PDA

View Full Version : well, it's happened

Apotheosis
10-23-2005, 01:59 AM
Friend of mine gave me a free copy of WoW.

Let the madness begin?

What server do I go for some fun?

Parkbandit
10-23-2005, 08:05 AM
Depends on what you are looking for... if you want to play on easy mode and call it roleplaying, I could suggest the Ardent Dawn server on the alliance side. Many carebears are there.

If you want to play the game the way it's meant to be played, then go to the Dunemaul server, horde side.

Apotheosis
10-23-2005, 10:58 AM
yes, Dunemal server, horde side it it. Who do I look for? Any current prof's needed?

Latrinsorm
10-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Nursing home attendants, based on who champions that particular server.

Parkbandit
10-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Priest or druid is what is most needed.

Apotheosis
10-23-2005, 11:28 AM
Which has the overall potential to kick more ass? Any racial suggestions? or does it even matter? (plz. say Tauren Druid = teh win)

Apotheosis
10-23-2005, 11:30 AM
Tauren Druid FTW (someone u2u me with the appropriate, GS related chat channels.) or just post them here

Parkbandit
10-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Yswithe
Which has the overall potential to kick more ass? Any racial suggestions? or does it even matter? (plz. say Tauren Druid = teh win)

Taren Druids are fine.. and they do kick ass. The guild needs more resto specced druids and priests right now, with all other classes closed to basic recruiting. We won't recuit anyone until they are level 40 and have a mount.. so HOP TO IT!

I'm currently away from the game on an assignment.. but it looks like I'll be back by 11/17 or 11/18 to be playing full time again.

[Edited on 10-23-05 by Parkbandit]

Nieninque
10-23-2005, 11:48 AM
Anticor did start a sub-40 guild though called "Me so hordy" for those lil HoR wannabe's to team up with other HoR wannabe's.

Do a /who hordy to see who is around and send one of them a tell for an invite.

Mention you know anticor so you get the invite.

Apotheosis
10-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Nieninque
Anticor did start a sub-40 guild though called "Me so hordy" for those lil HoR wannabe's to team up with other HoR wannabe's.

Do a /who hordy to see who is around and send one of them a tell for an invite.

Mention you know anticor so you get the invite.

LOL, leave it up to Anticor to create a name like that.

Can a Tauren Druid kick ass & resto well?

Apotheosis
10-23-2005, 12:14 PM
looks like 253 MB worth of patch/updates to download. see you all in 10 hours. :D

Apotheosis
10-23-2005, 12:14 PM
to be fair, downloadsing @ 360 KB/s

Axhinde
10-23-2005, 03:14 PM
Is Dunemaul more populated yet? I had a Mage on the Stormreaver PVP server and it was bananas.

Chastittee
10-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

Taren Druids are fine.. and they do kick ass. The guild needs more resto specced druids and priests right now, with all other classes closed to basic recruiting. We won't recuit anyone until they are level 40 and have a mount.. so HOP TO IT!

I'm currently away from the game on an assignment.. but it looks like I'll be back by 11/17 or 11/18 to be playing full time again.

[Edited on 10-23-05 by Parkbandit]

Oooo I have a tauren on Dunemaul. I should come harass you PB. :smilegrin:

4a6c1
10-23-2005, 08:34 PM
SUCKER!!

CMAN kidnapGeorgibacktoGemstone

Trouble
10-25-2005, 02:00 PM

Yeah, Tauren Druid is where it's at. Druids got some love lately and cows are the only choice for Horde. Druids have much more diversity than priests, although both become one-trick ponies at endgame if you plan on doing the big instances.

Is Dunemaul more populated yet? I had a Mage on the Stormreaver PVP server and it was bananas.

We had a few transfers from Tichonwhatever server like a month or so ago. Overall I think we're still a relatively low pop server. There are only 2 or 3 really large Horde guilds AFAIK. No idea on the Alliance side of things. Alorg would know.

Jennaen
10-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Just a bit of warning, as my tauren druid has been 60 for over three months now. If you plan to do the end-game instances... which, honestly, instanced PvP rather blows... you'll really want to be mainly Restoration spec'd. Resto druids fairly much suck in PvP. If you have good people around you that know how to take care of their healers, you can contribute nicely by keeping your tanks/rogues up, and /assist'ing them on their kills with moonfire or wrath. However, straight up nuking, you do NOT do enough damage to kill shite alone, unless you get really lucky. Most will say dire bear form is great, as it multiplies any armor value your armor has on it by 360%... but, unless you manage to shapeshift before anyone can hit you, you're screwed (and that's often the case.. screwed!). I find all that bear form does is make me die a tad more slowly.

