PDA

View Full Version : What are you designing?

Pages : [1] 2

Jolena
09-26-2005, 10:18 AM
There is a similar thread on the forums called 'What's this thing worth' or something along those lines that helps others with their prices to ask, soooo..I thought I'd start something here in alterations for those of us wanting help/advice on our alteration designs.

Hopefully this will get enough traffic to keep it going like the 'What are you wearing' thread and we can all lend each other our expertise on alters as I think the majority of us posting in the 'What are you wearing' thread are rather good at designs.

I'll start first! :) I'm working on an outfit to have worked on for Jolena at Ebons Gate or just whenever I can manage to get some work done at merchants here and there. I'd like opinions/suggestions from you all if you feel so inclined!

This is a fall-inspired outfit:

a burnt umber linen torso-wrap: Dual lengths of lightweight linen have been lined with a thin layer of golden silk to provide for a striking color contrast in this garment. Designed to wrap tightly around the chest, the colors of the fabric vary from a dark russet to the hue of a golden sunset. A circular clasp has been fashioned from a polished sunstone and is used to secure the garment at the back in a gathered knot.

a knee-length russet silk sarong: A single layer of dark russet silk is fastened by a trio of copper scales fashioned into a multi-layered crescent. Dangling golden amber beads alternate with a half-inch golden silk fringe around the hem of the skirt for added effect.

some calf-tied narrow dark leather sandals

Accessories

some hammered copper bracelets adorned with shards of golden amber

a belted tawny suede hip-bag: Slender lengths of golden silk have been wrapped around each other in a sinuous braided rope design for the belt to this container. Narrow strips of darkened leather encircle the belt every three inches for a gathered effect and the back of the container has been sewn to the belt with thick russet thread.

I've some others I'm working on but I figured I'd start this off with that one because its my favorite so far.

[Edited on 9-26-2005 by Jolena]

Hips
09-26-2005, 10:22 AM
I've told you this before, but I love the top. Especially the last sentence. Michiko would never wear that color, but it'll look hot on Jolena.

Praefection
09-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Just as a suggestion, you have the word container twice in the show for the hip-bag, maybe change the word on one of them? Seems a little redundant but otherwise it looks great.

Jolena
09-26-2005, 10:38 AM
Yah, I was actually mulling that over when I posted the outfit. I think I'm going to change the last line to bag rather then container.

Tromp
09-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Man that is pretty impressive Jolena!

This thread sounds as good as any for my question.

I need help to not have a bad alter.

I want to use my premie benefit to alter my longbow associated with my Dhe'Nar Ranger.

I'd love to have the word Dhe'Nar and Hunting in the name/title of the item. Is this possible? Like an ancient Dne'Narian (is that right?) Hunting Bow. I was also think of some sort of blacken ash for the wood. I'm clueless after that.

Please help me not be a boob on this alter! PLEAZZZZZZZZE! You all seem pretty experienced in the alter realm.

StrayRogue
09-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Yes, it is possible. But such things often look garish and shit. How does anyone know its a Dhe'nar hunting bow at a glance?

Skeeter
09-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Tromp,

Find a creative way to describe your bow as what you want without coming right out and saying ancient dhe'nar hunting bow. Subtle alters are always better.

If you figure out what one of these bow's look like, and describe it accordingly, I imagine you will be much happier with your alter.

Of course the unwashed masses won't know that your bow is ancient dhe'nar hunting bow, but of course 90% of the people shouldn't be able to tell by sight. The people studied in the apostrophe culture, will understand what you're going for and be impressed by your rp.

And yes, I feel alters and items are a significant part of rp.

[Edited on 9-26-2005 by Skeeter]

Jolena
09-26-2005, 01:33 PM
Well, I managed to get the fall-themed outfit I had in mind done today. Stunseed had one piece done and I had the other. I'm still working on getting the accessories done but we did change around the items we had done somewhat. So I figured I'd post them up. I must say I'm rather pleased with the changes to the sarong although the top I'm not sure on yet as far as the base.

You tap a burnt umber linen wrap. (was a torso-wrap but the merchant would not do that, nor would she do wrap-bodice, so I had to settle. I'm not sure if I like the word wrap just left by itself though)
Dual lengths of lightweight linen have been lined with a thin layer of golden silk to provide for a striking color contrast in this garment. Designed to wrap tightly around the chest, the colors of the fabric vary from a dark russet to the hue of a golden sunset. A circular clasp has been fashioned from a polished sunstone and is used to secure the garment at the back in a gathered knot.

You tap a dark russet silk loincloth. (was a sarong, but the merchant wouldn't do sarong for some reason, she siad it wasn't appropriate to Elanthia)
Lengths of dark russet silk are belted by folded golden silk, a trio of copper scales fashioned into a multi-layered crescent adorning the front. Amber beaded-strands of gold cording drape between the front and back panels of the loincloth, and dangling golden amber beads alternate with a half-inch golden silk fringe around the hem of the skirt.

Viridian
09-26-2005, 02:08 PM
I've been trying to work out a formal outfit for my Erithi and being that we can't use Japanese words to describe the item of clothing I think I need some help in designing things...

Most of this stuff is long descript.

An high-waisted long pale blue silk wrap skirt.

A snow white silk wrap tunic.

A calf-length pale blue silk robe with deep sleeves

A wide snow white sash intricately folded in the back and bound by silken cord.

Some ivory hairsticks adorned pale blue whorls.

So if anyone can help me improve upon them, I would be most grateful.

Jolena
09-26-2005, 02:18 PM
Jessa, didn't you have something done for Michiko that was Japanese in origin? It might help if you showed her that one. Honestly, I think the things you have set up already Viridian are really well done. They definately give me a picture in my mind of Japanese culture. Er..hope that's what you were going for heh!

Shari
09-26-2005, 04:52 PM
I've about 25 things I'd like to get altered but am hesitant about posting them with the fear that someone will copy it before I'm able to get it done. :grr: Aaanyway, this ring is clearly for Nalina. I'm wondering if those who read this understand the visual I'm trying to get across.

a stalking rolaren feline ring

This clever rolaren-cast ring has been made into the sleek form of a stalking cat. Its front paws outstretched and head lowered in deep concentration, the body has been drawn out with the animal sitting pounce-ready on its rear haunches. The long tail swishes out, curling about to nearly touch the head of the animal in a loop to be worn on the finger.

Hips
09-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Jolena
Jessa, didn't you have something done for Michiko that was Japanese in origin?

I think you mean the cheongsam that Michiko has (as far as I know, it's the only one), but that's Chinese, not Japanese.

Edit: And I sold the "formal dark blue silk robe" that I had made for her, which was styled like a kimono.... so I can't show that. No idea who has it now.

[Edited on 9-26-2005 by GS3 Michiko]

SpunGirl
09-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Jolena, that's retarded. Who was the merchant? I've seen wrap-bodices in game before, and last year they had sarongs but wouldn't allow loincloths. Ugh. The only consistent thing is the inconsistency. I like the designs though, especially the knot part.

Question for people who might know: Anyone ever used white vaalin in an alteration? Did they make you provide your own and if so, where did you get it? Any other white metals (besides white ora) that are pretty that anyone can think of? Kthx.

-K

Hips
09-26-2005, 05:34 PM
I use vaalin all the time, but I've never specified white vaalin. I don't think I've ever had to provide it.

The Ponzzz
09-26-2005, 05:37 PM
With things relative with culture, it is easy to do something like:
A Dhe'nar styled bow.

I hate seeing Krolvin wearing Krolvin boots. Krolvin styled boots would be so much better. Unless you like wearing things of your kin.

DCSL
09-26-2005, 05:39 PM
I've gotten vaalin things done and honestly, some merchants make you provide and some don't. They're irritatingly inconsistant like that. I'm trying to get a cloth-of-vaalin gown done now and wondering how many weaponsworth of vaalin would cover the stupid thing.

As for white metals...

White gold, which really just looks silver.
Uh.. drakar which is white with red specks.
Coraesine which is white with grey swirls.
Eonake ranges from brilliant white to silver.
Zorchar is white and it glows!

[Edited on 9-26-2005 by DCSL]

SpunGirl
09-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Coraesine is pretty rare, isn't it? I considered Eonake but I read about its dwarven origins and Naessi hates dwarves, so that's out.

-K

DCSL
09-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Yeah, it's rare. And expensive. Hideously expensive.

DCSL
09-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Just as an aside, if you wanna use zorchar and need some, I stockpiled a bunch of silk-wrapped zorchar bo-sticks. Can have one!

Jolena
09-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by SpunGirl
Jolena, that's retarded. Who was the merchant? I've seen wrap-bodices in game before, and last year they had sarongs but wouldn't allow loincloths. Ugh. The only consistent thing is the inconsistency. I like the designs though, especially the knot part.

Question for people who might know: Anyone ever used white vaalin in an alteration? Did they make you provide your own and if so, where did you get it? Any other white metals (besides white ora) that are pretty that anyone can think of? Kthx.

-K

Yeah it was kinda irritating that she wouldn't do it, as I have had two wrap-bodices made in the past and have seen a dozen or so more made in the past. Ah well, it's done and over now. Maybe I'll find a merchant who can change just the base to torso-wrap or wrap-bodice instead. The merchant's name is Anrael.

As to vaalin, yeah Stunseed's wedding band has vaalin in it, you can find the design in the What are you wearing thread I believe. And no, we didn't have to provide it. Dartoc did our rings for us on the WD. :heart: that guy.

As for the feline ring, I love that design! The tail curving around to loop for the finger is neat. Only thing I'd change is that it would be a rolaren stalking feline ring rather then a stalking rolaren feline ring. I totally got the image you were going to portray though!

ElanthianSiren
09-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Jesae
I've about 25 things I'd like to get altered but am hesitant about posting them with the fear that someone will copy it before I'm able to get it done. :grr: Aaanyway, this ring is clearly for Nalina. I'm wondering if those who read this understand the visual I'm trying to get across.

This clever rolaren-cast ring has been made into the sleek form of a stalking cat. Its front paws outstretched and head lowered in deep concentration, the body has been drawn out with the animal sitting pounce-ready on its rear haunches. The long tail swishes out, curling about to nearly touch the head of the animal in a loop to be worn on the finger.

First, I don't like "have or has been" in an alteration. It's more for your reader to read to get the same impression from an active verb, and it is a passive tense.

Were I to do this ring, here is how I would construct it:

Cast from dark gleaming rolaren, this clever ring curves into the sleek form of a stalking cat. Its front paws outstretched and its head lowered in intense concentration, the patient animal crouches, pounce-ready, on its hind limbs. A long tail gracefully forms the majority of the band, extending from the tense haunches and curling up to nearly touch the arrogant tilt of the proud beast's head.

-M

Skeeter
09-26-2005, 06:23 PM

SNAP! I'm totally stealing that idea and having it done.

seriously though, what difference does you make if you post them, it's not like having it done first will stop someone from copying it.

Shari
09-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Very true, Skeeter. I don't know why I'm so psychopathic about unveiling my alteration ideas before they're done. Maybe because I want the acknowledgement that I came up with the idea first. Its stupid, I know...but its my one crazy thing that I do. <twitch>

Oh, and Siren, I LOVE how you adjusted that, mind if I tweak it to my original design?

HouseofElves
09-26-2005, 07:34 PM
Very true, Skeeter. I don't know why I'm so psychopathic about unveiling my alteration ideas before they're done. Maybe because I want the acknowledgement that I came up with the idea first. Its stupid, I know...but its my one crazy thing that I do. <twitch>

Don't worry, I do that too. I've don't mind that much if someone copies after, but if they get one of my ideas done before I do, it really bugs.

