PDA

View Full Version : Critics say the use of pink demeans women...blah blah blah blah

Dwarven Empath
09-28-2005, 03:11 PM
The pink visitors' locker room at the University of Iowa's stadium is making some people see red.

Several professors and students joined the call Tuesday for the athletic department to do away with the pink showers, carpeting and lockers — a decades-long Hawkeye football tradition.

Critics say the use of pink demeans women, perpetuates offensive stereotypes about women and homosexuality, and puts the university in the uncomfortable position of tacitly supporting those messages.

"I want the locker room gone," law school professor Jill Gaulding told a university committee studying the athletic department's compliance with NCAA standards, including gender equity.

For decades, visiting football teams playing at Kinnick Stadium have dressed and showered in the pink locker room. The tradition was started by former Iowa coach Hayden Fry, a psychology major who said pink had a calming and passive effect on people.

But as part of the stadium's two-year, $88 million makeover, athletic officials took the former coach's interior decorating ideas to another level, splashing pink across the brick walls, shower floors and installing pink metal lockers, carpeting, sinks, showers and urinals.

The controversy gained momentum and media attention last week when a visiting law school professor told reporters she had received death threats after voicing objections on her Web site.

You can't make everyone happy..sheesh!
Jill Gaulding is probably a lez.

http://www.law.uiowa.edu/faculty/jill-gaulding.php

Edited to add her picture, and to agree with myself with the lez remark.

[Edited on 9-28-2005 by Celember]

Satira
09-28-2005, 03:14 PM
This is retarded.

Sean of the Thread
09-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Wow ... that is just plain stupid.

xtc
09-28-2005, 03:17 PM
lol what a joke.............. feminists

In psychiatric hospitals the nutbars who act up are placed in the pink room, why pink because it helps in the suppression of human aggression.

http://bacweb.the-bac.edu/~michael.b.williams/baker-miller.html

This is what happens when women don't laid regularly. She obviously has too much time on her hands, someone give her some dishes to wash.

[Edited on 9-28-2005 by xtc]

Satira
09-28-2005, 03:20 PM
Which is why this is retarded.

That pink room is a tactic! They can't get fired up.

DeV
09-28-2005, 03:21 PM
As much as I like the color pink this:

But as part of the stadium's two-year, $88 million makeover, athletic officials took the former coach's interior decorating ideas to another level, splashing pink across the brick walls, shower floors and installing pink metal lockers, carpeting, sinks, showers and urinals.
would have driven me crazy. But yeah, it's way retarded.

Jill Gaulding is probably a lez.
So the fuck what if she is. My gaydar doesn't pick that up in any case. She could be straight for all we know.

Warriorbird
09-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Pretty silly. Do sunsets demean women?

09-28-2005, 04:25 PM

Shouldn't she be trying to save starving Iraqi kids or something?

- Arkans

Bobmuhthol
09-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Arkans' avatar demeans women as much as a pink locker room.

09-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Conan did pound the shit out of that snake girl in the first movie though....

- Arkans

Gan
09-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Real men wear pink.

:whistle:

[Edited on 9-28-2005 by Ganalon]

Sylph
09-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Ugh... Who cares if its Pink, Yellow, or freaking Baby Blue with little white lambs on the walls?

Warriorbird
09-28-2005, 10:30 PM
http://www.automotiverhythms.com/images/2004sema_11sm.jpg

http://www.recordcompanyrecords.com/graphic/rambo2/camron.gif

http://www.gossipingbitches.com/news/archives/7b_1.jpg

[Edited on 9-29-2005 by Warriorbird]

HarmNone
09-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Oh, dear. I must be broken. I am not in the slightest demeaned by the color pink. I probably need therapy. :yes:

Satira
09-28-2005, 10:44 PM
I think it's more demeaning that people THOUGHT the pink locker room was demeaning towards women.

DeV
09-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Satira
I think it's more demeaning that people THOUGHT the pink locker room was demeaning towards women. Totally.

