PDA

View Full Version : How to Understand a Republican, if you Have to.

Back
10-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Over the past few years we’ve all become accustom to the administrations tactics. Those tactics are lead, supposedly, by the person whom people say is a brilliant man. Karl Rove.

Well, having observed the party line tactics for a while now I offer my observations.

1. If you accuse a republican of something they will claim its partisan politics.

A seemingly airtight defense except when you consider that a republican’s entire motivation to attack is that everyone else is not republican. Who is playing partisan?

2. Everyone does it.

The lowest common denominator argument. Right, just because you have stooped back to Cro-Magnon man tactics doesn't mean everyone else has. Its very telling of your strategy though.

3. They will accuse you of whatever you accuse them of.

Clever, enough to make you think a second, but still diversionary and untrue.

4. Every source is biased.

Except yours? Nice try.

5. We have God on our side.

Need I say more?

I swear its like Rove kept his kindergarten schoolyard playbook and uses it to this day.

Warriorbird
10-29-2005, 09:25 PM
The unfortunate thing is that it works, Backlash. People are easily gulled in to working against their own interests. The Democrats do it too.

All of America is getting shafted by things like outsourcing...yet neither party does a thing about it.

Back
10-29-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Warriorbird
The unfortunate thing is that it works, Backlash. People are easily gulled in to working against their own interests. The Democrats do it too.

All of America is getting shafted by things like outsourcing...yet neither party does a thing about it.

I think you are wrong on that and have fallen into the republican spin trap.

There are many democrats trying to work on outsourcing, but like everything else, they are the minority right now and cant do much.

ElanthianSiren
10-29-2005, 09:39 PM
Politicans always have to please their constituents. Take Specter. He's a republican. I love him. He's on top of stem cells research and on the judiciary committee. He has yet to fail me in being a responsible representative. Take Casey too (the man I'm hoping wins against Santorum, whom I find to be a deplorable representatively). He's a Democrat catholic who is personally pro-life, but he recognizes the need to keep abortion safe, legal, and rare.

I think it's less a question of which party but which person.

-M

Drezzt
10-29-2005, 09:48 PM
Where's that attention whore picture?

:P

Gan
10-29-2005, 11:32 PM
Another Backlash anti-establishment, anti-republican, anti-capitalism, pro-ohmygodeverythingisgoingdowntheshitterquicksomeone lightanotherjoint thread.

blah blah blah blah blah.

:banghead:

[Edited on 10-30-2005 by Ganalon]

radamanthys
10-29-2005, 11:38 PM
Try being an informed Republican in college.

You'll change your tune. All the dems here are "bandwagon" and their politics don't reflect anything except the fact that it's "in".

Sad, really.

Gan
10-29-2005, 11:58 PM
hahaha

If Backlash were to convert to a Republican he'd be blacklisted from all those trendy wine and cheese socials where the politic cosmopolitans discourse on whats wrong with America before driving back to their comfortable condos in their fancy cars, and review their stock portfolios like good closet capitalists.

And of course the coffee shop poem recitals would not allow him to play the bongos while reciting left wing fanatical rhetoric because he would not be allowed inside sporting his "Friend of W" lapel pin.

That means he's actually have to spend his time reading the WSJ, Barons, or the latest edition of The Economist in order to keep track of the market so he can eventually retire and enjoy a life of golf and palm trees in sunny Florida in 30 years. :rolleyes:

Back
10-30-2005, 01:26 AM
Too predictable. #3 anyone?

Drew
10-30-2005, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by radamanthys
Try being an informed Republican in college.

You'll change your tune. All the dems here are "bandwagon" and their politics don't reflect anything except the fact that it's "in".

Sad, really.

Amen, 95% of college democrats (you almost don't need the democrat, since most collegians are democrats) have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. I respect certain democrats/liberal individuals because they are intelligent and don't just toe the party line but actually follow what they believe.

When I first entered school I would bait these bandwagon dems just to make them look silly but I don't really bother anymore, I used to think it might make a difference but there are just so many of them and they are so dense.