One-on-one, a rogue who gets the jump on you gets to watch you lie at his feet before you ever get a chance to move. You will learn to damned well despise rogues, with a seething passion.

Other classes aren't so bad. You can shapeshift out of mages' sheep and ice effects, but if they have Improved Arcane Explosion, you're fairly much toast, as they vastly outdamage you. Warriors are fairly helpless if you root them, and nuke away from close range, so they can't use ranged on you. Hunters are the same, but their pet can beat the snot out of you, and if the hunter manages to stay at shooting range, you're screwed.

If you are looking for a good class for PvE and PvP both, I'd honestly suggest you go with the priest. Shadow priests are evil incarnate. You're expected to heal in instances, both throughout levelling, and in the endgame instances. My priest is 43, and full shadow.. and can keep a group alive as the sole healer, though she uses all her mana to do so. Not sure what I'm going to do with her by endgame.

Druids are fun while levelling, but, the one-trick pony certainly is fitting as a title for how they play at 60. My druid is a healer, period. It's a pain in the ass to farm gold alone with a resto. druid, that's for sure, and you'll need lots of gold for an epic mount, reagents, potions.. and if you're doing MC and such, LOTS for repairs.

Regardless of which healing class you ultimately choose/stick with, I seriously suggest choosing Alchemy/Herbalism for your professions, and encourage you to at least take First Aid, as well. You will need a LOT of potions.. mana pots, heal pots, etc. First Aid allows you to throw a mana-free heal on yourself and others in instances, and PvP, as well. Fishing and Cooking are also great to have. You'll need a couple of types of fish for Alchemy recipes, as well as some of the cooking recipes that give you Stamina and Spirit bonuses that stack with player-given buffs, as well as a recipe that gives you mana over time. Whatever you do, don't go with Leatherworking, if you want to make any money from your profession.

Chyrain
10-26-2005, 03:44 AM
Btw....Druids and Priests are needed horde-side on every server.

I personally have had a level 60 priest since early march...and if someone decided to roll a 60 druid on gilneas, i would usher you into my guild right away *looks at the 4 BOE Cenarion pieces sitting in my bank waiting for a druid to adopt them*

Nieninque
10-26-2005, 03:51 AM
Dont think you can roll a 60 druid...think you have to start at 1

Trouble
10-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Jennaen
If you are looking for a good class for PvE and PvP both, I'd honestly suggest you go with the priest. Shadow priests are evil incarnate. You're expected to heal in instances, both throughout levelling, and in the endgame instances. My priest is 43, and full shadow.. and can keep a group alive as the sole healer, though she uses all her mana to do so. Not sure what I'm going to do with her by endgame.

I disagree with the priest thing. In the 40-55 range they do really rock both PvP and PvE when shadow specced, but by 57-58 when you're forced to respec to Disc/holy, you become a doormat. Priests are always the first target in PvP and die very quickly against more than one opponent.

Sure, one-on-one I can do ok if I survive the initial hit(s), but like resto-spec druids, our only hope is to outlast our opponent until they run out of mana or get bored and leave.

Priests (regardless of spec) have no crowd control (fear is on a 26 or 30-second timer and is worthless with trinkets and talents anyhow) and no escape method (no travel form or stealth like druids).

Edited to add: Great advice on professions, btw, and I feel your pain on grinding loot/etc.

[Edited on 10-26-2005 by Trouble]

Tsa`ah
10-26-2005, 10:40 AM
We had a few transfers from Tichonwhatever server like a month or so ago. Overall I think we're still a relatively low pop server. There are only 2 or 3 really large Horde guilds AFAIK. No idea on the Alliance side of things. Alorg would know.

Onibatsu, Band of Brothers, Bound by Carnage ... those are the big 3 and I wouldn't recommend joining any of them. Every guild has it's share of ass hats and morons ... larger guilds just have a larger share. Due to the sheer size of the guild, there's nothing in it for the new recruits aside from waitlists and being a starving work horse ... and of course being part of a smear every time one of the dumb ass members does something that reflects poorly on the guild as a whole.

The hounds are more of a medium size guild, and we recently put the breaks on open recruiting ... thank god.

My advice is to play whatever is more fun for you, but if you want to be involved in a guild, go with a healing class. Melee and dps classes are a dime a dozen now, and you can't spit without a rogue being in the way ... and most of them suck as it is.

Roll a priest or druid and spec enough in the healing talents to make yourself desireable, but allocate enough in combat so you're not an easy target and can farm solo when need be. Once you hit 60, you are only desireable as a healer. Healing classes specced for damage and PvP rarely, if ever, get into end-game raids.