Rangerpuff
09-26-2005, 07:46 PM
All of you people are so creative...I have this awesome set of armor..that was done very well..the thing is.. I want to have it altered...and have it look like..it was re-tailored, to fit the new owner. I've had quite a bit of help with it, the original owner of the piece was gracious enough to provide me help. The thing is..it still doesn't seem right.. I have an opportunity to get it done soon. I am hoping some of you might help me with it. I am horrid at armor design. They are female only armor, and studded leather.

As they are now:
You reach out and touch some sleek Dhe'nar battle armor.
>look armor
>
Polished ruby-inlaid kelyn studs have been securely riveted into the thick ebon-hued leather. The scales of the armor flow together seamlessly like that of a dragon's coat of scales. Though well-maintained, it shows slight signs of wear. Some carefully mended tears and feint darkened blood stains are seen on few of the scales, indicating that the armor has indeed seen more than just a few battles. On the left breast is a prominent eight-point star masterfully embroidered in silver-hued veniom thread. You also notice a small enchanter's glyph.

The new..semi-idea.
Polished vaalin studs have been securely riveted into the thick ebon-hued leather. Allowing for optimum mobility, the leathers have been custom tailored to the curves of the wearer, provided a snug fit. Though well maintained, the armor shows slight signs of wear and tear. Variations in color, and shading on the scales of this armor suggest of recent repairs. Superimposing the silver eight-point star on the left breast is a frost wreathed golden ring, a small chain-bound heart encompassed within. You also notice a small enchanter's glyph.

StrayRogue
09-26-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm thinking of getting my breastplate altered to something like a musculature moulded golvern chestplate or something. Still need help on the wording.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
09-26-2005, 07:54 PM
a muscular golvern breastplate with abdominals like batman (the original, not 2 or 3)

[Edited on 9-26-2005 by Suppa Hobbit Mage]

StrayRogue
09-26-2005, 07:56 PM
PERFIC

petroglyph
09-26-2005, 09:38 PM
This has been on my to-do list for a while, and will probably stay there for a while yet.

a faenor-strung petrified haon pendant
Tiny leaves of deep green faenor interlink to form a thin chain that twists and sways like a living vine. At the center of the chain, two larger leaves drop down to cup a petrified haon oval. The ancient ivory-hued wood gleams from repeated polishing, though a few rich brown veins still furrow its surface. Following the pattern of the grain, a carved modwir tree spreads its gnarled limbs across the pendant to shelter a delicate bas-relief doe within its shade.

SpunGirl
09-26-2005, 10:58 PM
I have the color list that everyone uses, but I need some color ideas for blue. Something along the lines of dusky blue, storm blue, blue-grey, that kind of thing. Thoughts?

-K

PS Jolena I know you made this thread just so I'd stop buggint you with my bodice ideas. Hah! :heart:

[Edited on 9-27-2005 by SpunGirl]

Hips
09-26-2005, 11:15 PM
slate blue, misty blue, steel blue?

petroglyph
09-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Slate blue?

DCSL
09-26-2005, 11:17 PM
Mithril blue? If you want a more Elanthian feel. I really like the color of the metal as shown on the play.net site.

Axhinde
09-27-2005, 12:10 AM
a gleaming elven crafted waraxe

Expertly forged, the high calibur of detail put into the forging of this weapon could only have been guided by Elven hands. The single arched blade, sharpened to a keen razor edge, has been set onto the end of an extended steel haft. Black leather wraps its way around the base, and the small eahnor studs provide reliable extra grip. Devoid of any nicks or scratches, this highly polished waraxe appears to be rigorously cared for.

Questions, comments, suggestions?

4a6c1
09-27-2005, 12:22 AM
:-X

DCSL
09-27-2005, 12:26 AM
Slanted, maybe?

Terminator X
09-27-2005, 12:28 AM
Looking for Zaetuati to alter one of my finer Erithian weapons.

-- A deep sanguine (vultite/imflass/imflass-edged vultite) jitte with a soft strip of bleached leather braided carefully around/about its hilt..?

Nilandia
09-27-2005, 01:00 AM
PS Jolena I know you made this thread just so I'd stop buggint you with my bodice ideas. Hah! :heart:

Yeah, you do that to me, now! :P

Seriously, I really do enjoy helping people design alters. I love being able to help and it's a great feeling to see something someone likes get made.

Nilandia

ElanthianSiren
09-27-2005, 04:07 AM
Jesae, have at it. I did it for you, already having a nose ring made shaped like a drake swallowing its tail. Same kind of principle.

-M

Jolena
09-27-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by petroglyph
This has been on my to-do list for a while, and will probably stay there for a while yet.

a faenor-strung petrified haon pendant
Tiny leaves of deep green faenor interlink to form a thin chain that twists and sways like a living vine. At the center of the chain, two larger leaves drop down to cup a petrified haon oval. The ancient ivory-hued wood gleams from repeated polishing, though a few rich brown veins still furrow its surface. Following the pattern of the grain, a carved modwir tree spreads its gnarled limbs across the pendant to shelter a delicate bas-relief doe within its shade.

I really love that design! Especially how two leaves cup the haon oval. That rawks. And the sylvan feel to it is right on point, if that's what you were going for. I think the only thing I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around is the 'living vine' reference. But that's just because I'm wierd about that type of stuff.

Jolena
09-27-2005, 09:20 AM
I have the color list that everyone uses, but I need some color ideas for blue. Something along the lines of dusky blue, storm blue, blue-grey, that kind of thing. Thoughts?

-K

[Edited on 9-27-2005 by SpunGirl]

Heh! No, actually I'm always so flattered and happy when folks ask me for help on their designs. I really enjoy it! However, I need help too sometimes so I figured this would be a place for me to get it. Yes yes, it was a selfish reason so there. :P

As to the colors, I like dusky blue or perhaps murky blue/slate blue

Jolena
09-27-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by JihnasSpirit
I've been mulling over Nixtarey's eyes for like...ever.

I want them Asiatic but also an emphasis on the brightness of the silver.

Tilted, brilliantly silver eyes....Another word for tilted maybe. Idunno.

Narrowly slanted / Exoctically (sp?) slanted / Slanted / Narrow ?

Jolena
09-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Terminator X
Looking for Zaetuati to alter one of my finer Erithian weapons.

-- A deep sanguine (vultite/imflass/imflass-edged vultite) jitte with a soft strip of bleached leather braided carefully around/about its hilt..?

Its too late now, as Zaetuati already came, but I'm curious as to what you ended up having done! Tell tell! :)

The Ponzzz
09-27-2005, 04:16 PM
He never did come... Might come today

09-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Just because I can dress myself in a snazzy way in RL that doesn't mean I can do it in Gemstone. I dunno, I'm dumb like that.

Anyway.. I need a few things done for Arkans:

I need a short sword altered for him.

I need a shield altered for him.

I could use an outfit revamp.

For those of you who don't know, he's all ultra-nationalistic Faendryl man, and I basically shaped him around what an SS soldier would be from the Third Reich, but with an Elanthian twist. His outfit doesn't relate that. It relates more of a "WOOO I R MEAN DARK ELF", but that's about it.

Anyway, giving my left arm to anyone who can design an awesome outfit, hell, if you do it with gear that you have, I'll buy it all to help me out. Shield and sword I obviously have to do myself, but definately help out with designs.

Thanks.

- Arkans

Jolena
09-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Hrmm..I always ask a few basic standard questions before trying to design something for someone else.

What types of fabrics are you looking to use? Any you won't use at all?

What types of gems/symbols/images/colors does your character favor and in turn detest?

Is there a particular type of clothing that your character will absolutely not use ever?

Is there a favorite metal for your character or ones that he just won't use?

Axhinde
09-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Was thinking of turning my shield into...

A permeating fuzzy shield fashioned in the shape of a massive hairy snatch.

Dunno if it'll fly.

Tromp
09-29-2005, 03:10 PM
I'd rather have a smooth clean shaven sn@tch shield myself.

That is friggin hysterical Ax!

Axhinde
09-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Guaranteed to stop any incoming attacks.

Jolena
09-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Permeating... somehow that skerrs me. :shibby:

Axhinde
09-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Yes, well, these are "medieval" times.

09-29-2005, 03:28 PM
Hrmm..I always ask a few basic standard questions before trying to design something for someone else.

What types of fabrics are you looking to use? Any you won't use at all?

Favored materials would definately be: leather (black), wool, linen, and cloth

The look would definately stay away from silks as well as cashmere type things. No "soft" materials really. We're looking for a an opressive look or something that shows authority.

What types of gems/symbols/images/colors does your character favor and in turn detest?

Onyx would most likely be a huge hit as well as obsidian. Silver would work as well for buckles, buttons, and the like or something along those lines. It wouldn't be too bright or have a lot of sheen though as to not attract a ton of attention.

Colors would most likely use would be whites, reds, blacks, and greys and maybe some very dark greens, but very sparingly.

Symbol is sort of hard to explain. It would be an 8 point star of such on a shield that really represents the group that Arkans belongs too.

Obviously no "demon" stuff or "Faendryl crests" or whatever. That stuff is silly and most likely no "loud colors" would be seen on this type of uniform.

Is there a particular type of clothing that your character will absolutely not use ever?

Never use? Cloaks, vests, shoes (most likely wear high polished boots), kilts and the like.

Is there a favorite metal for your character or ones that he just won't use?

Gold would most likely be used extremely sparingly. Obsidian, as stated above, would most likely be used as well as silver. Anything really around that vein of material.

The picture is what the idea is basically influenced from. Obviously it doesn't look exactly like that (for instance, I'm debating of completely removing the hat) and of course be given more of an Elanthian look. We are looking for that authoritarian look though.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks for the help!

- Arkans

Jolena
09-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Okay did this in a pinch, but this is what I came up with.

A pair of onyx-clasped dark wool gloves

A crisp black linen coat: Designed to fasten across the right breast, the ankle-length coat is comprised of crisply pressed, deep black linen. Obsidian-hued satin lines the interior and several burnished silver frog-clasps adorn the garment from just below the high collar to three inches above the hem. A small eight point silver star adorns the outer edge on each stiffened shoulder for a formal appeal.

A pressed long-sleeved white shirt with silver-edged onyx cufflinks

some tailored black wool trousers: Finely spun wool, dyed a deep black, has been tailored to fall in two deep pleats to the crisply pressed cuffs of this garment. Lined with smoke grey satin, the trousers feature a small carved obsidian clasp as the only adornment.

a pair of calf-high stiffened black leather boots clasped with small silver buckles

09-29-2005, 04:59 PM
Looks really nice.

Now, I've been out of the loop for a bit, but umm.. How easy is it to come about getting these type of alters done? Like.. where could I find the merchants to do it or what not? Been a long time since I went merchant hunting.

- Arkans

Jolena
09-29-2005, 06:52 PM
Ebon's gate is a good place to start putting together the pieces of the outfit you settle on. I always check the calendars, and have a highlight list in game of merchants so if I see them log on, I immediately check to see where they might be and what they are doing etc. Alters aren't uber easy to get but they aren't that hard either if you pay attention to the calendar and who logs in.

09-29-2005, 07:03 PM
There a list of merchants out there that I could have?

- Arkans

Jolena
09-29-2005, 07:11 PM
www.nilandia.com I believe has a list of merchant names.

09-29-2005, 08:24 PM
You rock, thanks Jolena.

- Arkans

B2
09-30-2005, 11:30 AM
I posted a script a few days ago that highlights 1,000 merchant names for you, if you use stormfront.

Satira
09-30-2005, 11:40 AM
Where! Where!

Nevermind, it highlights in orange. All of my merchants are purple.

[Edited on 9-30-2005 by Satira]

B2
09-30-2005, 11:48 AM
So do a FIND/REPLACE all with the color code!

