PDA

View Full Version : Healer Perceptions

Nilandia
11-08-2004, 01:08 AM
A few postings in another thread got me thinking, and I wanted to ask you guys.

How do you see empaths?

Are they just people getting easy levels with no risk and sitting in town centers while they eat chocolate and giggle?

Are they the combat medics that look after your wounds while they fight alongside you?

Are they the people you look to for comfort while they take your pain upon themselves to help you?

For another question, what do you see empaths as ideally being? I don't think many people would say that empaths are played exactly as they would envision them to be. So how do you picture an empath?

I'll refrain from posting my own opinions for now, but I will add them after a while.

Nilandia

Gan
11-08-2004, 01:17 AM
ask Artha. He loves empaths...

The Cat In The Hat
11-08-2004, 01:24 AM
I see most empaths as retards.

:shrug:

I see about 20 in game total that I would say don't fit at least 25% of that silly chocolate eating giggling empath guide.

As for my empaths, Ones insane, talks to a doll, shes a klepto and steals from people when her doll tells her to. I think shes spent a total of about 2 hours sitting and healing, she mainly hunts right now just so I can gain her in levels. My other empath's independant, mostly hunts but doesn't get offended when someone asks her to heal, and is glad to help. She giggles, but only when she should, it's not every 5 seconds. She has gone into combat as primarially a healer to those hunting, but it's rare, she would rather be doing the killing. neither of them wear a ton of fluff, and neither of them fight other healers over wounds.

Amberlei
11-08-2004, 01:59 AM
I've got an empath and while she loves feeling as if she's helping people, she gets such a headache from healing in TSC lately. She mostly hunts anymore, but one or two evenings a week she'll spend a few odd hours healing in town. Some of the best interactions ever happen in TSC between healer and patient, but also some of the worst between empath and empath. Wish there were some mandatory training course empaths had to take on etiquette both between patients and between each other.

Gan
11-08-2004, 02:11 AM
Actually, I'm kind of fond of playing an empath. I raised an empath to title then gave him away to a friend who's no longer in the game when I thought I was cutting back on gemstone. Then used another empath of another friend for a long time as a utility healer, then last year bought an empath thats advanced in years as a secondary character because the price was right and have had a blast hunting him since.

Of all the professions I play, this empath has to be one of the most versatile and prolific professions to hunt if you balance their new attack strength with their viability to heal and hunt on the run without having to regroup and get healing if you get hit with some serious damage. My empath uses blade/shield for the heavy defensive strength and fares very well in OTF.

If I had to start anew with Gemstone I'd roll and start an empath first as the primary then I'd start developing others around him/her that I could base support and spend the wealth that usually comes to healer/hunters of the empathic profession.

Nakiro
11-08-2004, 07:12 AM
:pirate:

My empath just kills people that offend him.

:beer:

Wezas
11-08-2004, 09:08 AM
Because I have been reprimanded by an officer of my house for a post on these boards about my healing style - I will refrain from re-stating any racial preferences for healing.

I do stand around in public places, mainly the crypt. I do not gobble chocolate or heal anyone who walks in the door. For the most part, I'm just there to cause trouble or help people, depending on my mood. I've given up stealing (GS4 made it suck hard) so now i just stir up trouble.

I haven't hunted in ages - no clue even what to hunt at my age.

Drew2
11-08-2004, 09:11 AM
1. Haha, House Sovyn sucks.
2. What train are you? U2U me if you feel the need.

Wezas
11-08-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Tayre
1. Haha, House Sovyn sucks.
2. What train are you? U2U me if you feel the need.

1. I'm debating that stance as well. I'm a lifetime member who was there when it first opened. One statement about how I prefer not to heal a certain race, and I get this:

To: Wezas
Sent: 9-5-2004 at 06:00 PM
Message: blah blah blah ... "would it not have been batter to try to teach the erstwhile offender instead of refusing so blatantly and allowing him to die?" ... blah blah blah

2. I'm hardly ever in game. I'm about 60 trains and my gear is all basic 4x crap. But I appreciate the offer.

landon
11-08-2004, 09:19 AM
I have to agree with The Cat And The Hat.

Drew2
11-08-2004, 09:20 AM
If you're really interested in hunting (assuming your training doesn't suck completely), come to EN and I'll show you the easiest hunting u ever did see.

Also assuming you can leave your precious crypt without crying.

And the reason House Sovyn sucks is because of what i heard from Indica. That you have to heal anyone who asks, period.

Yeah. Not gonna fly with me.

P.S.- I totally don't follow that guide. I'm the l33t3st empath ever to live.

[Edited on 11-8-2004 by Tayre]

Wezas
11-08-2004, 09:23 AM
Also assuming you can leave your precious crypt without crying.

:no: :(

11-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Empaths piss me off. They seriously do. They whine, eat chocolate, bounce, and hug my character. They should just sit and TSC and heal. I like herbs.

- Arkans

Gan
11-08-2004, 09:31 AM
Wezas, bring your empath to Illistim. At the age you're currently at you could hunt temple wyneb (skull temple - hierophants, dogmatists, etc.) with ease. Then if you really get bored you can sit on the dais and pick on everyone who falls asleep there... or Klaser and his script healing if he ever is run out of the landing. :lol:

Drew2
11-08-2004, 09:32 AM
Um I own the Dais with my uberjamusscript.

Thx.

Wezas
11-08-2004, 09:42 AM
Ugh, Klaser is a good reason not to go there.

Drew2
11-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Klaser is currently in Landing.

AnticorRifling
11-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Someone vultures me I befriend them cold.

Drew2
11-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Except me because I'm his bit-... empath friend.

Kainen
11-08-2004, 09:57 AM
I have a young empath and I dont giggle or vulture or any of that shit.. she does wear odd and mismatched clothing but thats what she likes.. I am quite, respectful and helpful when asked.. the only problem with that is 9 times out of 10 theres one or 2 older healers there that will heal someone before they even ask if they can get a heal.. I think empaths are handy to have around.. but sometimes I just as soon rely on herbs.. I wish empaths would go back to having some sort of a code of conduct.

