PDA

View Full Version : France

Apotheosis
11-08-2005, 05:40 AM
You better believe that if this was happening in the US, we'd be kicking some ass right now.

http://www.gpariseau.com/imagery/1.jpg

4a6c1
11-08-2005, 05:57 AM
Person in media: "MR PRESIDENT. Excuse me! MR PRESIDENT? Dont you think its time to bring in the Army?"

Mr President puffs slowly on a girly cigar and says: "Oui, Oui. I know yes. I dont think we have reached that point yet. Maybe when Robespierre has my head on a guillotine and the Armed Services have joined the rebels I will find it necessary to call to Arms."

disclaimer: president only said some of that.

Asha
11-08-2005, 06:04 AM
France should sink into the sea.
That is all.

Apotheosis
11-08-2005, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Drayal
That is all.

You're British, so you're biased. However, what's up with that country? do they feel the need to overthrow the "upper-class" every 150 years or something?

4a6c1
11-08-2005, 06:17 AM
Theres just too much wine(add h after w) in that country.

Czeska
11-08-2005, 07:16 AM
I know I"ve been sick for a week and a half, but I realized just how much news I'd missed when I saw that the first time I heard about what's going on in France, was from the next clip after that stupid cheerleader video.

Warriorbird
11-08-2005, 07:22 AM
Southern France is okay. The rest of the country gets a big eh from me. I could definitely understand rioting/revolution.

Parkbandit
11-08-2005, 08:20 AM
I heard France is expected to surrender to the terrorists.

Unique
11-08-2005, 09:38 AM
France jokes are so two years ago.

Ever think about forming your own opininions rather than believing stereotypes?

Just wondering. I know it's an absurd idea.

That is all.

Sean of the Thread
11-08-2005, 09:42 AM
"France being a pussy" jokes are timeless. I tell my daughters one everyday at breakfast.. some day they will tell their children and they will tell their children....

Asha
11-08-2005, 09:42 AM
They're changing their national flag to a white cross on a white background. .

Jesus, I'm sorry.
That was 2 years ago wasn't it! :P

Czeska
11-08-2005, 09:46 AM
I went to France once, had coffee, bought a small oil lamp and left. Took about 2 hours total and I'd had enough.

Yes, I'm serious.

Unique
11-08-2005, 09:52 AM
I enjoy a good France joke as much as anyone.

What's the French military's secret two handed salute?

Envision the answer for yourself.

Moving on, of course, I have lived in France for quite a while. There is nothing wrong with a society based on bread, wine, cheese, and fuel efficient cars.

I heard an analysis of the American opinion of France and Germany once, and found it very interesting. Most Americans consider Germans to be masculine and the French to be feminine. Our perception of their actions follows from the above dichotomy. When Germany spoke out against invading Iraq we were annoyed but we treated the German response as mature and attempted to talk to them logically. When the French spoke out we were outraged and considered them annoying pansy whiners.

I found it interesting that we associate gender with cultures.

I also found it interesting that Americans seem predisposed to perceive women as whiny.

Discuss.

Wezas
11-08-2005, 09:54 AM
I enjoyed the Daily Show's surrendering jokes about France last night.

Asha
11-08-2005, 09:56 AM
<< I also found it interesting that Americans seem predisposed to perceive women as whiny >>

Heh, nice sweeping generalization.
Isn't that what you were complaining about?

Latrinsorm
11-08-2005, 09:57 AM
If you had to put up with men, you'd be whiny too.

As for France: Yeah, it's pretty f-ed up. Citywide curfews are never a good sign.

Unique
11-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Heh, nice sweeping generalization.
Isn't that what you were complaining about?

Sorry, a sweeping generalization would be "Woah wtf AMericans are sexist!!!1 and the french are pu55y!!!oneone"

I didn't say that.

The report I heard traced the reaction of Americans to the French to our perception of their culture's gender. I extrapolated from that analysis a general disposition to the female gender, such disposition being necessary for the original analysis to hold.

Thank you for your time.

Apotheosis
11-08-2005, 11:38 AM
:rofl:

And now they're instituting curfews. How is that going to solve the problem?

Do they expect them to think to themselves, "gee, I really wanted to firebomb this building, but since there's a curfew instituted, I'm going to have to obey the law now."

Granted, the reverse effect will happen, and it will be much easier to identify and subdue the rioters, but umm, I think we're beyond that point.

Skirmisher
11-08-2005, 11:39 AM
On topic, I found it interesting reading of the unrest and wondering how we would be trying to counter it ourselves.

I keep vacillating between thinking it is mostly true unhappiness created by economic and social inequalities and wondering just how much of this is being helped by extremist groups.

I also cannot help but admit some small part of me took satisfaction in seeing France which trumpets itself this great educated open thinking society suffering from oh so similar difficulties as us unenlightened Americans. I then feel badly for thinking that but do my best to suppress such feelings of guilt.

