PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo's new controller

Numbers
09-16-2005, 02:38 PM
I don't know what the hell they're thinking. This is the controller where you'll supposedly be able to play Nintendo's entire library of games, from the NES to the SNES to the N64 to the GameCube. The Revolution may end up being the first Nintendo home console I don't buy.

Numbers
09-16-2005, 02:41 PM
By the way, here's an article giving some details, from IGN:

September 15, 2005 - Nintendo on Thursday unveiled the formerly top-secret controller mechanism for its next-generation console, codenamed Revolution. The device bucks the conventions of previous controllers in favor of an entirely new interface -- one that's destined to for good or bad separate the Big N from its competitors once and for all. Personally, we think this thing has a lot of potential and we can't wait to see what Nintendo does with it.

Naturally, the big question on everybody's mind is, what exactly makes the Revolution controller so unique? Here's the answer. Revolution's controller is a slick, cleanly designed device that looks like a cross between a futuristic remote control and an Apple iPod. The unit is held in one hand. It interacts with included motion sensors (which are placed on the left and right sides of televisions) to become a virtual conductor, of sorts. It detects motions, angles, directions and depths in a realistic manner, offering more freedom and precision in games than ever before. Imagine sticking your hand in a 3D box and being able to input all of your movement in games and you've got the basic idea. The bottom of the controller features an expansion slot, by which a number of add-ons are possible. Nintendo demonstrated an analog stick, held the opposite hand, which is sure to help maker first-person shooters more intuitive than they have ever been before on any home console.

Features at a glance:

* Remote control design: constructed to appeal to a wide variety of potential players
* 3D Pointing: Sensors understand up, down, left, right, forward and backward.
* Tilt Sensitive: Controller can be rotated or rolled from side-to-side.
* Buttons Included: Has a trigger on its backside, face buttons, and a D-Pad.
* Multifunctional: Has an expansion port which can be used with different types of controller peripherals. Analog stick with two trigger buttons planned for left hand.
* Wireless: Totally wire-free. Currently there are no details on the max distance, source or power, or otherwise.
* Rumble Built-in. Included standard in all the controllers.

Wezas
09-16-2005, 02:42 PM
If you turn it sideways it kind of looks like the original NES controller. The seperate mouse thing is weird though. Don't think I could get used to the button locations.

But then again I get frustrated when I try to use an Xbox controller after playing PS2 for so long.

Numbers
09-16-2005, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I noticed that sideways thing for the NES games. But what about for the SNES, with the four buttons and the two shoulder buttons? Or N64 and GameCube, which has even more buttons?

And I honestly don't think many 3rd party developers are gonna want to bother porting their games to the Revolution and its "innovative" controller when their games are already programmed to work with the PS3 and XB360 traditional controllers.

Wezas
09-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Yeah, the new suggested PS3 "Boomerang" controller looks odd, but it's sticking to it's roots. (can't post a pic, webpwned)

Atlanteax
09-16-2005, 02:54 PM
That has to be one of the worst designed game console controllers I've ever seen...

Apparently the engineers who develop it are not "hard core" players of console games.

What they need to do is set up some review group sessions with players, who will predictably insult the poor usability of the controller, sending the design-team (that barely keeps their job) back to the drawing board.

The original Nintendo control is better than that!!!

The Ponzzz
09-16-2005, 03:13 PM
The Nintendo console isn't even on the drawing boards till late 2006 according to EGM. It might not even come out and go Software only like Sega too...

It's sad, i was really looking forward to playing some old games this X mas without having to pull out the old systems...

Wezas
09-16-2005, 03:20 PM
That's what ROMs are for.

Detri
09-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Wezas
That's what ROMs are for.

Pwned! :lol:

The Ponzzz
09-16-2005, 03:53 PM
I can never find what i want, and I hate the controls...

Terminator X
09-16-2005, 05:03 PM
There is no way I could retrain my brain to start becoming keen to even the slightest degree to use that monstrosity by deviating from my long, hard years of past controller experience and become accommodated for that abomination :wow:

Bobmuhthol
09-17-2005, 02:08 AM
<<and I hate the controls...>>

You hate the controls of a PSX-styled controller?!?!?!?

Anyone who actually plays ROMs with a keyboard is pitiful.

Drew
09-17-2005, 02:12 AM
Very odd. Knowing Nintendo there will be 5 games on the system that are killer and then everything else will be subpar.

Apotheosis
09-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Nintendo = pwn3d

The Ponzzz
09-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol

Isn't that the point of ROMs? NOT to spend money to play the games that are sittin in my closet? Why spend the cash for the controller when I can just plug the fucking system in....

Artha
09-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Very odd. Knowing Nintendo there will be 5 games on the system that are killer and then everything else will be pokemon.

Fixed for you ;)

Numbers
09-17-2005, 05:02 PM
After thinking about it, I think the controller might be halfway decent. Especially things for like first person shooters. Use the controller as a light gun, ala Duck Hunt.

I'm sure that every game Nintendo makes for the system will be awesome. I just don't think 3rd parties will jump on board. I just can't imagine playing a game like God of War or Soul Calibur or Burnout 3 with a controller like that.