Nilandia
11-08-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Arkans
Empaths piss me off. They seriously do. They whine, eat chocolate, bounce, and hug my character. They should just sit and TSC and heal. I like herbs.

- Arkans
Hm... like that empath you're trying to enslave? :smilegrin:

Nilandia

Amberlei
11-08-2004, 12:03 PM
There is supposed to be a sort of code of conduct amongst empaths, but unfortunately all too many empaths seem to have the "me first and screw everyone else" attitude.

Before I had an empath character, there were some empaths that I thought were great. Upon becoming an empath though, I realize that some of these people are not so great.

Not naming names, but here are the healing styles that bug the heck out of me.

1) "The Vacuum" who nods faster than a speeding bullet, ofttime nodding the moment someone walks into TSC and never giving others a chance to heal.

2) "The Vulture" who heals patients others have nodded to and/or heals people who haven't asked for healing.

3) "The Hypocrite" who gets into an argument that their way of healing is best and provides for faster patient response, yet is so busy arguing that patients stand around gushing blood waiting for the arguments to be finished. This is especially annoying when there are multiple people arguing and multiple people in need of healing.

There was an etiquette class/contest for empaths a few months ago, which unfortunately only a handful of empaths attended. Basically, I feel that empaths should treat each other and patients with dignity. Patients coming in to be healed deserve to be treated as individuals with wants and needs, not as bags of meat who's only value is the experience one can garner from healing their wounds. Other empaths around you deserve to be treated as respected equals. Younger empaths should be mentored by more experienced empaths and allowed to heal the wounds that they can so that they can garner experience both in healing and patient care in a safe, supportive environment.

Don't get me wrong, there are some truly exceptional empaths out there I've met in TSC. Among my personal favorites are Taedon, Eldaria, Elisuan (though I may have spelled that wrong), Thelena, and Sandryne. If one of my non-empath characters needs healing, I try to find one of these people for help.

Drew2
11-08-2004, 12:09 PM
:cry:

Nieninque
11-08-2004, 12:15 PM
My most recent experience of being vultured :D

>A cloud of dense silvery fog suddenly appears. The fog quickly dissipates to reveal Alarke.

>A black forest viper slithers in.

>A black forest viper's fangs glisten as it tries to bite Alarke!
AS: +310 vs DS: +309 with AvD: +23 + d100 roll: +12 = +36
A clean miss.

>Alarke asks, "Want me to get you to town?"

>A black forest ogre swings a rust-covered dhara at Alarke!
AS: +323 vs DS: +309 with AvD: +29 + d100 roll: +82 = +125
... and hits for 6 points of damage!
Blow nicks Alarke's left hand.

>A massive black boar trots in, grunting noisily!
>'no

>You say, "No."

>A black forest viper's fangs glisten as it tries to bite Alarke!
AS: +330 vs DS: +344 with AvD: +23 + d100 roll: +97 = +106
... and hits for 1 point of damage!
Thrust catches chin.
Leaves an impression but no cut.

>A black forest viper's fangs glisten as it tries to bite a massive black boar!
The black boar evades the attack!

>A cloud of dense silvery fog suddenly appears. The fog quickly dissipates to reveal Klaser.

>Alarke shrugs.

>A black forest ogre swings a rust-covered dhara at Alarke!
AS: +323 vs DS: +344 with AvD: +29 + d100 roll: +14 = +22
A clean miss.
Klaser traces a sign while petitioning the spirits for cognition...
Klaser gestures.
A sense of peace and calm settles over the area.

>A massive black boar trots west, grunting noisily.
A black forest ogre stares, seething in anger!

>look
The trail divides into three branches, one looking no different than the next. Enormous black-barked trunks crowd closely on all sides, supporting a seamless canopy that blocks most of the light from above. You also see a black forest viper, a black forest viper, a vultite-tipped arrow, a black forest ogre, a vultite-tipped arrow, a vultite-tipped arrow and a vultite-tipped arrow.
Also here: Klaser, Alarke
Obvious paths: northeast, south, west

>Klaser says, "Do it anyway."

>Klaser nods to Alarke.

>A black forest viper slithers northeast.

>A black forest viper slowly slithers west.

>Klaser meditates over you.
Klaser takes your abdomen damage.

Klaser takes your neck damage.

>Alarke begins chuckling at Klaser!

Klaser takes your chest damage.

>A black forest ogre scowls angrily.

Klaser takes your left arm damage.

Klaser takes your left eye damage.

Klaser takes your right arm damage.

Klaser takes your right leg damage.

Klaser takes some of your blood loss.

Klaser takes all of your blood loss.
Klaser murmurs a simple, mystical chant...

>Klaser concentrates.
Klaser looks a little better.
A black forest ogre stares, seething in anger!

>Klaser's abdomen looks better.

>A black forest ogre shifts around, looking indecisive.

>Klaser's neck looks better.
Alarke whispers, "If the reason you wont let me help is because im Rarr's father.. i disowned her."

>Alarke faces Klaser, closes his eyes and begins chanting. Suddenly, a small bolt of energy arcs between them!

Alarke opens his eyes, looking slightly drained.

>Klaser murmurs a simple, mystical chant...

>Klaser's chest looks better.

>A black forest ogre lumbers west, growling.

>Klaser's abdomen looks better.

>Klaser's left arm looks better.

>Klaser's neck looks better.

>whis alarke you took part in the killing of meYou quietly whisper to Alarke, "You took part in the killing of me."

>depart
Being dead is truly boring...but things could be worse. You could be bored AND in pain.

If you wish to depart this plane, so as to immediately continue on your journey, please type DEPART CONFIRM.

>Klaser's left eye looks better.
depart confirm
The world before you dissolves into a grainy montage of color...

[b]then a little later....back on the Dais...

You gesture while summoning the spirits of nature to aid you with the Spike Thorn spell...
Your spell is ready.

>You gesture at Klaser.
For some reason, you feel extremely lucky.

Dozens of long thorns suddenly grow out from the ground underneath Klaser! Several of the thorns jab into him!
... hits for 29 points of damage!
... 50 points of damage!
Incredible strike pierces heart and runs Klaser clean through!

* Klaser drops dead at your feet!

