PDA

View Full Version : Empathy

Himmy
09-27-2005, 08:25 PM
I was reading the empath spell list just now and noticed under the description for empathy that training in telepathy lore increases the chance of one hit kills.

Does this mean that you can kill with a successful cast of empathy? Or that if you cast empathy it makes them more susceptible to crits? Does anyone have any info on this?

Mellie
09-27-2005, 08:36 PM
I have a pretty old empath.. have never even caused damage with that spell.. has to mean something else other than kills with it.

The only thing I've ever seen this spell do is freeze something in place, or make it drop it's gear and loot and run away. When cast at a player.. a low warding failure makes the character run away, a high warding failure freezes them in place for a short time.

Himmy
09-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Yeah, that's all I've ever seen as well. But:

1108 · Empathy [EMPATHY]
Duration: 5 seconds +1 second for evey 2 warding failure, max 30 seconds

Type: ATTACK

When successfully cast, Empathy will stimulate a target to induce a panic reaction. It has been rumored this spell can cause temporary indecision.

The power of the attack is enhanced upon a successul cast on a target with training in Mental Lore, Telepathy. There is also a higher chance of immobilization and instant kills.

Mellie
09-27-2005, 08:45 PM
Odd.. and making me want to go find a rat to try it out on.. I can't imagine it causing an instant kill when it doesn't even do any damage.:?:

Himmy
09-27-2005, 08:53 PM
I was casting at sea nymphs the other day and getting around 400 end rolls. No kills. I don't have any telepathy lore either though, so there's no telling.

Mellie
09-27-2005, 08:54 PM
I have 20 ranks of telepathy

You focus your thoughts while chanting the mystical phrase for Empathy...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a tawny brindlecat.
CS: +405 - TD: +36 + CvA: +25 + d100: +99 == +493
Warding failed!
The tawny brindlecat struggles to maintain composure.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

cast this about 20 times.. this is all I got over and over

Himmy
09-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Heh, poor thing probably had so much RT it didn't move for awhile.

I wonder if that's just an oversight in their documentation.

Mellie
09-27-2005, 09:01 PM
That'd be my guess. If it was gonna die, I would think that would have done it, even with only having 20 ranks in telepathy.

Nilandia
09-27-2005, 09:02 PM
As far as I know, the critter running off (including dropping its gear), counts as a kill for the purpose of the spell. I odn't know if it counts for experience, though.

Gan
09-27-2005, 09:04 PM
I've put a war griffin to sleep with empathy, thats the only cool thing I've been able to do with it.