PDA

View Full Version : Virtual property yields $100,000

Gan
11-13-2005, 09:42 PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- A Miami resident has bought a virtual space station for $100,000 and wants to turn it into a cross between Jurassic Park and a disco.

Jon Jacobs, a director of independent films, plans to call the space resort, in the science-fiction themed game Project Entropia, "Club Neverdie." Like other land areas in the game that has been visited by 300,000 players, the resort grounds will spawn dinosaur-like monsters, which visitors can kill.

Jacobs will take a cut of the virtual resources that the carcasses yield, like hides.

Jacobs, 39, plans to hire famous disc jockeys to entertain visitors once a week or so at the resort but still reckons on netting $20,000 a month from the hunting tax and other income.

"I want to operate this thing at the level of a major nightclub in a major city," Jacobs said.

Jacobs bought the property late last month from MindArk PE AB, Project Entropia's Swedish developer. The game, which has no subscription fee, has its own currency but it's convertible at a fixed rate to dollars.

About a quarter of the purchase money came from Jacobs' in-game earnings.

Over three years playing Project Entropia, Jacobs accumulated items that later became worth thousands of dollars, like first-aid kits and powerful weapons.

He sold those items last year to buy an island in Project Entropia, but was outbid -- it sold for $26,500, the previous record sale in that world.

He refinanced his house shortly after and considered investing some of the cash in the hot Miami real-estate market, but he realized that if he bought a rental property, it really wouldn't generate any income beyond what he'd pay for the mortgage and repairs.

So he invested the proceeds in the game.

IGE, a leading broker of game property, said it has handled deals worth more than $100,000, but would not provide details because of client confidentiality.

SOURCE (http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/biztech/11/10/virtual.real.estate.ap/index.html)

We've been going at this ALL wrong I tell you. :(

Janarth
11-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Hot damn....

The Ponzzz
11-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Same game that guy bought an island resort for 30k....

Soulpieced
11-13-2005, 09:57 PM
We've been playing the wrong game.

Apotheosis
11-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Umm, ITS A SCAM. It's probably an inside investment.

Fission
11-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Not necessarily a scam. Look at how much publicity they've gotten (AP wire, CNN and elsewhere) for effectively turning over a small chunk of their game to this guy. The fortune-seekers brought in by it will more than make up for it, I'm sure.

Kitsun
11-14-2005, 10:24 AM
I've never heard ANYTHING about this game besides when people make landmark sales. Not a damn thing about graphics, gameplay, servers, blah.

How are these guys even on the damn radar? Anyone have a link to their site? How does this game draw people for so much cash when more popular games like WoW don't?

Jolena
11-14-2005, 10:29 AM
I would assume it draws people to the game because 1) you don't pay to play and 2) there is no policy against selling items for RL cash, in fact, this particular game is BASED around selling items and making RL cash and even encourages it.

That is how it draws people in vs. WoW, I would wager.

Warriorbird
11-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Why it can be worth it is selling off the property on it and due to the fact that people will pay cash for in game occurences there. It'd be like a player owning EG, if GS was comparably sized to a mid range MMORPG.

Trinitis
11-14-2005, 11:20 AM
I'm so setting up a Dragonbones in that game!

Apotheosis
11-14-2005, 11:53 AM
2 quick points (Warriorbird made an excellent one here!)

1> This reflects one trend in advertising/marketing thinking where "consumers own/control the brand". It makes perfect sense.

2> I am well aware of why it is attractive. To be able to play video games while earning a living is some people's dream job.

I was joking about it being a "Scam".

crazymage
11-14-2005, 12:00 PM
eh it's not really a dream job i do not enjoy gem nearly as much since i became a partner in gsauctions, i used to just sell for them and i played gem all the time. now that it's a business to me i barely ever log in just to play unless Chica needs some cyber lovin.

radamanthys
11-14-2005, 04:57 PM
I'd buy the Landing, for a cut of all the shops and gems, and furs. Especially with 300,000 people coming.

Sean of the Thread
11-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by radamanthys
I'd buy the Landing, for a cut of all the shops and gems, and furs. Especially with 300,000 people coming.

All 50 of the people in the landing? I smell windfall profits.

Anebriated
11-14-2005, 07:30 PM
The reason its not a big name game is because its too much of a grind. You have the option to connect a credit card to the game where you can purchase items in game directly from a credit card, or in game currency. Pretty much unless you invest a large amount of time and money into the game you have to just grind it all out for new weapons, etc.