PDA

View Full Version : Disintigrating Disks

radamanthys
11-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Fortune smiled on me. I was sitting around, and a disk shattered in front of me and dropped a set of Siren Scale.

How evil is it to keep it, and what's the statute of limitations on claiming it?

I mean, simu policy is to NOT keep valuable items in a disk, and in the essence of roleplaying my character WOULD keep it.

Etiquette says? In the essence of the game, taking all real world concerns aside, it's an easy choice. But, is it stealing? I know theives who have stolen much more in their day than would equal the going rate on a set of armor.

Tips from the PC community?

Apotheosis
11-14-2005, 09:15 PM
UM. it's mine.

seriously though. it's simu's policy to allow you to keep it. Unless the person suffered a "crash" due to the result of a mixup on simu's part.

It's polite to return it to the person who lost it, but not necessary.

beef
11-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Now that you've revealed what the item is, you'll have a hard time distinguishing between con artists and the real owner.

Bobmuhthol
11-14-2005, 09:21 PM
I'll be the first to say that I would not go looking for the owner and would ignore the owner to the best of my ability if I saw him looking for it.

radamanthys
11-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Oh, lol, I know what character's it is. That's not the issue :-)

I'm just wondering, cuz I could walk away, or give it back. I see him pretty often, so i'll probably give it back.

Much to my chagrin. In the spirit of the game, i'd keep it. People don't play that "spirit of the game" thing very often. It'd be more trouble than it's worth.

What's the going rate on Siren Scale these days? :D

radamanthys
11-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Luckily, he probably doesnt know I have it- unless he reads these boards :-p. If he does, then I guess i'm screwed...

But if I lost my 6x swcp fulls, i'd whine like a little girl to anyone who listened. Mostly cuz they're so hard to find.

Temptation... Temptation....

Kitsun
11-14-2005, 09:30 PM
I'd give it back.

Hunters in OTF find each others gear all the time and return it. Although your situation wasn't forced by game mechanics per say, and it is damn stupid to put 5 or 6m silver armor in a disk.

You never really know when someone might return a favor... and it would be the decent thing to do.

radamanthys
11-14-2005, 09:46 PM
Either that, or make him pay half of it's value to get it back :-p

I win, he loses less that he would if I kept it. We both come out halfway.

I'll prolly just pussy out and give it back to him, if he asks. I see him all the time, and there's always something another player could do for ya.

Healing... Rezzing... Tuning my mandolin... assessing an item... spellups/enchanting...Lockpicking...Resist Nature...

Wait... Sorcerers are useless to other players, except other sorcerers. Crap. I want ensorcell!

The Cat In The Hat
11-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Even though I want another set for another character I have (I love siren scale) I would give it back if that happened to me.

Unless it belonged to anyone who's made my "yellow" highlight color. Then they're just fucked. You have to be a big asshole to make that color :)

radamanthys
11-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Siren Scale is great stuff. Makes the decision that much harder.

I want to sell it off sooooo badly. A free 5m would be sooo nice... would almost double my bank account after EG totalled it.

Speaking of that, i have to sell my EG stuff...

Sean of the Thread
11-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Speaking of which I have a set of Siren Scale for sale.. maybe two.

Jonty
11-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Keep it! His fault he put it in a disk... fucking retarded.

radamanthys
11-14-2005, 11:20 PM
It IS his fault...

What to do.. what to do...

I see him pretty often, but 5m is alot of silveries.

I might sell it- it's in my RP and this IS just a game.

<cowers>

Trinitis
11-14-2005, 11:24 PM
I know the same boat you are in. I had the same problems with my Rogue, Oran. He was RP'ed as a big time con-artist and a theif. It was really hard for me to stick to that because I don't like stealing from people I know/like. In the end, I would most likely end up giving it back.

radamanthys
11-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Is this stealing?

Trinitis
11-14-2005, 11:38 PM
IMO? Yes and No. You did procure something that does not belong to you in a less the stellar mannor. But it was also not your fault to begin with.

I was mainly pointing out that I understand the trouble you are having with the desision, and explaining that I'd personally give them the armor back.

Kainen
11-14-2005, 11:58 PM
It's not stealing.. but if you are smart you'd give it back. Who knows when the situation might be reversed?

radamanthys
11-15-2005, 12:11 AM
Noone else was through the room... I just happened to see the disk shatter. In other words, i would have no clue it was his, or more to the point, even if it IS.

*Shrug*

I'll RP with him a bit... if my character likes him, i'll give it back. If not, i'll dismiss him. That seems fair, and within gameplay.

Kiowa
11-15-2005, 12:13 AM
That didn't happen to be Rythn's disk, did it?

radamanthys
11-15-2005, 01:51 AM
nope

Drew
11-15-2005, 02:17 AM
Well, if you keep it, which I'm fine with my character wouldn't but I don't begrudge you if your character would, it's a good GS lesson for him/her. I just can't understand people who put things like that in disks or on the ground or anywhere but on their person unless they really don't care about the item at all.

Daniel
11-15-2005, 02:46 AM
Fuck em.

Numbers
11-15-2005, 03:21 AM
I think by the fact that you're even asking, and that you're having doubts about your decision, the best thing to do would probably give it back.

Hell, if you want, RP it out like you stole it so you can keep your image.

But if you're going to feel guilty about it in real life about a virtual set of virtual armor, just return it.

radamanthys
11-15-2005, 03:50 AM
Honestly, the fact that I know I'll be happier if I sell it worries me more than this poor dude's feelings.

