PDA

View Full Version : Rehnquist Dies at Home

Artha
09-03-2005, 11:18 PM
AP article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050904/ap_on_go_su_co/renquist).

Back
09-03-2005, 11:21 PM
OMG! Bush is overwhelmed.

Tipping the glass for Rehnquist, even though I did not agree with his votes.

:beer:

peam
09-03-2005, 11:21 PM
Goodbye, civil liberties.

I'll miss you dearly.

Drew
09-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Just heard, that's too bad, Rehnquist was a man I admired and he'll be missed.

09-03-2005, 11:27 PM
:(
A good man, a sad day.

Ravenstorm
09-03-2005, 11:35 PM
A very sad day indeed.

Raven

Hulkein
09-03-2005, 11:53 PM
A very smart man, he lived a long successful life.

I'm happier than ever about Kerry losing the election.

Skirmisher
09-04-2005, 12:47 AM
Boy, Bush must be dancing a jig.

09-04-2005, 01:14 AM
Man you're a bitch.
Do you every think of anything else?

Skirmisher
09-04-2005, 01:18 AM
No, us bitches have to keep busy.

Seran
09-04-2005, 01:32 AM
If he gets both of his appointments, you can say goodbye to abortion, and say hello to government endorsed monopolies.

Ravenstorm
09-04-2005, 01:35 AM
At least he's only replacing a conservative with another conservative.

Raven

Goldenranger
09-04-2005, 03:22 AM
Abortion will still be alive after Rehnquist's successor is appointed, but very sickly at 5-4, it has been there before though and I don't think Blackmun's legacy will die anytime soon.

To the topic at hand, I disagree with Rehnquist's interpretation of the law at nearly every juncture but I have great respect for the man and hold him in high esteem. He was a principled man who entered the court determined to overturn the Miranda v. Arizona decision but when on the court and the opportunity arose he agreed with the principle of stare decisis and let it stand. This man had a particular ideology in relation to the law and never waivered, it is my hope that someone who is his successor will have a similar respect and acknowledgment of the importance of the rule of law.

Do I wish his successor would be someone who lines up with my interpretation of the law regarding civil liberties? Yes. But to take this tragedy of losing a man who devoted his life to his job and make it this political this early after his death is somewhat disgraceful in my eyes.

I tip my hat to you former Chief Justice, wherever you may be.

HarmNone
09-04-2005, 03:42 AM
May he rest in peace. Considering the disease that was killing him slowly, his death is a blessed release from the agony he's been suffering, and would have continued to suffer.

Detri
09-04-2005, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by HarmNone
May he rest in peace. Considering the disease that was killing him slowly, his death is a blessed release from the agony he's been suffering, and would have continued to suffer.

Well said.

It's unfortunate that such a brilliant man was taken from this world, but it was bound to happen. :no:

ElanthianSiren
09-04-2005, 07:06 AM
Despite agreement or non-agreement with his policies or politics, he's still a man with children, and his passing is still a sad day for many.

-M

Ilvane
09-04-2005, 08:08 AM
I'm sad that he's passed away, and afraid for what the future will bring for the Supreme Court.

I'm hoping they'll try to convince Sandra Day O'Connor to come back, and maybe as Chief Justice. Then again, maybe I'm dreaming.

-A

Parkbandit
09-04-2005, 08:50 AM
People who are saying they are concerned about the political landscape due to his death know zilch about the Supreme Court. You should be more concerned about O'Connor leaving than Rehnquist. And even then.. the one Bush has nominated for O'Connor's spot is clearly not considered a true conservative.

Why is it always half empty with Democrats?

ElanthianSiren
09-04-2005, 09:25 AM
I dunno PB. Given the choice between Rehnquist or Scalia as Chief Justice, I'd take Rehnquist on any given day of the week. The climate is an uncertain one, and most people do not like uncertainty. It's that old proverb when your boss quits: "Be careful with your celebration. The one you get, may be worse than the one you had."

Given the choice between Scalia and Kennedy, I'm sure you could guess, however, who I would pick. ;)

-M

[Edited on Sun, September th, 2005 by ElanthianSiren]

Skirmisher
09-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Considering Bushes presidency so far, his only lasting impression with the chance to be viewed in a positive light will be those he is able to name to the court.

So yes, I stand by my comment that this must be viewed as just about the best news he has heard in the last week to be sure, if not far far longer.

Parkbandit
09-04-2005, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Skirmisher
Considering Bushes presidency so far, his only lasting impression with the chance to be viewed in a positive light will be those he is able to name to the court.

So yes, I stand by my comment that this must be viewed as just about the best news he has heard in the last week to be sure, if not far far longer.

Actually.. history will judge Bush on whether or not we did the right thing in Iraq and Afganistan. Personally, I believe it will have a very positive impact on the Middle East in the years to come.

Again, it doesn't surprise me that another Democrat is half empty. It's almost common place now for your party.

[Edited on 9-4-05 by Parkbandit]

Skirmisher
09-04-2005, 09:38 AM
And welcome back to you PB.

Warriorbird
09-04-2005, 10:01 AM
I'm glad that Rehnquist's suffering is eased. I don't consider it something depressing, but more a call to action.

