PDA

View Full Version : Arkans say goodbye to your MS office software.

Sean of the Thread
09-02-2005, 01:03 PM
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/e8fc5cce-1a85-11da-b7f5-00000e2511c8.html

Massachusetts software switch set to hit Microsoft
By Richard Waters in San Francisco
Published: September 1 2005 03:00 | Last updated: September 1 2005 03:00

The state of Massachusetts has laid out a plan to switch all its workers away from Microsoft's Word, Excel and other desktop software applications, delivering what would be one of the most significant setbacks to the software company's battle against open-source software in its home market.

The decision by one of the most populous states in the US could influence others which have yet to consider the issue, said Sam Hiser, an open source consultant and author.

The state said yesterday that all electronic documents "created and saved" by state employees would have to be based on open formats, with the switch to start at the beginning of 2007. Documents created using Microsoft's Office software are produced in formats that are controlled by Microsoft, putting them outside the state's definition.

In a paper laying out its future technology strategy yesterday, the state also specified only two document types that could be used in the future - Open-Document, which is used in open source applications like Open Office, and PDF, a widely used standard for electronic documents.

The switch to open formats such as these was needed to ensure that the state could guarantee that citizens could open and read electronic documents in the future, according to Massachusetts - something that was not possible using closed formats.

The proposal, which is open for comment until the end of next week before it takes effect, would represent a big boost for open source software such as Open Office, which is created by volunteer programmers and made available free of charge.

Like Linux, an open-source operating system that competes with Microsoft's Windows, OpenOffice is widely used in some emerging countries, though it has limited use in the US, said said Mr Hiser.

Microsoft has already taken steps to head off the threat from moves like the one proposed by Massachusetts, applying recognition from a technology industry standards body for recognition of its own formats as open standards.

However, the new formats, due to be used in the next version of Office, which is expected to come out late next year, would still include some proprietary elements, and are specifically excluded from the Massachusetts proposal.

The Office suite of software, which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, produces about 30 per cent of Microsoft's revenues and 40 per cent of operating profits.

Latrinsorm
09-02-2005, 01:07 PM
I hate .pdf a lot. I'd rather use MS any day.

Warriorbird
09-02-2005, 01:08 PM
Adobe makes some other good programs. I hate Acrobat though.

crazymage
09-02-2005, 01:10 PM
i also hate PDF files, but it's true alot of places are using them. Even Phoenix Univ. Went total PDF for all there books (none are hard copies anymore only downloadable but alot cheaper).

Sean of the Thread
09-02-2005, 01:11 PM
I personally like PDF.

Drezzt
09-02-2005, 01:14 PM
If Apple would unbloat acrobat a little, it'd be a fine program. But right now on my 3ghz PC it takes all of 60 seconds just to load up. Feh!

But openoffice? Yeah baby! I"m all about the open source!

Warriorbird
09-02-2005, 01:20 PM
"But right now on my 3ghz PC it takes all of 60 seconds just to load up. Feh!"

Exactly.

Heshinar
09-02-2005, 01:32 PM
"But right now on my 3ghz PC it takes all of 60 seconds just to load up. Feh!"

What are you doing to your computer. My AMD 2400 with 1/2 gig memory opens it in about 30-40 seconds.

Run that virus and anti-spyware program again or close a few windows. Only time it takes me to open like that is when I am opening across the internet then it is DL speed that I am waiting on not application startup.

Celephais
09-02-2005, 01:33 PM
Actually MS is switching to an open xml standard for all their office documents, in the new longhorn edition. I can't remember specifics off the top of my head but I got a newsletter about the switch from msdn at some point recently.

2007... MS might not be affected at all.

Sean of the Thread
09-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Almost instant on my brothers 2ghz.

It takes 45 or seconds on my father's dinosaur. 112 ram Athlon xp 1800.

I think you guys have too much animal pr0n.

