PDA

View Full Version : New enchanting system

Kriterian
09-09-2005, 06:37 PM
I just had a quick question. I've never had a wizard but I knew how the old process worked.

Recently, a friend and myself returned to the game and I started trying new character types. I was considering playing a wizard and found a site explaining the enchanting procedures. It seemed to have changed completely.

Enchants only went to 7x but no longer required mana. It looked like all you did was pour, cast, wait and repeat. The limiting factor being the time required to wait could be quite long. I thought, "Hmm, that seems easier, maybe I'll give it a shot..."

However, the other day in game I hear some one mention infusing again so I thought maybe the guide I read was wrong and/or outdated.

Is it true you just pour, cast, wait without infusing mana or is the mana portion still required?

Kitsun
09-09-2005, 07:42 PM
No need to infuse mana.

The number of times you pour/cast is equal to the enchant number you're working the item up to though.

Kriterian
09-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Kitsun
No need to infuse mana.

The number of times you pour/cast is equal to the enchant number you're working the item up to though.

Great news, and thanks for answering.

I guess that's why people jump all over 10x stuff now because it can't be made any more?

Kitsun
09-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Yeah, pretty much.

GSLady17
09-10-2005, 08:30 AM
I'm sure potions will be made to make something 10x within the next year.

TheRoseLady
09-10-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by GSLady17

What makes you so sure? They haven't released anything AT ALL since the change to enchanting. I seriously doubt that we'll see it anytime soon, if ever.

StrayRogue
09-10-2005, 09:26 AM
It is unlikely they'll ever release potions above 7x. The Premium system and merchant enchanting is the only way, I'm going to say, that you'll be able to enchant above the current cap.

Gan
09-10-2005, 09:45 AM
The only other limiting factor is the pour result which determines success or failure and the actual cast. This is based on the level of enchant you're working on and the number of wizard spell ranks you have, and over encumbrance (race is a huge factor if you choose a halfling and decide to enchant).

There has been many discussions on potions, encumbrance, stats and magical training with regards to enchanting here on the PC. Do a search in the wizard folder for enchanting and it will pull up some of that info.

I have not heard any news regarding the ability to enchant past 7x in my circles either.

ElanthianSiren
09-10-2005, 10:04 AM
I've heard that having your familiar present, as well as not being in the presence of non-wizards is a factor too, though I can't confirm that, just what I've heard.

-M

Kitsun
09-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by ElanthianSiren
I've heard that having your familiar present, as well as not being in the presence of non-wizards is a factor too, though I can't confirm that, just what I've heard.

-M

Yeah, GM Kitrina put together that enchanting document that listed all the factors. Those were in there.

Stunseed
09-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by GSLady17

I wouldn't count on that.

I DO believe at one of the upcoming merchants, you may see a new potion that's raffled/auctioned off to do 8x. I'd say 10 of them will be released, and Tsin will acquire 7 of them.

Gan
09-10-2005, 12:54 PM
casting/pouring in a guild workshop works the best, and if you're working on 5x or higher, its always good to have a familiar present.

Askip
09-11-2005, 07:06 AM
BTW,

<< the other day in game I hear some one mention infusing again >>

That was probably in reference to Scroll Infusion, a newish sorcerer spell.

<< Is it true you just pour, cast, wait >>

It's pour, wait, cast.

<< GM Kitrina put together that enchanting document >>

Which is here:

http://www.play.net/gs4/info/enchant_notes.asp

:D

Janarth
09-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Ganalon
(race is a huge factor if you choose a halfling and decide to enchant).

Now where did you get that idea!? hehe
And we're definitely square if anything, just giving you a hard time.

As a halfling enchanter, and as any enchanting wizard, encumbrance really plays a big role, I feel like almost as big as 900s ranks. I know people will jump all over me, but I have never failed a 5x. Forget I have 50k in coin on me...catastrophic failure. When I enchant, I always 405 the item, make sure I have the correct item and its tempered (not temperING), check my encumbrance, make sure I have strength up and familiar present, cast haste, then cross my fingers and 925.

Earth aligned halfling mages can carry a good amount :)

Askip
09-12-2005, 05:27 PM
<< encumbrance really plays a big role >>

Very true. Also, keep in mind there are varying degrees of "unencumbered". Five or ten pounds will not change the result of the ENCUMB verb, but it certainly changes the results of the temper pour. I play it safe and assume it also effects the cast, so I do all my major projects nekkid.

Janarth
10-02-2005, 11:37 PM
So, a question. Wondering how far I can go, have a bunch of 5xs under my belt. What do you think a 50th train wizard, with 50 900s ranks and 30ish 500s ranks, 1x in share, 2x in miu and 1x in AS can enchant up to?

What about the same wizard, 20 trains younger?

Someone mind posting their experience?

Axhinde
10-03-2005, 12:11 AM
At 50, with those skills, you'd be pushing bare minimum for a 7x I'd bet. You'd have to make sure you were unencumbered as possible, in a workshop with your pet, with nobody there. But you, technically, should be able to do a 7x. If you try and fail, it's not my fault.

Askip
10-03-2005, 09:14 AM
<< with nobody there >>

I do not believe having other mages present (for mana, to hold stuff, etc) is a problem, the doc for failure factors reads:

"Having non-Wizards present".

Stunseed
10-03-2005, 09:37 AM
< At 50, with those skills, you'd be pushing bare minimum for a 7x I'd bet. >

Your bet would be correct.

< But you, technically, should be able to do a 7x. >

Correct again. My mage has done two 7x enchants with about the same skills, a bit more secondary skills, but the major ones are mirror image.

AnticorRifling
10-03-2005, 09:37 AM
I do all my enchanting wearing just a kilt and a smile.

Stunseed
10-03-2005, 09:38 AM
< I do all my enchanting wearing just a kilt and a smile. >

That was my line before Anticor got wet dreams about enchanting.

AnticorRifling
10-03-2005, 09:43 AM
Whatever, you'll never look as good in a kilt as me.

Jolena
10-03-2005, 09:45 AM
I disagree.. :whistle:

TheEschaton
10-03-2005, 09:50 AM
And, if you wanted to do an 8x (or 9x, 10x) enchantment, you'd need 8, 9, or 10 pours of that potion, provided you don't fail a cast, which is, what, 2 bottles of potion (5 pours apiece?). And double it if you want to do large items, like armor. That potion would be at a REAL premium.

-TheE-

Janarth
10-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Are people using dirtokh for 4-5x pours? I've been using mirtokh to take all my 4x to 5x, but I recently heard people were using dirtokh. Am I spending an extra 30k per potion for nothing?

EDIT pure != per

[Edited on 10-3-2005 by Janarth]

Axhinde
10-03-2005, 02:32 PM
I was just using sisfu potions.