You quietly whisper to Klaser, "Dont leech off me."

[Edited on 8-11-04 by Nieninque]

TheRoseLady
11-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Jesus and Klaser's player has the nerve to complain about Brauden calling him out on his vulturing? :lol:

I'm gaining more respect for Brauden with every thread.

The Cat In The Hat
11-08-2004, 12:28 PM
:clap:

Well deserved.

I was hunting krolvin with my ranger and someone vultured her, I chased him down and spikethorned him, he apologized :)

ZeDirtySanchez
11-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Yaknow..I remember a time when that was how healing was done. Empaths healed you..and you were happy and thankful.

God I miss those days.

Nilandia
11-08-2004, 12:31 PM
I'll start by posting a description of how I play my empath in Plat, as I posted on the Plat boards in a thread on death and rescues. (Note: Plat still has droppage, hence the comment on finding the person's gear.)

I love to personalize helping people. I mean, heck, the person I'm helping is a person with their own preferences, wants, etc. Another reason why I tailor my approach is what I see an empath's function as being. I don't see them as just a healer, but also as someone who is a comforter and consoler, someone who is with a person to make sure they are in one piece and feel better. They're the person who will hold your hand and stay by your side.

Now, I can't do all that after I've taken your wounds. Wounds hurt, for goodness' sake, so I help before I take them. I'll greet you, talk to you if I find that you're willing, call for a cleric and let you know I've done so, then stay by your side to make sure you're alright.

After I take your wounds, if they're serious enough, you'll find me suddenly turn quiet. Don't take it personally, as I'm in a load of pain and trying to concentrate on keeping myself from bleeding to death or passing out. I am still watching out for you, however, and if you still need my help, I'll do my best.

Once you're back up, I'm keeping an eye on you to see if everything's alright. While the sentiment of a hug is appreciated, if the wounds and scars are bad enough, it's really counter-productive. I've passed out in pain because of it before.

Now, if I'm called on a rescue, my first instinct is to keep you and get your stuff back. Once that's over, however, the hurry is over unless you give me reason to rush, and then my caring side will take over, yielding the situation I described above.

Yes, it's a privilege to receive an empath and cleric's aid when you die, but hey, that's no reason for me to get snippy with you or forget that I'm with a person. Death is a traumatic experience, so no matter how much it's painful for me, the person who's dead is going through a more dramatic experience than I am. (They must hide it better than I do. I'm flat on my back long after they get up and run off.)

That's how I see things in general terms. An empath's job is to get someone on their feet and going again, even though they go through a whole mess of pain to get there. Ideally, the empath would also help calm a person down (we are called consolers) and let them know things are going to be alright. There are some very well played exceptions to the rule, however, Cat's little insane healer being one of them.

More specifically, the way I play my empaths vary between the characters. One empath heals only when he has to, but prefers hunting. Another is a Dhe'nari painstealer who wants to make sure the other Dhe'nar get "adequate" care.

Nilandia, both in Prime and Plat, has evolved into an entity all her own. She can take wounds, but that is just one facet of her personality. She also uses herbs, charms, incantations, surgery and anything else she can get her hands on to make sure people are well. She's constantly searching for new ways to help others, so it's fitting that she's Lumnisian.

It's rare that people come to Nilandia for the other styles of healing, which is a shame. The girl has a lot of stuff at her disposal to use (Including a number of poisons and curse charms. Ebon Gate was like heaven for me!), but everyone seems focused on the idea that they're only hurt if the mechanics say they're hurt.

Unfortunately, people tend not really to stop to find out about empaths. You walk in, ask for healing, get healed, give the healer a tip or a hug and walk off, end of interaction. There are a number of empaths I've run into that aren't heal-bots, but vibrant personalities, of which I would wish I could consider myself one, but so many times, their fabulous RP is overlooked in the name of convenience and a desire to get back to hunting.

Now, that said, I'll close with my "empath rant," which I sometimes post when I find people blasting empaths for no apparent reason and their flame is particularly vicious against empaths.

I am not a puff, thank you. I am not a little ball of fluff who is full of giggles and hugs and likes to munch on chocolate all day without gaining weight. I am not a little girl who dresses all in pink and uses cute words like "Okies."
I am an empath. I am a healer. I am here to make sure you are healthy and in one piece. Those wounds I take cause real pain, thank you very much. I have taken so much pain before that most people can't imagine, and wounds that would kill a person, yet I have to live and continue working while other people beg for my help without understanding that I'm about to pass out from pain and bloodloss.
I am not happy if you come back from a hunt bleeding from every part of your body, fall face down to the ground and yell at me, demanding that I heal you. I am happy when you come back from a hunt in one piece. I would rather you healthy than full of wounds that I must take upon myself.
I am not a robot or an NPC that you can come to at your leisure. I am not going to jump on you as soon as I hear the words "healing" or "bleeding."
If you tread me like dirt, you'll be lying in it. Just make sure you land face up so someone else can pour the flask in.

Nilandia

Drew2
11-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Honestly, I completely admire and respect your method.

I do hope, however, that it is not also your expectation.

The way I/Tayre sees it, healing is not a job. He's not paid for it. No one told him he had to do it (nor would they get anywhere if they did). You ask for healing, he'll give it to you if he feels like it. If not, find another healer.

Also, Tayre cares very little for 90% of empaths, as they all have the "wrong" view of their abilities. When they get all angry and insist that he nod, follow THEIR customs... he tells them exactly where they can put those customs and rules.

The way he sees it, if you're lucky enough to be healed, be thankful. Tip if you want. But don't ever expect or demand anything from him, especially healing.

TheRoseLady
11-08-2004, 12:42 PM
I have an empath but she rarely heals, or she heals friends mostly. Sometimes she's in Ice Mule and will heal if no one is around - but generally it's a hassle because of the Klaser types of Gemstone.

I've met some great empaths over the years - your definition of great might differ from mine but I consider Ravenstorm, Ellerick, Lissa, Velvette, Celeri, Lorissia and Gothique to be among my favorite empaths for various reasons.

