PDA

View Full Version : Names Names Names!

ElvenRangeress
10-06-2003, 09:23 PM
So ... what does your name mean?? Or why did you pick it?!

I picked mine because another name I wanted was taken, and Atheana sounds pretty, a friend helped me with the last name, Ezabella. It just fits! But alot of people got their names from movies books etc ... so tell us where you got your gs name! :)

Hips
10-06-2003, 09:38 PM
I wanted to play a Dark Elf named Michiko at a LARP chapter called Avendale near my hometown. Avendale is part of NERO (New England Roleplaying Organization), not sure if any of you have heard of it.

But anyway, there was already a Dark Elf chick there named Michiko... so I couldn't. A year or so later I met Greg, and joined Gemstone... I thought that he was going to make me a Dark Elf ranger character (yes, he created my character for me), so I told him to name her Michiko... but he made her a half-elf because they have better bonuses or whatever.

So... I guess having my character named Michiko is a mistake. I would have named her something else if I had known she was going to be a half-elf. As for what the name means... "michi" means "way" or "path" in Japanese, I think... and the -ko on the end just shows it's feminine. At least, that's what I think, I honestly don't know that much about the language. :bouncy:

ElvenRangeress
10-06-2003, 09:45 PM
Yeah I asked grays to make me a human, and his finger seemed to have *slipped* and made me a blasted dark elf!! *gazes up* I asked him to change it, me being a newbie believed him when he said he couldn't...

Halfsilver
10-06-2003, 09:46 PM
The end of gray's name the "salin" is derived from the character in a dragonlance book and was meant to be "salyn" but an earlier version of Grays had already taken that spelling.

The first part "gray" is just because I like gray.

-grays/d

Drew2
10-06-2003, 09:47 PM
A friend in HS my freshman year wrote stories and one of her character's names was Taire. I really liked that name, but I loathe plaigerism, so I changed it to Tayre. So yeah.

DCSL
10-06-2003, 09:52 PM
Lysistrata was named after a humorous, yet penetrating play by Aristophanes. One of my two favorites by him.

Kuaike's name means 'rapid science' in Mandarin. I just thought it sounded cool. And she is fast so.. there you go.

Vixen
10-06-2003, 10:06 PM
Heh.... I picked Kasia's name out of ironic amusement to myself. It means Pure, which if you know Kasia, you'll understand. Valiria's was from the plant Valerian. She's a healer.. its a natural sedative.. I liked it.

Us

Camri
10-06-2003, 10:18 PM
I had a great grandmother named Camri. I never knew her, but I always thought the name was cool.

So there you go DCSL, Camri isn't a car. The person she was named after had that name before Camrys were made. :P

The last name Morrowinds, is a product of a friends creative imagination.

Halfsilver
10-06-2003, 10:43 PM
Morrowind is an awesome game.

PLay it if you havn't.

-grays/d

Jenisi
10-06-2003, 11:10 PM
Wanted Genisis, but that was taken so I thought Genisi would sound gay.. so Jenisi it was.

StrayRogue
10-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Stay is an assumed name. He's actually originally from a well to do Faendryl family.

Geoff
10-07-2003, 02:38 AM
The character on my last account, which I'll be bringing back when GSIV goes live, is named Therrun because it's the closest I could get to my new (at the time) son's name Theron when I tried all the permutations I could think of.
I don't remember what most of my character's names have been, I'm one of those "never had a character that made lord" types who plays for 6 months or so then takes at least that long off because I get bored and start over. (I didn't know for at least first 3 years I played that you could reactivate an account.)

[Edited on 10-7-2003 by Geoff]

StrayRogue
10-07-2003, 02:49 AM
At the time word-like names weren't ultra common, and I really liked the sound of Stay Nten. It was only later (after about 20 rerolls over four years), that I stuck to the character I have now. To think he was a human warrior at one point *roll eyes*

Zsasz is shamelessly lifted from Batman.

Arnglum is a variation of Moonglum, from Elric.

peam
10-07-2003, 02:49 AM
Peam is a random byproduct of my limitless creativity.