Drezzt
09-02-2005, 01:54 PM
What are you doing to your computer. My AMD 2400 with 1/2 gig memory opens it in about 30-40 seconds.

Run that virus and anti-spyware program again or close a few windows. Only time it takes me to open like that is when I am opening across the internet then it is DL speed that I am waiting on not application startup.

Even still, 40 seconds is NOT acceptable. MS Word docs, with photos, take about 3.

Warriorbird
09-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Timed it out at around 35 here. Still annoyingly slow.

Gan
09-02-2005, 03:01 PM
It doesnt suprise me that it happened here first. It was twenty years ago that this movement was first born. Now the philosophy has taken off and with the help of offsprings of the movement (Linux, Firefox, etc) it has gained momentum and popularity.

There is a huge issue devoted to just that in June 2005's Technology Review (http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/06/issue/mag_toc.asp). Here's an excerpt of the first of many to the whole proprietary software debate compiled in this issue:

"Stallman's Good GNUs
Everyone who reads Technology Review must have heard of "free software." It was on MIT's campus twenty years ago that the Free Software Foundation was born; it was an MIT researcher, Richard Stallman, who presided at its birth. Free software is code that carries a promise. Actually, it carries five promises (four explicitly, and one by implication), according to the foundation's definition of free software. Geekily numbered starting with zero, the promises are
(0) The freedom to run the program for any purpose;
(1) The freedom to study how the program works and adapt it to your needs;
(2) The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor;
(3) The freedom to improve the program and release your improvement to the public, so that the whole community benefits.

The first and third freedoms imply a final, and equally important, freedom: access to the source code of the program. Software that offers anyone these freedoms is free; software that compromises any of them is not.

Stallman launched his movement as a reaction to changes in the environment within which software was written. In the world he had known, programmers were a sort of ethical scientist. Coders worked on common problems; they shared the knowledge that their work produced. More than 60 years ago, sociologist Robert Merton said of science, "Incipient and actual attacks upon the integrity of science have led scientists to recognize their dependence on particular types of social structure"; so, too, did Stallman believe that the freedom of programming faced "incipient and actual attacks." Its defense, he believed, would depend upon "particular types of social structure." He thus set out to build one: a social structure that would help coders preserve the integrity that he thought their discipline should have. The foundation of this structure would be a "free" operating system, inspired by Unix, but not actually Unix (and thus cleverly named GNU--GNU's Not Unix)." ...

Source
http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/06/issue/feature_people.2.asp

[Edited on 9-2-2005 by Ganalon]

09-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Big deal. It takes time to open. Frankly, I like the idea. I really do not believe the state should be tied so closely with Microsoft if there are cheaper alternatives that will work just as well.

The only fucking problem will be all our former documents might get screwed up.

We'll see though.

- Arkans

AnticorRifling
09-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Holy shit just save the .doc as a .rtf it's not rocket surgery!

09-02-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm still waiting for the dickhead above me to change his avatar :(

- Arkans

AnticorRifling
09-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Not anytime soon.

The Ponzzz
09-02-2005, 04:10 PM
My job only accepts .pdf files. It blows. Because we only have a reader here, and no program to alter the file if needed to. So we are forced to send it to the production department. So freakin' lame!

And I hate it when people around here go, "Can you pdf this for me?"

09-02-2005, 04:15 PM
You make me cry at night.

- Arkans

Gan
09-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by The Ponzzz
My job only accepts .pdf files. It blows. Because we only have a reader here, and no program to alter the file if needed to. So we are forced to send it to the production department. So freakin' lame!

And I hate it when people around here go, "Can you pdf this for me?"

Check out this free PDF writer program...

http://www.pdf995.com/

Drezzt
09-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Hey Arkans, who's that that's gonna have your babi135?
I crack up every time I see that signature

Skirmisher
09-02-2005, 06:06 PM
While I am a strong advocate of Word and Office, I have found Open Office to work well also and am surely a convert to Firefox.

PDF files really ARE slow as heck for me too though.