I wish that all empaths employed the nodding rule, it just is more civilized and not robotic. You can get individual healing from one empath and not have 20 people stripping wounds from you like a buzzard over its prey.

I think that there are all sorts of empaths tho, and those who are willing to actually rescue hold high scores in my book. It is funny though to watch someone RP that they dislike empaths or certain races and see that people just cannot handle it.

Drew2
11-08-2004, 12:44 PM
The main reason I don't nod is because I can completely heal a patient before any other empath even notices they ask.

Blame Jamus for that.

ZeDirtySanchez
11-08-2004, 12:48 PM
I wish people would take it upon themselves to solve the "empath problem" insted of placing the blame on completely on the empaths.

If even half the people who complained about the horrible healing tactics did a few simple steps, this "problem" would not be here.

1. Try asking empaths in whispers, or directing your speach twords a single empath. Just walking into the room and saying "Healing please." or "Any healers free?" is an open invite to every healer in the room. IE 8-10 empaths are going to start typing like mad, trying to be the FIRST person to nod or touch you or what ever. Make life more simple on us, eh?

2. If someone vultures you, just set them to a cold setting. They now can't heal you. Problem solved.

3. Just because your town has "set rules" on how healing goes, does not mean I must adhear to your rules. I heal the way I want. I personally feel I'm not rude in any way. Just because I don't nod does not mean I don't interact. There is normally hugs, smiles, thanks, and kind words cross after the healing is done.

I don't hog all the healing. I heal at my pace. I have my own style. Just because some people (and I mean some) cannot keep up with me is not my fault.

TheRoseLady
11-08-2004, 12:49 PM
The main reason I don't nod is because I can completely heal a patient before any other empath even notices they ask.

Blame Jamus for that.

I know that Tayre is very independent Drew, but if you can heal that fast then you can make your script also nod first. I dunno - it's not like the world will end, but it does seam a bit more dignified.

You're right tho, you don't have to be agreeable or likeable if you don't want to be :)

I honestly will whisper to someone and ask for healing - the majority of the time. It's just the most painless method of getting healed.

DeV
11-08-2004, 12:51 PM
I like Empaths for the most part. I enjoy being healed when I ask for it. I wanted to get the experience of the healer from their point of view so I played my girlfriends 30 something Empath for a while until I killed myself while healing in TSC and she wouldn't let me play her anymore. She said it's embarassing when that happens or something to that affect... but anyway. I learned that there are alot of players who expect things that they shouldn't from Empaths such as the heal me now attitude as well as the rudeness being acceptable because they feel Empaths are just out for the experience anyway. I guess you don't stop and think that a healer won't recieve experience on every person they heal based on level and also healers who feed into the stereotyped roles instead of dictating their own RP style. I've also never been vultured with any of my characters in game so I think it has alot to do with what you have experienced personally with an empath.

Nilandia
11-08-2004, 12:52 PM
To be honest, Tayre, as long as a person RPs healing, rather than seeing it as sucking up wounds for experience, then I'm at least partly satisfied. If it's consistent and believable, even better.

If empaths insist that another empath follow their local customs, I'd wonder if they're more intent on staying comfortable in their little bubble, and I'd doubt they really had a patient's best interest at heart. While you're arguing over how to heal a patient, people are bleeding to death.

I do admire your perception that healing is something to be thankful for, because it really is. It's the empath's choice whether or not they heal someone, not their job. Nilandia, however, loves helping people so much that unless you really offend her personally, she'd help you if you asked.

That doesn't mean she's a doormat, however. Say someone walks in and just says, "Healing." I'll do a quick appraisal to see if they're dying (someone might only have time to type out the one word), and if they're not, I'll play along with them. I might say something like, "Hm... yes, looks like you could use some. What about it?" That way I draw people into RP and they see me as an actual person. It is a fine line to walk, however. I've been chewed out because I wanted someone to respect me, but on the whole, I haven't had much trouble.

On the other hand, if someone treats Nilandia really badly (as Arkans can attest), she'll flat out refuse. She has better things to do than to submit herself to something like that.

Two different playing styles, Tayre, but each have equal validity. I think we both can agree that we hate the stereotypical empath and people expecting us to jump when they want us to.

Nilandia

Nilandia
11-08-2004, 01:00 PM
I highly, highly recommend observing the empaths in the town you're in to see their healing styles. Once you find a few empaths of the town whose styles you like, ask the person in a whisper or a direct question. Gets the point across that you like personal attention and it avoids the "pile on the patient" mindset.

If someone vultures you, by all means set them to reserved or cold. There's little that gets me more angry faster then a vulture. While healers do deserve respect, patients do, too.

By the by, Arkans, did I ever send you that log of the funeral service for the five people you killed?

Nilandia

Nilandia
11-08-2004, 01:03 PM
I'll let you guys know how absolutely pathetic I can be when it comes to respecting a patient when I heal them. I type out all my healing commands by hand. Most likely the people I heal have no idea that I never use healing scripts, macros or point and click, but to me, using those just feels too impersonal (doesn't mean that it is, just that it feels like that). I'd rather treat everyone individually than with a script, so I type everything out.

Pretty sad, huh?

Nilandia

BigBadBonar
11-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Two easy solutions :-D

1: Don't play an empath and get a bot - healer
2: I you play an empath who doesn't want to heal turn your title off.

Fallen
11-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Evarin sees empaths as the word in his langauge describes them: Painstealers. Empaths make their living by removing pain from those that deserve to suffer. Suffering a wound in combat is a form of failure, and should be a lesson learned. It took Evarin a long time to adjust to the touch of a single empath, and he still prefers to heal himself with herbs.

OOC...None of my characters have ever bothered with empaths. Herbs and certain abilities granted to players are more than sufficient means to take care of ones injuries. Upon death, I depart, so I will never have the need for an empath to clean up my corpse.

Whenever Evarin suffers a grave wound, I see this as an opportunity to roleplay. Each time, the temptation is great to just allow one of these creatures steal away his pain and leave him in perfect health. Each time, Evarin must way his conscious and decide what is the "Right" choice to make.