Kurili
10-07-2003, 05:13 AM
Syringa is the species name for the Lilac. NOT something used to inject substances, although the root word is the same. Means tube, literally.

Sinica is the species name of the Cherokee rose.

Zary Jaczor is the 'Glowing Peace' rose.

Wichurana is another rose species..an Heirloom variety.

And the other one I play regularly....the name popped into my head while gazing at a soda can trying to think of a name without going to the horticulture books.

Acolyte Kurili, needs a space to garden. Bad

[Edited on 10-7-2003 by Kurili]

Ilvane
10-07-2003, 06:35 AM
I think Kurili likes flowers.;)

-A

Tsa`ah
10-07-2003, 06:51 AM
Never tell.

The PC screen name Tsa`ah is bad hebrew for wanderer.

Adhara
10-07-2003, 08:33 AM
Adhara is a star of the Canis Major constellation. I believe it means "the maidens" in arabic (or so the websites say). Her last name, Hathor (Adhara's mother's name), is an egyptian goddess known as "Mistress of the Sky."

Both names have to do with the sky because I work in the aviation industry.

Betheny
10-07-2003, 08:34 AM
Can you get me free/cheap plane tickets?!

Halfsilver
10-07-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Adhara
Adhara is a star of the Canis Major constellation. I believe it means "the maidens" in arabic (or so the websites say). Her last name, Hathor (Adhara's mother's name), is an egyptian goddess known as "Mistress of the Sky."

Both names have to do with the sky because I work in the aviation industry.

On that note, Adhara....do you know that ever since I started gs3, I've tried to roll a character with the name of Sirius?

That name is always friggin' taken. Even right after a name purge! ::scowl::

-grays/d

PS. Sirius is the bright green star in the constellation Canis Major, One of if not the brightest star in the night sky.

[Edited on 10-7-2003 by Halfsilver]

AnticorRifling
10-07-2003, 08:44 AM
Anticor was just something that sounded good. I pronounce it Ant Icor, not Anti core. Later I found out it's a real word and Maimara gives me grief for it ever since I told her what it means heh. Rifling well that was a mistake of typing. I read about the game and was told by friends about it before I started. The rift sounded cool so I figured I wanted to be a Riftling. Rifling just sort of happend Riff Ling not Rifling like grooves in the barrel of the gun.

My other guys are mostly made up names except my dwarf I took his name from the game Stonekeep which rocked back in the day and rocks now.

Adhara
10-07-2003, 08:45 AM
I have my doubts on how name purges work. I rolled a character about 4 years ago with a name I love dearly and stupid me erased the character instead of just saving the char as locker until I want to use it. I swear there is no possible way anyone has tried to get this name. Yet it's still not available.

So I don't know how these so-called name purges work but from my experience they don't look too effective.

Betheny
10-07-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
...Later I found out it's a real word and Maimara gives me grief for it ever since I told her what it means heh.

HORSE BOOB CANCER

Halfsilver
10-07-2003, 08:56 AM
Sorry, Anticor...but I couldn't resist.

anticor

\An"ti*cor\, n. [Pref. anti- + L. cor heart; cf. F. antic?ur.] (Far.) A dangerous inflammatory swelling of a horse's breast, just opposite the heart.

Halfsilver
10-07-2003, 09:05 AM
Apparantly my name is some crazy acronym. w00t!

gray n. Abbr. Gy
The SI unit for the energy absorbed from ionizing radiation, equal to one joule per kilogram.

ALIN Aided Laser Inertial Navigator

So don't feel bad, Anticor.

-grays/d

CrystalTears
10-07-2003, 09:45 AM
Karystal = a variation of the word crystal

Yeah so I like crystals. Sue me. :D

JustMe
10-07-2003, 10:52 AM
I get all my names out of baby name books or they are variations of a name from a book I read. Baby naming books are great though.

