PDA

View Full Version : wtf names? (long psinet log)

Doughboy
09-05-2005, 07:56 PM
>find cool
Brave Adventurer Questing:

Coolpally

>report Cmon you guys..I know theres a big event right now. But Coolpally needs to get changed
REPORT should only be used to notify the GemStone IV staff of emergency situations or gamewide technical errors. Please use ASSIST for general support.

SEND[Jharra] Thanks for alerting us to your concern. I don't feel that Coolpally is technically in violation of the naming regulations, though I agree that it isn't precisely what we would hope for in genre.

>report Jharra...for lack of a more polite set of words... You have got to be shitting me
REPORT should only be used to notify the GemStone IV staff of emergency situations or gamewide technical errors. Please use ASSIST for general support.

SEND[Jharra] I'm conferring with the other GMs about it. Whatever decision we make will be a consensus.

>report Well I hope you do make the right decision about that one. As far as I knew...putting two words into one to make a name was against it...and as far as everybody is concerned thats talking about it... cool is slightly out of genre aint it?
>

And now a nice unedited log from psinet on that topic:

[OOC]-Geburah: "Anyone report him yet? lol."
[OOC]-You: "just did"
[OOC]-Geburah: "Brave Adventurer Questing:"
[OOC]-Geburah: "Drizzitdurden"
[OOC]-Tylsar: "Must've been named by a doo-dad"
[OOC]-You: " SEND[Jharra] Thanks for alerting us to your concern. I don't feel that Coolpally is technically in violation of the naming regulations, though I agree that it isn't precisely what we would hope for in genre."
[OOC]-Anathemus: "Jharra. Please quit."
[OOC]-Jesae: "W.T.F."
[OOC]-Anathemus: "COOLPALLY????"
[OOC]-You: ">report Jharra...for lack of a more polite set of words... You have got to be shitting me"
[OOC]-Jesae: "You've got to be fucking kidding me."
[OOC]-Geburah: "Huh, the term "cool" isn't out of genre, and "cool" "pally" isn't a compoound word?"
[OOC]-Geburah: "nice"
[OOC]-Anathemus: "You can pick up the longswords until the liches die."
[OOC]-Gone: "lets all report about it right now"
[OOC]-Draacon: "this game is funny that way"
[OOC]-Gone: "it will work"
[OOC]-Anarquendi: "No, I just dragged one around."
[OOC]-Gigantuous: "lol Biscuits"
[OOC]-You: "Everybody report that"
[OOC]-Seagrave: "Kinda ... died earlier"
[OOC]-Anarquendi: "Nevermind, there it goes."
[OOC]-You: "SEND[Jharra] I'm conferring with the other GMs about it. Whatever decision we make will be a consensus."
[OOC]-Draacon: "I got in trouble for killing someone who was yelling that my wife was an easy slut"
[OOC]-Tylsar: "You are now level 40!"
[OOC]-Seagrave: "draacon as opposed to a difficult slut?"
[OOC]-Tylsar: "Everyone congratulate me, I've been trying to reach level 40 for a decade now"
[OOC]-Jesae: "Isn't it against the rules to create a name now using two words together, Like "cool" and "pally"?"
[OOC]-Draacon: "precisely"
[OOC]-Seagrave: "isnt a slut by example easy?"
[OOC]-Geburah: "Congrats"
[OOC]-Draacon: "one would assume so"
[OOC]-Gigantuous: "wtg Tyl"
[OOC]-Geburah: "That's what I just said Jesae, yeah"
[OOC]-Draacon: "but he must have wanted to really make a point"
[Turinrond (faint)]: "It appears clear but for the statues, within town, at least."
[OOC]-Gone: "SEND[Jharra] Thank you for alerting us with your concern."
[OOC]-Tylsar: "Course it doesn't help I lost my soul to the demonic when I was level 35 last time..."
[OOC]-You: ">report Well I hope you do make the right decision about that one. As far as I knew...putting two words into one to make a name was against it...and as far as everybody is concerned thats talking about it... cool is slightly out of genre aint it?"
[OOC]-Tylsar: "oh well"
[OOC]-Blueland: "aww Gone is concerned.."
[OOC]-Seagrave: "99990 is to much for 1 murder"
[OOC]-You: "I hope I piss her off"
[OOC]-Geburah: "I've also been trying for a decade to make a character to level 40 for a decade... 10 levels off!"
[OOC]-Tylsar: "Just going to piss them off now"
[OOC]-Gone: "i'm not concerned, i'm disgusted"
[OOC]-Geburah: "Bisco, you have that talent, I guaruntee!"
[OOC]-Tylsar: "Keep going"
[OOC]-You: "I wanna fuckin see her send me to a senior GM for that."
[OOC]-You: "Coolpally not against policy my ass"
[OOC]-Callah: "well we could create an army of coolywizzie, coolranger, coolybardie, coolyempathie"
[OOC]-You: "rofl"
[OOC]-Geburah: "and COOLIO!"
[OOC]-Geburah: "wheee"
[OOC]-Gigantuous: "haha"
[OOC]-Seagrave: "lol"
[OOC]-Draacon: "its ok just make a character named flypally and use coolpally as a base for your argument"
[OOC]-Sekkar: "othercoolpally"
[OOC]-Sidrik: "Pimppally"
[OOC]-Draacon: "coolerpally"
[OOC]-Geburah: "I'll make Wizzysnap"
[OOC]-Gone: "coolestpallyofthemall"
[OOC]-You: "I think that last report gave her the stfu...cause she aint responding now"
[OOC]-Jesae: "Pimppally, lol"
[OOC]-Gigantuous: "lol"
[OOC]-Seagrave: "BiscoRangerAwesomeness"
[OOC]-Draacon: "haha"
[OOC]-Callah: "I feel a call to action"
[OOC]-You: "Also here: Gsstooktoolong"
[OOC]-Sidrik: "rofl"
[OOC]-You: "He's a gnome...that's a gnome name aint it?"
[OOC]-You: "... idiot GM's"