I don't know the stupid code for purple. I wish simu would put THAT in their script helpy guide.

I wish someone would do it and check to see who I'm missing.

Jolena
10-01-2005, 12:20 AM
Some pale grey chiffon trousers: Airy chiffon dyed a pale, almost translucent grey hue is lined with a layer of sage chiffon to give the fabric a multi-hued appearance. Loose by design, the garment falls elegantly from the low-slung waist which features a built-in braided white satin belt. The tapered pant legs tie around the outside of the ankle with removable thin strips of satin ribbon.

At a merchant now, could really use some advice on how to spruce this up or anything you see that doesn't look right!

Terminator X
10-01-2005, 01:22 AM
Yey for Nilandia:

You glance at a wintery white wool-wrapped wizard's wand satchel fitted with a woven wrought-iron strap.

Yes, I am aware of the more than one "W" :roll:

Viridian
10-01-2005, 02:06 AM
So I am working on a new outfit for darling little Hadya

I have the robe done: a gauzy russet robe with verdant ophidian embroidery adorning the hem

Paired with that I'm going to try and get a cloak done as a dress if they'll let me. I've two ideas....But I would love input on it.

Here is what I'm looking to get done, any suggestion or telling me it looks really bad is appreciated. I don't want to have anything that looks bad....

A veil-draped bronze diadem inset with a flawless soulstone.

A sleeveless linen wrap-dress with a bronze-linked soulstone girdle accenting the long skirt.

-OR-

A svelte linen wrap-dress with a slender bronze girdle accenting the floor-length skirt.

I don't know which looks better...if someone thinks they've a better idea I would love to hear, I'm willing to hear lots and lots of imput.

Jolena
10-01-2005, 02:21 AM
I really like the first one with the sleevless, that's teh hawt. And the daidem rawks!

Leetahkin
10-01-2005, 02:36 AM
I forgot tonight about my shield alter that I had worked on.

~ a black vultite wall shield inset with a single dagger-shaped emerald.

bodice

~ a slender pale green satin bodice
SHOW: Delicate lilac lace forms an overlay for this pale green satin bodice, subduing the glossy nature of the satin. The bodice is designed to come to two sharp points - one along the neckline and the other directly below - for an elongating effect.
(show is completely done by Ahya, green color from Riverman.)

B2
10-01-2005, 09:37 AM
Just warning you I plan on using that last line in something for myself sometime.

I need a top to go with the "a long chain-belted skirt formed from two panels of silk connected at the hips" I got done tonight.

I was thinking...

An elaborately tied silk scarf corset;
Lengths of white silk have been manipulated to create this corset without the use of stays or grommets. Each scarf folds into its neighbor, they layers of overlapping silk creating an ethereal look. The corset is designed to come to two sharp points—one along the neckline and the other directly below—for an elongating effect.

I'm trying to copy the Dark Elf girly on the dark elf page. I wish all the drawings of the races had cloaks or bags of some kind. It's really hard to get "Sheer scarves are wrapped around the head and draped over shoulders and arms." into something that a merchent will approve for a cloak-worn thing.

As for the sylph dress.

There are shoulder-worn frocks that hold a large amount out there, and I've never had a problem getting them altered into dresses. Well, that's a lie, Weifus on the Dhu wouldn't change the noun of ANYTHING. He's also the reason I have a "gray" in my sea of "greys".

They only hold a large amount, but it's workable.

Also, "a dainty polished silver circlet" is scripted and for sale in a player shop if you aren't doing a amulet holder.

4a6c1
10-01-2005, 09:58 AM
:-X

Nilandia
10-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Terminator X
Yey for Nilandia:

You glance at a wintery white wool-wrapped wizard's wand satchel fitted with a woven wrought-iron strap.

Yes, I am aware of the more than one "W" :roll:
Oh, my...

You actually got that MADE?!

Nilandia

Stunseed
10-01-2005, 11:21 PM
Thinking of a new idea for another axe of mine. Needs a more subtle way of saying "I'm slicing through your neck to sever your head" theme.

Was....a silver vultite waraxe.

Either through a long description or base + show...I want a tabar with the idea of subtle hint of beheading ( i.e. please no UB3R executioner's axes, etc ). It's a secondary weapon to use if my primary axe is not usable.

Praefection
10-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Since I know there are creative people here I'll beg for an idea for my cleric's hair. I'm trying to get an Egyptian (why does that work look wrong?) feel to it; black, thick, heavy but my brain doesn't want to work.

Axhinde
10-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Stunseed
Thinking of a new idea for another axe of mine. Needs a more subtle way of saying "I'm slicing through your neck to sever your head" theme.

Was....a silver vultite waraxe.

Either through a long description or base + show...I want a tabar with the idea of subtle hint of beheading ( i.e. please no UB3R executioner's axes, etc ). It's a secondary weapon to use if my primary axe is not usable.

How about an uber void black executioner's axe suspending a banner that reads, "Beheadings-R-Us, free of charge."?

Jolena
10-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Praefection
Since I know there are creative people here I'll beg for an idea for my cleric's hair. I'm trying to get an Egyptian (why does that work look wrong?) feel to it; black, thick, heavy but my brain doesn't want to work.

is the cleric a male or female?

Praefection
10-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Female.

Jolena
10-01-2005, 11:50 PM
You gotta tell me more about it like what type of look you're going for aside from long, black and thick hehe!

Praefection
10-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Heh! That's my problem. I don't want braids, over used in my opinion. She's very earthy and simplistic, straight hair without being frilly. I can see it being long, as in never cut once, kind of long.

Bleh. Brain farts suck.

Vixen
10-02-2005, 12:14 AM
I need two ideas for colors for Kasia. I need new outfits, and I've done everything from ivory, black white and grey, crimson and black.. jade and crimson... kilts, pants, skirts... just about everything.
I just need a color idea mainly and some different items to try.

Also, I am trying to make my empath look older. Shes a human, in her fifties. A shepherdess. I want to make her look a little more worn. Still pretty, but as if time has muted it a little. So any ideas for features would be lovely.

Jolena
10-02-2005, 12:15 AM
She has long heavy onyx hair streaked with deep amber highlights ??

Without knowing much more about the character that's what I can come up with.

Praefection
10-02-2005, 12:16 AM
Hm colors. Pink and grey. Blush and charcoal. Rose and pale grey, cashmere.

Vixen
10-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Duh.. silly me

Shes got long curly red hair that she wears in a long ass braid down her back, violet eyes, pale skin, she only has one feature alter
and it says something about wisps of hair framing her mature wise looking face or something like that.

And pink would be out for Kasia. She's a warrior, two handed, outwardly standoffish, inwardly a big sap. And absolutely HATES the color pink.

edited because I am tired and can't spell

[Edited on 10-2-2005 by Vixen]

Jolena
10-02-2005, 12:22 AM
She has long, heavy onxy hair graced with rich smoke/storm/hazy grey highlights

She has storm-grey tipped obsidian hair artfully twisted into lengthy plaits

Vixen
10-02-2005, 12:24 AM
ooh I like the long heavy thing. But I wanna keep it reddish faded like, but I LOVE the graced with.. I am stealing that!

Praefection
10-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Ohhh I'm starting to get ideas. I'll post up what my limited brain function is working with. Thanks!

Praefection
10-02-2005, 01:13 AM
Seems a little blah.

Here's my brilliant idea though.

she has very long, thick ebony hair divided into three locks (sections, pieces?) the fall past her waist.

Suggestions?

Jolena
10-02-2005, 01:22 AM
She has thigh-length thick ebony hair divided into three sections/plaits that fall past her waist.

Praefection
10-02-2005, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I might need to do this when I'm not so brain dead.

If you want to keep meddling with the idea, feel free.

(It's also a generalized you, not aimed at anyone specific)

Jolena
10-02-2005, 03:11 PM
anyone have a website with the flower language on it? I need to find out what flower represents desire. :roll:

DCSL
10-02-2005, 03:48 PM
I have a big ol' book on the Victorian language of flowers and that's what I use (the Elanthian guide is somewhat bare and lacks nuance) but this site covers a lot. http://www.apocalypse.org/pub/u/hilda/flang.html

None of them specifically mean desire but there's sensuality and physical pleasure and stuff. And hey, you can always do what I do, and make up a meaning for some Elanthian plant if it's not covered. 's what I'm doing for the Nalfein flower language which will go up on my site soon.

Jolena
10-02-2005, 03:56 PM
OoooOoooo, thanks Dex!

Satira
10-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Off the main website they have a site that gives the meanings of Elanthian flowers.

She has very long, thick ebony hair divided into three twisted locks (sections) that fall past her waist.

I feel like thigh-length + past her waist is kind of redundant.

Jayvn
10-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Tuberose ftw ;)

Praefection
10-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Heh, I love the tuberose tattoo my Ivasian has.

Five large tuberoses have been inked just below the shoulder blades, so their unfurling petals brush gently against the bone. Each perfectly formed flower varies slightly in color from deep crimson to a rich coppery red before darkening to near black. The heart of each flower has been highlighted a pale shimmery gold, casting a hint of innocence over the blooms. Without maring their beauty, curving black lines rip through the cluster of roses to form the words, "Embrace Me."

Just though I'd share.

Shari
10-02-2005, 11:46 PM
For Arkans:

a starched white cotton shirt

Devoid of extra ornamentation, this shirt is woven of densely-threaded, bleached white cotton. The garment has been heavily starched, and small ivory buttons serve to clasp the front closed. As a finishing touch, square silver cufflinks touch the wrists, with a dark patina staining the metal for a more classic look.

an austere dark grey woolen longcoat clasped up the front with a double row of onyx cabochon buttons

a pair charcoal linen pants sharply creased up each leg

some knee-high glossy black boots with sharply pointed toes

Now you have a couple more options, lemme know if you want some other ideas for items designed.

Shari
10-03-2005, 12:00 AM
For Praefection:

She has very long, ink-black hair with straight-cut bangs fanning out over her forhead and falling down the back in a heavy curtain.

Kinda long, but at least its not braided.

Satira
10-03-2005, 12:19 AM
I'm looking to come up with a good eye alteration for my Aelotoi bard. Her whole look is STRONGLY Egyptian with a slight Arabic mix thrown in there too. Her hair is black and will continue to be when it's altered. She has bronze skin. I want her to have some kind of dark, dark colored (maybe dark green) eyes. Anyone have any suggestions?

SayGoodbye
10-03-2005, 12:32 AM
I'd like to have my green eyes altered but I'm having trouble finding a color green that I like. Any suggestions?

Satira
10-03-2005, 12:45 AM
What's your character like? Give me something to go off of.

Praefection
10-03-2005, 01:55 AM
Oh my god. I'm stealing Jesae's hair idea. I'll save the other for a rainy day. What I had in mine that's much better described for the cleric.

10-03-2005, 08:53 AM
Yah, definately keep them coming!

Also, looking to get my leather amor redone in the same vein as above. Keep going for that authoritarian look if you can. So far, it's been great!

- Arkans

PS: Stuff for a short sword and shield will never be unappreciated as well.

Tromp
10-03-2005, 09:21 AM
What type of wood should I use for my Dhe'Nars long bow. I want blacken ash motiff but wasn't sure what type of wood was found in Sha'Rath (however you spell it)?

Edited cause I can't type for $hit!

[Edited on 10-3-2005 by Tromp]

Jolena
10-03-2005, 09:41 AM
Hopefully Evarin or Xandalf will pipe in here for information on the Dhe'nar stuff, because truthfully I'm not sure what kind of wood would normally be used. Its one of the few cultures that I've never really looked into although I have been curious for a while.

