PDA

View Full Version : Soul Calibur 3 Appreciation Post

Kitsun
11-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Picked up a copy on the release date last week and wooooo, loads of fun! Still my favorite fighting game series.

Character creation is nice. Having randomly generated ones can make for some good laughs... and chilling moments. I've been afraid to randomly generate one since some shirtless dude was a dancer profession with a pair of tambourines wiggling around the screen.

You can actually piece together outfits for Sauron and KOSMOS. I think you can toss together one for Kenshin but I haven't actually tried yet. I did manage to piece together a Harlequinn and Drizzt for shits and giggles.

There's tons of material to unlock. The whole quest mode is a lot better than the previous version, probably because it was designed for console play and not adapted from the arcade.

There's a crazy amount of different fight styles now too. Kunai Ninjas for teh win.

Drew
11-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Kitsun
Picked up a copy on the release date last week and wooooo, loads of fun! Still my favorite fighting game series.

Character creation is nice. Having randomly generated ones can make for some good laughs... and chilling moments. I've been afraid to randomly generate one since some shirtless dude was a dancer profession with a pair of tambourines wiggling around the screen.

You can actually piece together outfits for Sauron and KOSMOS. I think you can toss together one for Kenshin but I haven't actually tried yet. I did manage to piece together a Harlequinn and Drizzt for shits and giggles.

There's tons of material to unlock. The whole quest mode is a lot better than the previous version, probably because it was designed for console play and not adapted from the arcade.

There's a crazy amount of different fight styles now too. Kunai Ninjas for teh win.

I own SC II, how do they compare?

Hips
11-01-2005, 03:35 PM
SC III is WAY better than SC II, in my opinion. There's just so much more material in this new one.

And... I definitely made a "Dancer" named Jessa who prances around in next to nothing and beats the crap out of people with her tambourines. :saint:

[Edited on 11-1-2005 by GS3 Michiko]

AnticorRifling
11-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Marry me.

Drew
11-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Is Talim still in the game? She's my favorite fighter.

Hips
11-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Drew
Is Talim still in the game? She's my favorite fighter.

Yeah, she is.

The Korean
11-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Talim's my main as well. And she rocks in SC3. Though I have to relearn how to play now, the AI in the game is too block happy.

Drew
11-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by The Korean
Talim's my main as well. And she rocks in SC3. Though I have to relearn how to play now, the AI in the game is too block happy.

Does she still say "Talim, believe in yourself" and "Wind: guide me!" and other ridiculous things?

The Korean
11-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Dunno. I was playing a buddy's, and he has the japanese audio enabled.

radamanthys
11-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Kilik is the shit in SC3.

Rock is good for those damned "hit the guy into the wall" missions.

Workin on unlocking characters now.

Kitsun
11-01-2005, 05:54 PM
SC3 is definately better than SC2.

Better graphics, more characters to choose from, character creation, a tournament mode, etc.

Ohyeah, they have decent ending cutscenes for once. No more cruddy pictrues and blocks of text to read!

Hips
11-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Sophitia replaced Cassandra as my main character, because they changed a bunch of Cassandra's moves and I don't like using her as much anymore.

And Tira is awesome. :D

Kitsun
11-01-2005, 06:07 PM
I was ready to bash my head against a wall trying to use Tira to beat Abyss. She's got some really awful, slowass moves.

I'm glad Sophitia is back. It is a damn shame her first outfit is stinky. Color edit on the second outfit though turns her into a heartbreakin' redhead.

Hips
11-01-2005, 06:14 PM
My question... is what's with Abyss's crazy Mortal Kombat-esque move where he pulls you in using gravity or whatever? That pissed me off so much.

Kitsun
11-01-2005, 06:17 PM
That move really ain't so bad, if you manage to block it then it gives you a small opening to throw his ass.

Did you unlock Nightterror yet? Now he was one freaking nasty bastard. Nothing that big and strong should be allowed to swing that freaking fast and sweep across half the goddamn arena.

Hips
11-01-2005, 06:20 PM
No, we didn't unlock him yet... what do you have to do to get him?

Kitsun
11-01-2005, 06:23 PM
I think you can only do it with four or five different characters. I'll check with my lil bro.

You have to play through the story mode, go undefeated against virtually everyone and instead of Abyss you'll end up fighting Nightterror where you can lose as much as you want... Okay that was vague, I'll get better info.

Kitsun
11-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Okay, I know, GameFAQs, yar. But it tells ya how to access him.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/soul_calibur_iii_secrets.txt

Makkah
11-01-2005, 06:34 PM
That one Z dude (the desert nomad with the scythe) looked really cool...

Hips
11-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Makkah
That one Z dude (the desert nomad with the scythe) looked really cool...

Zasalamel... he can be a bitch to fight.

Volstock
11-01-2005, 11:46 PM
WHAT?! Mitsurugi FTW all the way!...but if I have to chose I'd say Nightmare is the best char in the game if you get his unblockable combo down...the timing is really...weird

Numbers
11-01-2005, 11:51 PM
I kicked ass with Ivy and Mitsurugi. I also became good with Raphael. He's fast as hell, really hard to block his moves and to land a hit on him.