HarmNone
09-28-2005, 10:52 PM
Gah! Ladies! We're ALL broken!:oops:

Terminator X
09-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Cam'ron talk(ed/s) entirely too much shit about Ma$e and other people that no one even cares about to begin with. I seriously hope he goes back to Harlem and gets 50-cent'd, or something. If he was actually a respectable MC, then I'd be like, "Hell yeah, score some tail in pink, brotha-man." But since he sucks, [edited] pretty much sums up my personal feelings about the matter.

- The Termite

Basically, the locker room definately should be redone because that poser Cam'ron sports it (pink.)

Atlanteax
09-28-2005, 11:13 PM
Perfect example of the danger political correctness presents to Society.

Warriorbird
09-29-2005, 12:04 AM
Cam'ron's wearing purple these days. They can keep the locker room.

Skirmisher
09-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Atlanteax

Danger? :?:

I wouldn't go that far.

It's just stupid is all.

4a6c1
09-29-2005, 12:09 AM
idontgetit

Heshinar
09-29-2005, 04:36 AM
In a related story on average 135 Women graduate from College but only 100 men at the same time. NOW does not seem at all concerned at that disparity and you can be sure they would go ballistic if it was the other way.

I agree with equal pay but how about women take a crack at all levels of jobs not just the corporate high end. How about the jobs men do that have high mortality rates that you never see a women even apply for.

How about some pure equality. Equal pay, equal risk.

HarmNone
09-29-2005, 08:00 AM
Umm, you mean like policemen and the armed services? I think women are there, too. For many years, women weren't allowed in those occupations. It's only been fairly recently that changes have been made to allow for such things.

Jorddyn
09-29-2005, 10:00 AM
My home in the news! YAY!

In case anyone cares, every person I've spoken with about it is annoyed that they're making a big deal out of nothing.

Jorddyn :rolleyes:

Warriorbird
09-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Yeah. The whole "women in math and science" movement has resulted in less men (out of a total percentage of men) in math and science.

Yay, progress!

xtc
09-29-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by HarmNone
Umm, you mean like policemen and the armed services? I think women are there, too. For many years, women weren't allowed in those occupations. It's only been fairly recently that changes have been made to allow for such things.

To be honest I never understood why women would want a job where people shoot at you. But hey if they can do the job I say go for it.

Heshinar
09-29-2005, 01:55 PM
I am referring to jobs like the Riggers and steel workers who climb high rises to build them. Garbage Trucks. How about a woman who goes down in the coal mines and works with the men. Heavy construction. Other similar jobs that you never see a woman doing. Why is it they just go for the high profile upper management jobs?

Warriorbird
09-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Intelligence?

Jorddyn
09-29-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Heshinar
Why is it they just go for the high profile upper management jobs?

No manual labor, cushiony chair, more pay. Who wouldn't?

Originally posted by Warriorbird
Intelligence?

:heart:

Nice.

Jorddyn

Jorddyn
09-29-2005, 02:04 PM
In case anyone wants to see what the locals think (http://www.presscitizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050929/NEWS01/50928004/1079)

:)

Jorddyn

DeV
09-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Heshinar
I am referring to jobs like the Riggers and steel workers who climb high rises to build them. Garbage Trucks. How about a woman who goes down in the coal mines and works with the men. Heavy construction. Other similar jobs that you never see a woman doing. Why is it they just go for the high profile upper management jobs? There are women that work on garbage trucks. I've seen plenty. Construction, I've seen more than a few. Coal mines... possibly they don't want to contract black lung disease or it is not a job that presents viable working conditions for a woman. i.e. Male dominated.

For the last question... what WB said. Why wouldn't they go for the best they can get. It makes sense to me.

Nieninque
09-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Atlanteax

Politic Correctness just concentrates on stupid things. It isnt a danger.
Fascism and fundamentalism are far more dangerous.

Get your own house in order mister.