.breakgs

Detri
09-05-2005, 07:59 PM
I like how you all are having a coronary over it.

Seriously, get over it. :socool:

Axhinde
09-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Hahaha, I'm making Hughgrection right this minute, just to see.

Axhinde
09-05-2005, 08:07 PM

Your name is considered to be offensive or in poor taste. Please choose a more appropriate name.

Hughgrection, you have been moved to another room so that you can pick an appropriate name for your character. Your character information and inventory has been saved. Once you have renamed your character to a more appropriate name, you will be returned to the game with your character and inventory intact. To proceed, type RENAME and follow the instructions you are given.

Damn. They caught that one.

Celephais
09-05-2005, 08:08 PM
I do think it's funny that "Gone" is concerned, like his name is so great. Not that I'm preaching, I just made Limeatar (not that I plan on keeping him, I just wanted to put the lime hat on him and eat a lime tart.

Warriorbird
09-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Yeah. I mean... everybody names their kid Gone.

On some level I wish that names like Darckwizard were illegal, but they aren't. They haven't been for a long time. Heck, I even broke down and named my one female PC Violetfeather. I didn't think it was particularly OOC.

Cool theoretically has other meanings too, though it's just as stupid meaning " Somewhat Cold friend" it doesn't violate anything like Axhinde's one.

Axhinde
09-05-2005, 09:09 PM
I fail to see how mine was a violation? [/sarcasm]

Warriorbird
09-05-2005, 09:10 PM
:snickers: I'm sure everybody fails to see... but I heard there's these miracle pills on the Internet these days.

The Ponzzz
09-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Perfect time to make one and die in the invasion... Haha!

4a6c1
09-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Kookooforkokopuf was allowed.