I didn't even realize SC3 had come out. I was planning on going to the mall this weekend to pick up God of War and Shadows of the Collosus. I might have to add SC to the list. My credit card's gonna cry. :sniffle:

[Edited on 11-2-2005 by 3704558]

Kitsun
11-01-2005, 11:58 PM
Ivy's move set got switched to all sorts of weirdness. I didn't go through her move list but all her stances got changed. Can't keep her in whip mode when I want it to stay there.

Raphael is a sissy la la. That is all that needs to be said.

Hips
11-01-2005, 11:59 PM
Raphael is hot because he's all evil and his woman is even hotter. I would have Amy's babies.

Kitsun
11-02-2005, 12:00 AM
I thought Amy was like his daughter. She looks like she's 14.

Hips
11-02-2005, 12:02 AM
I got the impression that she's his lover, but I could be wrong.

Kitsun
11-02-2005, 12:31 AM
Found it in his profile thingy. Amy is his foster daughter. She has a cute emo thing going but looks totally illegal.

Hips
11-02-2005, 12:35 AM
Boooo, it was way hotter my way.

Terminator X
11-02-2005, 03:40 AM
Jesus, how did I miss this?

Daniel
11-02-2005, 03:42 AM
Exactly what I was thinking.

radamanthys
11-02-2005, 04:22 AM
I dunno- you apparently didnt get the memo :-p

Warriorbird
11-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Any game that lets you make Harley Quinn gets massive points.

:)

Hips
11-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Thought you guys might appreciate this...

Stunseed
11-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Step two people piss me off so badly.

Hips
11-02-2005, 09:41 PM
When other people do it, I call it cheating. However, when I do it... it's called fair. :lol:

Stunseed
11-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Using a combo is nice, over and over again makes you a 10 year old asian with too many fucking tokens on a school day. :(

Hips
11-02-2005, 10:00 PM
I meant the ring out bit.

Stunseed
11-02-2005, 10:03 PM
1 out of 5 match you can use a ring out, if given the opportunity. Anything more qualifies you for the above statement.

Kitsun
11-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Well, it is fun to lure opponents to the edge and do a little knee-bash for a ring-out. More so if you're at a fingernail of health.

Stunseed
11-02-2005, 10:39 PM
< Well, it is fun to lure opponents to the edge and do a little knee-bash for a ring-out. >

It's people like you who make the baby Jesus cry. If I were chilling at home, I'd prolly do that. Out in a tourament/arcade, I would feel real bad doing so.

Kitsun
11-03-2005, 09:32 AM
I think I'd feel exactly the opposite, Stun. At home, against friends I'd be aiming to goof off and just play. In a tournament, well anything goes since you're looking to win.

AnticorRifling
11-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Agreed. I don't pay money to lose. If the game allows me to do it then it's not cheating. I'll roll your ass every chance I get.

That being said I wasn't kidding when I asked hips to marry me.

Kitsun
11-03-2005, 10:34 AM
When did you become Mormon?

Hips
11-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
That being said I wasn't kidding when I asked hips to marry me.

When did Anticor ask Michiko to marry him?? (I assume you're refering to her when you say hips.) :(

Kitsun
11-03-2005, 11:43 AM
On the first page of this thread, Michiko. Right after your wiggling dancer post.

Hips
11-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Wow, I totally missed that. :oops:

Also, let it be known that MICHIKO is hips, not me. :flamed:

AnticorRifling
11-03-2005, 12:42 PM
If you're saying that you lack junk in the trunk then the wedding is off! :cool:

Hips
11-03-2005, 03:35 PM
I have junk in the trunk, but I'm not HIPS. And I don't think your wife would appreciate it. :P

Numbers
12-23-2005, 10:32 PM
I finally picked this game up the other day.

And the computer AI is totally whooping my ass.

I don't know why. In SC2 I could mow through single-player on the hardest difficulty and score a perfect on almost every match. In SC3 I'm getting my ass kicked by characters like Maxi. MAXI!

In any case, what's the easiest, cheesiest way to beat the AI? I wanna unlock all the extra characters.

Kitsun
12-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Use Xhiang Xua (sp?) and use her foward dash and horizational slash attack thingy. You can cheese out *most* computer AI with that because the side step is just enough to avoid most vertical counters and most horizontals won't connect (except for like Tira's).

I had the most difficulty with the tournament modes. I thought I was pretty darn good having played everything from Soul Blade on up but that tournament mode is humbling. I felt I got even better and the best I could do was go to the time limit using Taki.

Numbers
12-24-2005, 01:49 PM
I found a list on GameFAQ's that shows how to exploit the AI with each character, so that should at least get me through Tales of the Soul to begin unlocking other characters.

It seems I'm not the only one annoyed with the difficulty, as there's lots of posts about it on GameFAQ's and other SCIII boards. The difficulty wouldn't bother me so much if I could at least change it. The way that I got better in SC1 and 2 is that I started out on easy, then moved up to medium, then to hard. This let me gradually learn combos and the best way to use certain characters. In SC3, the difficulty is stuck on WTFPWNT!, so the game isn't giving me much of a chance to relearn the game. So, it's been more frustrating than fun, at this point.

And Chronicles of the Soul is pretty lame.