PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we should...

The Ponzzz
10-21-2005, 05:50 PM
...delete names that haven't been active for over a year? Help cut down alot of what killed the server... Most people just cycle through names anyways. I know I have a few on here that I don't have the password to, hence making a new name...

Latrinsorm
10-21-2005, 05:54 PM
I was under the impression that what got us booted from the old server was the fact that every time a page loaded, it had to load 20-40 times, thus hogging up the bandwidth. How would inactive handles factor into that?

The Ponzzz
10-21-2005, 05:59 PM
Well it still wouldn't hurt cleaning it up. I'm very familiar how easy it is to just go through and delete old users.

Nieninque
10-21-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by The Ponzzz
Well it still wouldn't hurt cleaning it up. I'm very familiar how easy it is to just go through and delete old users.

It would be a nightmare
The delete members page doesnt have the length of time it is since the member last joined or posted.

Wezas
10-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by The Ponzzz
...delete names that haven't been active for over a year? Help cut down alot of what killed the server... Most people just cycle through names anyways. I know I have a few on here that I don't have the password to, hence making a new name...

Be honest and tell us which name you're waiting to pounce on once it's free.

Miss X
10-21-2005, 06:25 PM
I think the issue with this is, some people post on and off. Others register but don't post, or just view as a guest and post now and then. We don't really want to drive posters away as they are what makes the PC! :)

Drezzt
10-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm
I was under the impression that what got us booted from the old server was the fact that every time a page loaded, it had to load 20-40 times, thus hogging up the bandwidth. How would inactive handles factor into that?

I'd be willing to bet it was the SQL query return size that kicked the processor usage up instead of page loading, which does only happen once, not 40 times per hit. :)

HarmNone
10-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Yeah. The number of names on the member list really doesn't have anything to do with the problems we had. However, there's no need to make another name just because you don't remember your password. If you forget your password, you can contact me to get it reset. There's also an option, I think, to get it reset if your login fails because you use the wrong password.

I am also able to remove old posting names that are no longer useful to you. If you'd like me to do that, just let me know. :)