Nilandia
11-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Fallen
Evarin sees empaths as the word in his langauge describes them: Painstealers. Empaths make their living by removing pain from those that deserve to suffer. Suffering a wound in combat is a form of failure, and should be a lesson learned. It took Evarin a long time to adjust to the touch of a single empath, and he still prefers to heal himself with herbs.

OOC...None of my characters have ever bothered with empaths. Herbs and certain abilities granted to players are more than sufficient means to take care of ones injuries. Upon death, I depart, so I will never have the need for an empath to clean up my corpse.

Whenever Evarin suffers a grave wound, I see this as an opportunity to roleplay. Each time, the temptation is great to just allow one of these creatures steal away his pain and leave him in perfect health. Each time, Evarin must way his conscious and decide what is the "Right" choice to make.
I love it when I run into someone who RPs with empaths, even if the RP isn't of the warm and fuzzy sort. I've interacted with Dighn the first, who, as you probably know, refused any non-Dhe'nar or non-slave empath from healing him and departed pretty much every time.

I actually like it when people make the choice not to use empaths or if they RP that they don't like empaths. Least I have something to RP with.

I play my Erithi rogue the same way. She is completely self-sufficient and heals herself completely with herbs that she forages, or buys if she has no other recourse. It's not that she doesn't have anything against empaths in particular, it's that she doesn't want anyone to see her. It took her a long time to trust someone to open the boxes she found out hunting.

I also play a Dhe'nar painstealer sometimes. She was raised in Sharath and is your stereotypical Dhe'nar as far as beliefs and habits. She currently lives in River's Rest and will only heal other Dhe'nar. She's in River's Rest simply to make sure other Dhe'nar receive adequate medical attention. Unfortunately, I don't play her as often as I should.

Nilandia

Nilandia
11-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBonar

You really don't want to get me started on how I feel about MA'ing and robot healers. It's not pretty. Suffice to say that they rank around vultures in my level of respect for them.

My title actually is set to Historian, as it's the closest thing I could get to describe Nilandia, and the girl really loves history, too. I'm contemplating setting it to Herbmistress or Herbalist because that's the side of her that's becoming more prominent.

There are times, however, when I really don't want to heal people (mostly when I just want to RP and I'm stuck in a town center with no end in sight). Those times, I'll heal someone, take care of the bleeding wounds and run/limp off. I hate having to desert places where I'm needed, but I play this game to have fun, not be your personal wound vacuum.

Nilandia

CrystalTears
11-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBonar
Two easy solutions :-D

Why? If a rogue doesn't want to pick he can't have "lockpicker" as his profession? If a cleric doesn't want to raise he shouldn't have cleric as profession either?

If an empath doesn't want to heal you, can't you just accept that they don't want to and move onto another empath? Why do they HAVE to heal you, just as clerics don't HAVE to raise you and bards don't HAVE to sing to your stuff?

Just seems a bit selfish to have someone change their profession/title/whathaveyou so that you feel better and not "waste your time" in asking for help. I guess I don't understand that mentality.

Dhuul
11-08-2004, 01:55 PM
I remember GM comments saying empaths were designed around people too dumb or lazy to hunt...and then GS4 makes them decent, bah.

The Cat In The Hat
11-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Dhuul
I remember GM comments saying empaths were designed around people too dumb or lazy to hunt...and then GS4 makes them decent, bah.

My first character was an empath, and so have been 99% of all my characters since. That doesn't mean im too lazy or dumb to hunt. I have NEVER played an empath that hust sat around and healed. My first empath was hunting zombies alone at 16 trainings. Empaths were viable even then, you just had to know what you were doing.

Trinitis
11-08-2004, 02:11 PM
In theory CT.

But then again, my empath was chased out of Icemule by the OTHER empaths for refusing to heal people. I was told it was my JOB and I had not choice in the matter.

On the other hand, I'm now back in icemule, and my healer is a total bitch most of the times to other healers. She is nice to the people she helps, but she has a very IC reason to dislike any empath in Icemule.

PS When I say chased, I mean that the other empaths got so bad with the bugging me, calling me names, telling people not to help/save me, etc..that I actually left Icemule for about 4 months.

Edited for Typos

[Edited on 11-8-2004 by LordAdredrin]

Amaron
11-08-2004, 02:14 PM
My empath is a vaalor elf. She is a mild racist. She never never heals without permisson... She heals other races because she hates the thought of their blood messing up the Court in the Fortress.

Two come in bleeding and asking for help.. she always heals the full elf first and many Vaalor elves come to her first.

She will not take another empath's wounds nor clean them up. She does not want other empaths "cleaning" her either.

She only speaks elven which is hard for her to communicate with her patients many times... but most grow to know her nods and signals...

J

CrystalTears
11-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by LordAdredrin
In theory CT.

But then again, my empath was chased out of Icemule by the OTHER empaths for refusing to heal people. I was told it was my JOB and I had not choice in the matter.

Doesn't surprise me. It's why I stopped being an empath because of OTHER empaths. Bunch of beeyotches. :D

Meril
11-09-2004, 05:17 AM
I've only had one serious character, playing for less than a year, as a sylvan empath. It's taken a while to get to know my character and to work out inconsistencies, but presently here are my views on how empaths should be:

My character believes that faith is the source of all healing. The ability to transfer pain and heal it is a gift from Imaera. Because it is a gift, healing should also be free. She no longer takes tips, though she doesn't think ill of those who do. In keeping with etiquette she will tip another empath if they heal her without asking. (I have no problems about being 'vultured'.)

Most of her experience comes from hunting. If she is sitting somewhere and someone comes in asking for help, she will most always defer to another empath if they are available and responsive. When fogging a body into a place where known healers are active, just tend them and say something to the effect of "So-and-so will need a healer and a priest." As long as the patients are being helped, I don't mind who does it. However, when it is specifically asked of her, or when no one else is around, then always heal. Healing is a good and holy deed, after all. Letting someone suffer would be evil through inaction.

One should talk to the patient, and unless the wound is truly minor, do a full diagnosis and try to tell them what their ailment is. I don't really like the nod-transfer-transfer routine. Sometimes I try to mix in actions to make the process less robotic: walk behind the patient to inspect back wounds, twitch in reaction to taking serious nerve shock. Anything that makes empathy more interactive is good.