Originally posted by Unique
When Germany spoke out against invading Iraq we were annoyed but we treated the German response as mature and attempted to talk to them logically. When the French spoke out we were outraged and considered them annoying pansy whiners.

Well that was one person's opinion perhaps.

I am one of those always willing to engage in a bit of French bashing so take this as you will.

I think that France got such a negative reaction from the US because their own reaction to the US policies on Iraq were based not at all on a moral high ground but on the fact that they had significant economic interests in keeping things as they were.

You say you lived in France then you should well be aware of the huge French ego that exists. You should also be aware that France looks out for France just like the U.S. does all the while deriding us for doing so. The manuevering in the EU, the attempts to bully the newer eastern european members. The use of such stereotypes as the "polish plumber" in the recent votes.

In summation, I know darned well that US shit stinks, but I also know that French shit stinks, but they like to pretend that it doesn't.

And welcome to the PC.

Warriorbird
11-08-2005, 11:41 AM
:shrugs: I've always thought of the Northern French as masculine in an annoying way. Stuck up assholes. Perhaps it was just the sheer amount of petty larceny my parents and I experienced on our most recent trip. My father sidekicked a guy trying to pick his pocket and the bastard had the indignity to look offended. My mother got pickpocketed in Notre Dame on Christmas Day and the French police were the least helpful foreign cops I've ever met, and that includes the Romanian police (who can at the least be bribed).

The South there has some of the most relaxed pleasant people on Earth, however. I can't say I detest all French people, as we had a wonderful time there. The rest of the country? Not so thrilling.

Apotheosis
11-08-2005, 11:42 AM
Skirmy for president!!!!!!!

Unique
11-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Yswithe
:rofl:

And now they're instituting curfews. How is that going to solve the problem?

Granted, the reverse effect will happen, and it will be much easier to identify and subdue the rioters, but umm, I think we're beyond that point.

You answered your own question actually. The point of curfews is so that anyone on the street after time X is criminal by definition.

As for effectiveness? Who knows. It's fairly standard practice in crowd control, however, used in the recent past in places as diverse as Baghdad and New Orleans.

Just wondering. What would you do differently, if you were the French authorities?

Latrinsorm
11-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Move to America.

Terminator X
11-08-2005, 12:10 PM
These are pussies, just not the same kind of pussies baring the ethnicity that France is thought of traditionally in the minds of most Westerners.

That being said, the riots began the day Paris Hilton visited Paris, hrm :thinking:

- The Termite

xtc
11-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
I heard France is expected to surrender to the terrorists.

What terrorists? That is like calling the people who caused the LA riots terrorists.

Terminator X
11-08-2005, 12:20 PM
^

I find it extremely difficult to draw any sort of correlation between the LA riots and the riots going on in France right now. Aside from the fact that they are both riots stemmed from oppression, the spectrum of what the civilians are corresponding to in "riot-form" is waaay, way different.

- TX

Warriorbird
What terrorists? That is like calling the people who caused the LA riots terrorists.

Fox News, Bill O'Reilly, and the Drudge Report just got Parkbandit into the habit and he can't quite break it, you see.

[Edited on 11-8-2005 by Warriorbird]

Gan
For sale:

1 French infantry rifle.
Never fired
Dropped once.

xtc
11-08-2005, 12:29 PM
The people rioting are French born Muslim youth whose parents emigrated from North Africa and Arab countries. They are frustrated with their lack of prospects in France, the way they have been marginalized and how they can't get a job because they are Muslims.

Now while I don't agree with their actions I can understand their frustration. If the President rolls the Army in, as a first action, it will only makes things worse in the long run. If things keep going the way they are then eventually he may have no choice but to roll the army in.

Despite some examples of famous American blacks moving to France in the 20, 30's to escape American prejudice, France is not known for its accepting attitude to minorities or immigrants.

[Edited on 11-8-2005 by xtc]

Terminator X
11-08-2005, 12:31 PM
That's kind of problematic when a third of your population is angry Muslim. How much longer does Chirac's term go for?

Sean of the Thread
11-08-2005, 12:39 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/Japgross/french-army-knife.jpg

Unique
11-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Nice one Xyelin.

I suppose both the historical basis of the surrender-ready French and the steadfast Swiss can be attributed to their geography. Paris happens to sit on some of the least defensible land in Europe (second to Poland maybe) while Switzerland is basically impossible to crack with a non-mechanized force.

France has won battles more recently than Switzerland though. Gotta give them credit there, if battles deserve credit.

Sean of the Thread
11-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Unique
Nice one Xyelin.

I suppose both the historical basis of the surrender-ready French and the steadfast Swiss can be attributed to their geography. Paris happens to sit on some of the least defensible land in Europe (second to Poland maybe) while Switzerland is basically impossible to crack with a non-mechanized force.

France has won battles more recently than Switzerland though. Gotta give them credit there, if battles deserve credit.

Yeah one such battle comes to mind... uhm..Dien Bien Phu.

Kainen
11-08-2005, 01:07 PM
That is all.

:yeahthat: