PDA

View Full Version : A thank you to Texas.

Skirmisher
09-10-2005, 03:52 PM
I find myself moved to give thanks to the government and the great people of the state of Texas for the incredible response they have given forth in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

The numbers I have read put the number of Katrina refugees at over a quarter of a million so far. That is just a staggering number of people to have suddenly in your midst in need of pretty much everything that can be thought of.

I am hoping that a decent percentage of the federal funds being appropriated for relief aid will find its way to Texas as this must be placing a very heavy strain on it's own resources.

I may take issue with the states most famous citizen, but the people of Texas have my thanks and admiration for showing the nation and the world how the US can and should respond when our neighbor is in need.

Detri
09-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Texas owns! :yes:

Parkbandit
09-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Skirmisher

I may take issue with the states most famous citizen, but ...

And here I thought you might actually be able to post in a political thread without the Bush bash.. tsk tsk.

Warriorbird
09-10-2005, 04:20 PM
And here I thought you could post without attacking someone... and take her thanks for what it is. Everybody must lovezor Bush! Despite his 39% approval rating!

[Edited on 9-10-2005 by Warriorbird]

Skirmisher
09-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

And here I thought you might actually be able to post in a political thread without the Bush bash.. tsk tsk.

I thought you and I could agree to disagree on politics and still be cordial.

If I at some point insulted you personally I apologize as it was truly unintentional.

Keller
09-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Agreed.

Somewhere a baby Jesus is smiling after how Texas has reacted to "the least of these." It makes me proud to be an American.

Gan
09-10-2005, 04:36 PM
I'm glad we had the opportunity to help out. We've got the space, and the willing people.

The attitude from all of the evacuees that I've met while volunteering have been gracious and thankful. They really have been through a lot. I dont think I'll ever forget the look of defeat that I've seen in face after face. What will be interesting will be to see how many of the evacuees move back. I've heard several say that other than going back for posessions, they do not plan on living there anymore. That might change over time though.

Toxicvixen
09-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Texans have always been considered a nice lot and now they are proving it when its needed the most. Go Texas! :)

ElanthianSiren
09-10-2005, 05:04 PM
I am very proud of everyone who has helped out, from people who did phone drives like SHM, to people who volunteered to give time and relief skills, like Showal, those city governments offering to house evacuees, and those who have funded the Red Cross' and NSAL efforts. :cheers:

:bashing: Bush :shrug:
I'm sure if a Dem was office, the same ones who would take offense to Skirm's issue with its most famous citizen would be the ones bashing.

-This active emoticons post brough to you by the letter M