Wezas
10-07-2003, 10:59 AM
When Oaksheerii first sent me the link to the game I had to think of a name. I was just joking around (it was a free game back then) and I told him I wanted my name to be Bob (not my name).
So I tried a few names before I became Bobitis (Bob it is) Mysn (My SN). Amusing, but my Giantman Bard didn't last long and the Empath came along. Wezas. I always enjoyed names with Z's, and I'm a bit of a wise ass.

Notsosweet
10-07-2003, 12:53 PM
Kniquee ... Nikki

I named her after my best friend who passed away from Cancer . She played GS for years and so once she passed i decided to make Kniquee to carry on her memory .

Lame maybe ,, but it makes me feel good .

Artha
10-07-2003, 12:59 PM
Artha is a perversion of Arthur. He was, about 7 years ago, the first character I got past level 5.

Aone was me screwing around with a generator name. It is also a (craptastic) steak sauce.

I've also had a character named Deaxnus, which can be pronounce Deez nuts.

[Edited on 10-7-2003 by Artha]

Suppa Hobbit Mage
10-07-2003, 01:01 PM
I created Tayvin Dreamforge because I liked it - no history, no anything else, just liked the name.

Mytmo I created because I was bored, Mighty Mo...go figure. He bought that halfling head off the boards and I call that Nomo'Mo. At some point going to work it into his rp that he's seeking the person that shrunk his brothers head.

Have a ton of other names, I usually just go with whatever sounds neat to me at the time.

Bugstomper Whackamole I think is still my favorite, lol.

Hips
10-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Artha

... Stunseed. :lol:

Artha
10-07-2003, 01:32 PM
... Stunseed.

Heh. I actually didn't intend it, I just remember someone thinking to me "Sorry, but is your name supposed to be pronounced 'Deze Nuts'?"

Edaarin
10-07-2003, 01:57 PM
My brother rolled both Edarin and Edaarin. Dunno where they came from, but I took over the rogue at like level 8 after I (intentionally) sent my warrior demonic.

I've rolled a few little characters (none got past 25) after some famous 19th century Japanese figures. My second character (I think I was like 13 at the time) was Galadedril Damodred (from the RJ Wheel of Time series, bad misspelling of Galad Damodred). Galadriel offered me 50k to reroll and change the name. I did.

Jolena
10-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by GS3 Michiko

Originally posted by Artha

... Stunseed. :lol:

Hehe, He MEANT to do it though lol

SpunGirl
10-07-2003, 06:03 PM
I'm not entirely sure where Naessi came from. I've googled it before and it's some kind of plant thing which I think was in Latin, or something. I'm not very good with languages aside from English.

I wanted Naessi to be very diminutive in size, I think her name reflects that (though I could be wrong). I like to play around with syllables and sounds I like to create a name. Some others I've got are Melinka, Saryllith (maybe my favorite), Darsilla (varation of Drusilla, evil stepsister of Cinderella fame), and of course, wittle Saryis.

The only two I actually roleplay are Saryis and Naessi.

-K

Stunseed
10-07-2003, 07:15 PM
Cuz I'm suave.

Xasmed < Dem Sax >.

Praefection
10-08-2003, 08:04 PM
My main girl, Semiera was just a random thought but just last week someone asked if I borrowed the name from The Ring (a movie). I had no idea there was a name let alone a move charater, oh well. My other creative name is Tareesa, named after me. Theresa... so much for being super unique! I have several others who I don't feel like naming. Nothing special there.

LaVaca
10-08-2003, 08:46 PM
I ment to make my name Warclaidhmore, but the system wouldnt make it and it turned out as Warclaidhm. After many tries I just gave up.
I Then thought it'd be a good idea to make warclaidh and I brothers. So we were at that time. Then somehow we got in some conflict and he cussed me out and that was the end.

Haven't seen him in game for some time. It was never agianst him, if anything, a honor to him.

Xcalibur
10-08-2003, 08:48 PM
lies, 12 letters

would had been warclaidhmo

i always take names i use in my games of dungeon or rolemaster

[Edited on 9-10-03 by Xcalibur]

Dighn Darkbeam
10-08-2003, 08:50 PM
Anyone ever pick their account name thinking that was what they were going to name their player...only to find that name taken? ::Stares::

Anyone ever meet a char named Farcry?

