 PM
Maimara, I would apply again if you want to be a mentor. Cleric is fine too!..:)

-A

Methais
10-13-2003, 10:12 PM
<<I would apply again. A note to GS3-Mindra explaining your history could not hurt either>>

I said MOST of my warnings were from when I was a noob. My last one was in February, but before that it was probably like 2+ years since I got one. I've applied 3 or 4 times over the years and have e-mailed Mindra with my last 2 applications, and got completely ignored everytime.

Maybe if I act like an OOC moron and act all dumb and dingy about game mechanics they'll hire me, since that's what most of the newer mentors seem to be like.

I'm surprised Vif hasn't become a mentor yet.

Xcalibur
10-13-2003, 10:14 PM
I still don't see the use of being a mentor.
You must works 6 hours for them, for zero dollars and I am sure that you don't see a lot of new players (only oldies making new characters). So what's the point?

take those 6 hours and cash hunt, exp hunt, annoy people!

Methais
10-13-2003, 10:22 PM
I dunno. Maybe I should just start standing around Silverwood and start answering questions while the other mentors stand there with a question mark floating over their head.

Nothing against the smart mentors, but there are a lot of idiot mentors these days too.

StrayRogue
10-13-2003, 10:23 PM
Theres a lot of idiot GMs too.

theotherjohn
10-13-2003, 10:27 PM
I still don't see the use of being a mentor.

on thought network, ability to fog anywhere in the land are the main two.

I use to love watching Lisa fog from illistim to the rift heal someone there then fog back to illistim

as an aside that was good times hanging outside the choco shop with Panthyrr.

whatever happened to him I wonder?

Adhara
10-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Abusing mentor mechanics to heal friends? Isn't that grounds to be kicked out or worse?

edge
10-13-2003, 10:37 PM
The hardest realization to accept about Simutronics was this. They don't play by the rules they make. If you can learn to accept that, then you will not be so frustrated by things ingame and you will enjoy it. But being a Taurus I could not accept it.

Methais
10-13-2003, 10:42 PM
At the very least it would probably get you kicked out. I'm sure that doesn't stop a lot of them from abusing it though, especially empaths that can be in and out and fried in an instant when a pal incinerates himself.

There should be some kind of flag attached to the MENTOR GO verb so that if they gain experience, it alerts the GMs and/or the other mentors, since MENTOR GO is for teleporting to another town, which is only supposed to be used for official mentor stuff, which doesn't include gaining experience. Once the MENTOR RETURN verb is used, the flag is deactivated.

That's how it should be anyway. If an actual item existed that let you teleport yourself to any town at whim, I can only imagine what its coin value would be. The closest items to that I know of are Dartaghan's crystal ball (Ciston has it now) which is basically a cross realm 116/225 item but no longer works with Teras and is valued at around 400-600m (though it'd likely be nerfed if someone bought it ...when Windi bought it they were gonna nerf it to only be useable once every 4 or 6 hours I forgot which. Ciston bought it back and they haven't nerfed it...yet), and the Darkstone Key which Tsin currently owns. It's basically a gold ring that has one side set to Darkstone, and you can set the other to wherever you want, Teras included.

As badass as these items are, neither compare to the MENTOR GO verb, which is why it's only supposed to be used for official mentor business. You teleport to wherever you need to go, do what you gotta do, then use the MENTOR RETURN verb (or whatever the syntax is) to return to where you teleported from.

If they just let mentors fog all over the place whenever they wanted, everybody would want to be a mentor.

[Edited on 10-14-2003 by Methais]

Gan
10-13-2003, 10:57 PM
The Mentor Society is only as good as its weakest link...

I know of a Mentor who tries to pick up women by whispering to them that he's a Mentor as he's flirting with them.... in fact he tries to pick up every woman on Teras... my fiancee included. Perhaps the weakest link resides between his ears... methinks.

I love helping folks who need it, and love a good RP session when its not a freak fest... someday I might grow up and be a Mentor.

Ilvane
10-13-2003, 11:01 PM
I don't know what you all think, but we are not allowed to fog wherever we wish and go hunt and things.

Aside from that, we do keep an eye on people when we can. I'm not around 24-7 but there is usually a council around at least, and the GM's can see when someone teleports all over creation too. You can't go from the rift to Illistim and fog all over the place. People would notice these things.

I don't know how long ago you are talking about "John"

-A

Methais
10-13-2003, 11:14 PM
I dunno, I've seen some people in the rift that still need mentor help <cough>

Hulkein
10-13-2003, 11:24 PM
Wait, when they buy characters they don't come with a mentor automatically? I'm surprised Simu doesn't throw that in for another 15 dollars.

Methais
10-14-2003, 12:12 AM
Mwuahahahaha