Drew
10-30-2005, 02:33 AM
People like Backlash also fall in this category. My aunt is like this, been out of college for decades but never changed her opinions. Revolution for the sake of revolution is tolerable when you are 20, laughable when you are old enough to know better.

radamanthys
10-30-2005, 03:42 AM
It's hard to find well-informed democrats in college. Most republicans here, though (other than the religious right- read: bible thumpers), by percentage, are very well informed.

Not bashing religion, but the ones who shove it down people's throats bug me.

I long, sometimes, for a well-informed Democrat who is in the mood to debate, rather than just tell me i'm a Nazi, Racist, insert adjective here, etc.

Hence, I agree with Drew- gotta respect a kid who knows what the heck he/she is talking about, and can keep the craziness out of it. On either side, i'd say.

radamanthys
10-30-2005, 03:42 AM
By the way, outsourcing is good.

Ilvane
10-30-2005, 07:13 AM
I used to love to have discussions with "informed" Republicans in college. Sad thing is they always thought I was uninformed because I was a Democrat. I just can't stand that.

The list is pretty good Backlash, and true in a lot of ways. I just wish there would be less blame game and more talk about how to get things going better in this country..across party lines.

-A

Parkbandit
10-30-2005, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Ilvane
I used to love to have discussions with "informed" Republicans in college. Sad thing is they always thought I was uninformed because I was a Democrat. I just can't stand that.

The list is pretty good Backlash, and true in a lot of ways. I just wish there would be less blame game and more talk about how to get things going better in this country..across party lines.

-A

I don't think it's because you are a democrat that people think you are uninformed. I know many very well informed democrats who bring tons of information to the debate.. instead of the same old, unsubstantiated moveon.org talking points.

Warriorbird
10-30-2005, 08:13 AM
"By the way, outsourcing is good."

I thought you were supposed to be an informed Republican.

;)

Spiralling spending is also fiscally conservative too, right?

[Edited on 10-30-2005 by Warriorbird]

radamanthys
10-30-2005, 10:19 AM
Fuck Bush and his spending.

Outsourcing is good because it helps businesses keep their bottom line down. Think, for example, in the software market. It takes Americans twice as long to write a program for twice the money at half the efficiency, just about. This way, consumers get better service and more competitive prices. Save for the Microsoft monopoly, but they're mostly insourced anyway.

In 20 years, the benefits of outsourcing will really begin to show.

Oh, and hooray for high gas prices. When gas prices go up, Alternative energy research goes up. And it REALLY has this time, lots of big developments recently. So we shell out for a couple months, then there's a couple years worth of big investment in sustainable alternative energy. How cool is that?

Gan
10-30-2005, 10:30 AM
Outsourcing = comparitive advantage

Probably the best concept that business ever adopted.

Only protectionist ideaologes would think otherwise.

ElanthianSiren
10-30-2005, 10:46 AM
I've a small question for those here: Exactly what do you mean by toting the party line?

Certainly, the same thing could be said for Republicans. -Take outsourcing. You've mentioned in coming years people will see the glory of the practice here at home. Where is your evidence, or are we here simply slamming people with alternative viewpoints?

People can talk about respecting others in a debate for their alternate view all they like, but the systematic categorization that occurrs says otherwise (on both sides).

-M

Parkbandit
10-30-2005, 11:21 AM
We wouldn't have to outsource anything if we did the smart thing and got rid of all the useless unions that artificially inflate wages and costs.

Warriorbird
10-30-2005, 11:59 AM

Or if you were, y'know, some sort of patriot. What benefits a company doesn't always benefit the country.

Getting rid of unions might lead to a bit of a backlash against the Republican Party, one thinks, though I can see where it would make the money making end happy.

And Rad...you sound like my damn Republican cousin from Arkansas. He's a perfectly bright fellow, but that still doesn't mean sustainable development and alternative energy sources are anything your party as a whole cares about.

Ilvane
10-30-2005, 12:52 PM
PB honestly it isn't because of the unions. If that were the case, the same kind of things that are going on now would have happened for more years than just recently.

