PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcrafters Bring Out Their Dead.

J.E.B. Stuart
09-20-2005, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has posted about this yet. If someone has mentioned it in a previous thread, I apologize in advance.

Blizzard's latest patch for World of Warcraft had a rather unintended and unfortunate effect when it was implemented recently. One of the additions to the game under the patch was a new instance, Zul'Gurub, which contained a monster with a rather unusual ability: an attack called "Corrupted Blood" that infected players with a disease that knocked off a fairly high amount of HP every 2 seconds.

Now, this wouldn't be such a big deal, ordinarily - many of the game's monsters have a variety of devastating attacks - but what made this attack particularly troublesome is the fact that the infection caused by the Corrupted Blood could be spread to both other players and NPCs. Needless to say, such a plague was a disaster waiting to happen, and happen it did; all it takes is for one gamer to return to town while still infected for the plague to wreak havoc on a server's population.

Many of the game's servers have experienced such an unfortunate effect as of this writing, and play has become impossible by reason of the plague spreading rapidly across affected servers' towns. Corrupted Blood doesn't cause particular difficulty for high-level characters, but for the NPCs and lower-level characters, it poses a real problem, and most towns and cities in affected servers have become plague-ridden graveyards.

Blizzard GMs attempted to solve the problem by quarantining some infected players, but regrettably, malicious gamers have always been a problem on Battle.net, and so inevitably, some of the infected players escaped the quarantine and continued the cycle of infection.

At this time, there does not appear to be any information on the progress of the fight against this problem.

Jeb.

[Edited on 9-20-2005 by J.E.B. Stuart]

Sean of the Thread
09-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Is that for real? If so that fucking rocks and I would be griefing all of the carebear servers 12 monkeys style.

J.E.B. Stuart
09-20-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Xyelin
Is that for real? If so that fucking rocks and I would be griefing all of the carebear servers 12 monkeys style.

Uh-huh, it's for real!

I'm not sure how to post a picture, so I'll attach it.

Jeb.

Trouble
09-20-2005, 03:31 PM
No way! I wonder when it will happen on Dunemaul...

That's something that Fooke would do, he can be a turdball sometimes. I think he's too young to get into ZG though.

J.E.B. Stuart
09-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Trouble
No way! I wonder when it will happen on Dunemaul...

That's something that Fooke would do, he can be a turdball sometimes. I think he's too young to get into ZG though.

Here's a rather amusing link: http://wowaids.ytmnd.com/

It seems people are calling it 'AIDS', hee. I haven't seen this problem on Lothar yet, but I heard someone talking about it running rampant on their server.

I read that Blizzard actually gave disease-curing abilities to player classes and they can stop it from spreading.

Jeb.

Sean of the Thread
09-20-2005, 04:03 PM
Reminds me of ebola virus not aids.

hectomaner
09-20-2005, 04:11 PM
reminds me of what happens when idiots can't play WoW right.

hasn't happened on Gilneas, and i dont think it will

Shari
09-20-2005, 04:56 PM
ROFL

Artha
09-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Hasn't happened on AD either. If I got it, though, I think I'd head straight to Goldshire.

Gan
09-20-2005, 09:33 PM
This would be so sweet in Gemstone. I'd be typhoid mary and head for a whirlwind tour of Teras, Rivers Rest, IceMule, Vaalor, Solhaven, and the Landing.

Imagine the real world implications... Its like the Stand all over again. Do they have corn fields in WoW?

Sean of the Thread
09-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Yes they have a few corn fields actually.

Wezas
09-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Ganalon
This would be so sweet in Gemstone. I'd be typhoid mary and head for a whirlwind tour of Teras, Rivers Rest, IceMule, Vaalor, Solhaven, and the Landing.

There was the dwarf rot not that long ago. That was amusing to see everyone oozing all over the place.

weasel82
09-21-2005, 12:18 PM
LMAO...this is great! You'd think if it'd spread that quickly, that it'd kill off all the people who got it quickly and just wipe out everyone on the server and that would be the end of it until someone goes and attacks this creature again.

Any word on whether they've updated the patch or something?

Gan
09-21-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Wezas

Originally posted by Ganalon

There was the dwarf rot not that long ago. That was amusing to see everyone oozing all over the place.

Yea the dwarf rot was cool, but very slow acting and limited in scope.

I say a mass epidemic would be great. Panic, bedlam, anarchy, oh wait... that already happens in the landing without a disease.

Showal
09-22-2005, 01:00 PM
Did anyone figure out definitively how the dwarf rot was spread?

Jayvn
09-22-2005, 04:01 PM
through badly rp'd cyber