As to the eye color alternate word for green..I'm thinking I'm thinking! I used an obtuse word for Jolena's emerald green eyes but it's not really a dark green so I don't think it would work for what you guys are wanting. I'll research on it though.

SayGoodbye
10-03-2005, 10:36 AM
Well my character is a sylvan ranger with green eyes.. Right now they're crystal green. I just kinda wanted something not overused (Emerald, jade, viridian) but something that definitely says "green".

I'm not very good at it I guess. I thought of maybe Fern green but someone told me it sounded odd.

Jolena
10-03-2005, 10:42 AM
http://phrontistery.info/colours.html

GREAT site for obscure words for colors.

I used smaragdine for my Jo instead of emerald green, and I like it.

You could go with forest green, moss green, any # of things really.

SayGoodbye
10-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks Jolena, you're the best. :heart:

Jolena
10-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Welcome!

B2
10-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Playing around with freaking huge Aelotoi eyes...

I wish I could do, like, she has creepy huge whiteless black eyes.

The thought of it kinda creeps me out. But!

She has nearly black dark green eyes

She has deep black tinged with a faint glimmer of green eyes

She has a dark green glimmer in her nearly black eyes

She has a barely noticeable dark green tint in her almost-black eyes

She has a faint golden sheen brightening her dark green eyes

She has a barely discernable dark greenish sheen brightening her large shadowy black eyes

She has long lashes which seem to enlarge her already oversized blackwater-colored eyes

She has oversized, even for Aelotoi standards, nearly black dark green eyes

She has very thin eyebrows which arch delicately over her large, almond-shaped dark green eyes

Shari
10-03-2005, 11:06 AM
I'm pretty sure GM's would shoot down nearly all of those eye ideas. The only reason why I say so, is that even though they say EYES at the end, think of how you would go about rubbing them, or putting eye-makeup on them (assuming makeup really DOES come out within the next 10 years in this game). It would be...

So-and-so rubs her glimmer black eyes in an attempt to refresh them.

It needs to be along the lines of: She has <adjective>, <color adjective if you want><color> eyes.

Example..Nalina has darkly-lashed pale citrine eyes.

Jolena
10-03-2005, 11:21 AM
actually the rubbing of eyes doesn't use the description anymore. :( I so wish it did but they stopped doing that a while back for some reason. Now you just rub 'your eyes' or she rubs 'her eyes' to refresh them.

B2
10-03-2005, 11:44 AM
My empath: She has deep crow's feet extending from the corners of her piercing grey-flecked black eyes

I've seen it done, I've had it done. As long as it ends in eyes, and makes sense, I wouldn't rule it out.

Granted, I haven't tried to wear makeup with my empath, but she isn't really the makeupy type.

Maybe I'd have to mess around with the color and the color adjective, but I wouldn't knock most of those out.

Satira
10-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Almost all feature alterers don't use that format anymore. Usually they say it's too long and interferes with makeup being re-released. Also there are some items in the game that use eye color in their scripts.

If you caught a feature alterer who wasn't that sharp on the rules you could most likely do...

-She has long lashes that further enlarge her oversized blackwater-colored eyes

-She has very thin eyebrows arched delicately over her large, almond-shaped dark green eyes

Because I've seen a few of them do eyelashes in that way. I doubt any of the other ones listed would be done anymore, unless you got someone who had no idea what they're doing (which happens occasionally)

-She has oversized, even for Aelotoi standards, nearly black dark green eyes

I think the only time this would have been allowed is the very first time they did feature alterations, since there were no rules. And Aelotoi didn't exist then.

Just out of curiosity, who did your crow's feet and when?

[Edited on 10-3-2005 by Satira]

Asha
10-03-2005, 12:27 PM
He appears to be a Dhe'nar Dark Elf.
He appears to have come of age and taller than average. He has stunning, sparkling violet-flecked black eyes and flawless, lily-hued skin. He has very long, flowing shadowy black hair separated into two lustrous and long ponytails. He has a delicate face, a small nose and long, elegantly curved ears with shards of urglaes dusted along the edges.
He has a ring of tiny black stars encircling his neck.

I've been trying to get him to look like that for like 3 years.
All I have left to do is the ears and this is how he'll look.

It'll never happen though. This is going to be one helluva packed festival, and there's always the timezone problem.
Unless a cirtain someone wants to camp for me. :D

[Edited on 10-3-2005 by Drayal]

B2
10-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Sproink did the crow's feet when he was in Solhaven sometime last spring. I don't keep exact notes like the rest of you, so I can't give a date.

Satira
10-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Usually they won't put permanent earrings in. I've seen a couple of people get it done a long time ago. Maybe you'll be able to find someone new to do it.

I like the features though.

Asha
10-03-2005, 12:32 PM
If not I'll have an emergency alteration at the ready.
Something that will descibe them as elegant as I want them to be.

Satira
10-03-2005, 12:34 PM
I really like your hair for a guy. It's different.

Satira
10-03-2005, 12:39 PM
SayGoodbye--

What about virescent or celadon?

I personally liked fern green for a sylvan ranger.

Leetahkin
10-03-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Drayal
He appears to be a Dhe'nar Dark Elf.
He appears to have come of age and taller than average. He has stunning, sparkling violet-flecked black eyes and flawless, lily-hued skin. He has very long, flowing shadowy black hair separated into two lustrous and long ponytails. He has a delicate face, a small nose and long, elegantly curved ears with shards of urglaes dusted along the edges.
He has a ring of tiny black stars encircling his neck.

I've been trying to get him to look like that for like 3 years.
All I have left to do is the ears and this is how he'll look.

It'll never happen though. This is going to be one helluva packed festival, and there's always the timezone problem.
Unless a cirtain someone wants to camp for me. :D

With the amount of times I've seen Sproink in the past few days, you could have had your alter by now. Too bad we're not talking, eh?

Asha
10-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Why, Nobody Cares, could you have got me out of my band practices, huge work shifts and times out with friends?
Hon you not being able to contact me hasn't stopped me getting anything I couldn't have had on my own back. Since I wouldn't have been around anyway and there's no way you're ever getting my password and username.

Anyway, stop bringing shit that's in your head about me on these boards.
Back to the thread.

Leetahkin
10-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Firstly, don't call me hon.

Secondly, you're sitting there asking for someone to camp for you. How is that getting something on your own? Praytell.

Once upon a time you had given me your password. Back when you weren't an asshat.

Thirdly, you're talking about something I posted in ONE THREAD, which I tried to talk with you about. Grow up, Drayal.
Edited to add at least I admit my mistakes.

[Edited on 10-3-2005 by Nobody Cares]

Jolena
10-03-2005, 01:24 PM
I'd rather the two of you take it to U2U's personally. The thread isn't here to air out your issues with each other, its to discuss alterations and get help on them/offer suggestions.

Asha
10-03-2005, 01:32 PM
As I said. Back to the thread.
I'm considering having my armour changed in description due to DCSL's headsup about it forcing the viewer to see it as beautiful.

He is wearing a sleek black iron mesh cloak fastened from throat to waist with slate grey clasps, a suit of elegant dark leather armor beautifully scaled with scorched grey plates, a hazy glass ring, some sleek black cloth leg-wraps elegantly cross-tied with misty grey leather bonds, and a pair of matte black boots striated with pale grey hues.

Apart from that, I like what I have and can't think of anything I could change and be happy about it.

Czeska
10-03-2005, 01:42 PM
I have a navel ring I'd love to get altered at Ebon's. My main character has all her features altered, except her skin, which is fine as it is.

I am dying to see a projected list of shops, merchants, and services.

4a6c1
10-03-2005, 01:44 PM
[Edited on 10-3-2005 by JihnasSpirit]

B2
10-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Garvane has shadowy skin!

Maybe it's shadowy dark skin. I don't remember. But it's defitely shadowy!

Tromp
10-03-2005, 01:50 PM
When I envision shadowy my mind pictures blotchy.

About me again... anyone know what type of trees happen to reside in Sha'Rath so thats I can use it in my bow description?

DCSL
10-03-2005, 02:22 PM
I've got one of those Oops! Black ora! rings from the WD that I want altered and I desperately want more despanal stuff in Strata's wardrobe. So I've combined. How's this?

a despanel-set,black ora,ring
The ring is a thin, flat band of brushed black ora with a stylized rose intaglio etched into the surface, each petal realized with precision. A tear-shaped, smooth scarlet despanel sits at the edge of one petal, shining like a drop of fresh blood against the contrasting blackness of the setting.

B2
10-03-2005, 02:29 PM
<3 shining like a drop of fresh blood against the contrasting blackness of the setting

I really like that line.

Jolena
10-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Alright so I'm working on a gift for Jolena's bardess servant when she is graduated to a full bard status. Here goes, and please give any suggestions you would like. It's a work in progress and I probably won't have it all altered up for at least a few months.

a clingy gown of raw hyacinth silk graced with a sapphire-edged deeply plunging back

a trailing mauve gossamer wrap: Shimmering with the hues of violet, sapphire blue and and the occassional highlight of silver, the gossamer wrap is designed to rest elegantly upon the middle of the back with its long, trailing ends dangling over the elbows. Small, intricately carved sapphire beads trim the edge of the garment, attached to the hem with translucent silver thread.

some strappy silk slippers resting upon slender mistwood heels

a delicate mistwood instrument case branded with a stalk of heather bound by a silk ribbon

4a6c1
10-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Idunno about the trees of Sharath. Ideas for finding out tho. Maybe check the food docs for hints as to what 'type' of plants grow. Or, I think its like, a cave mountain system so think of a tree that grows in caves and dark, hmmm. Or you could always fall back on ebonwood. :D

That wrap is totally hot Jo.

SayGoodbye
10-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Satira,

Yeah I liked fern green too, but when I saw that website Jolena sent me, virescent jumped out at me so I was thinking of going with that or carbeau.

Since someone else like viriscent we have a winner!

Thanks for the input. :heart:

Also B2, carbeau might work for your bug since it's a slightly green sheened black, like a raven. (love that new website)

DCSL
10-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Gem-edged low-cut backs seem to be popular these days.

Jolena
10-03-2005, 02:52 PM
oh? I don't think I've noticed that to be honest. She wanted something that was revealing but not *too* much and I went with the plunging back. As the wrap has sapphire beads on it in the design I thought using it on the gown would be a nice touch.

Sowwy if I mimicked someone else without realizing it :(

Satira
10-03-2005, 02:53 PM
I think that whole thing is really well put together. I especially like how it goes, but it doesn't completely match.

I hate when things are too matchy...

To me, shadowy skin sounds really blotchy and doesn't really give you a clear image. The shadowy dark skin sounded better, to me.

Leetahkin
10-03-2005, 03:23 PM
I've stayed away from wanting to change Ent's appearance, because well... it took a lot out of me just to get ideas for the alters she already has.

She appears to be youthful and tall. She has sparkling crystal green eyes and fair skin. She has waist length, wavy copper red hair falling loosely around her face and adorned with a delicately carved ivory haircomb. She has a delicate face and slightly pointed ears.

I was thinking maybe: She has ianthine-flecked crystal green eyes and soft eburnean skin. I was thinking of changing to emerald, but I think it would be too much emerald when she wears her other outfit.

Not sure if I need more descriptives in there, or what to put. Thoughts on skin?

Jolena
10-03-2005, 03:34 PM
I :heart: the word eburnean. I have that in a show on a wrap I had made for my wedding oufit for Jolena.

Satira
10-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Ianthine-flecked is really cool, but it's kind of strong. I think if you're going to use it you should use something stronger than crystal green, since it's already an option and you see it all the time alone.

What about using viridian or pale green?

I like the skin.