Apotheosis
10-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Well, finally got to do a dungeon instance thingy. I have to admit, this game is pretty damn sweet. Level 16 Tauren Druid. Working on leather/skinning right now as my class. I can see where soloing becomes a problem later on.

I can also see how this game can get incredibly boring and repetetive after some time.

The graphics are definitely the best that I have seen for an online MMORPG. Awesome work on the World design. (have been to Thunder Bluff, Ogrimmar, and the Undercity.

have something like 74 silver, but I can see earning being a pain in the ass, but so far people are buying stacks of 10 light leather for 5 silver, so I could certainly earn a bit doing that.

completely ignoring putting talent points into feral combat. Mostly dumping them in resto talents that seem worthwhile, then going to aim for some more balance ones.

Trouble
10-26-2005, 11:21 AM
Well, finally got to do a dungeon instance thingy. I have to admit, this game is pretty damn sweet. Level 16 Tauren Druid. Working on leather/skinning right now as my class. I can see where soloing becomes a problem later on.

I can also see how this game can get incredibly boring and repetetive after some time.

The graphics are definitely the best that I have seen for an online MMORPG. Awesome work on the World design. (have been to Thunder Bluff, Ogrimmar, and the Undercity.

have something like 74 silver, but I can see earning being a pain in the ass, but so far people are buying stacks of 10 light leather for 5 silver, so I could certainly earn a bit doing that.

completely ignoring putting talent points into feral combat. Mostly dumping them in resto talents that seem worthwhile, then going to aim for some more balance ones.

Which server did you decide on?

The best way to make loot is to pick two gathering professions. If I were to start over I would have picked herbalism and skinning. The things you make with the production skills rarely sell for more than what the ingredients would sell for.

And yes, the level of detail is amazing. I love how snow sticks to my feet and how dogs scratch their ears when idle, etc, etc. The range of scenery is zones is amazing too.

As far as talents go, I have no knowledge of druid talents, but put your points into what makes you the most effective hunter (like shadow for priests). Only at endgame will you be forced into a spec, so you might as well enjoy your power now.

Skeeter
10-26-2005, 11:44 AM
That's not entirely true about the production skills. Leather working is incredibly lucrative.

Also once I got the Enchanted Thorium Armor recipes I can sell them for 400g a pop and it only costs me around 150g for the materials. The only downside is I can only turn out one every 3 weeks with my current set up. A second alchemist though would cut that in half as all I'm waiting on is the stupid 48 hour arcanite timer.

nocturnix
10-26-2005, 12:15 PM
Friend of mine gave me a free copy of WoW.

Let the madness begin?

What server do I go for some fun?

Let the obsession begin. Prepare to kiss whatever social life you may have, and any freetime you may have goodbye.

For servers, if you are planning on doing any PVP I'd definately join a pvp server.

As for class, if you like casters be a shadowpriest, dwarf if your alliance, undead if youre horde. Believe me priests not only ROCK pvp, but they are very needed in pve as well.

If youre interested I have a 42 dwarf shadowpriest, mount, 300 enchanting and nice gear for sale from when I went crazy over the summer.

Trouble
10-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Skeeter
That's not entirely true about the production skills. Leather working is incredibly lucrative.

Also once I got the Enchanted Thorium Armor recipes I can sell them for 400g a pop and it only costs me around 150g for the materials. The only downside is I can only turn out one every 3 weeks with my current set up. A second alchemist though would cut that in half as all I'm waiting on is the stupid 48 hour arcanite timer.

Yeah, I was referring more to short-term new player type professions. For longer term, stuff like tailoring and leatherworking can be good, depending on which recipies you know and what is in demand on your server. Most of the good recipies require lots of rep or lots of gold to buy from the AH.

Speaking of Arcanite and demand, the market has really dropped out on our server. The demand is much lower and prices have come down. I switched to transmuting water to air as my primary moneymaker from Alchemy. It's great because it has a higher markup than Arcanite and is only a 24-hour cooldown. When I'm willing to put time into collecting herbs, that's great money too. Some herbs go for up to 1g a pop, more for stuff like Black Lotus (although I don't sell any BL I find).

Apotheosis
10-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Druid's on Dunemal, and have a night elf MALE rogue on Gilneas.

Probably won't be playing for some time now because I am incredibly busy IRL.

SnatchWrangler
10-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah

The hounds are more of a medium size guild, and we recently put the breaks on open recruiting ... thank god.

Heh, we're larger than BBC and Onibatsu last I checked. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing... :lol:

Parkbandit
10-26-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Chastittee
Oooo I have a tauren on Dunemaul. I should come harass you PB. :smilegrin:

Harass = Stalk?

:P