PDA

View Full Version : 200 Billion Katrina Slush Fund.

Seran
09-16-2005, 09:10 PM
200 BILLION dollars to fund the repair of the affected areas, give money to folks to help offset the costs of living adjustments.

My god, has anyone else looked at that figure and said wtf? A dollar amount, equal to a hefty percentage of the entire nations annual budget is being thrown at 'relief' efforts for those affected by Katrina, thats absolutely insane.

Let us set aside the significant portion of business owners who have insurance to cover their lossons. Let us also set aside those home owners smart enough to have the appropriate flood insurance on their home, and those renters who have it for their possessions... Where exactly is this astronomical amount of money going?

Repair, and maintenance of municipal buildings, roadways, and bridges? The estimated cost of said repairs doesn't even put a scratch in that figure.

A 5,000 stipend for every resident of NO? Thats roughly 12.5B if you figure the affected population at 2.5M. Keep in mind 5k is equal to 2-3 months wages to the majority of those people.

So where exactly is the money going, other than to grease the palms of large numbers of contractors and influential people who'll be charging outrageous fees, and consulting costs for repairs. This is an example of corruption at it's worst, yet who will put a stop to it? No one.

Jazuela
09-16-2005, 09:43 PM
It isn't just repair and maintenence. It's clearing the destruction, importing materials from other states/other countries (depending on what's needed where), and rebuilding around 60% of the entire city from scratch. It's (hopefully) raising the ground level of the lowest portions of the city to sea level or above, which will require thousands of TONS of dirt and/or sand and/or other kinds of fill.

People who -did- have flood insurance were only insured for a limited amount, and that covers *only* the part of the home damaged by floods specifically. It doesn't cover damage from the wind, or looting, or having to poke a hole through the roof to escape. Homeowner's insurance doesn't cover the entire value of the house, and doesn't cover the furniture or appliances or clothing (except furs and computers and jewelry and only if you have a rider for those items) that is limited as well.

So even people who were insured won't get enough to cover the cost of building themselves a new home. Some of those homes were rather pricey - in excess of a million bucks each. Many were in excess of half a mil. Hundreds over 250k. Then you have thousands upon thousands of houses which weren't insured at all, because they were owned by poor people. Sucks to be them, sure, but do YOU want them to live as homeless people in YOUR neighborhood? I know I wouldn't. Let them move back to new houses, if that's what they really want to do.

The bridges don't need to be repaired. They need to be replaced. The levee system needs to be redesigned and rebuilt. Then you've got all those transformers that have to be replaced. And you have to actually pay people to do all this work. And you have to accommodate all the people who are waiting for the work to be done, so they're not living in the streets.

I'm sure there's a ton more to it than just that - but that's a good example of the tip of the iceburg.

If you really feel all it'll take is repair and maintenence of a few roads and bridges, I'll take out a loan and give you the money to do it. I'll expect to see everyone who wants to return to the city, back in liveable houses, before Mardi Gras of this coming year.

Best get to it, the clock's tickin.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-27-2020, 07:24 PM
200 BILLION dollars to fund the repair of the affected areas, give money to folks to help offset the costs of living adjustments.

My god, has anyone else looked at that figure and said wtf? A dollar amount, equal to a hefty percentage of the entire nations annual budget is being thrown at 'relief' efforts for those affected by Katrina, thats absolutely insane.

Let us set aside the significant portion of business owners who have insurance to cover their lossons. Let us also set aside those home owners smart enough to have the appropriate flood insurance on their home, and those renters who have it for their possessions... Where exactly is this astronomical amount of money going?

Repair, and maintenance of municipal buildings, roadways, and bridges? The estimated cost of said repairs doesn't even put a scratch in that figure.

A 5,000 stipend for every resident of NO? Thats roughly 12.5B if you figure the affected population at 2.5M. Keep in mind 5k is equal to 2-3 months wages to the majority of those people.

So where exactly is the money going, other than to grease the palms of large numbers of contractors and influential people who'll be charging outrageous fees, and consulting costs for repairs. This is an example of corruption at it's worst, yet who will put a stop to it? No one.

Proof Seran is racist and hates black people.

Tgo01
01-27-2020, 09:47 PM
I guess all this time Seran was just projecting his worst qualities on Trump and Republicans. It all makes so much sense now.

Methais
01-28-2020, 10:59 AM
Fun fact: These threads are when Back was still Backlash, before his meltdown where he burned through 487320942 usernames and settled on Chillmonster, which he now denies because he's a retard.

Tgo01
01-29-2020, 01:53 AM
I'm gonna make this the new political laugh thread so it never goes away so Seran can be reminded of his racism.

Media: OMG! A Democrat has a shot at winning the special election in Texas! If a Democrat wins it means Orange Man is done for!
The Republican wins by 16 points.
Media: So?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/first-vote-2020-ends-tuesday-texas-n1124266

Also LOL at Beto going door to door to campaign for a state representative and the Democrat still loses.

~Rocktar~
01-29-2020, 10:03 PM
Remember, Beta couldn't even win his own state for Senate and yet somehow thought he was a positive influence for someone else in Texas?

Tgo01
01-29-2020, 10:08 PM
Remember, Beta couldn't even win his own state for Senate and yet somehow thought he was a positive influence for someone else in Texas?

I really wonder when Democrats are going to start asking Beto to stay at home instead of "helping" them with their campaign.

I also wonder what's next for Beto? Going from a sure thing at beating Ted Cruz for US Senator only to lose, then going to running for president only having to be one of the first ones to drop out, to literally knocking on doors for a state level representative and the Democrat he was campaigning for losing so badly.

Maybe next he'll be handing out flyers for a Democrat running in a local school board position.

Gelston
01-30-2020, 01:49 PM
I really wonder when Democrats are going to start asking Beto to stay at home instead of "helping" them with their campaign.

I also wonder what's next for Beto? Going from a sure thing at beating Ted Cruz for US Senator only to lose, then going to running for president only having to be one of the first ones to drop out, to literally knocking on doors for a state level representative and the Democrat he was campaigning for losing so badly.

Maybe next he'll be handing out flyers for a Democrat running in a local school board position.

He raised a lot of money when he ran against Cruz. The money was mostly from out of the state though. I think he felt he could get people to donate to the guy he was helping, not realizing all the money he raised was because the out of state people wanted Cruz out and not because they gave a fuck about Beto.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-30-2020, 01:53 PM
Beto committed political suicide when he said he was coming for your guns.

Gelston
01-30-2020, 01:55 PM
Beto committed political suicide when he said he was coming for your guns.

He was only ever relevant because he was running against Ted Cruz. No one really ever liked him, personally.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-30-2020, 01:56 PM
He was only ever relevant because he was running against Ted Cruz. No one really ever liked him, personally.

That as well. But coming for guns in Texas put and end to any future politics for him.

Gelston
01-30-2020, 02:04 PM
That as well. But coming for guns in Texas put and end to any future politics for him.

Nah, Texas has a lot of liberal areas. Austin, Dallas, Houston, El Paso (Where Beto represented out of) are all blue. Luckily the suburbs and the rural areas outside those cities are not blue or the whole state would flip.