[Edited on 10-3-2005 by Satira]

Leetahkin
10-03-2005, 03:52 PM
She has ianthine-flecked teal (get rid of green then, since it's redundant?) green eyes and soft eburnean skin.

Soft, standing alone, doesn't seem right - makes it sound like it's soft to the touch, which one wouldn't know. softly hued?

Satira
10-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Softly hued sounds weird when put with a color in the white family.

What about creamy, flawless, velvety or fair eburnean skin

HouseofElves
10-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by DCSL
Gem-edged low-cut backs seem to be popular these days.

Devil. >_<

B2
10-03-2005, 06:30 PM
I had to look up eburnean.

I like it better than honeydew, hee!

Viridian
10-06-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm thinking of changing Hadya's eyes (again) and I thought of a few ideas, let me know which you guys like the best.

She has tepid, topaz flecked viridian eyes.

She has calculating, dark-lashed viridian eyes.

Want to keep viridian, I love viridian...mhm.

Also have skin alteration

She has smooth sepia hued skin. (Love the word sepia too.)

Jolena
10-06-2005, 02:12 PM
She has tepid, topaz flecked viridian eyes.

She has smooth sepia hued skin

:heart: both of these

Tromp
10-06-2005, 03:57 PM
My long bow attempt for my Dhe'Nar Ranger

An elven dark ashen long bow

Over six feet in length, the dark ash wood of this bow shows countless hours of curing and seasoning. Hand rubbed with a mix of wax, resin and fine tallow, the patina of the ash wood is rich and lustrous. The taper of the bow limb is whip ended, and the silver capped tip is shaped to take a horn nock for the bow string loop. The mid-grip is tightly wrapped in tawny, butter-soft doeskin, and engraved on the stock are the words "Duk'Sa - Blessed are those who are first to battle"

please help!?!

Jolena
10-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Just had this done for a prize costume. I'm pretty pleased with it.

a smoky ebon silk gown with a pair of grey-tipped ebon feathered wings sprouting from the back.

a slender grey satin half-mask: A light coating of diamond dust covers the fine satin of the mask and lines the edges of the sharply curved eye-slits. Attached at the right hand lower edge is a slim ebonwood rod wrapped in narrow wisps of silvery satin. Small chips of smoky obsidian adorn each strip of satin along the rod in various places.

I still need to come up with a design for the twin scythes.

Right now I'm thinking something simple like

a slender white scythe

a slender black scythe

Praefection
10-10-2005, 06:16 PM
I sorta reworked the longbow idea. I'm not the best when it comes to weapons but here you go!

Crafted from seasoned ash this longbow is over six feet in length. The dark nature of the wood is enhanced by hours of hand rubbing with wax, resin and fine tallow for a rich and lustrous pantina. (I have no idea what a bow limb or horn nock are so I'm leaving that out. I'd muddle it up most likely) Tightly wrapped around the mid-grip is a length of buttery-soft tawny doeskin cross-stitched with silvery threads. As a final touch, the stock is carefully engraved with the words, "Duk'sa - Blessed are those first to battle."

Tromp
10-11-2005, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Praefection
I sorta reworked the longbow idea. I'm not the best when it comes to weapons but here you go!

Crafted from seasoned ash this longbow is over six feet in length. The dark nature of the wood is enhanced by hours of hand rubbing with wax, resin and fine tallow for a rich and lustrous pantina. (I have no idea what a bow limb or horn nock are so I'm leaving that out. I'd muddle it up most likely) Tightly wrapped around the mid-grip is a length of buttery-soft tawny doeskin cross-stitched with silvery threads. As a final touch, the stock is carefully engraved with the words, "Duk'sa - Blessed are those first to battle."

Thanks P! I'm definately going to use the last sentence edit and the silver stitching idea.

You are awesome!!!

Chovexanii
10-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by GS3 Michiko
I think you mean the cheongsam that Michiko has that. No idea who has it now.
[Edited on 9-26-2005 by GS3 Michiko]

OOh they actually made a cheongsam? Which merchant?
I had a tough time getting my second Choli made. But I'm happy with my descriptive version of a cheongsam.

Hips
10-21-2005, 10:18 PM
I don't recall the name of the merchant... it was an elderly halfling guy who took forever to get through one alter. I think he was at one of the Ebon Gate fests, but I honestly don't remember. Sorry. :(

Terminator X
10-22-2005, 07:11 AM
Nilandia was hired as of recent to design 110% of any insidious alters that I'm unfortunate enough to get chosen for. I pay her with cookies made of fucking veil iron. Woot. You rock!

A thigh-length leather crafting jerkin tooled with the small image of a Fash'Lo'Nae symbol surmounting sunset-lit mountains, I think it was.

Oh yah, and Jolena helped me with my spellbook too, which was really cool, too <3 :)

- The Termite

Jolena
10-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Okay so for some reason, (probably the upcoming WD whee!), I'm on a 'lets design multiple new outfits for Jolena just in case' kick. Soo..opinions?

Hair change ideas:

She has rich maple-hued hair that falls in a graceful silken wave to the small of her back.

She has silky maple-hued hair that falls in a graceful wave to her hips.

She has straight, maple-hued hair that falls in a silken wave to her thighs.

Now for the outfit: (I'm kinda struggling with the skirt idea)

A pale beryl blue batiste blouse: Tailored to rest low upon the shoulders and back, the simple blouse features a faint roseate pattern upon the pale, finely woven batiste silk. Slender ivory ribbons weave through burnished silver grommets an inch above the hem of the gathered, elbow-length sleeves. A carved ivory stargazer lily, positioned to call attention to the shoulder blades of the wearer, clasps the elegant garment at the back.

A flounced ivory organza peasant-skirt: Lined with pale blue silk, the sheer ivory organza of the skirt falls in unfettered pleats to the ankle-length hem. Cornflower blue stitching gathers the skirt in a subtle flounce two inches above the hem and a trio of draped mithril waistchains connected by an intricate silver cloisonne clasps the garment at the hip.

A pair of braided hemp sandals with slender mahogany heels

A slender mithril wire choker adorned with a spray of delicate ivory-carved lilies

A beige natural linen hip-sack strung with carved beryl beads

:rah:

Czeska
10-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Something about straight hair falling in a wave sounds awkward to me.

Jolena
11-23-2005, 07:43 PM
Okay looking for opinions. I've been asking around and I seem to get alternating ones from everyone, so I figured I'd try here.

I've designed a winter outfit for Jolena and I really love it, but I'm struggling with the color theme for the cape and trousers. SO..I'm going to toss up all the different ideas I've had and I want some opinions on which color for the cape and trousers work best.

She is wearing a lily-white woolen cape with a hem cut at a dramatic angle from hip-to-ankle, a cowled burgundy chenille sweater, a sinuously curving silver bracelet set with dark moonstones, a feather etched maple case, some fitted pearlescent wool trousers and a pair of slouched burgundy suede half-boots.

She is wearing an alabaster woolen cape with a hem cut at a dramatic angle from hip-to-ankle, a cowled burgundy chenille sweater, a sinuously curving silver bracelet set with dark moonstones, a feather etched maple case, some fitted alabaster wool trousers and a pair of slouched burgundy suede half-boots.

She is wearing an ivory woolen cape with a hem cut at a dramatic angle from hip-to-ankle, a cowled burgundy chenille sweater, a sinuously curving silver bracelet set with dark moonstones, a feather etched maple case, some fitted pearl-hued wool trousers and a pair of slouched burgundy suede half-boots.

Vote!!

SayGoodbye
11-23-2005, 07:53 PM
I like either the second or third choice. I'm having a hard time getting my mind around "pearlescent wool".

B2
11-23-2005, 07:55 PM
I like lily-white cape and alabaster trousers.

Those two sound the best when you say them out loud.

DCSL
11-23-2005, 08:14 PM
I'd pick the second one, myself. Flared cuts are so in this season in GS.

4a6c1
11-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Just finished this. For Jihna. If I can get her 'church clothes' mask redone I will.

a bloodshot obsidian luukos half-mask
show: The mask is a terrifying countanence of the darker side of worship. Some primitive tribal carver has personalized the creation so that it fits perfectly the soul and body of the wearer. Hard-angled cutouts and jagged swirls of ebony jewel enhance the strong proportions of the wearers face while runes in a foreign, barbaric language cover the blood-speckled stone with intent of malice.

But now I'm wondering if either the title or descript is too long...hmmm

Czeska
11-30-2005, 09:37 AM
It seems just a bit verbose to me... Maybe just a bloodshot Luukosian half-mask?

Viridian
11-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Okay so I made up a nice winter outfit for my Nalfein. Some input would be great.

a fillagree black vaalin circlet inset with and marquise-cut gold dreamstone.

a vinaceous wool cotehardie fastened from collar to waist with gold buttons.

an underskirt of pleated black lace.

some pointed vinaceous slippers.

DCSL
11-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Heh, that looks like Uniana's outfit! Well, the one that I bought from her.

Just a correction on "a fillagree black vaalin circlet inset with and marquise-cut gold dreamstone" to be a filigree black vaalin circlet inset with a marquis-cut gold dreamstone

Viridian
11-30-2005, 07:05 PM
Thank you for the correction, *blushes* I'm toying with the cut of the cotehardie, I may make it high collared.

I'm actually thinking of changing the underskirt to crinoline.

DCSL
11-30-2005, 07:35 PM
If it helps, this is the design Uniana made:

a claret faille bliaut buttoned from the high collar to the split-front skirt
a stark white underskirt bejeweled with ruby teardrops along the hem

Viridian
11-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Alrighty so I changed it a bit...

a filigree black vaalin circlet inset with a margquise-cut gold dreamstone.

A high-collared black wool pelisse fastened with triple-loop gold frogs.

an empire-waist vinaceous moire silk gown overlaid with black lace.

some pointed vinaceous slippers

Edited for spelling....again.

[Edited on 12-1-2005 by Viridian]

SpunGirl
12-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Naessi's new hair.

OK... Naessi needs new hair, and I've been trying to figure out a good design for aaages. She has cascading hair at present (hides) but in my defense, I got the alteration like two days after the tents showed up, so I know I was one of the first (if not the first!) ... so it's not my fault if it's over done!

Anyway.... here are my two choices. I like my hair alterations very very simple... and living in IMT hardly affords Naessi much chance for sun-streaks.

Longer:
She has thick, shiny chestnut hair that swirls in loose waves just past her shoulder blades.

Naessi gets a haircut:
She has thick, shiny chestnut hair that ends just below her chin in slightly curled tips

-K

Jolena
12-01-2005, 04:06 PM
I like the haircut idea personally. It's not done very often with the chin-length hair on women.

Hips
12-01-2005, 04:20 PM
I like the first one. You could always have a wig made if you want both though. :D

Jolena
12-01-2005, 04:21 PM
I wish the wig guy would come around to FWI or in the regular game area rather than just on the WD. :(

Hips
12-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Jolena
I wish the wig guy would come around to FWI or in the regular game area rather than just on the WD. :(

Me too... I only have one. :cry:

SpunGirl
12-01-2005, 04:49 PM
I might go with the short hair... I picture it volume-y, kind of swinging just past her chin. Also, two new gown ideas:

a full-skirted white linen dress embroidered shoulder-to-hem with a spiral of bright red poppies

A strapless toffee silk gown with an off-white antique lace underskirt

-K

Aaysia
12-01-2005, 05:20 PM
mmmm toffee

I like that idea for a gown. And toffee is a yummy color :smilegrin:

Hips
12-01-2005, 05:41 PM
I would do toffee and cream, but that may just be because I'm hungry. :lol:

SpunGirl
12-01-2005, 07:10 PM
That's a good idea, Michiko... I have a lot of cream stuff already, but then I could wear my cream jacket with it.... ::strategizes::

-K

Satira
12-01-2005, 07:56 PM
I love the shorter hair idea.