Healing is painful, especially the transfer of serious wounds. No reason to act happy about it. Show the pain. Hugging a bleeding empath is completely unsanitary. Don't know why people do it unless they like having blood all over them.

I appreciate empaths who take the time to heal down scars. When my character was younger and hadn't started refusing tips, she would use the silvers mainly to buy herbs and scar potions. Cleanups just seem a bit lazy.

I enjoy field healing. It makes the profession exciting and different, when you are having to keep track of not only yourself and what you're hunting but the well-being of your hunting partners, deciding which wounds to take, avoiding overstacking, and picking the right times to heal scars to keep yourself from being too wounded to cast at the enemy.

I have always liked empaths as a whole. . . I had my first taste of GS3 on AOL. At the time, I had no idea what roleplaying was, and my character never amounted to much before I quit. What I do remember, though, was how a TSC empath took me on a short walk, taught me some lessons on hunting and behaving, helped me get properly equipped, and gave me what seemed to be an amazing sum of silvers to start off with. A couple months later, just before I left, I found her again and slipped her my entire bank account without stopping to explain. It wasn't much, but I'd like to think that was the only thing back then that I did right.

11-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Nilandia

- Arkans
Hm... like that empath you're trying to enslave? :smilegrin:

Nilandia

I have *NO* idea what you are talking about!!! :P

- Arkans

Fallen
11-09-2004, 03:22 PM
It sounds like you have a very thought out and well rounded character, Meril. I hope you continue to put forth that level of effort into keeping that standard.

Killer Kitten
11-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Meril
I've only had one serious character, playing for less than a year, as a sylvan empath. It's taken a while to get to know my character and to work out inconsistencies, but presently here are my views on how empaths should be:

My character believes that faith is the source of all healing. The ability to transfer pain and heal it is a gift from Imaera. Because it is a gift, healing should also be free. She no longer takes tips, though she doesn't think ill of those who do. In keeping with etiquette she will tip another empath if they heal her without asking. (I have no problems about being 'vultured'.)

My character, on the other hand, had faith in herself and her friends, but none in gods. When she thought about her gift at all, she considered it a kind of genetic mutation, the same kind of thing that let a cleric raise the dead or a wizard do wizardly things. She worked hard and improved upon her inborn skills, much as a warrior practices weapons and fighting to improve upon his natural athleticism. She had no problem accepting payment for her services, it's a tough old world out there and a girl has got to use what assets she has to pay the bills. Another empath healing her would always make her go off like a rocket, she took it as a negative commentary on her abilities, like the other person was saying she was incapable of doing her job. (She even felt this way about somebody healing her corpse, she was a real nut on the subject and it was a lot of fun to RP.)

Most of her experience comes from hunting. If she is sitting somewhere and someone comes in asking for help, she will most always defer to another empath if they are available and responsive. When fogging a body into a place where known healers are active, just tend them and say something to the effect of "So-and-so will need a healer and a priest." As long as the patients are being helped, I don't mind who does it. However, when it is specifically asked of her, or when no one else is around, then always heal. Healing is a good and holy deed, after all. Letting someone suffer would be evil through inaction.

Ti was proud of her abilities and really loved healing. She was possessive of her patients, if she rescued somebody she was damn well going to heal them, unless they requested a different healer. The exception to this was if she rescued somebody she disliked. She'd fog 'em back because she didn't believe in abandoning people to rot, but once they were back in town and lifekept she felt her moral obligation was at an end. If there were no other healer present, she'd tend them for raising, but no way was she healing somebody who had been mean to her.

One should talk to the patient, and unless the wound is truly minor, do a full diagnosis and try to tell them what their ailment is. I don't really like the nod-transfer-transfer routine. Sometimes I try to mix in actions to make the process less robotic: walk behind the patient to inspect back wounds, twitch in reaction to taking serious nerve shock. Anything that makes empathy more interactive is good.

I have no problem with the nod/transfer routine. Once one of my little characters was being healed by an empath who considered herself one of the 'great old healers'. This person knew that the little char was played by Tilones player, didn't like Ti's style of healing and set out to show me (the player) just how 'healing should be done'. She strided up to me, saluted me, turned to face me, diagnosed me, walked around me, glanced at me, and on and on. I finally asked her if she was healing or giving me a lap dance.

Healing is painful, especially the transfer of serious wounds. No reason to act happy about it. Show the pain. Hugging a bleeding empath is completely unsanitary. Don't know why people do it unless they like having blood all over them.

I roleplayed this way differently than most people do. To me the transferring of wounds was an exercise in purest bliss, the more serious the wound the more orgasmic the sensation of absorbing it. I couldn't figure out why in the world anybody would not only transfer wounds but seek the experience unless it felt good. Healing people was like smoking crack for Ti, the more she did it the more she wanted it. After awhile she'd be lost in a mental haze of mega-pleasurable sensation, wanting nothing but to keep that feeling happening. I never thought much about sanitary aspects of bleeding and hugging, mostly because unless it was a close friend Ti didn't really like being hugged. She'd usually bow to people, after doing that once or twice they'd get the hint and bow to her when she healed them. Ti was a very small and frail person, she was always afraid that some hugger would break her in half.

I appreciate empaths who take the time to heal down scars. When my character was younger and hadn't started refusing tips, she would use the silvers mainly to buy herbs and scar potions. Cleanups just seem a bit lazy.

I didn't find out about cleanup until Ti was in her mid-teens. Before then I just walked around all scarred up or I bought herbs. She was once blind for two levels because I had no clue how to fix her eyes. Finally my old friend Nebulous taught me about cleanup. I was SO grateful I taught him about hunting. I was glad to get the scar spells, though, I didn't feel like a real empath until I had 820.

I enjoy field healing. It makes the profession exciting and different, when you are having to keep track of not only yourself and what you're hunting but the well-being of your hunting partners, deciding which wounds to take, avoiding overstacking, and picking the right times to heal scars to keep yourself from being too wounded to cast at the enemy.

