PDA

View Full Version : Daisy chaining Linksys routers

Ebondale
10-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Heres my predicament.

I have been using a 10/100 Linksys Router for some time now around the house and have been wanting to upgrade to a 802.11g wireless router.

Yesterday I purchased my wireless router, set up 128-bit encryption, set up MAC address filtering, everything.

Now. I have my wireless router sitting on top of my old router but I was thinking that I could probably daisy chain them together to have a few additional (wired) ports.

Has anyone done this?

Lets say I want to connect a cable from Port-4 on the wireless router to Port-4 on the wired router. Would I need to make it a cross over or should it be a straight-thru? Usually when you connect like devices together but some Cisco devices will perform a cross over on the interface for you.

I have all the cat-5, RJ-45s, and crimpers laying around to make myself a little 8" ethernet cable, I just don't know which kind I want to make. :)

Can anyone help me out?

Drew2
10-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Basically you'd just use one of the 4 ports on the Wireless to go into the WAN on the wired. Then I imagine you'd just disable DHCP on the wired router, so that the wireless handles all the IP addressing and there's no conflicts. Basically you're turning a router into a hub by turning off the routing part of it.

Not too complicated, I'd imagine.

Ebondale
10-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Hey, thats a good idea. So I'll connect Port-4 on the wireless to "Internet" on the wired and re-configure the wired router to turn off DHCP addressing. Hopefully that'll be as simple as aiming my browser to 192.168.1.1 and toying around with the settings a bit.

Thanks for the quick response! Do you think I'll need a cross-over between the wireless router and wired router?

Drew2
10-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Not at all. The router is just a 5 port hub (including uplink) with some software to manage IP addresses and the like. In fact, the box should even say "Router with 4 port hub". Hubs and switches can be used in chains given that you have some kind of addressing service somewhere on the network.

As far as setting up the wired router, I would directly connect to it to disable DHCP before adding it to the other router. Make sure to also change the address of that router while directly connected so when you connect it to the other, you'll be able to access it (can't have 2 routers having the same address!).

Sean of the Thread
10-30-2005, 08:41 PM
What Drew said..

Geek Squad POWER ACTIVATE!

Wezas
10-30-2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Xyelin
Geek Squad POWER ACTIVATE!

Holy crap, Xyelin said exactly what I was thinking.

Drew's dangerous now, he's got geek knowledge. Now to use some of those Best Buy Employee Discounts to furnish the new condo/apartment with goodies.

Drew2
10-31-2005, 01:46 AM
you'd be surprised at how little I've learned working at Geek Squad.

Most of this knowledge has been around for a long time.

Also, even with the discount, I don't have the money to furnish my apartment. My current furnishings include: A hand-me-down chase lounge (it's like a half-assed sofa but not really), a computer desk and chair (bought it a while back at BB), and an air mattress. My 1 bedroom apartment is pretty damn empty. Don't even the small kitchen appliances yet (ie. Microwave, toaster)! It sux.

[Edited on 10-31-2005 by Tayre]