PDA

View Full Version : Lores - Worth It?

StrayRogue
10-08-2005, 09:03 AM
Are lores worth it really? Or should I just dump them and concentrate on tripling?

TheRoseLady
10-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Air is definitely worth it if you are a bolting wizard. Get it for Hand of Tonis - 20 ranks.

Anticor will tell you that lowering haste RT will be really helpful if you are a swinger.

Other than that....I'm still trying to sort out where I will stand.

Lastly, the two 40 spells that are slated for release soon/before end of the year may take lore into account. :shrug:

Silvanostar
10-08-2005, 09:24 AM
earth lores also help with 509 and 520.

i haven't gotten high enough in my majors to see how effective 520 is, but having earth lore add to my wizard's str is pretty nice.

also air lores help increase the capacity of your disks.

StrayRogue
10-08-2005, 09:24 AM
I'm no warmage. Just a pure caster up until I get enough wizard ranks to effectively enchant as well as hunt. Is hand of tonis a decent bolt spell at all?

TheRoseLady
10-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
I'm no warmage. Just a pure caster up until I get enough wizard ranks to effectively enchant as well as hunt. Is hand of tonis a decent bolt spell at all?

It's great, I use it all over to hunt. It has a very high knock down potential and it does damage. It's the only spell I've seen that will stun boars in Ta'Ill.

Silvanostar
10-08-2005, 09:32 AM
its soso imo, but then again my wizard swings more than casts

[Edited on 10-8-2005 by Silvanostar]

TheRoseLady
10-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Silvanostar
its soso imo

What level, where do you hunt?

I'm going to hunt now Stay, I'll paste a few clips.

Silvanostar
10-08-2005, 09:42 AM
right now 28 with 21 air lore ranks and hunting hisskra's. i havent noticed the extra knock down potential but then again, i use 909 a lot :P

TheRoseLady
10-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by TheRoseLady
I'm going to hunt now Stay, I'll paste a few clips.

You gesture at an emaciated hierophant.
You hurl a powerful lightning bolt at a muscular supplicant!
AS: +374 vs DS: +250 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +29 = +192
... and hit for 58 points of damage!
Heavy shock to left leg. Gonna limp for awhile.
The muscular supplicant is stunned!

You unleash a bolt of churning air at an emaciated hierophant!
AS: +374 vs DS: +225 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +80 = +262
... and hit for 63 points of damage!
Vertigo! The emaciated hierophant clutches stomach.
The emaciated hierophant is stunned!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>

You gesture at a muscular supplicant.
You unleash a bolt of churning air at a muscular supplicant!
AS: +374 vs DS: +158 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +84 = +333
... and hit for 97 points of damage!
Spun counterclockwise, the muscular supplicant falls in a heap.

AS: +374 vs DS: +295 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +24 = +136
... and hit for 17 points of damage!
Severe low back pain! The emaciated hierophant gasps.
The emaciated hierophant is knocked to the ground!

AS: +374 vs DS: +242 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +32 = +197
... and hit for 42 points of damage!
The emaciated hierophant's arm snaps trying to prevent fall.
The emaciated hierophant is knocked to the ground!
The emaciated hierophant is stunned!

You unleash a bolt of churning air at a hunch-backed dogmatist!
AS: +374 vs DS: +275 with AvD: +44 + d100 roll: +8 = +151
... and hit for 24 points of damage!
Chest hit causes the hunch-backed dogmatist to spin around like a halfling after a fresh tart.

You unleash a bolt of churning air at a hunch-backed dogmatist!
AS: +374 vs DS: +272 with AvD: +44 + d100 roll: +46 = +192
... and hit for 51 points of damage!
Strike to neck throws opponent to the ground violently.
The hunch-backed dogmatist is knocked to the ground!
The hunch-backed dogmatist is stunned!

It's my number one incapacitator spell.

StrayRogue
10-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Interesting. I was aiming for 25 ranks in each lore to begin with (1x), then going up to 50 each when I eventually cap. I guess I may as well keep them for now. I just wish the benefits were more easily seen.

Thanks TRL ;)

TheRoseLady
10-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Interesting. I was aiming for 25 ranks in each lore to begin with (1x), then going up to 50 each when I eventually cap. I guess I may as well keep them for now. I just wish the benefits were more easily seen.

Thanks TRL ;)

I'm essentially at this threshold. Currently I have..at level 62 - I need to get one more air, I think that it adds to the disk count. I'm adding water for the benefits to lightning. But that remains to be seen if that's really beneficial.

Elemental Lore - Air...............| 90 20
Elemental Lore - Earth.............| 90 20
Elemental Lore - Fire..............| 90 20
Elemental Lore - Water.............| 20 4

Silvanostar
10-08-2005, 10:07 AM
nice clips :D

Askip
10-08-2005, 10:09 AM
I am not a big fan of Lores. If you enjoy playing with them or use for RP, go for it. Mechanically, the TPs are better spent on spells.

:D

Valthissa
10-08-2005, 10:21 AM
I agree with Askip. As a pure bolting giant wizard, if anyone could use a boost to hunting effectiveness it would be my character.

I do not think the return is worth the TP investment .