I was never able to keep up with the fast typers or the screen scroll at any of the healing spots. When I'd have the Front Desk or the AI to myself I'd heal there, but when other healers showed up I always got shut out. In that case, I'd go hunting and just heal folks in the field as I ran into them. Of course this was back when an ambush heal was always met with a smile and a 'thanks!' as opposed to a lightning bolt and a cry of 'die, vulture!'.

I have always liked empaths as a whole. . . I had my first taste of GS3 on AOL. At the time, I had no idea what roleplaying was, and my character never amounted to much before I quit. What I do remember, though, was how a TSC empath took me on a short walk, taught me some lessons on hunting and behaving, helped me get properly equipped, and gave me what seemed to be an amazing sum of silvers to start off with. A couple months later, just before I left, I found her again and slipped her my entire bank account without stopping to explain. It wasn't much, but I'd like to think that was the only thing back then that I did right.

I met an empath like that when Ti was still under level 5. She was very nice to me and I think I stuck with the character because she said she tried to help young empaths as so few make it. I remember her rescuing me and my friends from a group of leapers one night, the way she cut them apart with spells (unbalance, I later learned) was nothing short of amazing.

That was the greatest thing about Gemstone to me. The infinite number of ways to roleplay the same profession, race, hometown, etc. It all led to a really fascinating world.

Kimm

Nilandia
11-09-2004, 06:53 PM
I've seen you in action, Meril, and I have nothing but respect for you. Very deep, very thoughtful. One of the few empaths I've seen that I have deep respect for.

Nilandia

4a6c1
11-13-2004, 01:56 AM
:-X

4a6c1
11-13-2004, 02:06 AM
btw

<<Nilandia posted: I am not a puff, thank you. I am not a little ball of fluff who is full of giggles and hugs and likes to munch on chocolate all day without gaining weight.

SHE LIES. its a ruse. she downs the chocolate big time and giggles on command.

*flees*

Nilandia
11-13-2004, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by JihnasSpirit
SHE LIES. its a ruse. she downs the chocolate big time and giggles on command.

*flees*
::pulls out her bone saw and syringe filled with nightshade poison::

Say that again? ::smiles sweetly::

Nilandia

Nilandia
11-13-2004, 03:02 AM
That reminds me. I should post what all I found at the Ebon Gate for fun stuff.

a thin-bladed steel bone saw
a thin-needled zinc syringe
a draught of rose-marrow twist
a flagon of bur-clover juice
a jug of brostheras sap
a decanter of wingstem essence
a decanter of talneo extract
a flask of concentrated bolmara
some sprouted pothinir grass
some twists of aloeas stem
a clump of bitter ephlox moss
a spray of dried woth flowers
a bundle of dried cactacae spine
a sachet of dried torban
a sachet of shredded acantha
a sachet of chopped ambrominas
a packet of anise
a packet of hemlock
a packet of chamomile
a packet of feverfew
a packet of foxglove
a packet of wolfsbane
a packet of jasmine
a packet of mezereon
a packet of nightshade
a white cotton eyepatch
a mixed herb poultice
a fresh white cotton bandage
a linden arm splint
a vial of smelly green potion
a small glaes pot of salve
a silk-threaded needle
a sinew-threaded needle
a thanot berry talisman
an ash leaf charm
a sprig of mistletoe amulet
a clove-strung red cord
a lavender and violets charm pouch
a dried wormwood amulet
a rag and straw doll
a twined juniper bracelet
a twisted hawthorn twig bracelet
a nettle stuffed felt poppet
a sprig of holly
a pinch of saffron
some dandelion leaves
a willow twig
a sprig of sage
a valerian root
a garlic bulb
an angelica root
some thyme leaves
a vanilla bean
some vervain leaves
a mandrake root
some mugwort leaves
some lemon verbena
a sprig of rosemary
a marigold blossom
a four leaf clover
some cowslip petals
a plain maple wood chalice
a sprig of blue vervain
some white rose petals
a pinch of fennel seeds
a bunch of witch hazel leaves
a plump ginger root
some aromatic yarrow leaves
some black rose petals
some lavender buds
some hawthorne berries
a ripe golden pear
a handful of almonds
a blood orange
a handful of wild berries
a handful of dried figs
some shelled black walnuts
a flask of rain water
a tiny red cedar-scented pouch

Add that to....

a roll of pristine cotton bandages
a magenta marillis berry brew
a honey gold sovyn clove brew
a honey gold sovyn clove brew
a fossilized cavegrass charm
an engraved grey stone charm
a lichen-green lizard bone charm
a small oblong moss agate charm
a golden snail shell charm
a leaf-shaped turquoise charm
a thick compress
some dried pothinir grass
a razor-sharp glaes lancet
a gleaming invar lancet
a slender silvery mithril lancet
a diamond-inset ora lancet
a bone-hilted vultite lancet
a thin reed kneeling mat
a modwir leg splint
some smooth garnet worry stones
some smooth ivory worry stones
a spherical silver wire worry-toy

So, anyone want a charm or something? I got stuff to bless AND curse!

Nilandia

4a6c1
11-13-2004, 11:46 PM
I got a bone saw and syringe. I was freakin out about the syringe's. Are those in genre? If they arent, I'm not giving mine up. bwahahahah.

Nilandia
11-14-2004, 01:09 AM
No way I'm giving mine up, either! Good for administering... er... herbs! Yeah, that's it.

Nilandia

AuroralineGS
11-14-2004, 03:08 AM

- Arkans

I had no idea you felt that way, arkans. All the time Auroraline was healing your body and quietly nodding to you in thanks. I'm sure you'd feel much better if I stopped.

:rolleyes:

11-14-2004, 03:16 AM
Oh, I got no problem with getting healed, just the Empaths I really dislike. How the hell can you honest be in a happy mood when covered in wounds? I don't see it. Empath interaction isn't bad if it makes sense, then again, I also don't mind getting robo-healed, gets me on my way quickly. Officially, there are two Empaths that I, as a player, enjoy interaction with: Chica and Nilandia.

- Arkans

Kediaq
11-16-2004, 02:35 PM
I play an empath that is *not* bubbly. In fact, Kediaq can be downright bitter at times. I see Ked as a physician that learned his trade through dilligent study and training of mind and body, a skill that was taught to him by his father. This type of training made him highly spiritual which eventually led him to being religious, after going through his early days as a lost soul.