DCSL
12-01-2005, 07:57 PM
I vote short too. And mmm, toffee.

Czeska
12-25-2005, 11:23 PM
Waiting for this to be completed via premie scroll..

A low-backed black velvet bodice cinched tightly with onyx-tipped cording"

Jolena
12-25-2005, 11:36 PM
I'm considering whether or not to use premium scrolls to get my third winter outfit done..

Renian
12-26-2005, 12:00 AM
Working on an evil, Onar themed weapon for my rogue.

A sinister black assassin's blade with a cracked white skull adorning the hilt.

This evil-looking sword is nightmarish in appearance. Jagged and heavily bloodstained, it has seen and slain many foes. The serrated blade allows the assassin to saw his victim's throat open to instill more pain upon death. The skull on the hilt reminds you of the symbol of Onar, the Assassin Arkati. Its eyes are inset with rubies that seem to glow with malice.

[Edited on 12-26-2005 by Renian]

DCSL
12-26-2005, 12:47 AM
You probably will not get that done as it is. First of all, it is a long and a show and it can only be one OR the other. Secondly, there're a couple of subjective things in the sword's show. The glowing with malice. The fact that you call the assassin a he, when the assassin could very well be a she. Or an it.

If you search long and hard, you might get a merchant to make it. But the rest might kill your character for even asking for something so rule-breaking. But before you do that, you have to narrow it down to a long or a short with a show, 'cause not even Kyalia will break that rule.

Having both requires a special script and no regular merchant will do it. Just to give you a picture of the rareness of merchants that will do it... I've had near five hundred merchant services in one form or another and never have I gotten a show and a long done. I've only seen one merchant that would do it at all.

Renian
12-26-2005, 01:11 AM
Oh, I know about the show and the long description. I just made both anyway in case I could ever get it done. It's probably going to look just like a sinister black assassin's blade, plus the show.

As for the he, she, or it thing...I'm just following the rules of English. You should choose one gender and leave it at that rather than listing multiple.

On the malice thing...Well, hell, I just checked alter 5. Thanks for pointing that out.

EDIT: ...And alter 12. Wow. Pwned.

Renian
12-26-2005, 01:27 AM
Alright, here it is, slightly revised.

A sinister black assassin's blade with a cracked white skull adorning the hilt. (Most likely to be simply: A sinister black assassin's blade.)

This evil-looking sword is nightmarish in appearance. Jagged and heavily bloodstained, surely it has seen and slain many foes. The serrated blade allows the assassin to saw his victim's throat open to instill more pain upon death. The skull on the hilt is similar to the symbol of Onar, the Assassin Arkati. Its eyes are inset with rubies that stare at you malevolently.

Hm...I think talking about it having seen and slain many foes might be a problem, because it could count as it making the other character think of something. Other than that it looks better. What do you guys think?

Rysk
12-26-2005, 01:36 AM
Oh my god, if you make that I will die..

let me fix it..even though I don't think assassin should be in it at all, i won't complete change your alter..

a serrated assassin's warblade

This warblade has seen heavy use, apparent by the flakes of dried blood caked within the serrations. A cracked ivory skull adorns the hilt, its eyes formed by the tiniest of rubies. The grip has been wrapped with supple black leather to provide a sure grip under most any condition.

Use it if you like... but... that alter.. i....yea...

use mine.. if you must have an assassins blade..

Renian
12-26-2005, 01:40 AM
True, the word "assassin" may be questionable, but it is within Alter guidelines. But I know what you are talking about; people making Faendryl and other type stuff that couldn't be recognized by the character.

Warblade? Ehh...you generally don't see assassins in the middle of a battleground. Just "blade" will do.

Jolena
12-26-2005, 02:25 AM
Here are my thoughts.

Firstly, I'd like to impress that these are only thoughts, so don't take them as meant to upset or degrade your ideas.

The word assassin in the description is just in my opinion, undoable. Sure, you will find merchants who will make you one, and yes there are definitely others already made along with assassins cloaks, assassin bags, you name it, it has assassin on it. However, if you are truly playing an assassin, why would you want it to be broadcasted all over the place? Also, there is that pesky notion of how would my character know what an assassin blade looks like right off the bat?

Secondly, the part that you have in the show about being serrated to allow a person to saw on another's throat is just off for me. There are many ways that a blade can be used. If something was going to be done specifically with that blade, IE only throat shots, then that's fine, but the purpose of a serrated edge is not just for sawing open a neck. It is to inflict more pain, sure, but not just on a neck I wouldn't think. Again, just personal opinion.

Here are my suggestions for your design:

A serrated ebon blade adorned upon the hilt with a cracked white skull

A serrated ebon blade:

Meticulously melded and hammered, the serrated (insert metal type here) blade of the weapon is dyed a murky ebon hue. Darkened, sanguine flecks of dried blood mar the blade's edge and the weapon shows signs of wear and extensive use. Designed to inflict excessive pain upon its victim, the weapon has a sinister curve to its length. A dull and cracked white skull adorns the leather-wrapped hilt - its visage resembling the symbol of Onar, Arkati of the assassin.

Renian
12-26-2005, 10:29 AM
However, if you are truly playing an assassin, why would you want it to be broadcasted all over the place?

An excellent, excellent point.

Secondly, the part that you have in the show about being serrated to allow a person to saw on another's throat is just off for me. There are many ways that a blade can be used. If something was going to be done specifically with that blade, IE only throat shots, then that's fine, but the purpose of a serrated edge is not just for sawing open a neck.

Generally, the stereotypical medieval assassin that uses a edged weapon does one of two things:

1. Goes for the throat.
2. Goes for the back.

So that's why I said it. You have a good point though, once again.

Your alter design pwns too. Thanks!

Rysk
12-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Correction: Technically Onar is not an Arkati, he's a lesser spirit..... so reword it to Onar, Assassin of the Arkati..

Artha
12-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Assassins aren't really known for going to war, why would one have a warblade?

TheEschaton
12-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Personally, when I go with assassin gear, I like the weapon to be nondescript.

So that when you silentstrike someone, and all they see is the weapon, what they see is:

A shadowy figure attacks you with a really plain blade you could never identify again!

-TheE-

Terminator X
12-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Artha

Assassins aren't really known for going to war, why would one have a warblade?

One word:

Caterwauling ninjas.

Jolena
12-26-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Rysk
Correction: Technically Onar is not an Arkati, he's a lesser spirit..... so reword it to Onar, Assassin of the Arkati..

Or you could possibly call him "Onar, Patron of the assassin"

:shrug: dunno but he's right, I didn't think of the fact that Onar is considered a lesser spirit. Hell, everyone knows who Onar is, so to be honest you don't have to put hes' the patron or lesser spirit or arkati of the assassin at all. Just use his name and he's known for what he does.

SpunGirl
01-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Color considerations:

I was paging through a Company Store catalog this morning while I was getting ready for work, and came across a few "camel" colored items. Do we have camels in GS? Would "taupe" be a better word to convey this kind of soft-brown color?

Other colors I liked were persimmon, marine and cayenne. I know catalogs can be a lot more liberal with color words than we can when designing clothes, but I wanted to hear thoughts.

-K

DCSL
01-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Hm. I have no idea if we have camels or not. There isn't even a mention of them in the Tehir docs, where I would expect them. I'd go with taupe just to be on the safe side.

And I especially like cayenne as a color adjective, but I don't know if we have those. Persimmons either. Marine I've seen. You could probably slip all of these words by certain merchants, if you want to do the leg work, though.

SpunGirl
01-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Thx, Dextra, I was glad that I saw you viewing the boards after I posted that:)

Sometimes I feel it's difficult to come up with different color words that are also "pretty" (for example, I like the COLOR orange, but I don't like the WORD orange), and in text the word you use is as important as the image it conveys.

-K

Ebondale
01-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Well since I have returned to the lands once again I have concluded that it is my duty to end this many year long crusade to actually get an alter done. :D

My account is premium and I'm trying to store up some premie points. I also have two Katrianne tokens laying around. Hopefully I can use those.

I posted this following long description before but I thought I'd post it again for some help.

An ancient Dhe’nari stalking cloak crafted from a myriad patchwork of shadowy black leather

I know that Simu says to "try" to keep a long description 12 words or less and this one is 14. Would that automatically make it undoable?

Also, if you get a long description on something - this cloak for example - can you also have a show description on it?

DCSL
01-08-2006, 05:05 PM
No, no shows + longs. You might have some trouble getting Dhe'nari. I gather that someone.. Fallen, maybe.. was having trouble with it semi-recently.

It seems a bit over-the-top to me, but that's just taste and not necessarily a rule. Otherwise, technically, you could get it made.

SpunGirl
01-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Right. From what I understand of the Dhe'nari (which isn't a ton), something wouldn't necessarily be recognized as "Dhe'nari" withouth some of their specific symbols, crests or caste markings. Even if it had those markings, not everyone in the Lands could reasonably be expected to know what it meant. I do like the imagery with the last bit, the "myriad patchwork."

-K

Ebondale
01-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Well. I read somewhere before (I think on the Tower's website) that Dhe'nar are known to wear stalking cloaks. I would think that a Dhe'nari stalking cloak would have a certain cut to it... or something like that. :)

SpunGirl
01-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Tower website does not equal an official Simu document, and if you attempt to quote that to a merchant as a basis for an alteration, they will probably laugh at you.

-K

Ebondale
01-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Tower website does not equal an official Simu document, and if you attempt to quote that to a merchant as a basis for an alteration, they will probably laugh at you.

-K

Oh, I'll probably get laughed at regardless. :) Its not my fault that Celtic and Starsnuffer can write better Elanthian history than Simutronics can.

I'm sure you're right, though. In any event, it couldn't hurt to submit the idea. The worst they could do is laugh at me and call me names.

It really sucks though because I've seen a lot of Dhe'nar alters floating around. I just hate to feel, you know, left out. :(

Artha
01-08-2006, 06:08 PM
I'd take out the word 'ancient'. Unless your character is too poor to buy newer, nicer things.

Ebondale
01-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Artha
I'd take out the word 'ancient'. Unless your character is too poor to buy newer, nicer things.

And if I am too poor? :smilegrin:

EDIT: Actually I had been considering changing that to 'weathered'

[Edited on 1-8-2006 by Ebondale]

SpunGirl
01-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Weathered is SO overused. But it's better than "worn."

-K

Ebondale
01-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Weathered is SO overused. But it's better than "worn."

-K

Now that you mention it I have seen it on quite a few items lately. I do like the imagery of weathered black leather scraps sewn together in a patchwork, though.

What about 'fitted' or... something like that? Making the item seem more personal. Like it belongs on the wearer. I don't particularly like 'fitted', I've seen it so often.

SpunGirl
01-08-2006, 06:25 PM
I like "tailored." It gives the effect of a rather no-frills item, and one that fits the wearer well.

-K

DCSL
01-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Fitted... I have a hard time seeing a cloak as something fitted. They're so flowy. Tailored, perhaps.

Ebondale
01-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Tailored is good. It does give the 'no frills' impression that would be fitting for a Dhe'nar, but I can't imagine a Dhe'nar going to a tailor and getting their cloak made up to be 'real purty'. :)

:lol: Then again I am trying to go to an alteration merchant, eh..

DCSL
01-08-2006, 07:08 PM
While we're all designing, I'd like some input on an outfit. Specifically, ideas for a skirt or pants to go with the outfit. Thus far it is this:

She is wearing a string of alternating red-gold and ruby hair beads, a sharply cut short ebon silk jacket, a slick vividly-hued fire salamander skin corset, (skirt/pants), and some flat-soled leather sandals fastened with gilded rings.