As far as jobs go, I think what we need to do is make sure we get illegal immigrants out of here and not subsidize them, and not let them get those jobs from American citizens.

Keeping in mind I said "illegal" immigrants, legal immigrants can come whenever they want.;)

Outsourcing is allowed by the companies to save money. They don't care about us at all. Now if there was some incentive to keep business here, they would.

-A

Skirmisher
10-30-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Warriorbird

Or if you were, y'know, some sort of patriot. What benefits a company doesn't always benefit the country.

Getting rid of unions might lead to a bit of a backlash against the Republican Party, one thinks, though I can see where it would make the money making end happy.

And Rad...you sound like my damn Republican cousin from Arkansas. He's a perfectly bright fellow, but that still doesn't mean sustainable development and alternative energy sources are anything your party as a whole cares about.

WB said exactly what I was going to say in response to the whole outsourcing debate.

You may end up with a company that does really well, but you also end up with a company with no sense of belonging to any country. I want US companies to do well, but with emphasis on the US part first.

I want the companies to remember where they came from and have a dedication to keeping that place strong and whole.

Some outsourcing I can live with, but the bleeding has to stop before the US becomes too anemic to lift its head.

Why am I sounding more "republican" than many republicans? :wow:

radamanthys
10-30-2005, 01:07 PM
I know. I'm not exactly party line, though.
I'm quite socially liberal, and I think anyone who isn't is just harsh.

As for outsourcing, I have a pile of evidence proving and disproving outsourcing being a benefit. In the short term (one or so generations) it's DEFINATELY a bad thing. In the long run, however, as new industries grow up, it'll tend to make things easier. Like the shoe market. Rich as hell, and employs both here and abroad. That's what happens, companies remain here, so our country seems to be developing into a managment/service economy. It definately sucks for anyone who studied a professional career such as Computer Science, but managers and those in service professions are making a killing right now. I know most of the kids who dropped out of my high school to become electricians and plumbers are doing fabulously.

Latrinsorm
10-30-2005, 01:34 PM
It's about time we got rid of this whole notion of "countries" anyway.

Skirmisher
10-30-2005, 01:38 PM
Yeah!

City-States ftw!

Warriorbird
10-30-2005, 02:23 PM
It's about time we got rid of this whole notion of "countries" anyway.

Weren't your lot supposed to be against One World Government?

;)

Latrinsorm
10-30-2005, 03:06 PM
One planet, under God, doncha know. :saint:

Gan
10-30-2005, 03:13 PM
Thats hot... an illuminati conspiracy reference.

All seeing eye anyone???

DeV
10-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by radamanthys
It's hard to find well-informed democrats in college. Maybe at your college but definitely not mine. I talk with well informed Democrats and Republicans often in the classroom setting. It's not that hard unless you're looking in the wrong places.

radamanthys
10-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Must have a strong poli sci program or soemthing, because most of the kids here are pretty lost. Although, it IS a public school.

DeV
10-30-2005, 04:59 PM
I guess Grad school does make a difference.

Skirmisher
10-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Plus upstate NY is the republican part of NY state kind of helps his odds also.

Back
10-30-2005, 06:26 PM
I love how republicans claim that democrats have no direction or plans then turn around and say all democrats do is tow their party line.

Hulkein
10-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Backlash

I think you are wrong on that and have fallen into the republican spin trap.

I think you're a fucking retard.

Skirmisher
10-30-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein

I think you're a fucking retard.

And I think that you are the only person to have to resort to such name calling so far in this thread.

Were you simply unable to come up with a well worded response and decided to instead choose the cheap route or were you simply feeling lazy?

I only ask so i should know if I should just ignore only this last post of yours, or all of them in the future as you lack the ability to contribute to the conversations in a positive manner anymore?

Hulkein
10-30-2005, 08:30 PM
I'm just angry about the Eagles getting smoked, don't worry.

peam
10-30-2005, 08:32 PM
http://www.rit.edu/~tim9108/pics/cowboys2.gif