Chadj
10-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Well, i started my characters way back when i was like, 9 or 10, with no thought of the future in mind, and little thought of RP... So, since Chad and about 4 other forms of it were gone (i kept using the free trials with different chars :P) I took my name (chad) and tacked on my middle initial (J)... I was very unoriginal back then, what can i say. Anyways, i ended up sticking with this character.:)

Jolena
10-08-2003, 09:17 PM
My main character Jolena is a derivitive of my daughters name which is Jolene. I know..I'm unoriginal as hell lol. My wizie, Sherinas is a derivitive of my best friend's name, Sherice. My others I just came up with they are nothing special.

Hips
10-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Jolena
My others I just came up with they are nothing special.

LIES!! One of them is named after one of my LARP characters. :P

Jolena
10-09-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by GS3 Michiko

Originally posted by Jolena
My others I just came up with they are nothing special.

LIES!! One of them is named after one of my LARP characters. :P

Bah that's true! lol Okay so one of them is special cause my in game sister and RL friend helped me with her name. *ducks* Wubs ya Michi!!

Trinitis
10-09-2003, 02:08 AM
I still think my fav name I've ever come up with was a little bard lass I had..

Haiku Lymric

-Adredrin

GS4Gurl
10-12-2003, 01:33 AM
Character names I've had.

Tiffilynn. I like the name Tiffany and the name Lynn so I smooshed them together.

Bambette: I was looking for a ditzy sounding name since ir RPd that char to be a total ditz... Bambi was taken so I tacked on ette. I had that char for maybe 2wks... Got bored with it.

Mekaylah: There's a nurse at the hospital I gave birth at who has that name. I think it's so pretty so I used it for a while.

Celestynne: I think the name Celeste is pretty. I love moon and star themes but Celeste was taken so I tacked on ynne and voila.

I've had a few others. Its always fun playing around with the words and sounds of names I like to make something kind of unique.

Gan
10-12-2003, 07:43 PM
Ganalon: a subtle yet important character who really wasnt who he said he was in the Amber series by Roger Zelazny...

Randem: a reckless child of the royal house of Amber who turned out to better than everyone thought he was going to be... again by Roger Zelazny...

Thought I'd go with some of the more obscure works and stay out of the mainstream that some player's managers tend to follow, not that the mainstream is bad, its just not the water temperature I like to wade in.... thats all...

Caiylania
11-10-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Dighn Darkbeam
Anyone ever pick their account name thinking that was what they were going to name their player...only to find that name taken? ::Stares::

That is exactly what I did!! I wanted Kiara but it was taken so I just kept changing letters.... and ended up with Caiylania. A few months later found out I was having a girl and I liked Kiara so much that is now my daughters name.

another bumped post, sue me. I keep finding threads I like. :D

Wezas
11-10-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Xcalibur
lies, 12 letters

would had been warclaidhmo
[Edited on 9-10-03 by Xcalibur]

Month old posty goodness. Might as well add my two cents.

warclaid homo?... well that's just not right.

Moist Happenings
11-10-2003, 10:39 AM
Well, let's see..

My first character: Demonix EvilKillJoy was made because I was 9 years old, and/or stupid

My first REAL character, Lexim Lufidia: I was playing the super nintendo game Lufia 2 at the time, hence the Lufidia. the name Lexin, my favorite character in said game, was taken, so I became Lexim, the Elven Bard, who turned out, after many rerollings to be my first legend character.

Erwindel: I wanted to be Erwin or Edwin really badly, and when those were taken, I changed it

Adrimec: Adri-something came out of the name generator, and I thought it would be cool to add "mec" to the end.

Neff: God only knows.

Ofarin: Sounded like a cool wizard name

Adrithorn: I lost Adrimec due to forgetting the name of the account, and him being on a different account than my main characters, and thorn is a cool word. And no, he's not a ranger.

Stammerin: He follows around his friend and mentor Gammerin. He was made to RP with said friend and mentor

And the others i'd rather keep anonymous because that's what I do.