Not that I would know anything about that... :whistle:

Terminator X
09-05-2005, 11:36 PM
<<Axhinde's Post>>

Baha! :lol:

- The Termite

[Edited on 9-6-2005 by Terminator X]

Kainen
09-05-2005, 11:46 PM
Ok I think I need CoolSorcerer now :D

Celephais
09-05-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Terminator X
<<Axhinde's Post>>

Baha! :lol:

- The Termite

I love when term goes through and posts little one liners in ever subject, they're always hilarious.

Terminator X
09-05-2005, 11:50 PM
^

I love when Celephais makes me realize my artistic ability amounts to that of a newborn pygmeyshrew.

Heshinar
09-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Wonder if I could make a character named "Phuque"

Miss X
09-06-2005, 09:38 AM
While I agree... Coolpally is an awful name, it's GMs discretion not ours. Theoretically, Chica shouldn't have been allowed either really but it was so I don't whine about names! ;)

Rainy Day
09-06-2005, 09:47 AM
They've always said compound names are fine, just not phrase names. But I gotta agree Coolpally is OOG and hasta go.

RD

HarmNone
09-06-2005, 09:56 AM
I don't see anything wrong with the name "Chica". While it might have a meaning in Spanish, that shouldn't disqualify it as a character name. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a number of names that might translate into some language or another.

Skirmisher
09-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Yep HN.

One of the girls names my mother had always liked was nixed immediately by my father as it meant "frog" in spanish.

Janarth
09-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Tons of names come from descriptions of people....Jackson...Jack's son. Thatcher, he was the town thatcher. However, I do mind when its just plain out of genre. Who calls paladins pallies? And no one uses 'cool'.

Axhinde
09-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Janarth
Tons of names come from descriptions of people....Jackson...Jack's son. Thatcher, he was the town thatcher. However, I do mind when its just plain out of genre. Who calls paladins pallies? And no one uses 'cool'.

The WoW junkies do.

Warriorbird
09-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Yeah. The DR people too.

My paladin always hated it there.

Showal
09-06-2005, 02:03 PM
I don't complain much about names, but the one name I always report when I see it is Madmartigan Dikini -- it's so obviously from Willow. None of the GMs will ever respond when I report it though. Coolpally is just retarded.

Showal
09-06-2005, 02:04 PM
I should have added that I just make fun of bad names, but I generally never report them.

Landrion
09-06-2005, 02:18 PM
I used to be bothered by bad names and then something became overwhelmingly clear to me. The GMs dont care and neither should I.

And frankly, why should they bother? Every game out there has retard names in it. People obviously like them - God knows why.

Aside from which, it gives us entertainment to make fun of them in threads. Personally I dont waste my time reporting, youll get nothing but excuses like the original poster got. Its nice to know theyre at least consistent. Heck, its been going on since the game was young.

Warriorbird
09-06-2005, 02:49 PM
I think I quit worrying when I was told that Stalin and Capone were not famous modern references.

Showal
09-06-2005, 04:26 PM
<<Aside from which, it gives us entertainment to make fun of them in threads. Personally I dont waste my time reporting, youll get nothing but excuses like the original poster got. Its nice to know theyre at least consistent. Heck, its been going on since the game was young.>>

You're right, I have gotten a bunch of laughs out of the names. I still think Lormenstrual Cycle was one of my favorites. I think the GMs, if the naming system doesn't catch it and the name's not blatant, will just make excuses. When I say blatant, I mean names like Shiitfaggfukfuk and Paratestes. I guess I don't mean blatant ... it only seems like the blatantly offensive ones that pass are removed. The blatantly retarded ones are allowed to remain.

Axhinde
09-06-2005, 04:32 PM
It was Lorminstral Cramps. And it still cracks me up. Paratestes is hilarious too. I forget who, but someone noticed the name generator suggest Cum, and it was most definetly available.

Sean of the Thread
09-06-2005, 04:34 PM
I called customer care awhile back to see what "deleted characters" were lurking on an account I purchased.. some of the names made me blush haha. Poor customer service operator.