Jacket:
Fine, matte silk forms this petite, exquisitely tailored midriff-style jacket. The sleeves are long and split down the back from the elbow, causing them to flare faintly. Ornate lacing fastens the jacket from the low standing collar to the hemline, cut to come to a sharp point in the front.

I don't particularly care if it's a long or a short with show, but nothing too voluminous, please.

SpunGirl
01-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Without offering anything more useful, I'd say pants with that outfit appeal the most to me.

Sometimes I wish Naessi wasn't such a priss so I could have her in pants every now and again.

-K

Ebondale
01-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Heres a question:

Has anyone seen the movie "Kingdom of Heaven"?

The king of Jerusalem is a leper and wears a mask with intricate engravings on it. How would someone actually describe the appearance of that mask in Elanthian alteration style?

Ilvane
01-18-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm looking for some help in designing a cloak that would suit a ranger, but also be somewhat dark..I'm at a loss honestly. Any thoughts?

Her outfit is made of suede and velvet. The colors are black, a touch of red, and mahogany.

-A

Czeska
01-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Long desc or show on that cloak?

Ilvane
01-18-2006, 01:28 PM
I'd prefer a show, she has one long description item already.

:)

-A

Jolena
01-18-2006, 06:08 PM
I made a mahogany suede jacket for Stunseed to wear while it was Fall and he was working out on the 'mountain' doing rangerly things. I'll get the show on it and paste it here. It might give you some ideas even though his is more masculine.

Edited to add in the designs and shows for his pants and jacket, which have that whole red/mahogany theme like you mentioned for a Ranger.

a brushed mahogany suede jacket: The brushed mahogany-hued suede of the garment is treated to withstand the elements and tailored to fall to mid-calf, with dual hip-length slits gracing both sides. Adorning the right side of the jacket from mid-chest to hip, sanded maplewood toggles carved into the shape of acorns have been gilded with thin silver tracery while the toggle on the high collar has been intricately carved into the image of a modwir tree. A satin tag affixed to the inside of the hem reads, “A Zrenigotham Creation”.

some loose sienna kidskin pants: The supple sienna-hued kidskin is lined with a layer of light cotton for comfort, dyed just a shade darker then the kidskin itself. Tailored to fit loosely, the pants feature lightly creased pleats just under the waistline and fine russet stitching provides a subtle contrast in color along the precise seams. A sanded red-oak toggle embellished with silver gilding serves as the fastener and a small satin tag affixed to the inside of the waistband reads, "A Zrenigotham Creation".

[Edited on 1-18-2006 by Jolena]

Ilvane
01-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Hmm..that helps a little. I used to make alterations all the time, nowadays, I'm just way out of practice.

Here's my cloak idea..thanks for the help and inspiration!

a soft mahogany suede longcloak--Created of soft mahogany suede, the longcloak is elegantly lined with a pale amber silk, and is adorned with rich, chestnut-hued buttons. Small, yet detailed ivy creeps along the hem, creatively stitched in a light, lustrous amber thread. Crafted to fall just below knee length, the finely made garment is beginning to show slight wear at the elbows, and along the bottom edges.

I have another idea too, though this is a different character.

Kristen and I came up with this, after much ado:
a rich tangerine satin bodice tightly laced with pale amber ribbons(already done)

What I want to create to go with that is a multi-layered skirt..I'm not sure what to put with the satin..cotton, silk, chiffon..something relatively warm in color..I was thinking amber and shades of orange to match the bodice.

-A

[Edited on 1-19-2006 by Ilvane]

Jolena
01-19-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm a fan of chiffon with silk lining personally. It's the lightness of the fabric that does it for me.

Aaysia
01-19-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm horrible with armor and weapon alters. Usually I try to do stuff myself (or bug Jolena :D ) but I'll be glad on any input. Or if anyone wants to show me stuff they've already done to lead me in the right direction that'd be awesome too.

The character works with a black and gold theme.. I'd like for the hauberk to be black with a gold or golvern design. It's for a male warrior.

:help:

El Burro
01-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Real warriors don't wear hauberk :)

Aaysia
01-19-2006, 11:54 AM
its temporary! (and for a friend)

His growth is slow and he's working his way up to full plate eventually. He just wants something nice for now. Shush Burro!

Jolena
01-19-2006, 02:01 PM
His growth is slow.

:lol2:

Okay okay sorry.

Ahem. Back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Aaysia
01-19-2006, 03:26 PM
*groans* you people are TERRIBLE!

Van
01-19-2006, 04:09 PM
some close-fitting darkened leather pants: The darkened leather is pulled tightly over a thin black layer of kidskin. With no visble stitching, the fabric silently bends and folds with each movement of the wearer. Upon closer examination, a front pocket is revealed by the feight outline of what was once the tooled image of an eagle soaring across a golden sunset.

Adorning the shield is the tooled image of two lovers embraced. Laying amidst a field of clover, gazing lovingly into one anothers eyes, lost in the moment. Towering above them is the image of a man in dark leather armor - a single tear falls from his cheek.

[Edited on 1-19-2006 by Van]

Aaysia
01-19-2006, 05:05 PM
some midnight black vultite hauberk: Evidently made by a skilled blacksmith and dyed the hue of a starless night's sky, tightly linked chain has been formed to make up a full suit of hauberk. Thin lines of golvern decorate the pauldrons and greaves of the armor, looking akin to slender gold tendrils of smoke against black background. To provide the wearer some comfort, thick bear fur pads the inner surface, the itchy fur covered in a cool soft cotton lining.

Viridian82
02-06-2006, 11:34 AM
okay you guys, I'm in full mode for WaveDancer Altering.

I need an opinion on this design.

a fine linen dupatta adorned with serpentine copper tracery.

Yes? No? Should I change the wording, or can you visualize it?

Jolena
02-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Okay I feel dumb but what is a dupatta?

Viridian82
02-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Hey everyone, I'm in full creation mode for the Wavedancer.

So here are three designs I have, I need to know if gramatically they are okay, and if you can visualize them.

a long grey linen headdress bound with band of copper-linked bloodjewels

a hip-belt of linked bloodjewel-inset copper discs

a fine linen dupatta adorned with serpentine copper tracery

input would be great, let me know!

Viridian82
02-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Bleh I thought I deleted that message, It's a shawl like deal, or wrap.

Jolena
02-06-2006, 11:40 AM
I absolutely love them but my favorite is the headdress. You make me jealous! <3

Viridian82
02-06-2006, 11:44 AM
*grins* thank you Jolena, just making sure when someone reads it they don't have trouble visualizing the items.

B2
02-06-2006, 12:00 PM
>a long grey linen headdress bound with band of copper-linked bloodjewels

bound with...A band? several bands? You forgot your article!

Pretty, though.

Viridian82
02-06-2006, 12:10 PM
hrm I like several bands. maybe I'll do that, sounds better.

Kierke
02-06-2006, 12:42 PM
I have a question on the dupatta.

a fine linen dupatta adorned with serpentine copper tracery

Is the tracery actually copper, the metal, or is it copper in color?

If it's copper the color, then it should be "a fine linen dupatta adorned with copper serpentine tracery." Because in that case, copper is the adjective, it modifies the subject, which is the serpentine tracery. (Which for the purposes of this, we're considering the proper name of the subject.)

If it's copper the metal, then, "a fine linen dupatta adorned with serpentine copper tracery," is fine.

As a complete aside, if it's copper the color, I would make it coppery, instead of copper. I would also use a more active verb instead of adorned, like entwined, or swirled, or spun. But that, of course, is just personal preference.

Viridian82
02-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Ah no it's not the metal just copper in color. but you are right. It should be worded differently like you said. Now that you mention it. See, I'm glad I posted.

*grins* Thank you, Kierke.

DoubleDown56
02-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Allright, so I'm sitting here resting after a death and I realize I got something done right before I left the game last year. It's a friggin tattoo I'd been itching to get for about three years! So I'm gonna show it off here.

a four-legged tart tattoo (Chest) - The massive, four-legged tart is inked with a myriad of dark colors, except for the oozing jam, which is bright crimson. A tiny halfling is wedged in the creature's toothy maw, his eyes wide with horror and arms flailing or grasping for help.

Ebondale
02-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Thats pretty sweet but the only thing that gave the tart any sort of monster or animal-like characteristics was that it had legs prior to you calling the tart a 'creature'.

I love the tattoo, though! When are you going to be able to get it done?

Merji
02-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Ok all, My little Sylpy is boarding the WD for the Valentine's Day voyage..I have a few ideas hashed out for alterations, though I'm not sure exactly how many I should have. I will admit I tend to stress myself out right before one of these sorts of things, thinking I'll not have my ideas ready, I won't have an idea for the type of item the merchant is working on, etc.. Is there some standard you all go with, as far as what types, and how many ideas you plan before such an event. My sylph is going first class..courtesy of her ..Dhe'nar;)..I'm not how many alteration opportunities this will allow her. Any ideas?

Merji's Muse

Jolena
02-07-2006, 03:06 PM
When I went on the maiden voyage it was first class and I think I got around 30 services all together. Maybe a bit less.

My rule of thumb is to have a backup idea or two for any one item I really want so that if the merchant won't make it and I really don't want to wait for another opportunity, I have something available. Otherwise, I have around 5 ideas for each thing I want/need. 5 ideas for weapons, 5 ideas for jewelry, 5 for clothing, 5 for shoes, etc. Sometimes you just can't plan for it though and have to wing it. In that case I just type HELP in all caps to my friends on AIM and beg for idea help. :D

Viridian82
02-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Yeah on the last voyage, in first class I got about 15, I don't know if it will be different this time around. It seems to vary.

Merji
02-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Alright I'm really wanting to get a scar..though I want it in a tattoo slot so it can be covered. I'm also trying to figure out if Brandings are allowed? Say one used to be a slave, or is not currently a slave..etc..? Also I'm trying desperatly to come up with a nice hair idea, though it always sounds too long.. I'm also going to throw my alter idea for my armor up here..I've been working on it for ages now,and I can't get it right. I want it to look like Dhe'nari armor..that is originally was/is, however I want it to show that it was re-fitted to fit Merji..if that makes sense..

Scar/Tattoo thing-a faint silvery line that transverses her abdomen/a faint silvery scar that transverses her abdomen.

Hair Idea-She has exotic violet hued deep black hair which falls around her shoulders to tumble in languid rivulets that pool gently at her waist.--or She has deep black violet hued hair falling around her shoulders in luxurious rivulets that pool gently at her waist.

As it is now..some sleek Dhe'nar battle armor-Polished ruby-inlaid kelyn studs have been securely riveted into the thick ebon-hued leather. The scales of the armor flow together seamlessly like that of a dragon's coat of scales. Though well-maintained, it shows slight signs of wear. Some carefully mended tears and feint darkened blood stains are seen on few of the scales, indicating that the armor has indeed seen more than just a few battles. On the left breast is a prominent eight-point star masterfully embroidered in silver-hued veniom thread. You also notice a small enchanter's glyph.

The semi idea..is to remove the pentacle star thing..only because most dhe'nar..or the totally devout Tower Dhe'nar do not worship the Arkati..
Polished vaalin studs have been securely riveted into the thick ebon-hued leather. Allowing for optimum mobility, the leathers have been custom tailored to the curves of the wearer, provided a snug fit. Though well maintained, the armor shows slight signs of wear and tear. Variations in color, and shading on the scales of this armor suggest of recent repairs. Superimposing the silver eight-point star on the left breast is a frost wreathed golden ring, a small chain-bound heart encompassed within. You also notice a small enchanter's glyph.

