PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake Swarms on San Andreas

Apotheosis
09-02-2005, 12:47 AM
http://www.data.scec.org/recenteqs/Maps/116-33.html

anyone care to explain that to me?
I hear that these small swarms are pretty common.

The apocalyptic in me says:

"Welcome to the Apocalypse"

:2beers:

peam
09-02-2005, 12:48 AM
RANDALL FLAGG

Apotheosis
09-02-2005, 12:55 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/059520693X/qid=1125636859/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-2674536-2842352?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

you can still buy that book now, and maybe have a few days to prepare ^

crazymage
09-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Yswithe
http://www.data.scec.org/recenteqs/Maps/116-33.html

anyone care to explain that to me?
I hear that these small swarms are pretty common.

The apocalyptic in me says:

"Welcome to the Apocalypse"

:2beers:

That's because you're a dumb ass.

HarmNone
09-02-2005, 06:22 AM
"Swarms" of earthquakes like that aren't really uncommon at all. They don't, necessarily, mean there will be a big earthquake coming. The San Andreas fault is simply not stable ground. It shifts pretty constantly, as I understand it.

Kainen
09-02-2005, 06:27 AM
I signed up for a Google alert that sends me an email everytime there is an earthquake in CA. Trust me, I get at LEAST one or two emails a day from that, so I would say they aren't all that uncommon at all. If you check out a geological map of CA you'd see that there are a lot of faults in this state and that makes for a lot of earth shifting activity.

HarmNone
09-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Exactly, Kainen. This is really not an unusual event. It's scary to think about, but it isn't really something that portends disaster.

Kainen
09-02-2005, 06:34 AM
It's not that scary if you live here and are used to it :D I got interested in the alerts when I searched for a earthquake map on Google after I felt one up here in Tahoe. (it's odd when you feel an earthquake at 6300ft) You get used to the small tremors enough to where you don't even notice them. I used to live in Vacaville, which is situated right between Sacramento and San Fransisco. Tremors there were nothing to get excited about.

HarmNone
09-02-2005, 06:36 AM
Heh. I used to live in California, as well. I'm well aware of what earthquakes are, and how often the ground trembles. Most people just go on about their business. You can't live your life being afraid that the next tremor will take you out. ;)

Wezas
09-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Not a gaming thread.

I'm moving on.

Sean of the Thread
09-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Hehe I did the same thing.

Seran
09-02-2005, 10:52 AM
I actually live in the southern part of the San Joaquin Valley in California, and let me tell you, it's not uncommon to have between 300-500 micro-earthquakes in any given week. Usually those earthquake swarms are either the fault releasing some tension, are aftershocks to a year or two old earthquake, or in this case, a precursor to that 5.1 we just had by Brawley.

An interesting website I tend to goto is:
http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/step/
What that is, is a website that formulates all relative data into a map giving hypothetical possibilities of large earthquakes. It's been right a number of times now, so if you're interested you might enjoy browsing it every so often.

Apotheosis
09-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Interesting. I know nothing about earthquakes.

Latrinsorm
09-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Yswithe
Interesting. I know nothing about earthquakes. It's the earth's way of saying "MOVE". But we're not going to let some sissy planet boss us around.

crazymage
09-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Maybe instead of googling useless things to post you could google 'fault lines' and learn something.

ElanthianSiren
09-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by a bunch of different people

"I used to live in (insert part of california here)"...

Lucky bastards!!!!!

-M
(with teh jealousy)

Snapp
09-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by ElanthianSiren

Lucky bastards!!!!!

-M
(with teh jealousy)
I dunno about that. The whole "earth shifting a few times a day" thing kinda creeps me out. I'm happy in boring ol' Delaware where we get no hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes or other crazy acts of nature more than once in a blue moon.

Parkbandit
09-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Small, constant earthquakes are nothing to worry about. Start worrying when there are none of those.. it means the pressure is building for a big one.

ElanthianSiren
09-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Snapp

Originally posted by ElanthianSiren

Lucky bastards!!!!!

-M
(with teh jealousy)
I dunno about that. The whole "earth shifting a few times a day" thing kinda creeps me out. I'm happy in boring ol' Delaware where we get no hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes or other crazy acts of nature more than once in a blue moon.

I would still like to live there awhile and see what it's like. The NO area was first on my list, just for its history (I love history) and vibrance. The west coast is a close second. I have lived in the midwest and the east coast. Too long in one place, and I get itchy. It's the romanian pedigree :P

-M