PDA

View Full Version : how is my training

lexbubba
10-05-2005, 03:15 AM
I have a 13 train half-elf wizzie I just brought back from a long sleep. I have been adjusting his training but unfortunetly his 30 day migration already expired so I can't test out his training. Tell me what you think before I use fixskills and make it permanent for a while:

Armor Use --- 4 ranks
THW --- 15 ranks
Physical Fitness --- 15 ranks
Arcane Symbols --- 20 ranks
Magic Item Use --- 20 ranks
Spell Aiming --- 30 ranks
Harness Power --- 15 ranks
EMC --- 15 ranks

Spells
Minor Elemental --- 13
Major Elemental --- 11
Wizard --- 11

I want to use a runestaff for now and hopefully start bolting and then move to bolting mostly.

[Edited on 10-5-2005 by lexbubba]

Drew
10-05-2005, 03:30 AM
War wizards need CM, unless the THW is just for parry defense.

AnticorRifling
10-05-2005, 09:17 AM
If you want to use a runestaff get rid of the THW and pick up alot more magic ranks.

Janarth
10-05-2005, 09:40 AM
I don't know jack about war mages, but I know a bit about runestaff users and pures with weapon training for defense...you don't fall into any of those categories :p What Anticor said, what are you trying to do?

lexbubba
10-05-2005, 05:39 PM
I guess I am not really sure either. I just kind of through this together after I opened the account. I want to go pure eventually. But I don't want to go pure at too early an age and risk having a very difficult time hunting at younger ages. He is only 13

Janarth
10-05-2005, 11:00 PM
You could....use a fixskills to become a pure, or...

Make a 1x shield, 1x edged, otherwise pure wizard. Char would have a physical offense earlier on, and more DS than a likelevel runestaff user, especially bolt DS, but not as many ancilliary skills.

lexbubba
10-06-2005, 03:13 AM
I did some readjustments

Half-Elf Wizard at 13 trains:
Armor Use -- 10
PT -- 15
Arcane Symbols -- 15
MIU -- 30
Harness Power -- 15
Spell Aim -- 30
EMC -- 15
Minor Elem Spells -- 13
Major Elem Spells -- 13
Wizard Spells -- 11

I am hoping to use a runestaff and get 15 ranks in armor use soon so I can wear doubles. Any other input would be great. I am really anxious to use my fixskills but I want to make sure everything is satisfactory first.

[Edited on 10-6-2005 by lexbubba]

Janarth
10-06-2005, 09:15 AM
8 ranks for doubles with no rt/manuever penalties, no? Start wearing it then, a bit higher hindrance won't kill you (at that level)

The Ponzzz
10-06-2005, 09:19 AM
hinerance WILL kill you at early levels, it's later levels you can dodge it. Burning the little amount of mana you have is not good.

Why go for doubles as a pure? I mean i know I wanted to get LBP for awhile, but the whole object as a spellslinger is to stay in guarded... I just do the robes thang... Gives me more PTPs to burn into my 2.8x spell training

lexbubba
10-06-2005, 04:01 PM
I dropped my armor to 4 ranks and upped the AS to 20 ranks and the wizard spells to 13.

If my calculations are correct, I have 149 total ranks of magic. Divide that by my level (13) and I get about 11.5 ranks per level of magic. Sounds pretty good for my runestaff use

Janarth
10-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Your DS will still be inferior to someone who trains shield and edged or shield/brawl.

Janarth
10-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Your DS will still be inferior to someone who trains shield and edged or shield/brawl.

FinisWolf
10-06-2005, 04:27 PM
1) To me, any armor training for doubles just is not worth the TP cost. I mean, 15 ranks to remove as much magic hinderance as possible, and you only go from 6% hinderance down to 3%.

2) For any young wizard, I agree with whomever said robes, even fulls, the AvD is not alot different and at lower levels you really have little to worry about.

3) I would also rather have a shield mage over a runestaff mage anyday. It provides more DS, and there are way fewer critters at higher levels that actually disarm your shield, where by 30ish you could start hitting things that will disarm your runestaff - thats not even considering PvP.

4) If your end goal is to enchant, then make life easy on yourself and just train it that way from the gate. It's easy, and you get all the magics you need and then some. IE: train 1X PT to 24 or 25, 1X E control - possibly stopping at about 50 ranks, 1X climb till 25, then switch to swim for the next 25, 2X MIU, 2X AS, 2X HP, 2X spell aim, 2.5X Spells. (Just as a suggestion).

5) Looks like you are doing what you want with your spells, and it will work for you. You could potentially go full 3X spells and lose some of the MIU AS (or all of it) until 20, then pick those up [I have a sorcerer doing just that, and he rocks and still has a extremely healthy DS, though he does stay guarded, where you wouldn't.]

6) If you are not going to be an enchanter at train 25, and instead be a pure battlemage, then I say screw your AS/MIU, grab shield, and focus spells, spell aim, HP and tear shit up.

7) Someone else already stated that a shield OHE is a good combo, and it is, so you could potentially play with that scenario, building off of my #6 suggestion.

8) You likely noticed I do not say anything about lores. Many people have different opions when it comes to lores, mine is I can do it after 50 ... IF I decide to do it then, because with the testing I did, to me, it was not worth the TP cost for the very little bonus (if any) that it provided.

9) Do not be a cookie cutter, UNLESS you are making an enchanter to build up your silver reserves, but even they can be tweaked here and there after many trains.

... Ok, now, where the hell did all that come from? Hope it helps and maybe gives you ideas. I like the folks that use creativity for their chars, it really enriches the enviroment. Anyway ...

Have a GREAT Day!

Finis

P.S. ~ I likely forgot something, so forgive me if I did. [STATS ARE VERY IMPORTANT, as I am sure you already know.]

Andrath
10-06-2005, 04:49 PM
listen, i use 4x robes with no armor use on my sorc and he's perfectly fine..i suggest armor wise yo udo the same...get cloth enchanted robes and pure spells...works best that way

AnticorRifling
10-06-2005, 06:53 PM
listen, i use 4x robes with no armor use on my sorc and he's perfectly fine..

------------------

That'd be fine if this was a sorc. I still say wizards should be in fulls at the very least, doubles by 50.

Drew
10-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Andrath
listen, i use 4x robes with no armor use on my sorc and he's perfectly fine..i suggest armor wise yo udo the same...get cloth enchanted robes and pure spells...works best that way

And a creature would only have to do 27 damage to reach a rank 9 wound on them. The crit divisor on robes hurts my brain.

Janarth
10-06-2005, 10:24 PM
I concur, seriously, at the very least, get 4 ranks, wear fulls. No hindrance, very little tps and it raises the crit divisor by 66% on yer torso and arms. Between stone skin and fulls, not a lot of tps but pretty good protection.

For what its worth, both my wizards wear fulls, sorc wears doubles, cleric wears doubles (hindrance is less of a problem)