Ah well. Chances are if the controller's not successful, Nintendo will find a way to make a halfway normal controller that 3rd parties would be more willing to work with.

Artha
09-17-2005, 05:07 PM
The controller is either absolutely brilliant or completely horrible. I'm leaning more towards the second, though, simply because it doesn't seem like it'd be easy to maneuver and do things at the same time.

Bobmuhthol
09-17-2005, 05:08 PM
<<Isn't that the point of ROMs? NOT to spend money to play the games that are sittin in my closet? Why spend the cash for the controller when I can just plug the fucking system in....>>

As a gamer, you should own a gaming controller anyway. This is especially true if you have PC sports games -- without a controller, you fail.

Detri
09-17-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by The Ponzzz

Originally posted by Bobmuhthol

Isn't that the point of ROMs? NOT to spend money to play the games that are sittin in my closet? Why spend the cash for the controller when I can just plug the fucking system in....

What the fuck are you talking about? Do you have every game for every system or something? If not, you're saving money by getting a controller + the ROMS... NOT TO MENTION!!!! HQ4X filtering, shading, blurring, making games look better than originally intended -- your opinion is horrifically FLAWED.

:no:

Numbers
09-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Speaking of ROM's.

Can somebody recommend a good USB gamepad that's not stupid expensive?

Bobmuhthol
09-17-2005, 09:33 PM
I use a Gamepad Pro that cost like $15.

Back
09-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Atlanteax
That has to be one of the worst designed game console controllers I've ever seen...

Apparently the engineers who develop it are not "hard core" players of console games.

What they need to do is set up some review group sessions with players, who will predictably insult the poor usability of the controller, sending the design-team (that barely keeps their job) back to the drawing board.

The original Nintendo control is better than that!!!

You know, its amazing how you definitively know things without any shred of experience, evidence or forethought.

I have to wonder if you are really conscious when you post. You don’t think a company like Nintendo did not test this product extensively? Do you really think people who don’t use Nintendo products work at Nintendo? Have you tried it?

kelood
09-19-2005, 03:08 AM
You know, its amazing how you definitively know things without any shred of experience, evidence or forethought.

I have to wonder if you are really conscious when you post. You don’t think a company like Nintendo did not test this product extensively? Do you really think people who don’t use Nintendo products work at Nintendo? Have you tried it?

Ever played Madden on a gamecube controller?

Trust me, it sucks -- but not half as bad as playing madden on a universal remote with 5 buttons (i would imagine), which is exactly what this new controller looks like.

I don't put too much stake in the forethought of big companies, especially one who decided to use a cartridge when everyone and their grandma knew CD's were the business-- or decided to use baby cd's that looked cute but couldn't store half the data of competing systems...

I might be wrong (rare as that occasion is...), it might be the best thing since Final Fantasy Tactics-- I can't say for sure.

All I can go by is the info presented, and by that info-- it looks horrible.

'lood
"Donny, you're out of your element"

peam
09-19-2005, 03:17 AM
I am the walrus?

Detri
09-19-2005, 03:28 AM
Have people misread the article and not realized that this is merely the center piece of a controller? There's going to be a shell that it 'docks' in.

Settle the fuck down, you act as if Nintendo is committing a crime for doing something different.

:loser:

Shari
09-19-2005, 03:48 AM
Heh, someone needs to remind me tomorrow morning to post a picture of a t-shirt I have that is perfect for this thread.

Numbers
09-19-2005, 10:27 PM
This explains a lot. I think I can say that I'm excited about the possibilities of the new controller. The image shown is a mockup, but it gives an idea of how the controller will work when the remote control setup won't. This will probably also attract a lot of 3rd party devs.

Q: What does the conventional controller cradle/shell do?

A: This add-on makes it possible to play Revolution games in a more traditional manner. The shell is designed to look and function like accepted "regular" controllers, such as the Wave Bird. After its bottom casing is removed, the Revolution's free-hand-style remote is inserted into a gap in the middle of the controller shell. Gamers can then use the shell as they would a traditional controller, with a notable difference: the pointer remote's sensory functionality remains active. As a result, gamers get the best of both worlds: more buttons and two analog sticks along with motion-sensing operations. In a Revolution version of Madden Football, gamers might be able to use the combo to control players with the shell's analog sticks and execute pinpoint passes with the pointer's improved accuracy.

Oh yeah. Jesae, post that pic.

[Edited on 9-20-2005 by 3704558]

[Edited on 9-20-2005 by 3704558]

Artha
09-19-2005, 10:44 PM
That is much better. It'll make pokemon games so much cooler!

iomelindi
09-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Umm.

No. I don't think I like this controller!

Terminator X
09-21-2005, 03:48 AM
I got a Super Nintendo acsii pad for my 11th birthday, I think.

It was fly.

Oh yeah, that flyswatter game for Mario Paint was the shits, bra'.

Odups
09-21-2005, 08:30 AM
OMFGWTFBBQ! Mario Paint! Flyswatter!

<faints>