I currently hunt the aqueduct with 0 lores

C/Valthissa

[Edited on 11-23-2005 by Valthissa]

TheRoseLady
10-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Askip
I am not a big fan of Lores. If you enjoy playing with them or use for RP, go for it. Mechanically, the TPs are better spent on spells.

Could you expand on this for practical application? What do you use to put beasts down? How many spells do you actually gain without any lores vs being 1x trained in lores? Which spell list do you put them in? What kind of hunter are you?

I realize that lores are not very worthwhile for wizards, but I know this game well enough that they'll eventually add in enough to get folks training in them. If I decide to strip off my lores, I like to have a clear idea of how those TPS will benefit me.

StrayRogue
10-08-2005, 10:47 AM
If I dropped lores, for one, I'd gain some spells which in turn would increase my AS/DS/CS/TD.

Kitsun
10-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by TheRoseLady

Could you expand on this for practical application? What do you use to put beasts down? How many spells do you actually gain without any lores vs being 1x trained in lores? Which spell list do you put them in? What kind of hunter are you?

I realize that lores are not very worthwhile for wizards, but I know this game well enough that they'll eventually add in enough to get folks training in them. If I decide to strip off my lores, I like to have a clear idea of how those TPS will benefit me.

Well at cap, full 1x in lores is 600MTP or 1200PTP.

1200PTPs gets 18 spells and change at triple trained cost.

Exact AS, DS, TD gain would depend on which spell list you let slack.

Askip
10-08-2005, 11:29 AM
I have not done any ciphering, but a mage can hunt well without the lores so I consider any lore TPs as tertiary at best.

There are many good places to put the TPs. EMC for better Leech, FA and Survival for skinning pelts, HP for more mana, extra magic-type ranks for better runestaff defense, as well as spells for the aforementioned AS/DS/CS/TD increase.

"I was told there would be no math." -
Chevy Chase as Gerald Ford, SNL

[Edited on 10-8-2005 by Askip]

Kenn
10-08-2005, 11:47 AM
I used to 2x spells and 2x lores for full lightning lores, then I fixskills to 2.5x spells and dropped lores for other things... I'm really missing attuning to lightning and having my eyes go all sparkly... Eventually I wanna get 20 water and 20 air just so I can attune to lightning again.

TheRoseLady
10-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Kenn
I used to 2x spells and 2x lores for full lightning lores, then I fixskills to 2.5x spells and dropped lores for other things... I'm really missing attuning to lightning and having my eyes go all sparkly... Eventually I wanna get 20 water and 20 air just so I can attune to lightning again.

Wait, you know that attunement is now a one time choice and is permanent and not at all based on lores?

I haven't attuned my wizard yet because I want to see what the familiar changes are. I am not sure about the script for the sparkly eyes, I imagine it still works in some manner.

Askip
10-08-2005, 12:47 PM
<< I'm really missing attuning to lightning >>

What TRL said.

ATTUNE has recently been separated from Lores, just type attune for the options.

[Edited on 10-8-2005 by Askip]

Soulpieced
10-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Am I the only person who thinks it's weird that bards are the only profession that really get a serious tangible benefit from 1x or 2x'ing lores? I'm fully 2x'd, and I would get more ranks in one of the mental lores if I could.

[Edited on 10-8-2005 by Soulpieced]

StrayRogue
10-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Rangers also get alot of nice benefits from lores.

FinisWolf
10-08-2005, 04:05 PM

I happen to agree with Askip on this... the spell ranks are much much more important to me, especially since 900 and 500 spell ranks directly affect enchanting.

Finis

TheRoseLady
10-08-2005, 04:12 PM
I'd still like more than anecdotal evidence. I have been pondering my lore choices - I was hoping that this thread would produce something more tangible than "spell ranks."

The Ponzzz
10-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Being an all around wizard doesn't really benefit you much. Going for maxing two out seems to be the best benefit.

I personally am going for the air/water for bolts. It fits my RP and isn't one that is taken by many.

Most go for fire and earth, there are more benefits. Making major fire's DF closer to 1 is one of the major ones...

Janarth
10-10-2005, 09:36 AM
TRL....the first 50 ranks of a lore will boost the DF with that element by what? .001? So with 50 ranks of lore you could get the DF up .05? Given a 200 average endroll with normal DF of .400, your 400 mtps did an extra 10 damage (90 instead of 80). Or...we could get 12 more spell ranks (say 500s) for another 12 AS, which would move the endroll to 212 (85) damage. So, if you're using one type of bolt all the time, I guess lores would be a better investment, but: The AS boost works with all four elements...it also gives you more DS, and a higher CS, helps enchanting, increases yer leech...you get the point.

Shari
11-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Stupid question-Is it possible to train in lores to be attuned to acid?

Kitsun
11-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Nope. Acid is just a weirdo on the wizard spell list that doesn't fall into any category.

Go figure.

Shari
11-23-2005, 07:46 PM
That sucks. Acid flares are my favorite.

Ebondale
11-23-2005, 07:48 PM
I'd hate to be a Sorcerer and summon forth Ctulu into the realm of man without knowing a thing or two about Demonology Lore. :) Thats just me, though.