PDA

View Full Version : SAT tips?

Artha
11-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Anyone have SAT tips? I've got to take them tomorrow to boost my math score to 600 (from 580). I'm pretty solid on the theories and all that, but anything else anyone's been able to figure out would certainly be appreciated.

HarmNone
11-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Knowing you, you're well prepared. Just get a good night's sleep and eat a good breakfast. The brain needs rest and food to perform at its best. ;)

Skeeter
11-04-2005, 07:34 PM
do some exercises before you start, and at each break. keep you alert and blood flowing.

avoid sugar and caffeeine. bring a bottle of water.

or just put C for everything

Daniel
11-04-2005, 07:57 PM
What happens when you get a 600 in math?

I got a 1280 total I just remember which one was 600 and which was 680. I took it hung over in an army educational center 2 years after highschool so I can't really give you any tips besides to make sure you know how to write cursive. I don't and it was a pain in the dick trying to write out that paragraph at the end.

Warriorbird
11-04-2005, 08:04 PM
Take it like ten times. Study your Algebra.

Artha
11-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Virginia Tech's School of Engineering will consider my application seriously.

YancyDC
11-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Daniel

I got a 1280 total I just remember which one was 600 and which was 680. I took it hung over in an army educational center 2 years after highschool so I can't really give you any tips besides to make sure you know how to write cursive. I don't and it was a pain in the dick trying to write out that paragraph at the end.
Ha, I hate that thing. I had to do it for the LSAT, too, and it took me longer than than the actual test. I hate cursive. :mad:

Warriorbird
11-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Work on going over practical formulas. I raised my math score from the high 400s to the mid 600s with practice. There's lots of people smarter than me at math (many I'm sure who read this forum) but a lot of them probably started with high scores.

radamanthys
11-04-2005, 10:11 PM
I got a 1490... figure out the problems, and do them.

The english sections are just whether you read as a kid or not, basically.

Be sure about your answers, and if you can eliminate an answer, guess. If not, skip the question, cuz the likely result of you getting it right are slim.

longshot
11-05-2005, 02:53 AM
Adderol or Ritalin.

Get the dosage down before you take the test though... or you'll spend 45 minutes counting the floor tiles...

Sleep well the night before, and the night before the night before.

Cardio helps. Blood is good.

Volstock
11-05-2005, 01:25 PM
good night sleep, good breakfast, do a little jogging if you want to relieve some tension....and remember the SAT are gear for mediocre kids/people. I.E 5th grade reading levels and 8th math....honestly if you can't score above a 1200 I'd smack you...I seriously would find you and bitch slap you.. If you serious about that school your going to, find out what it's reknown for and get hella community service time for that area alone...I wanted to get into Berkley and they have a good med program so I used all my free time from Sophmore-senoir year volunteering in hospital work and I got in. They didn't even need to look at my SAT.

[Edited on 12-13-2003 by Volstock]

Stunseed
11-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Or have mad engrish skillz like Kazami.

When I took the SAT's and scored higher than Tayre, I really just did a quick rundown of the formulae I needed to know, and drilled for a bit.

Volstock
11-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Stunseed
Or have mad engrish skillz like Kazami.

When I took the SAT's and scored higher than Tayre, I really just did a quick rundown of the b]formulae[/b] I needed to know, and drilled for a bit.

And you making fun of me?

Artha
11-05-2005, 02:35 PM
I swear they made the math harder than the last time I took them...

I pwned the english again, though. Hopefully I did alright enough on the math that I bumped up my score.

Stunseed
11-05-2005, 09:19 PM
< And you making fun of me? >

for·mu·la ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fôrmy-l)
n. pl. for·mu·las or for·mu·lae (-l)

An established form of words or symbols for use in a ceremony or procedure.
An utterance of conventional notions or beliefs; a hackneyed expression.
A method of doing or treating something that relies on an established, uncontroversial model or approach: a new situation comedy that simply uses an old formula.
Chemistry.
A symbolic representation of the composition or of the composition and structure of a compound.
The compound so represented.

A prescription of ingredients in fixed proportion; a recipe.
A liquid food for infants, containing most of the nutrients in human milk.
Mathematics. A statement, especially an equation, of a fact, rule, principle, or other logical relation.
Formula Sports. A set of specifications, including engine displacement, fuel capacity, and weight, that determine a class of racing car.

You were saying?

Warriorbird
11-05-2005, 09:40 PM
He needs to focus on footbal versus pro wrestling.

Kembal
11-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Too late now for me to add tips, though I suppose you can retake in Dec/Jan if necessary...what I did when I took it was to take multiple practice exams (bought that 10 Real SATs book) under timed conditions, spacing them out over a month, but doing 3 the week of the exam itself. The night before, I reviewed every math question I missed, and tried to figure out why I missed them. (got help from my dad there, but any friend good in math can help with that) Generally, it was me being careless.

Ended up bumping my math score by 70 points from the practice exams. Verbal, I always pwned, so never worried about it.