PDA

View Full Version : Poison Elemental Bows (ATTN: Drew and Amber)

Kitsun
11-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Sooo I get to test out the third poison bow from the EG. If either Drew or Amber would like to compare notes, I'll be posting them in this thread.

Base Item: a black oak longbow
Base Enchant: 4x
Loresong: No
Weight: 3lbs

Like the other elemental bows it can:
Generate its own arrows when FIRE'd
Ignores STR bonus when calculating fire time

Like the WD bows:
The arrows generated go from +1 to +30. Although my testing has only gotten a variance of 28, but I didn't fire it a couple hundred times yet.

Unlike the other elemental bows:
The poison bows don't seem to be permablessed. I'd think its because poison wouldn't really bother undead.

Flare frequency:
I'm not sure if it is because of the small sample size but I noticed a different in the amount of flares when uphunting versus underhunting. Uphunting the bow flared once every 10 shots or so. Underhunting it actually went off maybe one out of six but also triggered twice in a row at times.

Flare types:
I've found five different types of poison flares so far. I really wish I had access to the Dhu poison effects and the new Serpantis poison flares to see if they resemble one another. Anyone happen to have any clips of them in action?

Can't really identify what any of the poisons do without shooting a PC, I'm going to need to find me a willing target. The one that seems to damage the eyes actually didn't leave visible damage when I LOOKED at the creature. There is one type that always seems to make them fall over. I have no idea what the wither and smoking skin poisons do.

UNKNOWN:
**A spray of a noxious toxin flies from your witchwood arrow bathing the Ithzir janissary in a vile substance!**

SMOKEY SKIN:
**Droplets of smoking black liquid spray from your witchwood arrow! The festering taint watches in horror as its skin begins to smoke!**

WITHER:
**A brackish foul-smelling solution from your witchwood arrow splashes the gremlock, which quickly begins to wither!**

Eye Damage:
**Drops of oily residue fly from your witchwood arrow, drenching the gremlock!**
**The gremlock claws at its eyes!**

Knockdown:
**Noxious liquid from your witchwood arrow showers the festering taint which falls to the floor and large, oozing blisters begin to form.**

Slimer:
**A malodorous toxin spits from your witchwood arrow, and slimes the face of the Ithzir scout!**

[Edited on 11-9-2005 by Kitsun]

Edited to add another poison type. The Slimer.

[Edited on 11-9-2005 by Kitsun]

Amber
11-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Haven't had much chance yet to use mine, but I did notice that I can kill kiramon defenders (puncture resistant, so usually my arrows just bounce right off of them.) if the arrow flares when it hits them.

I found a willing victim that let me shoot him repeatedly, but I never got flares while shooting him. He did get poisoned each time I hit him, however, unless he was already poisoned. Poisoning ranged from 2hp per round to 48, but didn't seem to relate to the damage from the arrow wound itself. Average poisoning was around 24.

One thing that was odd, however, is that for either of my archers, firing time was 3 seconds. For a friend, it was four, but perhaps that's because he doesn't have any training in archery?

I bet I could get my friend to be a target again if you'd like to get together and work on figuring out the bows some time. I could heal, you could shoot, he could stand there and tell us what each poison does.

Kitsun
11-09-2005, 11:23 AM
On the RT note, If he's an ambusher, maybe your friend had his AIM set. Make sure he clears it first.

Are you saying that he gets poisoned each time an arrow connects with him? It doesn't have to do the spray thingy? That is spiffy. That means the flares may be doing some other weird ass thing besides acting as a Damage Over Time.

You might be safer using herbs to heal your friend. You can get a warning for healing damage you're inflicting.

Amber
11-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Nope, he's not an ambusher. Yes, he gets poisoned each time an arrow connects, unless he's already poisoned. I didn't know about the warning for healing wounds I inflict. :( Guess I'll have him shoot me instead.

Showal
11-09-2005, 11:32 AM
I'd like to see the poison damage be cumulative. You'd be unstoppable if after 3 hits the victim had like 20 hp/turn poison damage.

Showal
11-09-2005, 11:32 AM
What I meant to say is, "you'd melt faces".

Amber
11-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Yeah, it'd really be something if the poisoning was accumlative.

hectomaner
11-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Showal
I'd like to see the poison damage be cumulative. You'd be unstoppable if after 3 hits the victim had like 20 hp/turn poison damage.

this is really moot, because if you arent killing in 1 shot, 2 max, then you suck as an archer

Amber
11-09-2005, 12:55 PM
But if you could poison cumulatively, you could theoretically go after critters much higher trained than you and kill them with just the tiniest scratches.

drigore
11-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Those poison flares are the same as the high end vials from the Dhu. I still have a lockerfull of them for my poison hilted baselard. I think they can go upwards of 75/per when they flare, really nasty stuff.

Showal
11-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by hectomaner

this is really moot, because if you arent killing in 1 shot, 2 max, then you suck as an archer

I don't think it's really a moot point. A broad statement like "if you aren't killing in 1 shot, 2 max, then you suck as an archer" is pretty generalized and doesn't apply to all situations. Regardless, when I hunt something my level, I usually take them out in one or two shots. However, were I to try and kill someone almost 50 levels over me with a bunch of signs and a blue crystal, most likely they will be stunned and damaged, but with the loss of spirit, I wouldn't be able to hit nearly as hard again. Or if I shot someone in plate. So there you go, reasons why the comment was not that irrelevant.

Kitsun
11-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by drigore
Those poison flares are the same as the high end vials from the Dhu. I still have a lockerfull of them for my poison hilted baselard. I think they can go upwards of 75/per when they flare, really nasty stuff.

Do all of them match up? Or just some of them? Do the messages vary based on the quality of the poison or the poison strength?

Drew
11-09-2005, 04:35 PM
I will definately be running a full battery of tests if I ever get the damn thing.

Amber
11-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Just a few examples of the poisoning the bow does

XXX draws back on his black oak longbow and a black witchwood arrow appears.
XXX fires a black witchwood arrow at you!
AS: +204 vs DS: +205 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +100 = +124
... and hits for 19 points of damage!
Strike pierces thigh!

**Drops of oily residue fly from XXX'switchwood arrow, drenching you! **
**You claw at your eyes!**

You have the following scars: a scar across your face, a scar across your neck, old battle scars on your right arm, old battle scars on your left arm, old battle scars on your right leg, old battle scars on your left leg, old battle scars on your right hand, old battle scars on your left hand, an old battle scar across your chest, several painful-looking scars across your abdominal area and an old battle scar across your back.

Maximum Health Points: 123
Remaining Health Points: 104
You are feeling pretty good.

Maximum Spirit Points: 7
Remaining Spirit Points: 7

Maximum Stamina Points: 73
Remaining Stamina Points: 73

Poisoned! Taking 28 damage per round. Dissipating 5 per round.

(Note, no actual damage done to my eyes.)
AS: +201 vs DS: +195 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +99 = +130
... and hits for 17 points of damage!
Minor puncture to the left leg.

!P>heal
You have the following injuries: some minor cuts and bruises on your left leg.
You have the following scars: a scar across your face, a scar across your neck, old battle scars on your right arm, old battle scars on your left arm, old battle scars on your right leg, old battle scars on your left leg, old battle scars on your right hand, old battle scars on your left hand, an old battle scar across your chest, several painful-looking scars across your abdominal area and an old battle scar across your back.

Remaining Health Points: 106

Poisoned! Taking 20 damage per round. Dissipating 4 per round.
!P>

AS: +215 vs DS: +195 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +56 = +101
... and hits for 1 point of damage!
Poked in the tummy.
Hehehe.
!P>stop 120
A rolton trots northeast.
!P>
With a moment's concentration, you terminate the Lesser Shroud spell.
The very powerful look leaves you.
The white light leaves you.
!P>heal

Remaining Health Points: 122

Poisoned! Taking 40 damage per round. Dissipating 1 per round.

AS: +208 vs DS: +205 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +91 = +119
... and hits for 11 points of damage!
Minor strike to the neck.
!P>heal
You have the following injuries: minor bruises on your neck.

Remaining Health Points: 112

Poisoned! Taking 34 damage per round. Dissipating 5 per round.

StrayRogue
11-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Those poison flares are taken from Khal's poison weapons from last year. I had a greatsword with the same abilities.

drigore
11-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Do all of them match up? Or just some of them? Do the messages vary based on the quality of the poison or the poison strength? [/quote]

My understanding has it, each flare is a different amount of poison. I don't know if they stack or anything. You'd have to test each flare and compare, and of course, I'm sure there's some kind of variable base that each flare is set to. I do know I hamstrung someone and my blade flared up for 75/per. Each of the poison levels as far as the vials go all have the same messaging. If all that makes sense.

Kitsun
11-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Appreciate the explanation, pretty sure I've got it.

Drew2
11-09-2005, 07:44 PM
What I meant to say is, "you'd melt faces".

Face melting will occur.

StrayRogue
11-09-2005, 07:57 PM
The original poison weapons flared a poision with a specific dot. The highest/most expensive poison gave a 75 per.

Amber
05-23-2006, 09:17 AM
For some weird reason, my bow now has a 4 second rt for my empath, but still 3 seconds for my ranger. No aiming, no hiding, so I'm confused. Anyone else with one of these experience this? She did have a 3 second rt when she first won it, but hasn't used it in ages as my ranger's been using it.

Kitsun
05-23-2006, 10:45 AM
The second one has been sitting on a playershop self for the past few months. The owner of the third has been on sort of a leave but I'll ask her if she ever logs onto AIM.

Amber
05-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Thank you, I'd really appreciate it. I can't figure it out.

Kitsun
05-25-2006, 04:32 PM
My friend finally logged in her wizard to hunt with her bow. RT is still 3 seconds.

Are you absolutely positively sure the AIM isn't set?

Drew
05-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Yeah try aim clear.

Amber
05-25-2006, 07:18 PM
I did, no change. I've a friend who always has a 4 second rt with it too. Guess I'll bug it.