Kediaq, as a devout follower of Ronan, has a strong dislike for most of 'darker' persuasions, and will not tend to those who have wronged him. However, his sense of duty will often drive him to extremes if his fellow citizens are smitten in combat. He will risk his own life and limb to retrieve the fallen and have them restored.

On the day to day, Kediaq is a sociable, mostly outgoing guy. He is sharply sarcastic and has an awfully corny sense of humor. He will sit in the Market and heal the denizens that come by, with little more than a smile and a nod to hide the pain that his trade causes him. Ked is very vocal to other empaths when they display some of the 'other' qualities some attribute to empaths (insert bubbly, giggly here). He doesn't have a problem trying to whip them into shape.

I'm not sure why I'm writing all this, but it seems like an appropriate place. I just hate the general sentiment that people have about "puffs", and think that whatever we can do to reverse this thinking would be good to try.

-Ked and co.

Eupata
11-18-2004, 10:07 AM
Ked is awesome. One of my favorite empaths. Even if he would rather see my sorcerer rot sometimes because I'm Sheruvian :)

StrayRogue
11-18-2004, 10:09 AM
Shame he blasts how bad Psinet is, then uses and abuses it gratuitously.

Czeska
11-18-2004, 04:07 PM
I think my empath is finally coming into her true personality now, in her early 30s. She is fiercely devoted to her parents and sisters, and is happy in her home. She had an angry, bitter youth (after her parents split up) and was practically hateful for awhile. Then, after relocating, she went through another bit of personal drama which made her virtually reclusive for a time.

After an IC hiatus, she's grown, and moved on. She's pleasant.. though not a bit giggly .. She's tough (hunts banshees at 32 trains, with only one other person about her age to hunt with) .. and she still has a temper. But it doesn't flare as it did in her youth. She can be sarcastic and cutting, and she can be affectionate and endearing. She doesn't hug back if she doesn't know you. She has, however, stopped getting pissed about it.

She takes tremendous pride in her hunting abilities. She bolts well, she shatters well, and she can use any wand/scroll she finds. Mana is rarely an issue.

She gives spells out freely (when she can cast) and doesn't feel healing is her obligation, but her calling (when I'm not in a healing mood, I just don't hang out where people go to be healed). She creates herbs for herself, and other empaths, and for the wounded in case empaths are not around.

I do nod before I heal if someone makes a general request. But mostly I get personal requests, so it's not a big issue. I don't see a ton of vultures where I heal, and those that arrive tend not to stick around.

Aeraelena
01-24-2005, 12:47 AM
I'm actually freaking sick of people bitching about Empaths.

You know what? I've seen tons of Stereotypical Sorcerers, tons of stereotypical rogues, tons of stereotypical warriors.

I RARELY ever heard them get called out on it.

People are going to stick to some stereotypes- because obviously, it's comforting. I mean does everyone honestly think if they bitch enough things are going to change, just because YOU don't like it?

I have other characters besides my Empath, but I enjoy playing my empath the most. Because it is the most social profession I've played, and I like helping others IRL, so it's nice to do it in a fantasy world too. There are a LOT of bad empaths, but then again, there are a lot of BAD people in other professions too. Working my rogue in West Tower can sometimes be just as shitty and vulturish as working my empath in TSC. And to say that empaths don't have risk- if we misjudge our mana, our roundtimes, or our own bloodloss, we die by overhealing. Injuries kill you- and we take on tons of them.

If you don't like Empaths- don't go to one. But seriously, get over it. And that's MY perception of healers.

Jonty
01-24-2005, 01:47 AM
If you don't like Empaths- don't go to one. But seriously, get over it. And that's MY perception of healers.

They were over it... for over two months. ;)

Toxicvixen
01-24-2005, 07:04 AM
There are a LOT of bad empaths, but then again, there are a lot of BAD people in other professions too.

But if you read at the top the title says "Healer Perceptions" Hence the people bitching about Empaths, it was soley created for just that. :grin:

To be on topic - Vultures suck ass.

Ilvane
01-24-2005, 07:34 AM
I think the perception is far off too. I see some of the bouncy happy ones, but certainly not as much as many say.

I'm not one of those either.

-A

Satira
01-30-2005, 05:20 PM
My empath is very social, and she went into the healing profession thinking it would allow her to be the most social. Generally, I feel that it did work out that way.

On the nodding issue, Satira nods to her patients out of respect for the other empaths who are around and throw a fit if someone doesn't. However, if another empath doesn't nod you won't see her yell at them. She usually goes out of her way to talk to empaths that are just starting out and explain to them why people are yelling at them over nodding, clean up, or vulturing. The only thing I've seen that really aggravates me are the empaths who are obviously not at their computer and are running some kind of healing script.

Because she's healed so much, I play her as though her body has adapted to the constant pain/relief fluctuation that you get when healing. So you won't see her making a huge deal over her wounds. However, she's not entirely numb and if the wound is really large you may see her wince. --I'm actually irritated that when you take a severe leg wound it makes you scream when you fall down. I'd prefer to just slump onto the ground and make the decision on whether or not it hurt her.

My favorite interactions are from people who privately whisper to her for help. I figure though, that most people are busy and want to rest after hunting, and not stand around some healer they don't know and chat. I'm not going to go through a 15 minute roleplay with them unless they give some kind of hint that they're interested. When it's a patient that Satira is familiar with, that's when I take a few extra moments... those are the people she would be more concerned with.

Personally, I've found a lot of people have been trying to break away from the empath stereotype and it's actually gotten rather annoying for me as a player. It turns into characters who don't want to interact with other people unless it's showing off just how far they've gotten away from the friendly and helpful stereotype empaths have. So that means, there is less help with clean up and people are less willing to talk to the newer empaths, which there seems to be a lot of lately.

Flurbins
01-30-2005, 10:51 PM
I rolled up an empath for the hot combat skills. Healing is a total pain in the ass. I do bounce giggle skip and tone abuse cheerful so I can be somewhat empath like though.