Yup, so there are some things I am working on..I'm not so great with making things sound..exactly as I'd like them to look. Any thoughts, critiques or input is much appreciated.

Merji's Muse

Kierke
02-09-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm in full-on alteration mode right now, so forgive me if this isn't what you intended, but I tweaked the language on your designs a bit.

some sleek black Dhe'nar scale

The protective suit is dotted with polished vaalin studs. Though well mended, the black leather scaling shows signs of patching -- hue and shading vary from pauldron to greaves, some scales lighter, some darker. Tiny holes on the left breast suggest the outline of an eight-pointed star, but the marks are mostly obscured by the embroidery of a frost-wreathed golden ring inset with a small chain-bound heart.

She has purplish, shiny black hair that falls in gentle waves to the small of her back.

She has a pale, raised line of scarring along her stomach.

Merji
02-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Wow..I really love the ideas..and the tweaking was great..I loved what you did with the star..awesome! I do really like the scar alteration as well. For Merji's hair, I don't see it as purple..rather very black..it almost gives off that purple color..Not sure if I'm making sense or not.

Thanks very much for your input!

Kierke
02-09-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm having trouble designing a signet/crest for Sadryne's husband. (His player leaves me to these things, because he's smart.) Jzhensen is a human from Vornavis, and is a ranger. However, there is very little official documentation on the various human crests. I think I remember Vornavis being a swan, but is that right? It's loosely based on the elven formula for crests, to reflect his involvement in elvish matters with his wife.

This is what I have so far.

an enameled silver signet ring

A silver-rimmed face of green enamel inlaid with a swan naiant is set atop the polished band of the signet ring. A flourish of two sinuous silver vines flank the nacreous bird, which sits above a dormant black caracal.

It just doesn't seem enough. He doesn't have "parents" per se, in that there's no one to draw on for flanking devices, and I wasn't even sure if I should do flanking, considering he's human, and not elven.

I'm trying to pair it with Sadryne's proposed ring, which is this:

an enameled steel signet ring

A gold-rimmed face of sapphire enamel inlaid with a peacock pavonated is set atop the steel band of the signet ring. A flourish of nine stylized crimson flames crown the nacreous bird, which sits above a sanguine coda and black tree . A tiny annulet of acantha leaves is set left flanking, while the right flanking spot is conspicuously blank.

Thoughts? I've never designed anything that had so much overt symbology in it before, and it's driving me crazy.

Sadryne

DCSL
02-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Might have problems with "She has purplish, shiny black hair that falls in gentle waves to the small of her back." Some GMs will allow you to leave off the length field and some will not. I wish they all would, so that I could describe the length further on and still have it look right with the hair-altering jewelry. Alas.

The signet rings can be difficult, what with fitting all the details of a traditional elven crest into the 512 characters, but I see you've managed it quite well! I like your use of correct heraldic terms, even though few others will be able to understand them. And yes, I do believe one symbol of Vornavis is the swan.

Kierke
02-09-2006, 07:40 PM
For Merji's hair, I don't see it as purple..rather very black..it almost gives off that purple color..Not sure if I'm making sense or not.

You definitely make sense, it's just a hard thing to get into a written description. I used to dye my hair black, and then put a blue overlay on it. I know the same thing is often done with black and then a red to get a purplish effect. I'll keep thinking about it, there's definitely a doable description in there.

Sadryne

Merji
02-09-2006, 10:15 PM
I do really like the rings you've designed. I think each on is complete, and neither is overdone. Great use of the symbolism, and crests!

Merji's Muse

Stunseed
04-14-2006, 11:55 PM
I've got an axe I would like to get modified. Former base is :

a silver-edged deep black moon axe.

My ideas are the following :

A dual-bladed black toporok
A wickedly edged steel tabar

The shows would be dependant of the base I pick, obviously. I want to leave a mark on the finalized product, in this case, a impression of the Zrenigotham family crest on the steel cap butt at the base of said axe.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
04-15-2006, 03:40 AM
I'm designing armor.. for my little ranger and my cleric. As well as clothing. One of them is a Gosaena-worshipping human from Dragach, another is a Tehiri Cleric girl.

For the Ranger:

a feathered grey wings tattoo
Tattooed onto each shoulder blade is a single wing like that of a bird's, long and elegant. Each individual feather has been painstakingly inked with an array of pale greys and blacks, as well as a shimmering white which lends a faded look to them. The same muted greys and blacks link both wings in the center of her back and a pattern of grey slashes wind their way down her spine, white wisps wrapping the design like an ethereal shadow, before bending at her tailbone into a grey sickle.

a soulstone-set silvery ruic longbow
Crafted from richly grained, silver-lacquered ruic, the limbs of this longbow taper into elegant archs that are interrupted only by a simply wrapped black centaur leather grip. Double nocks carved from softly glowing soulstones are set into both limbs, a bowstring of pure white horsehair with silver threading strung between them.

a suit of slim embossed grey brigandine
Made from pieces of hardened, deep stormy grey centaur leather, this suit of flexible armor is riveted with dimly glowing, pure white zorchar from the legs all the way to the tall protective collar. Secured under the curvaceous scale mail is a heavily quilted, white silk gambeson stuffed with swan's down to provide comfort for the wearer. Heavily embossed into a section of the left breast scales is a stylized sickle, its handle formed from a thin sliver of soulstone inlaid into the leather.

Annnd for my Tehiri girl:
Stuff I need to make shows for still:
a midnight blue raw silk burnoose
a deeply-hooded pale raw silk burnoose
a delicate pale raw silk veil
a copper-beaded jade silk headscarf

Stuff that is all finished:
a cropped rich blue batiked silk bodice with a turqouise-beaded square neckline
a long layered turquoise blue silk wrap-skirt

an intricately-wrapped jade green silk dress beaded with copper along the hem
some copper asp armbands draping sheer silk sleeves

a series of intricate copper bracelets inlaid with jade
a set of thin copper bangles inset with turqouise

a suit of jade green crocodile leathers
This full body suit is crafted from well-polished and oiled jade green crocodile skin, the scales rough and bumpy. Secured under the suit is a thinly-quilted copper silk gambeson stuffed with eagle down, providing a layer of padding and protection. A series of thin crocodile skin straps with copper buckles serve to fetter the armor to its wearer.

Yeah it's a lot of stuff but I've got a lot of characters to play, heh!

100% Wool
04-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Can someone help me design a katar? I'm horrible with alters and I want this alter to be perfect and could use the assistance of some of you who are great with words/descriptions.

So far I'm totally unsure what the 15/15/15 is going to be but I would love some help with the LOOK description.
Here are some pictures I found on the web how I would like my katar to look.

The first picture is how I want the description of the blades to look

- three blades
- two extended outter blades
- 1 shorter one in the middle

In picture 2 and 3 show basically what appears to be an extended part of the handles that act like gauntlets/forearm guards for the katars

picture #1
http://www.ljplus.ru/img/1/0/10chiken/katar.jpg
picture #2
http://vagrant.cc/art/katar.jpg
picture #3
http://www.diabloii.net/screenshots/fan_art/050606anarki.jpg

Anyone have some time able to write me up something?

~Player of Barumples
~Jae

thornhappy
04-26-2006, 01:55 PM
I got the chance to have one of my designs made by Dirla last night, and finally had a dress made for my ranger with some color in it (besides grey). It's pinworn, dagger hiding.

An understated tea-green silk bliaut
Below the low, square neckline, a wide girdle of thrice-wrapped pewter chiffon contrasts pleasantly with the delicate shade of grey-green tea. Circled with slender silver bands around the upper arms, the trailing sleeves split in two at the elbow to reveal a silky lining of pastel peridot satin. The excess fabric flutters gracefully over the flared skirts of layered watered silk, tapering to a point near the sweeping floor-length hem.

Praefection
04-26-2006, 03:56 PM
That's really nice. :)

Nilandia
04-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Few items I've designed to try to get altered. The cloak is still in the process of being refined, and any suggestions on any are welcomed.

The first gown is based off of a gown I saw in an Armani perfume ad, of all things. Picture's at http://www.nilandia.com/armani.jpg (Not the best, but what I could get at the moment.) Thanks to Milque for helping with the wording.

a scaled raven silk gown ~ Glistening softly in the available light, a multitude of fine dark opalescent scales sheath the slender gown from low-cut neckline to trailing hem. Twin black velvet straps arch high across the deeply plunging open back, a polished onyx cabochon trailing a fan of delicate platinum chains when they meet.

The cloak is a design I'm coming up with for my feature hiding cloak, hence the line about anonymity.

a gold-traced crimson silk greatcloak ~ Fine threads of spun gold course over the deep scarlet silk, following a pattern reminiscent of a sunrise glistening from a wind-blown pool. Lining the garment from generous hood to trailing hem, soft onyx velvet wraps the wearer in comfort and anonymity.

This gem I based upon Indian jewelry I saw in one of my favorite movies. Picture from the movie can be found here http://www.webshopindia.fr/lagaan/images/gracy2.gif

a silver-set onyx forehead gem ~ Twining and coiling over itself, softly burnished silver forms a small rivulet designed to lie in the part of the hair when worn, secured by several hidden hairpins. Three slender chains anchor a finely polished onyx cabochon snared by swirling filigree, positioned to rest upon the wearer's forehead.

two coiling faenor anklets inlaid with sinuous rolaren rose vines

a backless cloth-of-eahnor gown ~ Soft gold threads interweave with the finely spun eahnor, tracing the gown's silhouette to pool at the skirts' hem as though the wearer was caught in a golden rain.

Gretchen

PurgingKerch
05-02-2006, 05:31 AM
Hmm. Does the same GM handle all the premium-point alteration requests? Could I , say, re-submit at a later time and hope a different GM gets it and approves it? I realize it's not a subtle alter, but the GM suggestion conveys an entirely different picture in my head. I also am aware that the base description doesn't quite fit the 15/15/15 rule, but I was hoping I could get away with it.

My request:

"a sturdy leather housebreaker's harness"

Crafted from thick black leather, the harness closely resembles those used by dwarven rock climbers. This one, however, seems to have been designed more for scaling multiple-story buildings than it has cliff-faces. Fastened to the straps are several metal rings through which rope might be strung, and a multitude of latches, loops, and hooks provide easily-accessible places from which to hang various implements of forced-entry. Secured across the back is a large leather pack, allowing ample space to stow whatever loot one might "find" during such an escapade.

GM's offer:

The finished item will be a sturdy leather tool pack.
When you LOOK at it or SHOW it, you will see: This unique pack harness is crafted from thick black leather and closely resembles those used by dwarven rock climbers. Fastened to the straps are several metal rings through which rope might be strung, and numerous latches, loops, and hooks provide easy access to various tools and implements, some of which look to be more oriented towards breaking-and-entering than rock climbing. Secured across the back is a large pack, allowing ample storage space for loot.
This alteration is priced at 0 silver, and will be drawn from the First Elanith Bank in Wehnimer's Landing.
This alteration will cost 600 premium points.

Feh! The show re-write is passable, but I'd at least like the word "harness" in the base description instead of "pack"... nobody uses a pack to climb mountains. Anyone have any suggestions for ways to re-word it to get a passable base description closer to what I was looking for?

B2
05-02-2006, 01:04 PM
There is no "getting away with" breaking the 15/15/15 rule. The fields literally don't go over 15 characters, you CAN'T slip something by without getting a typo (please see stalkin cloak or glowin crystal ball)

They also might be being dumb about turning a pack into a harness. Grab one of those veniom threaded harnesses and try again.

That being said, why not try something like...

a sturdy/looped leather/harness
a many-looped/sturdy leather/harness
a sturdy cross/strapped black/harness
a leather/cross-strapped/harness
a loop-laden/sturdy leather/harness

Becca2