[Edited on 9-4-2005 by Warriorbird]

Parkbandit
09-04-2005, 12:10 PM

It's good to be back. Someone has to post with the voice of reason. Karl said I should.

Delirium
09-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Boy, Bush must be dancing a jig.

this must be viewed as just about the best news he has heard in the last week to be sure, if not far far longer.

Compare that with

A very sad day indeed.

But to take this tragedy of losing a man who devoted his life to his job and make it this political this early after his death is somewhat disgraceful in my eyes.

I tip my hat to you former Chief Justice, wherever you may be.

May he rest in peace.

And others from people who agree with you politically on many issues. Everyone can have extreme views but to slide so far to the extreme that you demonize someone to such an extent that you actually think someone is happy that someone died? Im starting to think moveon might not be extreme enough for you.

Skirmisher
09-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Delirium
Everyone can have extreme views but to slide so far to the extreme that you demonize someone to such an extent that you actually think someone is happy that someone died? Im starting to think moveon might not be extreme enough for you.

We are talking about a man who was dying...today, next week, a few months, maybe even a year or so from now, he was going to die and relatively soon. I don't think anyone would argue with that.

Supreme court appointments are one of the longest lasting effects a President can have after out of office. It is perhaps the longest legacy of many.

Having the chane to name not only one but two justices and then on top of that a new chief is a huge coup.

Anyone who thinks that republican leadership is not relieved that Rehnquists replacement comes during a republican administration is just wrong.

I don't know how much of any of the above would be disputed by someone of either party.

I'm not quite sure how that makes me some extreme (which by the way is just being overused to a painful degree) anything.

HarmNone
09-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

It's good to be back. Someone has to post with the voice of reason. Karl said I should.

I'll post with the voice of reason, PB. You just continue to babble. :D

HarmNone flees far and fast........>

Delirium
09-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Anyone who thinks that republican leadership is not relieved that Rehnquists replacement comes during a republican administration is just wrong.

Relieved maybe, but dancing a jig? This guy was pretty right wing and at the moment with the hurricane and Iraq happening Bush doesnt have the public support. To be a win he would have to be successful in putting someone as right wing as Rehnquist in. I dont think that will be possible. I seriously doubt anyone who supports republicans will be dancing a jig except maybe some of the real nutjobs.

Keller
09-04-2005, 02:56 PM
As a democrat I'd be happy with Scalia as Chief Justice. Evidenced by Ganalon's recent thread on his trip to CA he's a strict textualist. When your job is to protect the integrity of the constitution or lesser documents of civil law I believe textualism is about the most practical approach you can use. Sure he's a conservative but at least he's bound by his statutory ethics compared to a justice like O'Conner. I don't agree with his politics but I think his views influence his votes much less than other justices.

09-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Im all for Scalia.
He would get my vote.

Skirmisher
09-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Delirium
Relieved maybe, but dancing a jig? This guy was pretty right wing and at the moment with the hurricane and Iraq happening Bush doesnt have the public support. To be a win he would have to be successful in putting someone as right wing as Rehnquist in. I dont think that will be possible. I seriously doubt anyone who supports republicans will be dancing a jig except maybe some of the real nutjobs.

Hrm, alright, I have to admit that you may be correct and I was too quick to use such imagery as the jig comment.

Point conceded.

Ravenstorm
09-06-2005, 01:50 PM
You just have to love how predictable some people are.

DeV
09-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Rehnquist wasn't even gay and this is the disrespect he receives from a supposedly God loving church group. :rolleyes:

ElanthianSiren
09-06-2005, 05:04 PM
:barf:
article.

And no, Scalia is incredibly anti abortion. I'd never vote him in, were it up to me. There are larger things here (for me particularly than textualization). Of course, I'd like to see a woman, (not Clement), take up a seat. It's looking more and more like the boy's club there.

-M

Hulkein
09-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Ravenstorm

I can't believe that is real.

With terms like 'faggyass,' it sounds like a 12 year old wrote it.

[Edited on 9-6-2005 by Hulkein]

DeV
09-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein

Originally posted by Ravenstorm

With terms like 'faggyass,' it sounds like a 12 year old wrote it.

[Edited on 9-6-2005 by Hulkein] www.godhatesfags.com

It's there and it's very real.

[Edited on 9-6-2005 by DeV]

HarmNone
09-06-2005, 05:46 PM
As sentient beings, we'd like to think that the writers of articles like that have some excuse...like being a child. However, there are plenty of adults around just like that, and they really believe that drivel. :(

Ravenstorm
09-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein

Unfortunately, very real. The Westboro Baptist Church is run by Fred Phelps. He's notorious for his hatred of everything not ultra-Fundamentalist in the best fire and brimstone tradition.

He and his 'church' - mostly family members and it should be a crime to indoctrinate young children in that kind of hatred but there's that pesky freedom of speech and religion thing we have going on - travel across the country. He's the one who tried to get a monument placed saying how Matthew Shephard is burning in hell. He pickets funerals of Iraqi soldiers because they're defending a country steeped in sin.

His brand of hatred is very real in this country. He's just the most vocal about it. Other groups also have the common sense to not be quite so extreme vocally even if they're thinking it.

Raven