I was just wondeing how shitty, on a scale of 1-10 it would be to keep it. I've gotten about a shittiness level of 3-4.

Sadly, if I never posted this, I don't think anyone will really even know...

Latrinsorm
11-15-2005, 01:15 PM
What you have to take into account is that the armor isn't necessarily his. Anyone could have put it in there by accident. I'd say ask him if he lost an item. If he says yes (and gets that it's armor), give it back free of charge. If he says no, you just made yourself a quick 5m.

It's not stealing because you didn't willfully remove it from his possession. The rule in GemStone is that anything on the ground is fair game. As a person, it would be pretty crappy to not give it back if it's his. I think a 3 sounds about right, mostly because swcp is horrendously overrated.

Nilandia
11-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Personally, I'd give it back. Yeah, it's a virtual item, but it's another person you're dealing with, and you even know who it is.

Nilandia

Czeska
11-15-2005, 01:23 PM
I'd give it back, but I think karma's a bitch.

WTF is siren scale, anyway.

Asha
11-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Sell it!
The other guy will probably just get out his other set of swcp brig anyway.
Don't assume he's totally gonna be crippled without it.

If you can't convince yourself of this then just sell it anyway. I'm sure you'd give him some of the proceeds if he even came to you about it. Then slap him for being so dumb, of course.

Jorddyn
11-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Keep it.

Shortly before I left, someone repeatedly stalked me and stole items as soon as I opened my disk. According to the GM I spoke with, this is fully within policy, so I don't see why you keeping something that fell out of a disk would not be.

And, if you can, kill him a few times for good measure. And log off whenever he comes after you.

Better yet! You know he puts expensive items in his disk. Stalk him, watch him put something in his disk, THEN kill him and steal it. Yup yup.

Jorddyn

[Edited on 11-15-2005 by Jorddyn]

Alfster
11-15-2005, 01:52 PM
After seeing what happened to Ax I'd fucking sell it.

Czeska
11-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Shit, seeing how bad Ax got fucked is one reason I'd give it back.

Well, unless it was Ax...

(kidding)

Kainen
11-15-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Jorddyn
Keep it.

Shortly before I left, someone repeatedly stalked me and stole items as soon as I opened my disk. According to the GM I spoke with, this is fully within policy, so I don't see why you keeping something that fell out of a disk would not be.

And, if you can, kill him a few times for good measure. And log off whenever he comes after you.

Better yet! You know he puts expensive items in his disk. Stalk him, watch him put something in his disk, THEN kill him and steal it. Yup yup.

Jorddyn

[Edited on 11-15-2005 by Jorddyn]

So basically you are saying.. do to someone else what was done to you?

Showal
11-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
I'll be the first to say that I would not go looking for the owner and would ignore the owner to the best of my ability if I saw him looking for it.

agreed

Chaddy
11-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Keep it.

Jorddyn
11-15-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Kainen

So basically you are saying.. do to someone else what was done to you?

Um, yea, I was being a smart ass. Apparently, it did not come across too well.

Well, the part about me being stolen from was bitter. The rest was smart ass.

Jorddyn

radamanthys
11-15-2005, 04:23 PM
if he had logged right back on, then I'd say... oh maybe he had a connection failure or something.

He logged out with it in there, it was as good as gone.

BTW. siren scale leathers are 5x swcp reinforced leather.

radamanthys
11-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Ya, chick found out I had her armor. It was someone named Starshatterer. IMmed me. Kinda odd to take it oog, but whatever. I suppose i'll give it back.

Too bad, too. Coulda used the 5m!

Sucks to lose something like that though. I woulda been pissed at myself for bein dumb about it.

I was pretty sure i'd give it back next time I saw him, anyhow. I woulda felt too dick keeping it.

I better get 5m silvers worth of nice points outta this.

[Edited on 11-16-2005 by radamanthys her, not him, chick not dude]

If anyone sees her, i'm looking for her as well.

[Edited on 11-16-2005 by radamanthys]

Jayvn
11-17-2005, 03:43 AM
have a high end bard sing to it for the last owner, if it's an asshole keep it. That simple.

Jayvn
11-17-2005, 03:43 AM
oh right i should read page 2 before i post.

Drew
11-17-2005, 04:12 AM
She said she was offering a reward, how much did she give you?

Bijon
11-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Ah, if you're even asking about it here, you should give it back. In the end it's just a game, you'll come out the better for it.

radamanthys
11-18-2005, 02:06 PM
It's back to it's owner. No harm, no foul.

Warriorbird
11-18-2005, 04:07 PM
I'd have sent it back. Very few people/thing combinations I'd keep from in GS in that situation.

radamanthys
11-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Aye... plus GS is like a gient inbred family. Everyone knows everyone around here. I'm a pretty decent Faendryl, so it worked out. Starshatterer is pretty cool, too, and it's always nice to have someone who you can whisper "wanna go hunt" to, and not get PEER (targeted)

Devixnightsin
11-22-2005, 02:22 PM
Well just make sure and place a nice slap on her head everytime you see her... oh and mock her with cute things like.. "so lose anything from you disk lately", "oh nice disk ya have there does it hold expensive armor very well?".. and so on

radamanthys
11-22-2005, 02:32 PM
hahaha, good idea

Hakonne
11-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by The Cat In The Hat
Even though I want another set for another character I have (I love siren scale) I would give it back if that happened to me.

Unless it belonged to anyone who's made my "yellow" highlight color. Then they're just fucked. You have to be a big asshole to make that color :)

Holy Shit, that's funny!

Hope I'm not in yellow,

Hak